Vollmer's back - Do you start Light or Solder at LT?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

Re: Vollmer's back - Do you start Light or Solder at LT?

In Response to Re: Vollmer's back - Do you start Light or Solder at LT?:
    [QUOTE]SD's D isn't exactly a D where I'd be worried that Solder couldn't cut it. Give Vollmers back another week and give Solder the start at RT. But come week 13 or 14 I expect Solder to start LT, Vollmer at RT and Light to become a backup LT-swing LG
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

I like your thought process here.  Right on!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vollmer's back - Do you start Light or Solder at LT? : I've watched this game numerous times,slo mo included and this guy is not just promising, he is NOW. Watch his foot work for a guy 6'8". Totally dominating,against Wake  and in his first NFL start. LT, RT or TE, what a draft choice.
    Posted by irishfanatic[/QUOTE]

Agreed!  Imagine hiim next year with a year under his belt, another 10-15 pounds of muscle, and an attitude!  Guy has multiple probowls written all over him!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vollmer's back - Do you start Light or Solder at LT? : \ Good call all the way. Does Waters have experience at Center? I was just talking with a buddy about moving Light to guard and putting the twin towers on the outside! I wonder if coach Scar has thought about this!
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

I hear where you are coming from but they would never do this.  Connolly played very well at center and you don't take Mankins and just move him to the other side of the line like that. 

Worst case scenario under the current circumstances is Solder is a phenomnal backup at both tackle spots.  problem is, I personally think he is better than both tackles!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Vollmer's back - Do you start Light or Solder at LT? : I hear where you are coming from but they would never do this.  Connolly played very well at center and you don't take Mankins and just move him to the other side of the line like that.  Worst case scenario under the current circumstances is Solder is a phenomnal backup at both tackle spots.  problem is, I personally think he is better than both tackles!
    Posted by deluxbury[/QUOTE]

No, in that scenario I think we would move Light all the way over to right guard, and keep Mankins at left. That way only Light is learning a new position, something which the 3xSB champ can probably do with a minimal learning curve.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

You'll never see Light at RT. BB has said on more than one occasion that Light is not suited for that side of the ball.  Don't know about RG but I'm of the opinion that if Seabass is ready he plays.  Agree with Solder coming in to sub for either Light or Seabass.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Light cant play RT or guard. Bill B said its not his best position.Mankins would stay at right guard. Solder played both sides and should spell Light and Vollmer.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from kebbe. Show kebbe's posts

A few experiments with Light at guard have been considerably less than impressive and all but abandoned by the Pats(which is too bad,as in a perfect Patriot world, Light could be effective at guard,which he isn't,RT,which he isn't and at LT,where he is at least solid and would be as good a swing man as there is).Thomas,who they just signed has an upside and the versitility to play both guard and tackle and,in time,could be a real help despite having limited experience in the league,though he started a number of games for Miami in the past and was playing well for the Lions this past pre-season. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

Rotate all of them to keep them fresh.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

[QUOTE]Question if we had to seeing how light is strong on the left side could we move him to LG? Move Waters to Center Mankins to RG Vollmer @ RT Solder @ LT i only ask because that puts all our best players on the field @ the same time? I would personally play Solder over light aggainst Larry English I would use Light against savvi vets like freeney
    Posted by tagandtrade[/QUOTE]

I understand what you are thinking but it isnt really good football:
    1. The O line works as a group. Moving everyone around to new positions ruins the chemistry of the line and so hurts their effectiveness
    2. Being good on one side often takes time to translate to being good from another side. So there would very likely be a drop in individual play
    3. Being good at T doesnt mean you will be as good at G or visa versa. Same goes for C and G. So for example, trying to make an all pro G into a C when you have someone stepping in already at center means you now have a guy not tried at C trying to play it

The only reason you state was to get Connolly off the field and put Solder in. But in doing this you potentially hurt play at LT, LG, C and RG. In fact a drop off in play is highly likely with wholesale changes like that.

The line is good NOW. Connolly looks fine at C. I am not saying he is or isnt a long-term answer there but he played well.

The current issues on the O line is - Depth at Guard and Center with Koppen and Wendell out and with Canon not ready both in terms of health and in terms of knowing his role in this offense. It is likely that Canon will be "red shirted" this year unless injuries press him into play earlier. THis except for potential late season game time the way Price did last year.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Light is your right tackle for the season.  I think you will see Solder being used as a backup for this season.  He needs to gain some weight before he can be a full time player.  I think you will see him used like Vollmer was in his rookie season.  Giving Light a break and available if there is an injury.  He is a rookie in a strike shortened season.  He is not ready for full time duty. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

its definately a good problem to have!

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

[QUOTE]Light is your right tackle for the season.  I think you will see Solder being used as a backup for this season.  He needs to gain some weight before he can be a full time player.  I think you will see him used like Vollmer was in his rookie season.  Giving Light a break and available if there is an injury.  He is a rookie in a strike shortened season.  He is not ready for full time duty. 
    Posted by msteven[/QUOTE]

Hoping this was just a blatant mistake on your part but Matt Light is our left tackle and has been for the last 10 years! 

Will respectfully disagree with you on Solder needing to gain weight.  He's 6' 8" 320+ pounds!!!! 

Sections
Shortcuts