Notice: All Boston.com forums will be retired as of May 31st, 2016 and will not be archived. Thank you for your participation in this community, and we hope you continue to enjoy other content at Boston.com.

Want a good laugh?

1. This post has been removed.

2. This post has been removed.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. This post has been removed.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Re: Want a good laugh?

In Response to Want a good laugh?:
    Some fans have gone to great lengths to break down for us the brilliant rebuilding job super genius has done on our D. Sensational finds with high draft picks like Brace, Butler, Chung, Cunningham, Spikes, Wheatley, Crable and Meriweather have been painstakingly assembled by the mastermind and those in the know have told us this shiny new trap was about to be sprung upon an unsuspecting NFL this very season. Now here's the funny part. Instead of this master rebuilding plan finally reaching fruition, Hoodie goes out and finds a bevy of veteran defenders long in the tooth from all over the league, changes the basic premise of the D, and in doing so completely blows the hell out of that nonsense about rebuilding. He didn't rebuild. The people he drafted sucked and you can't rebuild with inferior parts. So now he's trying to throw something together at the last minute that might actually work. Are you laughing yet? You should be, because you just can't make stuff like this up.
    Posted by BabeParilli

I swear, you must have eaten lots of lead paint chips when you were a kid.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

BB's approach to rebuilding via the draft is interesting. He seems to value quantity vs. quality. Perhaps because the draft is a crap shoot, and he knows if you pick more early, you have a better chance of scoring on a pick, even if you miss on a few.

If we look over the last 5 drafts (06'-10') (not counting 2011 because we don't know anything about how these kids will do)....How well did we do in rounds 1, 2 and 3 (typcially where the cream is supposedly)? How many of these kids turned contributor vs. bust that are still on the team?....lets look

Contributor / Starter List
    2006 NONE
    2007 NONE
    2008 Mayo
    2009 Chung, Brace (TBD), Vollmer
    2010 No busts in rounds 1-3 as of yet. Each is a contributor or starter. (McCourty, Gronk, Spikes, Cunningham, Price)

Bust List
    2006 Maroney, Jackson, Thomas
    2007 Meriweather
    2008 Wheately, Crable, O'Connell
    2009 Butler, Tate, McKenzie, Brace (TBD)
    2010 None as of yet

7 contributors/starters, 10 busts. Not counting Brace and only counting rounds 1-3 since 2006. Also I didn't count Welker in 2007. If we do, that is 8 contributors, 10 busts. I imagine if we expanded it to round 4, the ratio would be roughly the same 7-8 contributors/10 busts.

To me, the 10 busts are telling. That supposedly is 10 kids, potential starters that should be logging substantial playing time. Even if we only hit on 3 of those 10, that still is significant. So, we talk about a youth movement and rebuildinng, but it seems that we have squandered 10 draft picks in rounds 1-3 over the past 5 years.

As much as a Pats fan I have been and am today, Parilli and TexPat have some solid ground to stand on here.

Over to you Russ...

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

I think the truest of fans have to question all the time. Things aren't perfect by any stretch, but when you net it out, the results look atrocious.

I think we are all fans on this board, or at least most of us. Some are a bit more forgiving, some seek to justify, some just call it out the way it is. I tend to be the 1st and 3rd of these. I'm not going to justify anything. I think we have done a pi$$ poor job via the draft if you look over the past 5 years.

2010 and 2011 look to change that trend. And here's hoping we turn the ratios on the busts vs. contributor discussion.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from isurfvb35. Show isurfvb35's posts

yes the pats have missed badly in recent drafts, but thankfully, we have the greatest coach in the league that can put a team on the field and make them playoff contenders no matter how many busts they have had.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

In Response to Re: Want a good laugh?:
     Well Bill cant draft in round 2-3 ,as soon as he picks I keep thinking the Pats should give the player a coupon for truck driving school and send him home.
    Posted by Mybologna

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

I agree 100%, he can't draft in the 2nd round but insists he'll find value there like he a Filenes's basement shopper. All the 2nd rounders blow

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

In Response to Re: Want a good laugh?:
    The only thing I laugh about is you, Babe! By now I'm sure we all know how much you dislike BB. Funny thing is, though, that there are still a lot of draft picks on the 2011 defense. Sure, he's brought in some vets to help out. But it's not much different from any other year. As for switching to more of a 4-3, that's simply adapting to the strengths of the players. You make it sound like he's suddenly changed his strategy instead of simply making the moves he feels will help this team get better. You really do sound like a spoiled kid, a lot of teams (and their fans) would be thrilled to have eight straight double-digit win seasons! All in all the defense has gotten younger since 07, when clearly a lot of those guys were at the end of their careers. I'd still like to hear you answer the question I posed in other threads...who would YOU suggest Kraft replace him with? Any fool can sit on a computer and complain someone else is not doing their job. But it's just hot air unless you can actually come up with what you think would be a better approach! I think he's addressed the issue of a pass rush by switching to a base 4-3, as there were simply not any 3-4 OLBs available who could get the job done. I agree their 3rd down defense gave up a lot of big plays last year. But if they cannot rush the QB the guys in the secondary are going to be beat, no matter how good they are. While we all want to see Super Bowls every year, it's simply not realistic. You sound like you should be working for ESPN. But maybe they have their quota of idiots who criticize but really know nothing about the process they're talking about! Everyone on the "inside" will say BB is one of the best at working the draft. But I suppose you're more of an expert than they are! 
    Posted by bubthegrub2

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from jader. Show jader's posts

one of the best at working the draft? Who are you kidding? He's a great coach but the worst drafter of college players ever! Mayo and Hernandez are the exceptions

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

OK I had to look this up, but here are the 1st and 2nd round picks by the Packers in the years under Lombardi.  This is in a 12-14 team league at the start, so a 2nd rounder back then should have been a better pick than where the Pats have been drafting lately in the FIRST round.

Year      Rnd1                   Rnd2
    1959      Randy Duncan      Alex Hawkins
    1960      Tom Moore           Bob Jeter
    1961      Herb Adderley       Ron Kostelnik
    1962      Earl Gros              Ed Blaine
    1963      Dave Robinson      Tom Brown
    1964      Lloyd Voss           Jon Morris
    1965      Larry Elkins          Alphonse Dotson
    1966      Jim Grabowski       Tom Cichowski
                Gale Gillingham  
    1967      Bob Hyland           Dave Dunaway
                Don Horn              Jim Flanigan
    1968      Fred Carr            
                Bill Lueck

One HOFer (Adderley).   It can be argued that he molded the players he inherited in 1959 into HOFers.

I'll put BB the GM against this draft record any day (and I am not ripping Lombardi).

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Jets Grades: A+, A+, D, B, D-:          Avg. Grade: B-  

Pats' Grades: C-, B, C, C, A+:           Avg. Grade: B-

Thoughts?

Ha Ha, that was excellent, David copperfield would even be impressed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts