Wanna keep Wes Welker, READ THIS!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

Wanna keep Wes Welker, READ THIS!

For those who don't want to believe me......Consider this!

WRs 30+ on borrowed time!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Wanna keep Wes Welker, READ THIS!

In Response to Wanna keep Wes Welker, READ THIS!:
    [QUOTE]For those who don't want to believe me......Consider this! WRs 30+ on borrowed time! http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=4007802
    Posted by RallyC[/QUOTE]

Most of the guys mentioned in this article were well over 30 and there is a lot of assertions here without much substance.

One more thing.  Can you remind me how old Randy Moss was when he came to New England?  How many TD's did he catch again?  I can't seem to remember.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I didn't read the article, but it's no secret that anyone that uses their legs for a living are operating on borrowed time after 30..it's just the sad truth of an NFL career. QB's and  offensive tackles are the exception (the tackle can do well with technique and balance for years).

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to "Re: Wanna keep Wes Welker, READ THIS!": [QUOTE]In Response to Wanna keep Wes Welker, READ THIS! : Most of the guys mentioned in this article were well over 30 and there is a lot of assertions here without much substance. One more thing.  Can you remind me how old Randy Moss was when he came to New England?  How many TD's did he catch again?  I can't seem to remember. Posted by pcmIV[/QUOTE] RANDY was a freak! A world class athlete who could run with world class sprinters, jump with NBA dunk champions, and is a target with a flat footed reach of over 10ft. Not to mention that he's a vertical threat the likes of which comes along once a decade. What you need to forget is that you drew a comparison between these two. Fred Belitnikof maybe. The only area Wes has advantage is heart. Please dont make me school you on the truth about the delta between the races and atletic prowess. I am half anglo, so trust me, i can go there!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

In Response to Re: Wanna keep Wes Welker, READ THIS!:
    [QUOTE]In response to "Re: Wanna keep Wes Welker, READ THIS!": RANDY was a freak! A world class athlete who could run with world class sprinters, jump with NBA dunk champions, and is a target with a flat footed reach of over 10ft. Not to mentioned a vertical threat the likes of which comes along once a decade. What you need to forget is that you drew a comparison between these two. French Belitnicoph, mmmaybe. Now go look at your stat book and see how many catches you boy Wes had for 20+. Got a clue yet?
    Posted by RallyC[/QUOTE]

The double standard here is hilarious.  All of the receivers in the "article" you linked to are nothing like Wes either.  That isn't much of a rebuttal.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

pcmIV - I think his point is that given past numbers and evidence of WR's after 30 it's more likely that Welkers numbers will decrease more then increase. Now in Welkers situation slot WR's tend to degrade at a slower rate while burners tend to fall off a cliff but the point is that paying Welker big money over a longer term is a greater risk because of his age, which you would assume is a given. It's a rare case that WR's maintain or increase performance after 30 as opposed to see numbers degrade. Now again since Welker relies more on his quick burst and intelligence in finding holes he has a greater chance minimizing the degradation

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Wes's career really started when he came to the Patriots, he still has several good, legit years left.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]pcmIV - I think his point is that given past numbers and evidence of WR's after 30 it's more likely that Welkers numbers will decrease more then increase. Now in Welkers situation slot WR's tend to degrade at a slower rate while burners tend to fall off a cliff but the point is that paying Welker big money over a longer term is a greater risk because of his age, which you would assume is a given. It's a rare case that WR's maintain or increase performance after 30 as opposed to see numbers degrade. Now again since Welker relies more on his quick burst and intelligence in finding holes he has a greater chance minimizing the degradation
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

I don't think his point is as nuanced as your comments here (which I happen to agree with).  I don't want NE to pay Wes some absurd amount of money or sign him for 5 years.  I can envision many scenarios where it makes sense for NE to let Wes leave.  That being said the OP is trying to rationalize his incessant Welker bashing from the other thread with an assertion (which he practically treats as a given) that Welker's performance is going to fall off a cliff almost immediately.  No one who wants to keep WW is arguing that his numbers are going to increase (that is just a straw man), but it isn't nearly as certain that WW is toast as the OP wants us all to believe.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wanna keep Wes Welker, READ THIS! : I don't think his point is as nuanced as your comments here (which I happen to agree with).  I don't want NE to pay Wes some absurd amount of money or sign him for 5 years.  I can envision many scenarios where it makes sense for NE to let Wes leave.  That being said the OP is trying to rationalize his incessant Welker bashing from the other thread with an assertion (which he practically treats as a given) that Welker's performance is going to fall off a cliff almost immediately.  No one who wants to keep WW is arguing that his numbers are going to increase (that is just a straw man), but it isn't nearly as certain that WW is toast as the OP wants us all to believe.
    Posted by pcmIV[/QUOTE]

Ah I see. I haven't seen of the OP's previous posts on other threads, so my context is a bit out of whack, in that case yeah not a very good showing. I was going purely based on the article and Welkers age as a whole.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

In response to "Re: Wanna keep Wes Welker, READ THIS!": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wanna keep Wes Welker, READ THIS! : I don't think his point is as nuanced as your comments here (which I happen to agree with).  I don't want NE to pay Wes some absurd amount of money or sign him for 5 years.  I can envision many scenarios where it makes sense for NE to let Wes leave.  That being said the OP is trying to rationalize his incessant Welker bashing from the other thread with an assertion (which he practically treats as a given) that Welker's performance is going to fall off a cliff almost immediately.  No one who wants to keep WW is arguing that his numbers are going to increase (that is just a straw man), but it isn't nearly as certain that WW is toast as the OP wants us all to believe. Posted by pcmIV[/QUOTE] Of course I don't know for sure. But in pro sports, you must rely on the trends and the odds. PEYTON MANNING. need I say much more. Is the risk worth the investment knowing he is likely headed south? Of course not.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1guy1sharp. Show 1guy1sharp's posts

Need attention much? You already have one thread about Welker. It's clear to anyone paying attention he has 2-3 years left of top tier play. They arnt signing him to a long term deal. Four years the most. Just move on...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

[QUOTE]Need attention much? You already have one thread about Welker. It's clear to anyone paying attention he has 2-3 years left of top tier play. They arnt signing him to a long term deal. Four years the most. Just move on...
    Posted by 1guy1sharp[/QUOTE]

Being that the average life expectancy of a WR in the NFL is about 5yrs. Your 4-year proposal is about a lifetime, even if not "long term." Think before you speak might be a good idea, dude. Wes Welker only has that much time left if he stays with the PATS or goes to Denver. Otherwise, as I have been saying, he will fade into oblivion just as all other TB12 desciples have once they left. Wes needs to either shut up or take his medicine as the PATS say goodbye. As for me, I get all the attention I need in the real world. These forums allow me to see how the average Boston fan thinks. So far, I am underwhelmed by the likes of you and many others. Don't like what I say, block me! Peace! 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wanna keep Wes Welker, READ THIS! : The double standard here is hilarious.  All of the receivers in the "article" you linked to are nothing like Wes either.  That isn't much of a rebuttal.
    Posted by pcmIV[/QUOTE]

Ya know, you're right! Wes is a dude who has underwhleming speed and quickness that have both been negatively affected by a reconstructed, blown out knee. Those other guys didn't have that problem. Granted, He is also a guy who gets paid MILLIONS of dollars for his GREAT HANDS, but who missed the opportunity that most cluch athletes wish they could have when he let that ball slip away off of BOTH of his hands in the Superbowl. The dream of a life time for true legends. NO WES DIDN"T LOSE THE NFL CHAMPIONSHIP for the PATS! He just didn't do what great athletes do when its time to make THE CATCH!!! If he catches it, PATS likely win #4. No excuses! He just isn't good enough to make THAT catch! The one the PATS REALLY NEEDED. BYE-BYE WES!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wanna keep Wes Welker, READ THIS! : Ya know, you're right! Wes is a dude who has underwhleming speed and quickness that have both been negatively affected by a reconstructed, blown out knee. Those other guys didn't have that problem. Granted, He is also a guy who gets paid MILLIONS of dollars for his GREAT HANDS, but who missed the opportunity that most cluch athletes wish they could have when he let that ball slip away off of BOTH of his hands in the Superbowl. The dream of a life time for true legends. NO WES DIDN"T LOSE THE NFL CHAMPIONSHIP for the PATS! He just didn't do what great athletes do when its time to make THE CATCH!!! If he catches it, PATS likely win #4. No excuses! He just isn't good enough to make THAT catch! The one the PATS REALLY NEEDED. BYE-BYE WES!
    Posted by RallyC[/QUOTE]

Do you see what I'm talking about now Eng?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

Not agreeing with the tone of the original poster but I'd challenge the thought that burners lose it faster than slot guys. I'd think it's the opposite since slot guys take more and harder hits. Deep threats just run deep routes and take far fewer hits. I think of guys like Chrebet and Troy Brown falling off a cliff and see situations happen less with burners (although they fall off a less steep cliff).

Either way it's bad business to give Welker a 4 year deal. I actually think franchising him for two years might be the best option. In three years he has very little value and cap space is opened for Gronk and Hern (although one HAS to be taken care of earlier).

I agree that Welker dropped the ball in the super bowl, but that doesn't make him a less valuable player over a season. I do think that drop will define him if they don't win a SB in the next two years. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Personally Id think that we'd have a different skill set receiver for the 20+ yard catches. All I want is Welker to catch a 1st down on 3rd and 13. Sure he dropped a ball in the superbowl but so did Branch and Hernandez.

Fans are spoiled these days. When the Pats got crushed by the 85 Bears I thought it was a great accomplishment to make it to the SB. Its winning and losing , not about sport anymore.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from RallyC. Show RallyC's posts

[QUOTE]Not agreeing with the tone of the original poster but I'd challenge the thought that burners lose it faster than slot guys. I'd think it's the opposite since slot guys take more and harder hits. Deep threats just run deep routes and take far fewer hits. I think of guys like Chrebet and Troy Brown falling off a cliff and see situations happen less with burners (although they fall off a less steep cliff). Either way it's bad business to give Welker a 4 year deal. I actually think franchising him for two years might be the best option. In three years he has very little value and cap space is opened for Gronk and Hern (although one HAS to be taken care of earlier). I agree that Welker dropped the ball in the super bowl, but that doesn't make him a less valuable player over a season. I do think that drop will define him if they don't win a SB in the next two years. 
    Posted by Rockdog1293000[/QUOTE]

Rockdog, I apoligize for the tone. Believe it or not, I happen to admire Wes and have enjoyed his performances and presence on the PATS for these last few years. I am just trying to get so many out there to understand that it is what it is and that they should separate thier loyalty from the player and focus it toward the organization. I totally agree that the outside receivers should last longer as they take far less abuse as they are usually running out an over throw at worse vs. getting drilled by a ILB.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptnFoxboro. Show CaptnFoxboro's posts

So acording to this threads premise -
    30 year old wrs should ALWAYS be considered tickin -timebombs that are moments away from the scrap heap ?

Hmmm ...better let the Falcons know that 30 year old man Roddy White is garbage .

Same with the Texans ...that P O S Andre Johnson is also 30 .

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rockdog1293000. Show Rockdog1293000's posts

No need to apologize. It's a chat board and you're more than free to discuss your ideas. 

I don't think the pats have issues with separating loyalty. Richard Seymour was a key cog in three SB runs and they traded him days before the 2010 season. I think they have fairly accurately valued welker at 2 yrs/8 million a years. I understand WW's frustration that all these WR's with lessor numbers have gotten bigger contract numbers as well. Furthermore, I don't think welker gains any leverage by holding out. If edelman throws a couple 8 catch game out there and the pats offense runs smoothly he loses all leverage. I don't think it'll come to this.

You can't compare Welker to Andre Johnson or Roddy White. Those guys are stars in every system, whereas welker is a star in the pats offense. He's a great slot receiver, but he's a slot receiver. 

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wanna keep Wes Welker, READ THIS! : Rockdog, I apoligize for the tone. Believe it or not, I happen to admire Wes and have enjoyed his performances and presence on the PATS for these last few years. I am just trying to get so many out there to understand that it is what it is and that they should separate thier loyalty from the player and focus it toward the organization. I totally agree that the outside receivers should last longer as they take far less abuse as they are usually running out an over throw at worse vs. getting drilled by a ILB.
    Posted by RallyC[/QUOTE]

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from 1guy1sharp. Show 1guy1sharp's posts

In response to "Re: Wanna keep Wes Welker, READ THIS!": [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wanna keep Wes Welker, READ THIS! : Being that the average life expectancy of a WR in the NFL is about 5yrs. Your 4-year proposal is about a lifetime, even if not "long term." Think before you speak might be a good idea, dude. Wes Welker only has that much time left if he stays with the PATS or goes to Denver. Otherwise, as I have been saying, he will fade into oblivion just as all other TB12 desciples have once they left. Wes needs to either shut up or take his medicine as the PATS say goodbye. As for me, I get all the attention I need in the real world. These forums allow me to see how the average Boston fan thinks. So far, I am underwhelmed by the likes of you and many others. Don't like what I say, block me! Peace!  Posted by RallyC[/QUOTE] Wow you're a moron. First , dude , what about Welker is average? Show me some evidence to support you're claim that he'll slow down. The guy is coming off his best season ever. Second you're claim that he'll only thrive with 12 and 18 is just you're opinion. A dumb one at that. There are many teams he'd excel in. Third the years in a NFL contract means absolutely nothing. It's all about the guaranteed money. The pats would never guarantee more then 25-28 million. Essentially making it a three year deal. Maybe even two if its around 20-21 million. Welker has at least two more 100+ catch , 1200 yard season left , easy. Again you have no evidence to support you're argument. None. Keep posting moron , you're doing some solid work here!

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]me I just love it when cheapness and ruthlessness backfire
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]
    If you aren't smart or clever enough to offer some real insight, instigate!

24. This post has been removed.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

[QUOTE]untrue Digger and you should know it...I've done the insight, etc...on all these things in the past so no need to rehash it ad nauseum. Right, wrong or both do you think I am the only one with those perspectives on the Pats? and some above did it for me right here
    Posted by JintsFan[/QUOTE]
    You used some variation of the word cheap in five different posts. We get it already.

Sections
Shortcuts