vollmer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

vollmer

I knew that Bill's call would be a hot topic but I came away with something else.  We now have a LT.  There's one part of the puzzle we don't have to look for next draft.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from sox148927. Show sox148927's posts

Re: vollmer

with each week matt light is coming coming closer to getting wally pipped, better yet drew bledsoe'd...i wonder if light can transition to the right side at this point of his career??

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Good point.  Vollmer had some struggles against the Bucs, but overall he has been a total stud.  He's played against some good defenders and handled himself.  Too bad Light couldn't replace Kaczur...

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from smorgan86. Show smorgan86's posts

In Response to Re: vollmer:
    [QUOTE]with each week matt light is coming coming closer to getting wally pipped, better yet drew bledsoe'd...i wonder if light can transition to the right side at this point of his career??
    Posted by sox148927[/QUOTE]

Vollmer was fantastic! He handled Freeney all night. May be tough for Matt Light to get back in the lineup..at least on the left. Vollmer is a budding star.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Harleyroadking99. Show Harleyroadking99's posts

Were there any comments from Dwight Freeney?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

He did a great job.

Does he have a brother that can play RT.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from arodrambone. Show arodrambone's posts

If Light isn't a good fit at RT, it might make sense to move Vollmer over there.

Light is a quality LT. Certainly a better LT than Kaczur is at RT.

Replace the weakest link?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrtm70. Show mrtm70's posts

[QUOTE]If Light isn't a good fit at RT, it might make sense to move Vollmer over there. Light is a quality LT. Certainly a better LT than Kaczur is at RT. Replace the weakest link?
    Posted by arodrambone[/QUOTE]

That wouldn't be good...leaving TB's blind side sometimes open compared to almost never.  Vollmer will remain on the left side.

The real question is would Matt light stay as a back-up at LT? if he could move to the RT?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bchan89. Show bchan89's posts

Sea Bass stays on the left, Light to the Right, Kazur is now the swing tackle and if my brain is working correctly I believe Kazur has played guard for the Pats in a pinch.  If Light does come back and moves to the right side when healthy the Pats could have the best line in Football until they have to run the rock.....

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from DFree93HOF. Show DFree93HOF's posts

[QUOTE]Were there any comments from Dwight Freeney?
    Posted by Harleyroadking99[/QUOTE]

Yeah, after the game he gave Vollmer props.  Said that the rookie did a very good job.  I'm going to agree with you guys, Vollmer is gonna be a good, if not great, LT for years to come.  He has prototypical LT size and he's pretty quick off the ball.  I did see a post from a fellow Colts fan saying he saw Vollmer holding Freeney all night but I didn't see it.  Sure, Vollmer got help (not too many LT's in the NFL can handle Freeny one on one all night) but for the most part he more than held his own.  It's a terrible situation you have there.  Two good LT's when most NFL teams are looking for one.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Light needs to practice to take Kaczur's job. He was terrible.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

Loved watching him throw Freeny like a rag doll!!!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from DFree93HOF. Show DFree93HOF's posts

[QUOTE]Loved watching him throw Freeny like a rag doll!!!!!
    Posted by ccsjl[/QUOTE]

Yeah but there were a few times that Vollmer got up off his azz too.  I saw Freeney put the spin cycle on him a few times, while Vollmer was looking for his jock, but good guard play prevented him from getting the sack.  I think it was Mankins who was there both times I saw Freeney spin past Vollmer.  Pats have a good line.  Vollmer should be there for a long time.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ccsjl. Show ccsjl's posts

The mighty Freeny too bad the ROOKIE broke his sack streak..........

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrogLegs. Show FrogLegs's posts

I am impressed: a Colt fan who is not trolling around! Smile
    I am a Pat fan but one has to admit that Freeney is a beast.
    You are right, Mankins helped the rookie on some occasions against Freeney.
    Kaczur need to be replaced, he couldn't hold his ground against Robert Mathis.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Anyone know matt light's contract length and terms?  Is it possible they look to trade him in the offseason?                                                                           

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PeaceLaur. Show PeaceLaur's posts

[QUOTE]Anyone know matt light's contract length and terms?  Is it possible they look to trade him in the offseason?                                                                           
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

Matt Light is signed through the 2010 season. He's making 5.97 million dollars this season and will make 4.5 million dollars next season. After that, he'll be a free agent.

Edit: By the way, Vollmer will be making $395,000 in 2010, so it's quite a difference. I still can't believe they snagged such a beast late in the 2nd round.

I'm not knowledgeable at all about trades, so I'm not sure what to expect there. I do wonder if the Pats might decide to use Light as a chip to get a good running back, though.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Well, atleast if Brady can see the pass rush coming like he did on Sunday, he can elude the defenders. I would rather have Light at RT than leaving him at LT. Vollmer held his own against an All-pro, the last time we saw Matt Light, he was holding the door open for T-Suggs to get a sack-strip on Brady.

Did anyone see Brady moving in the pocket? It was like looking at poetry in motion.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: vollmer : Matt Light is signed through the 2010 season. He's making 5.97 million dollars this season and will make 4.5 million dollars next season. After that, he'll be a free agent. Edit: By the way, Vollmer will be making $395,000 in 2010, so it's quite a difference. I still can't believe they snagged such a beast late in the 2nd round. I'm not knowledgeable at all about trades, so I'm not sure what to expect there. I do wonder if the Pats might decide to use Light as a chip to get a good running back, though.
    Posted by PeaceLaur[/QUOTE]
    Thanks for the info.  If Vollmer keeps playing well I don't see them sitting him, I also don't see the Pats letting a pro bowl caliber player sit on the bench when he has value.  I don't know how difficult it is for a tackle to change sides.  Has anybody ever done that in the NFL successfully?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PeaceLaur. Show PeaceLaur's posts

[QUOTE]Well, atleast if Brady can see the pass rush coming like he did on Sunday, he can elude the defenders. I would rather have Light at RT than leaving him at LT. Vollmer held his own against an All-pro, the last time we saw Matt Light, he was holding the door open for T-Suggs to get a sack-strip on Brady. Did anyone see Brady moving in the pocket? It was like looking at poetry in motion.
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

When he shrugged out of the attempted sack, shifted in the pocket, and hit Edelman for that TD pass, I could have cried it was so beautiful.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PeaceLaur. Show PeaceLaur's posts

No specific examples are coming to mind, but I'm sure it's been done. I know Michael Oher is playing at RT for the Ravens after playing LT for most of his college career.

BB prizes versatility in his players and loves it when they can fill more than one role. Kaczur has filled in at LT in a pinch, so I'm pretty sure Light could play RT.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: vollmer : When he shrugged out of the attempted sack, shifted in the pocket, and hit Edelman for that TD pass, I could have cried it was so beautiful.
    Posted by PeaceLaur[/QUOTE]

You also forget the play when he put a spin move on a LB and made enough time to pass the ball. 

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PeaceLaur. Show PeaceLaur's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: vollmer : You also forget the play when he put a spin move on a LB and made enough time to pass the ball. 
    Posted by 49Patriots[/QUOTE]

I did! Shame on me. That was also amazing. His instincts in the pocket are just unreal.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from slong2009. Show slong2009's posts

Glad to see the Nation in Agreement.  Vollmer must play and I gotta say Brady is safer with him on the left.  Love Vollmer Mankins together both for run and for pass.
    I have never understood why Light was so well regarded but of late he has been more of a liability than an asset.  Mathis had a great game and is a great player.  I dont think Kazcur is all that bad.  Would Light be an upgrade on the right?  Willing to see but I doubt it.  Will be sad if Light coming back puts SEB on the bench.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

[QUOTE]Glad to see the Nation in Agreement.  Vollmer must play and I gotta say Brady is safer with him on the left.  Love Vollmer Mankins together both for run and for pass. I have never understood why Light was so well regarded but of late he has been more of a liability than an asset.  Mathis had a great game and is a great player.  I dont think Kazcur is all that bad.  Would Light be an upgrade on the right?  Willing to see but I doubt it.  Will be sad if Light coming back puts SEB on the bench.
    Posted by slong2009[/QUOTE]

if bb did that, it would be worse than going for it on 4th and 2.