Vollmer's back - Do you start Light or Solder at LT?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

Vollmer's back - Do you start Light or Solder at LT?

A few months ago, I never thought I'd struggle with a decision to start a rookie at left tackle if Light was there and healthy.

I'm a big fan of Light, but after seeing what Solder did to Wake and the way he's performed since joining the team, the kid is a beast.

He has that freakish kind of strength where he would accidentially pull your arm off after shaking your hand. 

The kid is a natural and I think I'm leaning toward Solder at LT over Light.

What do y'all think? 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

Re: Vollmer's back - Do you start Light or Solder at LT?

I think there's no question that we start Light. He has more experience and has proven himself over the course of several seasons. Brady trusts him. We just gave Light a sizeable contract too. Solder played very well and he has the potential to have a better career than Light, but it's too soon for him to be replacing a Pro Bowl left tackle.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Volmer may be practicing but they do not need to rush him back onto the field. Solder is the best pass blocking OT on the team now.

If Volmer is back to play this week perhaps they could have a rotation where Solder plays RT on 3rd and long and on some series?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

I think we wont see Solder unless Light/Vollmer go down with injury. Light is dependable, Solder had one good night. Yes, he looks very promising, but I really doubt he will overtake Light at LT any time soon.

Maybe next year?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

Interesting responses.  I am trying to temper my enthusiam towards Solder because you're right - it was only one game - but.......

I've watched the game 3 times now and focused in on Solder.  I won't go on a rant, but I think he's more than promising..  Promising to me means he will be good at some point in the future..  He is very good now! 

He made Wake his beeeeatch all night - effortlessly!  Also, he was outstanding when pulling.. 

For a big strong dude, this kid is light on his feet and can move! 

Either way, this is a great problem to have! 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from cantstopme. Show cantstopme's posts

start light and let solder enjoy and build on his good performance. i would still bring him along slowly, last game should have boosted his confidence, no need to risk destroying that when we have light and vollmer ready to go.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

In Response to Re: Vollmer's back - Do you start Light or Solder at LT?:
    start light and let solder enjoy and build on his good performance. i would still bring him along slowly, last game should have boosted his confidence, no need to risk destroying that when we have light and vollmer ready to go.
    Posted by cantstopme

Cant argue with that line of thinking!

This is a big AFC game.  SD brings a lot of pressure and I want the very best players protecting Brady on Sunday - obviously.

To me, Solder is already better than Light. 

This is really a question about talent vs experience. 

Doesn't really matter, I know BB will make the right call!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from auchhhhhhhhhhh. Show auchhhhhhhhhhh's posts

Split series !

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I don't know if Solder is better than Light at LT. I caught all the preseason games and overall I thought Solder did a pretty good job at LT, not great. To me, he clearly looked better playing RT in the Miami game than LT in preseason.

If Vollmer is ready to go, you have to start he and Light. Solder can rotate in as you might suggest, or perhaps he's used as a #3 TE when we want to run, or give the appearance we are running.

Anyhow, a good problem to have for sure.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from dyslexic. Show dyslexic's posts

I can see the Patriots rotating Solder at the OTs to keep them fresh but I also see them using Solder in the 4th and 1 situations at tight end like we've seen Connolly do.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Solder

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

I agree with portfolio, don't rush seabass back until 100% and I think Matt keeps his starting roll until he proves he can't cut it anymore.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

SD's D isn't exactly a D where I'd be worried that Solder couldn't cut it. Give Vollmers back another week and give Solder the start at RT. But come week 13 or 14 I expect Solder to start LT, Vollmer at RT and Light to become a backup LT-swing LG

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

It's a wonderful predicament to be in. One of the most impressive aspects of the Pats offense the other evening was the constant changing of personnel. In the 2nd half of the game Miami's defense looked totally gassed. I guess I'd start Light and Vollmer and have Solder shuttle in for both of them as needed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

Question
    if we had to seeing how light is strong on the left side
    could we move him to LG?
    Move Waters to Center
    Mankins to RG
    Vollmer @ RT
    Solder @ LT

i only ask because that puts all our best players on the field @ the same time?

I would personally play Solder over light aggainst Larry English

I would use Light against savvi vets like freeney

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

A gotta say its nice to have OT depth. Throwing a rookie into LT could prove costly. Let's wait and see how he does. This is why I wanted Light signed. Give Solder a year to get accustomed to NFL pass rushers and he could be a beast.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from irishfanatic. Show irishfanatic's posts

Interesting responses.  I am trying to temper my enthusiam towards Solder because you're right - it was only one game - but....... I've watched the game 3 times now and focused in on Solder.  I won't go on a rant, but I think he's more than promising..  Promising to me means he will be good at some point in the future..  He is very good now!  He made Wake his beeeeatch all night - effortlessly!  Also, he was outstanding when pulling..  For a big strong dude, this kid is light on his feet and can move!  Either way, this is a great problem to have! 
    Posted by deluxbury

I've watched this game numerous times,slo mo included and this guy is not just promising, he is NOW. Watch his foot work for a guy 6'8". Totally dominating,against Wake  and in his first NFL start. LT, RT or TE, what a draft choice.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfwood. Show wolfwood's posts

i agree witht eh fact that he had one good game last time i checked the season doesnt end  after 1 game i owuld expect to see light back in there i see them maybe alternating series unless one of the struggles

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Slide him in at RG next to Vollmer on the goal line. that would be intresting.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

SD's D isn't exactly a D where I'd be worried that Solder couldn't cut it. Give Vollmers back another week and give Solder the start at RT.
    Posted by PatsEng

I agree with this.  Have Vollmer ready just in case Solder has some difficulty.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Question if we had to seeing how light is strong on the left side could we move him to LG? Move Waters to Center Mankins to RG Vollmer @ RT Solder @ LT i only ask because that puts all our best players on the field @ the same time? I would personally play Solder over light aggainst Larry English I would use Light against savvi vets like freeney
    Posted by tagandtrade
    \

Good call all the way. Does Waters have experience at Center? I was just talking with a buddy about moving Light to guard and putting the twin towers on the outside! I wonder if coach Scar has thought about this!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Vollmer's back - Do you start Light or Solder at LT? : Cant argue with that line of thinking! This is a big AFC game.  SD brings a lot of pressure and I want the very best players protecting Brady on Sunday - obviously. To me, Solder is already better than Light.  This is really a question about talent vs experience.  Doesn't really matter, I know BB will make the right call!
    Posted by deluxbury

solder is much faster (feet) and would do much better against a speed rusher i feel (but would bb take out the vet (confidence risk). power guys might do better against solder than light. solder needs to increase hi strength and can do so dramatically in my opinion.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Vollmer's back - Do you start Light or Solder at LT? : \ Good call all the way. Does Waters have experience at Center? I was just talking with a buddy about moving Light to guard and putting the twin towers on the outside! I wonder if coach Scar has thought about this!
    Posted by TrueChamp

i dont know if waters can play center at this point. and yes, it would be great to play our best lineman on the field at once.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

vollmer coming off injury. i'd rather wait till his back is 150%

Sections
Shortcuts