Vollmer and Fells Updates

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

Re: Vollmer and Fells Updates

Finally, Football season is here... :-)

The ONLY worry I have this year is our O-line - if we can get a healthy Sea Bass and Waters back - that would be almost unfair :-)

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Vollmer and Fells Updates:
    [QUOTE]All football talk here the past two days... love it
    Posted by sporter81[/QUOTE]

+1

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vollmer and Fells Updates : Yeah, this is the kind of news and stuff that I like to talk about here, I think that most of us do. Since they banned babe the argument threads have been gone, its all football talk now.  IMO this is our biggest concern as of now, getting him back, hopefully staying healthy makes this team just about flawless, or as good as it could be in the salary cap era.

"just about flawless"

our offense this year will be as flawless as the o line allows them to be (we seem set everywhere else) and as  mcdaniels playcallng allows them to be. bad playcalling, game mgt, gameplan will
    give a game away (like last yr sb).

the defense will be as flawless i believe as the cb's play (we're set everywhere else on d it seems).

i saw 3 weaknesses to our team going into camp
        O line
        one cb short
        kick returner

and a little depth for wilfork.

with the addition of demps,
    if vollmer is indeed back healthy
     mankins knee holds up
    and waters comes in.

then in the offseason/draft wed just need 1 starting cb
    and shoring up some positions with young guys for the future:
    at dt, o line, wr.

really wish wed made a play for finnegan in the offseason. tough dude and plays the monster wr's well.

arrington isnt a starting cb, though he has been put there in pracice
    mccourty has to prove he isnt teh worst cb in the league as he was last year.
    dowling looks good when he stays healthy.

based on last year, moore was our 2nd best cb.

so if these guys overperform we'll be ok.
    otherwise we still have issues at a critical position

you gotta be able to cover man some in this league or good qbs will pick your bones and drive down field. waste a lot of clock even if you hold them to a field goal.

keep brady upright and it should be a banner year

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]I say don't rush Vollmer back. Give Cannon as much play time as possible, it will only make the team better by the end of the season.
    Posted by anonymis[/QUOTE]

+1
    though so far cannon looks much more a guard

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Finally, Football season is here... :-) The ONLY worry I have this year is our O-line - if we can get a healthy Sea Bass and Waters back - that would be almost unfair :-)
    Posted by PatFanInBA2[/QUOTE]

+1

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vollmer and Fells Updates : Oh, I agree with you Port. I have been defending the O-line on this board for a while now. I think it has been one of the most consistent units on the team. I personally think Cannon will be a special player for us, despite what the media consensus is so far. Still losing Matt Light and Volmer being held out you could nit-pick and say the position has the  weakest depth on the team. As I said though I have no fear with coach Scar running this O-line, he might make a pro-bowler out of a 4rth stringer!
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

Nice post Champ ..Thanks and to others here.

My feeling on Cannon is that scar has been on his case in camp, as reported. I think Cannon will be coached up by Scar and will be a concrete starter for the future. It may be that Marcus is thinking too much about what Scar wants him to do relative to technique and/or certain blocks, vs to his own natural technique and habits.

Looks like BB is taken a cautious tow on Vollmer but making sure he's getting into shape. The line is settling in nicely now and we may only see it together for a coupla qtrs in last per-season game.

Have a good night ...

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I'd like to get these guys back healthy but Coach Scar will have the line ready no matter who is out there. I don't think that there is a better o-line coach in the league.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

[QUOTE]I'd like to get these guys back healthy but Coach Scar will have the line ready no matter who is out there. I don't think that there is a better o-line coach in the league.

Not even debatable about Scar, sporter! Keep up your good work.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]I'd like to get these guys back healthy but Coach Scar will have the line ready no matter who is out there. I don't think that there is a better o-line coach in the league.

scar is, but to this point, cannon is getting eaten up at T
    hell need some more work and imo should not start a tcakle this year

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I wonder what they're going to do with these tight ends and fullbacks that aren't practicing...I imagine they must have somewhere around 4 million tied up in them all. Fells is supposed to be a decent player and so is the guy from the Vikings - I can't imagine them keeping both (especially without getting out there in camp). I mean, were these two signed injured? And what about Fanene? That one is starting to worry me a bit, because we need that guy and we were aggressive in signing him. The tight ends and fullbacks are nowhere near as big a deal as this guy.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vollmer and Fells Updates : Assuming Vollmer is healty by early season. THat means we have Vollmer, Solder and Canon (who may not be looking special so far this preseason but he looked OK last year when he had chances, especially considering he was a rookie and getting over a dangerous disease. PLUS McDonald is a good solid back up. That means two good starters and, I think, 2 good backups. So how is this thin? How many teams have that kind of depth? How many Ts are we supposed to ahve that can start a full season? Sorry but I think that we have solid depth across the O line. - I do understand how it "feels" thin lately with the injuries and all. But I think it is a strength. And by the way, BB can always ask Light if he can suit it up for a late season run if there are key injuries. ANd who knows, maybe he would do it for a 10-12 week shot at a ring.
    Posted by portfolio1[/QUOTE]

Completely agree. We have been listening to a lot of the Sky is falling crowd. I also feel we may get our PS picked dry, losing both Hix and Kopa. Not to mention cut vets like Thomas and Richard. Not bad for an OL that most were crying was so thin...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

Well its now official. Both Vollmer and Fells have PASSED their physicals and can practice in pads on Tuesday...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

[QUOTE]Well its now official. Both Vollmer and Fells have PASSED their physicals and can practice in pads on Tuesday...
    Posted by part-timer[/QUOTE]

Excellent!  Vollmer is a guy who if could stay healthy would be among the best tackles in the NFL. I remember his rookie year having to come into a game at LT against the Colts and shutting down Freeney. He was near perfect in every game that year.