visits

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

visits

understand Dusty Keller is coming in for a visit. Always liked him, and if healthy I think he can make this team out of camp. Would assume if he is offered it will be a min "make good" deal.

also hear WSmith is a done deal, but Pats doing some other things before announcing

was also told Sid Rice was coming for a visit and was almost en route from his Jets meeting but then the Hawks signed him prior to his coming 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Re: visits

Keller shredded his knee last year, about as bad as you can tear it up. If he can make it back he would be a value, low risk, signing for sure. Miami would like to re-sign him as well.

Smith could be the Carter of a few seasons ago, again low risk value.

I was wondering if the Pats would look at Rice. Such an enigma, very talented, very injury prone.

The Pats are in the value season of shopping now, hope they hook a few more pieces of the puzzle.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Thanks for the info! Liked Keller when he was healthy...who knows? Maybe he can become a decent player again.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from APpats22. Show APpats22's posts

Keller would be a nice addition as long as its a min type of deal. Hopefully he's healed up and ready prove himself if we sign him.

"I don’t know. I think Tom is probably the best leader I’ve ever been around so I wouldn’t be too critical of him. " - BB

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

I would like Keller here. He was a good talent and had some good games vs us, I remember Mayo not being able to check him in the Favre game years back. He did have one of the most devastatin knee injuries Ive seen.

I wouldnt want him to rush back. If he signs, he likely isnt ready till midseason and if Gronk is on pup, we still have a need for opening day starter and we saw Hooman be the starter and do next to nothing. BB always trying to find lighting in a bottle. Why not just a get a sure thing, albeit less dynamic in a Heath Miller. 2 year stopgap? Great Blocker, Always K*lls the pats in the passing game regardless of being slow.

"Take care of my B*tch, I may need her back in a couple years"

Brady to Manning after Wes signed with Denver

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

Keller would give the Pats two of Rustys most overrated players, and two ex-Jets. Someone better put a watch on him, he might OD on strawberry kush...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

No idea on his medicals, but if they're comfortable with them, Keller would be an excellent low cost, low risk option at move TE... I was hoping they'd target him at some point.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Keller shredded his knee last year, about as bad as you can tear it up. If he can make it back he would be a value, low risk, signing for sure. Miami would like to re-sign him as well.

I was wondering if the Pats would look at Rice. Such an enigma, very talented, very injury prone.

The Pats are in the value season of shopping now, hope they hook a few more pieces of the puzzle.

[/QUOTE]

just my opinion, both in their prime, Smith was 10 times the player Carter ever was. Today, assuming health, Smith is far superior the player that Carter is. Smith IMO could come in and play like Kelly did last year before injury

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

just my opinion, both in their prime, Smith was 10 times the player Carter ever was. Today, assuming health, Smith is far superior the player that Carter is. Smith IMO could come in and play like Kelly did last year before injury

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

IDk about that. There stats are surprisingly similar except that Carter has always been a starter and had a double digit sack season 3 years ago. Smith hasnt done that since 2009 and playing for the Saints I would think

he had lots more opportunities to rush the passer with Drew Brees jumping out to big leads in contrast the Redskins having one of the worst offenses for a while until RG3 arrived. So he did more with less oppty's and in terms of tackles,

the numbers are about the same as well. Only thing Will Smith has going for him now is he is that he came in 3 years After Carter so he SHOULD be a better player now but that remains to be seen. I hope W.Smith can help but it sounds like

you are overating him if you think he can trump Carters 2010 season here.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

IDk about that. There stats are surprisingly similar except that Carter has always been a starter and had a double digit sack season 3 years ago. Smith hasnt done that since 2009 and playing for the Saints I would think

he had lots more opportunities to rush the passer with Drew Brees jumping out to big leads in contrast the Redskins having one of the worst offenses for a while until RG3 arrived. So he did more with less oppty's and in terms of tackles,

the numbers are about the same as well. Only thing Will Smith has going for him now is he is that he came in 3 years After Carter so he SHOULD be a better player now but that remains to be seen. I hope W.Smith can help but it sounds like

[/QUOTE]

cant compare the players statistics. Carter plays at about 255. Smith plays at about 305. Carter can rush the passer, or used to be able to rush the passer, and wasnt too succesful in mahy of his seasons. Smith can play DE or thinking some DT here. Stout against the run, and can get after tha passer.

Carter has 13 seasons in, and I have thought he was above average in 4 of them...I have thought Smith a perrenial Pro Bowl caliber player even though he hasnt gotten the nod

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

Keller is injury prone and sucks.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Although I think Smith is the better overall player than Carter, you have to remember the type of shape Carter kept himself in. There aren't too many people on the planet built like Carter and that has to be considered when talking about players this old, so although Carter may not of had the better career, or been as versatile...he may be a better player than Smith after 33.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

oh boy

someone finally figured it out...   Vaca Over!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

[/QUOTE]

cant compare the players statistics. Carter plays at about 255. Smith plays at about 305. Carter can rush the passer, or used to be able to rush the passer, and wasnt too succesful in mahy of his seasons. Smith can play DE or thinking some DT here. Stout against the run, and can get after tha passer.

Carter has 13 seasons in, and I have thought he was above average in 4 of them...I have thought Smith a perrenial Pro Bowl caliber player even though he hasnt gotten the nod

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Thats fair if you are basing it on position flexibilty as Carter  upon arriving here in 10' said he only wants to play DE but I just thought it was a bit of  an exxageration to say he was 10 X the player Carter was. I dont see how you quantify that but Hey, If W.Smith can come in

and duplicate Carters 10' season or better I wont complain.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

the 10 times the player comment is a figure of speech. I cannot quantify something like that. However, Smith was a player that teams continuously had to game plan for. Carter was not. I actually thought Carters 49'er career would go down as a disappointing one. He redeeemd himself as a Redskin, and I feel his time as a Patriot was more about being an elder statesman that helped get back a locker room. I am not down playing his sack total that 1 year, but a lot of those sacks were when Wilfork was at his ultimate peak. Even Anderson was able to get to the QB that year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would expect you to post that...no surprise there.

I thought Keller when healthy was pretty productive with a below average QB throwing to him. IN passing situations, I would much prefer to see a healthy Keller spread out rather than Hooman. Certainly 1)Gronk, 2)a high draft choice at TE, 3) Keller and 4) Hooman would allow the Pats some matchup advantages over numerous defenses.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I would expect you to post that...no surprise there.

I thought Keller when healthy was pretty productive with a below average QB throwing to him. IN passing situations, I would much prefer to see a healthy Keller spread out rather than Hooman. Certainly 1)Gronk, 2)a high draft choice at TE, 3) Keller and 4) Hooman would allow the Pats some matchup advantages over numerous defenses.

[/QUOTE]

You just love all things jets.  Admit it already.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

not true. I only love some things Jets. Revis, Cro, Wilkerson, Richardson, D'Brick, Mangold, Ivory, Folk....I would have no issue with any of them on the Pats. I would also include a healthy Keller to that list.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Andre Williams went through the Patriots' mental interview tests. 

I think Williams might be the real deal for this team.  At 230 pounds and with gorilla arms, he may become the best pass-blocking RB that Tom Brady has seen. 

He can also block out a defender with his body and outreach the defender to catch a pass.  You don't have to be tall to block out but you do need strength and long arms.  He was a rather smooth pass catcher at his pro day but he never caught the ball much at BC.  That always might be a quarterback issue.  It looks like BC only had two plays:  1. hand it off to the fat guy and let him plow, and 2.  fake it to the fat guy so that all the defenders go after him, then throw the ball to someone else.

Can he actually run?  Meh.  At least he can punish.  Good vertical explosion, just not much on lateral explosion or yards after contact.  He's not an Edelman.  All he has to be is himself, and a little bit of a Blount would be nice.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Andre Williams went through the Patriots' mental interview tests. 

I think Williams might be the real deal for this team.  At 230 pounds and with gorilla arms, he may become the best pass-blocking RB that Tom Brady has seen. 

He can also block out a defender with his body and outreach the defender to catch a pass.  You don't have to be tall to block out but you do need strength and long arms.  He was a rather smooth pass catcher at his pro day but he never caught the ball much at BC.  That always might be a quarterback issue.  It looks like BC only had two plays:  1. hand it off to the fat guy and let him plow, and 2.  fake it to the fat guy so that all the defenders go after him, then throw the ball to someone else.

Can he actually run?  Meh.  At least he can punish.  Good vertical explosion, just not much on lateral explosion or yards after contact.  He's not an Edelman.  All he has to be is himself, and a little bit of a Blount would be nice.

[/QUOTE]

He also took a visit with the Steelers

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Smith would help a problem but not solve it. He can give rotational sub rushing reps either at LB or DE but they would still need another LB and would like another younger DE too.

Keller would be like a Ballard type of move. You bring him into camp and see what he can do but in no way should you count on him to play. I'd still draft a TE high this year. But, signing Keller might mean yo don't need to double dip or take a developmental conversion like Thomas

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Smith would help a problem but not solve it. He can give rotational sub rushing reps either at LB or DE but they would still need another LB and would like another younger DE too.

Keller would be like a Ballard type of move. You bring him into camp and see what he can do but in no way should you count on him to play. I'd still draft a TE high this year. But, signing Keller might mean yo don't need to double dip or take a developmental conversion like Thomas

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

[/QUOTE]

I don't think Smith is ever going to play OLB. Expect him to rotate with Nink and Jones at DE with maybe some snaps inside in a sub D

I agree with the Ballard comp. Keller may be in a 4 man TE rotation, and by all means use a 2nd or 3rd on a TE

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Like the Keller move and I was hoping that sign Smith.  Both of 'em low risk, high reward type signings, imo.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Like the Keller move and I was hoping that sign Smith.  Both of 'em low risk, high reward type signings, imo.

[/QUOTE]

Agree. Seems the Smith deal is agreed to but not announced pending other Pats moves. I am not sure if that means current player moves, contracts or the draft. Could it be if a player is available in the draft at DE and the Pats select, that Smith can back out?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from stillgridlocked. Show stillgridlocked's posts

[QUOTE]understand Dusty Keller is coming in for a visit. Always liked him, and if healthy I think he can make this team out of camp. Would assume if he is offered it will be a min "make good" deal.

also hear WSmith is a done deal, but Pats doing some other things before announcing

was also told Sid Rice was coming for a visit and was almost en route from his Jets meeting but then the Hawks signed him prior to his coming.[/QUOTE]

Love hearing W Smith is coming.  

RKarp is better than an ESPN subscription!

Sections
Shortcuts