Vince Wilfork restructured his contract

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kelvana33. Show kelvana33's posts

Re: Vince Wilfork restructured his contract

I like the way Vince handles himself. I wish him well.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Archer1. Show Archer1's posts

Glad Vince will be staying...I thought this would be the outcome all along despite the strange media/PR timeline and reports. 

So bottom line...

This financially does what for the Pats? It saves them 2.6M from the cap for this season? What does this leave them with under the cap? 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from SportsGenius1. Show SportsGenius1's posts

First off congrats to VW and the Patriots. Vince must have finally told mama too be quiet. Good for both sides VW gets a chance to end his career in New England, while New England has a chance to draft a guy in the second tier and develope him. If VW can play at 80% of his former self along with Tommy Kelly and the kids from last year the D-line should be much better especially with a healthy Mayo returning along with the big offseason additions Revis and Browner.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

The Patriots would never sign a $22m contract unless the player was probably going to be healthy.  I notice that they didn't release Wilfork from his last year, $7.5 million contract.  They tried to tell his agent, he's not worth it, then Wilfork gave them an emotional reason to release him, but the front office wouldn't do the deed.

That's because Wilfork is recovering, so far, from his injury.  That's the real news. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to SportsGenius1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

First off congrats to VW and the Patriots. Vince must have finally told mama too be quiet. Good for both sides VW gets a chance to end his career in New England, while New England has a chance to draft a guy in the second tier and develope him. If VW can play at 80% of his former self along with Tommy Kelly and the kids from last year the D-line should be much better especially with a healthy Mayo returning along with the big offseason additions Revis and Browner.

[/QUOTE]

If Vince, Kelly and Armstead are healthy... Mayo back... Hightower in a more comfortable position... Collins building off his strong last quarter of the year... the talent and depth in the secondry... add  young pass rusher in the draft to give Nink and CJ some help... 

This could be a very interesting year defensively.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mediumsizednuts. Show Mediumsizednuts's posts

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Him and Brady, off into the sunset together!!  Nice image!!  (-;

[/QUOTE] Brokeback Mountain remake?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from proftom2. Show proftom2's posts

Vince is a force. He is a once in a lifetime type of player. He will be well rested and in great shape.  Actually looking foward to this this yeas defense. 

My take on offense is they add a RB and TE in the draft. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to stillgridlocked's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Great news though now they probably won't draft Hageman even if he is available at 29.

Let's cross our fingers that VW stays healthy.

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say that. Kelly and WIlfork won't be around forever and Jones, Vellano, and Silga were alright but not starter caliber. BB tends to play against the strength of the draft and DT isn't a strength. Not to mention Hageman has Watt type of upside and you know how BB has drooled over his measurables. I'd say there is still a good shot at Hageman, Tuitt, Nix, or D. Jones in this draft

[/QUOTE]

Wilfork, Kelly, Jones & Hageman would be unstoppable with the extra few seconds the revamped secondary is going to create.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from SLGDEV. Show SLGDEV's posts

I think this is great news.  As I said in another thread earlier, that no matter what happens I will still wear my Wilfork jersey when I watch the Pats play.

His cap numbers increase next year (barring another renogiation), but we recover $8.5M of Hernandez dead money cap space.  If VW play tot he VW level, he wil be worth it.  If not, the Pats have an option there.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

Good news, but all the asking for release stuff was dumb.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MTPat. Show MTPat's posts

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

BB kind of alluded to the fact that he didn't actually ask for a release.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Will be interesting to see the full details, but the deal seems very fair to Vince.  It gives him a guarantee he didn't have and appears to preserve the $8 million he was scheduled to get under his old contract.  

Again, until the details are released it's hard to tell, but the deal doesn't seem to give the Pats as much of a cap saving as I would have expected.  If, however, it turns out that some of Wilfork's $8 million this year is based on "unlikely to be earned" playing incentives (which don't have to be accounted against the cap until the year after they are earned), then maybe the deal is more cap friendly than it seems. Generally, an incentive is considered "likely to be earned" if the player achieved the performance goal the prior year and "unlikely to be earned" if the player didn't meet the performance goal the prior year.  If Wilfork's contract has incentives for number of snaps, I believe the incentives may be considered "unlikely to be earned"  because Wilfork had limited snaps last year, unless there's some provision that adjusts Wilfork's actual snaps last year to account for the fact that he only played a partial season.  

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

In response to harleyroadking1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to agcsbill's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Him and Brady, off into the sunset together!!  Nice image!!  (-;

[/QUOTE]

with their combined speed that might take awhile

[/QUOTE]

Means we get to enjoy their presence longer!  (-;

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have not seen details, but Schefter said it is 1/$8 with 2 options on years

Schefter also said Vince could have seen more on the open market....didn't say who. 

[/QUOTE]

Looks like The Patriot Way is alive and well in Foxboro. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In response to MTPat's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to redsoxfan94's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

BB kind of alluded to the fact that he didn't actually ask for a release.

[/QUOTE]

That's good to hear.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ANumber1Roy. Show ANumber1Roy's posts

For all those those people that said he couldn't get anything close to 7+ million a year on the open market I told you so and you guys have no clue how the league values Wilfork as a top DT in the league.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I'm happy that Vince is back.  This probably means the injury isn't as bad as advertised.  I was surprised on how many where ready to see Vince gone and not have it be a catrostrophic situation.  That's a huge hole to fill.  The Pats would probably have to trade up to get a DT.  Now they can look at the DE instead.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to rameakap's comment:

In response to stillgridlocked's comment:

Great news though now they probably won't draft Hageman even if he is available at 29.

Let's cross our fingers that VW stays healthy.

Kony Ealy or Dee Ford

where ya been. been promoting in your absence. :)  before i read your thoughts.

greatest team need is a legit 2nd pass rusher. then the blocking and catching te, o line, d line, cover lb, safety

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Good news for both sides.  I totally agree with ghostofjri37 - this could be a very interesting defense.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

rkarp strikes again.

So where is everyone calling Wilfork greedy, washed up, and old now? It appears the Pats were willing to give him close to what he was going to make this year regardless so they must think differently

[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't call this contract an indication that he isn't washed up, and he clearly is old. As far as greedy, I for one never called him that.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

[QUOTE]

rkarp strikes again.

So where is everyone calling Wilfork greedy, washed up, and old now? It appears the Pats were willing to give him close to what he was going to make this year regardless so they must think differently

[/QUOTE]

Well I'm here and I still wish they would have released him, but this is clearly good for both sides, so hard to complain.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Very happy Vinny is staying. Even if he is not in his prime he is an import part of this D. Dont underestimate that. Recall how much of a drop off there was without him (and yes Mayo who does not get enough recognition around here sometimes).

I do still hope they look to one of 2 DTs in draft. Hageman, Tuitt, I even like Urban. Maybe Nix. Not sure who will be there in round 1 or 2. I also want guard Filo but our only shot at him will be round 1... maybe. Too bad we dont have a trade for Mallet (or will we???) to move a third or 4th rounder to a high second rounder so we could try for one of the better DTs and Filo.

Then get a big strong TE with anotehr pick. Maybe Urban later too... but I dont think BB is going to view these guys the way I am... I am guessing...

Sections
Shortcuts