Vollmer

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Vollmer

concerned on his health and his pending free agency. argueably the best RT in football this year, can you offer long term with his health?

is he franchised rather than Wes? it is widely assumed Wes isnt going any where even if it means the "tag", but is the "tag" better served on Vollmer?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from csylvia79. Show csylvia79's posts

Re: Vollmer

I don't think many teams are going to bid on him with how many games he can miss with his back issues. I could be wrong.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

There's probably a market for him but I think the back issues will limit his appeal.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

concerned on his health and his pending free agency. argueably the best RT in football this year, can you offer long term with his health?

is he franchised rather than Wes? it is widely assumed Wes isnt going any where even if it means the "tag", but is the "tag" better served on Vollmer?

I agree he is a stud but did have a disagreement a before the year started that he would he be retained. When he plays, he is at the top of his profession and you dont hear a peep and on the other hand, he has a back issue which wont go away ever, its just gonna be week to week and how he feels with it so they know more than us but if its not huge money I say go for it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I don't know if I'd go giving a guy that has back problems 10 million a year, we already have a 30 million dollar guard that unfortunately can't play much and help us. I just think if you're going to tie up two huge contracts on your offensive line, it can't go to guys that have injury problems. Any chance they cut Mankins? He plays guard - I'd rather pay a tackle than a guard, plus I think drafting a good guard might be easier than finding a tackle in the draft. I like what Mankins brings to the table, but the guy is a guard coming off an ACL injury. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

Vollmer has yet to show his health issues are resolved. He's still missing games. There ain't no Linemen in the NFL with bad backs. I'm hoping he's not going to go the way of Kazur.

Mankins, glad they re-signed him. However high salaries come with high demands. Mankins contract becomes a boat anchor in the NFL world if you can't stay on the field.

Harsh for sure but that's life in the NFL. It's also what keeps the NFL competitive year to year. You don't get stuck with bad contracts like baseball and basketball.

You don't pull the wagon....you are sent to the glue factory.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from dapats1281. Show dapats1281's posts

He will definitely have a market. There are too many teams with oline deficiencies.

Here's an interesting idea though:

Should the Pats sign Jake Long instead of Vollmer?

Both are injury prone, but when completely healthy, Jake Long is a top 3 LT. Not too often you see a franchise LT on the open market.

Lets just say Long will get twice as much as Vollmer on the open market.

If it works out, you have an All-Pro at LT, and you have a pretty good RT in Solder

If it doesn't work out, you keep Solder at LT and play Long at RT. If Long is injured all the time, then you risk the guaranteed money

I guess it depends on how risk adverse you are. It's a huge risk. I am not a huge fan of paying big bucks for a FA...but Oline is different, let alone LT. Oh, and imagine what could happen if Scar got to coach him a bit. Long is still very young and could potentially anchor the line for years to come.

They'll probably just go for Vollmer. But it's an interesting thought.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from krismk. Show krismk's posts

In response to dapats1281's comment:

He will definitely have a market. There are too many teams with oline deficiencies.

Both are injury prone, but when completely healthy, Jake Long is a top 3 LT. Not too often you see a franchise LT on the open market.

If it works out, you have an All-Pro at LT, and you have a pretty good RT in Solder

If it doesn't work out, you keep Solder at LT and play Long at RT. If Long is injured all the time, then you risk the guaranteed money

I guess it depends on how risk adverse you are. It's a huge risk. I am not a huge fan of paying big bucks for a FA...but Oline is different, let alone LT. Oh, and imagine what could happen if Scar got to coach him a bit. Long is still very young and could potentially anchor the line for years to come.

Interesting idea DAPats...do you think Long will command the big $?  Where else would Miami use their franchise tag? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

"Should the Pats sign Jake Long instead of Vollmer?"

i wrote that on the board last night. they should know betterthan us if this back is going ot be an every year thing, hurting his performance and or knocking him off the field.. if so, long to right tackle......

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

I think Vollmer is having a much better year than long. So is Solder. Long has been living off of rep for 2 years

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

I think Vollmer is having a much better year than long. So is Solder. Long has been living off of rep for 2 years

but his back wont take him off teh field every other game for the rest of hsi career.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

but his back wont take him off teh field every other game for the rest of hsi career.

Thats not a reason to overpay Long

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to bredbru's comment:

Thats not a reason to overpay Long

underpay or overpay, yes having a top level healthy tackle is something that is important for a super bowl team. cannon aint goning to do it.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Interesting outside the box thinking. I don't think I'd do it for a couple of reasons...one, can Solder play right? Two, if Long is a health risk as well...why go out on a limb and lock up that kind of money when you already have a left tackle playing well for cheap?

Really if it weren't for Vollmer's back we wouldn't be having this discussion, but unfortunetly that back thing is something to worry about. In the end I'd probably just take a risk and sign the guy that I knew...Vollmer. And he would be cheaper too.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:

Interesting outside the box thinking. I don't think I'd do it for a couple of reasons...one, can Solder play right? Two, if Long is a health risk as well...why go out on a limb and lock up that kind of money when you already have a left tackle playing well for cheap?

Really if it weren't for Vollmer's back we wouldn't be having this discussion, but unfortunetly that back thing is something to worry about. In the end I'd probably just take a risk and sign the guy that I knew...Vollmer. And he would be cheaper too.

mthurl, dont believe wed move solder. long is not an outstanding Lt, but would be an outstanding rt. long would get paid less as a rt (so hed have to be willing to do it before id get him). but again this is discussion if bb thinks solders back issue will be indefeninte making his performance subpar for him and putting him out of games several times a year. i wouldnt pay a lot for that nor want that in a starting tackle at any pay.

Sections
Shortcuts