Wake up Kraft resign Willfork stop stalling RESIGN

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paulawht63. Show Paulawht63's posts

Vince Willfork is a HUGE Part of the Patriots team Why would Robert Kraft even think twice about it. Hey Kraft get of your A** AND RESIGN VINCE

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from moongirl. Show moongirl's posts

Re: Wake up Kraft resign Willfork stop stalling RESIGN

I agree! He is everything you want in a football player!

PAY THE MAN AND LOCK HIM UP!!!!!!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

In Response to Wake up Kraft resign Willfork stop stalling RESIGN:
    Vince Willfork is a HUGE Part of the Patriots team Why would Robert Kraft even think twice about it. Hey Kraft get of your A** AND RESIGN VINCE
    Posted by Paulawht63

Paula and ALL:

Assuming (a huge assumption right now), THAT The NFL comes to a Collective Bargaining Agreement, and There remains a Salary Cap in place next year:
    Belichick could make Vince Wilfork the highest paid Defensive Lineman (not NoseTackle, because Vince wants DL $, not NT $)-in the History of The NFL, OR...

The Patriots at the end of 2009 could sign Both of their starting Offensive Guards (Logan Mankins & Stephen Neal), one of their top reserve D-Lineman (Jarvis Green), a young Linebacker that's getting better by the game (Gary Guyton), a clutch-kicker in an intemperate climate (Stephen Gostkowski), and probably sign a CB who has pretty much shut down 1 side of the field in pass-play (Leigh Bodden). 

You make the choice: 

We could have Wilfork and his 8th on the team in TTs, 0 sacks (yea, yea, I know-but he eats up 2 gaps), with Mike Wright's continued subing in for him (which he's done pretty darn well), a wasted Rookie NT for another 5 years in Ron Brace, ALONG WITH: JUST 1 player mentioned from above (but most probably NOT Bodden, Mankins, and maybe not Green either)...Too much $ towards Wilfork, and so these guys will be gone: so Ghost, Guyton OR Neal...YOU choose.

OR...

We could balk on Wilfork, allow Mike Wright to fill in at NT with Ron Brace subing and learning for another year on certain downs AND KEEP our best starting CB right now-Leigh Bodden, Our 2 starting Guards-Mankins/Neal, one of very few young LBs on this team that actually looks good and is 'getting it' (Guyton), a top reserve Defender in another area we have a shortage of guys in-DE (Green), and oh yea, one of the best young kickers in the NFL (Gostkowski)... 

...your choice.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

The Collective Bargaining Agreement is pretty much what it's all about.  Kraft said he wasn't going to sign anybody until he knew what the agreement was going to be.  It's only smart to do it this way.  You have to have a budget to work with.  The NFL sure has a lot on it's plate this off season.  

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NE-decade-of-my-dreams. Show NE-decade-of-my-dreams's posts

I would hate to see the Big Man go. He has exhibited qualities that are rare in the world of sports today. Not too often you'll hear a guy say that he signed his contract and that he will live up to his end of the bargain. I get tired of hearing about atheletes saying they are underpaid, then hold out until they get what they want. For that reason alone I think the Patriots should sign the man. These kind of qualities rub off on other players and make for good team chemistry. Reward him for being a great player and a great leader Mr. Kraft.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Look at our defense with and without Wilfork:

With Wilfork (1st and 2nd down):  we stuff the run, break up passes, get to the QB ... opposing offenses can't do anything.

Wilfork comes off the field (3rd down):  no matter how many yards the other team needs, they pick up a first down.

Solution:  Re-sign Wilfork ... to 3rd down.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 617AcrossDaBoard. Show 617AcrossDaBoard's posts

Enough about Wilfork wanting to be the top paid DL already.... If Fofk was that money hungry he wouldn't have been a model citizen all season and for all things manditory pre-season.  Its obvious he wants to be paid as a top linemen and he deserves to be, but he's not going to make Kraft back up the truck for him to commit to the Pats. Because of the success and atmosphere around Patriots Nation players leave millions on the table to stay here and I dont think Wilfork/Mankins are any different.

You can pull off another Guyton or Bodden... Wilfork and Mankins are rarely picked up beyond a 2nd Rd pick or Max money and you already have'm on your team.  But if they leave it will be for top money IMO.

Definitely a topic to discuss next Spring though. Plenty of football to be played with the players we have under contract.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

In Response to Wake up Kraft resign Willfork stop stalling RESIGN:
    Posted by Paulawht63
    wilfork isnt to happy.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1211318&format=text

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from 617AcrossDaBoard. Show 617AcrossDaBoard's posts

In Response to Re: Wake up Kraft resign Willfork stop stalling RESIGN:
    In Response to Wake up Kraft resign Willfork stop stalling RESIGN : wilfork isnt to happy. http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/football/patriots/view.bg?articleid=1211318&format=text
    Posted by mosseffect43

I take the good out of reading that... If he's frustrated its because the Patriots haven't made the efforts to re-sign him meaning his heart is here in New England. If he was about the money ala Asante he would be excited to become a free agent because he knows the Pats will have to pony up or he can walk as possibly the highest paid linemen in the league.

He wants to be here.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

I agree he is being a good sport about it,and he is playing his game.he knows one way or another,he will get paid,but you would think the pats would be getting something on the table.i could see it if brace was playing a lot,and getting the system down,but he isnt hardly playing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from uncommon-sense. Show uncommon-sense's posts

As Laz pointed out its not that clear of a decision.

Wilfork has been the consummate professional this year and is everything a team should look for in a player. That being said it is a tough balancing act to formulate a complete roster.

Wilfork may not require Haynesworth money but he isn't taking Harris (chicago) money either. The sticking points are almost certainly related to length of the contract and the guaranteed money. The problem I see is that he is 28 which is young but he is a big dude whose decline in skills will more likely resemble falling off a cliff than a slow deterioration.

At this stage in the game I would part ways with Green who has been disappointing for 2 consecutive seasons and Neal who is oft injured and older (his career started late). We have a few good linemen who are waited like Pryor, Richards, and Brace on D. On the Offensive line Bussey, Orhnberger, Connoly, Levoir and Vollmer look like the future.

Guyton is a keeper and hopefully the two sides can work out a contract. Mankins will be a RFA so unless some team offers him silly money he will be returning anyways.

There is plenty of potential with the accumulated draft picks to replace or upgrade the trenches as well. My point is that some of our top reserves are replaceable with younger cheaper models  but Wilfork is worth resigning if possible. I wouldn't sign Wilfork to more than a 4 year deal and I wouldn't break the bank for him either. You can't only blame BB or Kraft because it takes two sides to make a deal. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

I also agree as mentioned earlier that the Patriots need to make sure they keep Logan Mankins, Gostkowski, and Bodden.  Mankins is potentially a lock Hall of Famer, that is very important come next year when Vollmer replaces Light. Now I like Vollmer long term better then Light but two new guys on Brady's left is not a good idea. Gostokowski is one of those guys that you can't let go because of his ability to perform at a high levell at a very skilled position in adverse weather, and Bodden has stabilised the defensive backfield to the extent that it is allowing the rookies to be brought up to speed at the right pace. He is close to a shut down corner again.
    Neal can be replaced, Jarvis Green(DL) is not a bank buster so no issue there, and Guyton (LB) is young and showing promise but again not a cap buster, and I expect atleast one top pick or FA pickup to be a Linebacker likely ILB to play with Mayo.
    So this means to me Wilfork gets Franchised for 2010 and they promise not to franchise in 2011 when Brace and/or whoever will be ready to take over. (And/OR because who knows maybe they use one of those multiple early picks on a NT. I also think they offer him a respectable contract likely top payed Nose Tackle money but not top DL money. It will be up to him to decide if he wants to take a little less to play for a perenial Super bowl Contender  or if he wants the cash to likely play for a middle rung team. (Hall of Fame is more attainable for a NT if he stays one place and plays at high level with that team.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

This will not be done till next year. Lets focus on Sunday nights game and not spend time on this. Wilfork is paying, he is adding value and we are headed for a SB, this is not a big deal.

Next year we keep or we do not, this is not be a big event one way or the other. Laws, Samuel, Miloy, Branch and on and on.... we are still playing football

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from 617AcrossDaBoard. Show 617AcrossDaBoard's posts

I think you end up spending more franchising guys like Wilfork and Asante Samuel.. Asante made more in that season than any year on his contract will pay him in Philly. Not to mention Peppers in Carolina... He's playing on a tag making around 17 mil... If we keep 75 agree to something favorable to both sides if not that Raiders pick could end up having to be Wilforks replacement if we cant get a stud in next years draft.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

In Response to Re: Wake up Kraft resign Willfork stop stalling RESIGN:
    I think you end up spending more franchising guys like Wilfork and Asante Samuel.. Asante made more in that season than any year on his contract will pay him in Philly. Not to mention Peppers in Carolina... He's playing on a tag making around 17 mil... If we keep 75 agree to something favorable to both sides if not that Raiders pick could end up having to be Wilforks replacement if we cant get a stud in next years draft.
    Posted by 617AcrossDaBoard

In general I agree 100% with the Franchise costs you too much in most cases but in the case of a Nose Tackle he would get the average of the top 5 Nose tackles contracts which is very affordable.  That position is looked at differently then DT's and handled as a seperate position. So keeping Wilfork through a Franchise tag in 2010 is a financially good deal.  Just like using the franchise tag on a Kicker is a good deal financially. I am not saying this is the only move but it is a good option.

Sections
Shortcuts