Was Big Ben continuing to play on the bum ankle smart?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

Was Big Ben continuing to play on the bum ankle smart?

My first thoughts when I saw Big Ben hobble onto the field was:  "What are you trying to prove?".  If not for the fact the Steelers were playing the Cleveland Browns, I wonder how much more damage he may have been doing to that ankle remaining in the game.  The Steelers could have won that game without him and he could have started treatment right away.  As a Pats fan, what would you have preferred if Brady suffered a similar injury?  Would you have wanted to see him being "brave" and hobble through the rest of the game and possibly cost him the rest of the season or let the back-up in and get him rested for the more important games coming up, like the playoffs?  Can we imagine the outcry from this board if BB allowed Brady to stay in and that move cost Brady the rest of the season?  Better to miss a couple games and make the team take up the slack than possibly cost the team a key player for the rest of the season.
    Let the discussions begin!!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Re: Was Big Ben continuing to play on the bum ankle smart?

Do "Big Ben" and "smart" ever belong in the same sentence?

(Joking aside, I didn't think he looked like he should be in the game.  He could barely even hand the ball off effectively.  I don't see how it helped the team last night--and given that it probably wasn't helping them, it would have made sense to start treatment right away I think.  But then, I'm not sure what the doctors thought.)

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

I think he should have stayed out. The bigger question is will he play net week? After a few days I doubt he will be able to do much on that high ankle sprain. Just quessing of course.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from andrewmcintosh. Show andrewmcintosh's posts

IMO he should have stayed out, Pitt didn't need his help to beat the Browns, the CLE offense is about as bad as any I have seen in recent years.  Totally inept.  And Charlie Batch is a serviceable backup, no need to potentially destroy Ben's ankle to beat the Brownies at home.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

Man Ben's such a drama queen, Brady looked in better shape coming off the field with the ACL than Ben did yesterday with an ankle sprain. If tht did happen to Brady we'd never know about it 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: Was Big Ben continuing to play on the bum ankle smart?": [QUOTE]Man Ben's such a drama queen, Brady looked in better shape coming off the field with the ACL than Ben did yesterday with an ankle sprain. If tht did happen to Brady we'd never know about it  Posted by danemcmenamin[/QUOTE] I'm beginning to believe this. I keep hearing how tough this guy is yet every time he leaves the field for a horrible career threatening injury he comes back the next play, quarter, game with some minor knick. Look, every QB gets hit and gets hurt- they just play through it. I mean a freakin sprained ankle, who hasn't had one, it hurts tape it up after the drive and quit being such a p uss.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from danemcmenamin. Show danemcmenamin's posts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=830oOFHWidE

This is just as bad, how long did Ryan miss?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from passfirst. Show passfirst's posts

In Response to Re: Was Big Ben continuing to play on the bum ankle smart?:
    [QUOTE]Man Ben's such a drama queen, Brady looked in better shape coming off the field with the ACL than Ben did yesterday with an ankle sprain. If tht did happen to Brady we'd never know about it 
    Posted by danemcmenamin[/QUOTE]

Ya, they always say he's a quick healer but maybe he just never really gets that hurt.  

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Big Ben = smart= no

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Yeah didn't see the point in him doing that or them letting HIM do that. Clearly they got lucky that it wasn't a season ending injury in the first place, then you chance fate and let him go back out there? Maybe Pittsburgh doesn't like rapists either? Hmmm.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

Not sure I was watching the same game.
    Without Ben playing the second half it MAY have finished at 7-3. Without Ben in there the two drives that used up most of the 3rd quarter probably would not have happened. Granted he threw an interception.

One never knows what MIGHT have been.
    The Steelers are now 10-3 with only one sure win as the game in S.F. will be tough and the season finale in Cleveland will be as well.

I'm sure Pittsburg has the equipment to determine the severity of the injury.

So if Ben came back, he was ready to go.

Maybe we can move on...

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheExaminer. Show TheExaminer's posts

Not smart for the Steelers, smart for everyone else. Hehehehe.....

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SANPATT. Show SANPATT's posts

He came back and didnt get hit and would have lost the game otherwise. I tell u what if he was my qb i would be happy he came back.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]He came back and didnt get hit and would have lost the game otherwise. I tell u what if he was my qb i would be happy he came back.
    Posted by SANPATT[/QUOTE]
    I see your point, Sanpatt, but, what we do not know if coming back aggravated the injury.  True, the Steelers have come out with news he has a high ankle sprain and given how he was hobbling around like he was, is that how you would want your QB to be playing out the season with titles on the line?  He was playing against the Browns, lets see him do that against the Ravens or even the Pats.  He relies on his mobility to get out of the pocket and he does not have that now.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from gandalf433. Show gandalf433's posts

Big Ben is the strongest QB playing the game today. 

Is Ben a Drama Queen? Don't count on it. They showed the video over and over and it was apparent their was an injury worth noting. I would expect him to miss the next game at a minimum. He comes back from injuries many QB's can't.

I think the risk for him to go back out on the field was minimal. X Rays were negative. With a high ankle sprain, the swelling and the inability to put weight on the ankle comes later. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from agcsbill. Show agcsbill's posts

[QUOTE]Big Ben is the strongest QB playing the game today. .... With a high ankle sprain, the swelling and the inability to put weight on the ankle comes later. 
    Posted by gandalf433[/QUOTE]
    THAT is the $64K question regarding Ben's returning.  If he couldn't put much weight on the ankle given the taping and meds, what happens now?  Like the Pats, the Steelers will be quite mum on the subject.  Fortunately, they have 10 days until their next game.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

In Response to Was Big Ben continuing to play on the bum ankle smart?:
    [QUOTE]My first thoughts when I saw Big Ben hobble onto the field was:  "What are you trying to prove?".  If not for the fact the Steelers were playing the Cleveland Browns, I wonder how much more damage he may have been doing to that ankle remaining in the game.  The Steelers could have won that game without him and he could have started treatment right away.  As a Pats fan, what would you have preferred if Brady suffered a similar injury?  Would you have wanted to see him being "brave" and hobble through the rest of the game and possibly cost him the rest of the season or let the back-up in and get him rested for the more important games coming up, like the playoffs?  Can we imagine the outcry from this board if BB allowed Brady to stay in and that move cost Brady the rest of the season?  Better to miss a couple games and make the team take up the slack than possibly cost the team a key player for the rest of the season. Let the discussions begin!!
    Posted by agcsbill[/QUOTE]

The game was not a foregone conclusion. The fact that Pitt needed to win it to stay out of the WC was. Ben going back in was the right call.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from WesternOregon. Show WesternOregon's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Was Big Ben continuing to play on the bum ankle smart? : The game was not a foregone conclusion. The fact that Pitt needed to win it to stay out of the WC was. Ben going back in was the right call.
    Posted by EnochRoot[/QUOTE]

We actually agree on something!

As I said earlier, those two long 3rd quarter drives that Ben engineered may not have happened with Batch running the offense. A 14-3 game may have been a 7-3 game which may have resulted in a Steeler loss without Ben on the field.

His return was the right thing.

The Steelers may lose him for the 49ers game but I doubt it.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Was Big Ben continuing to play on the bum ankle smart? : We actually agree on something! As I said earlier, those two long 3rd quarter drives that Ben engineered may not have happened with Batch running the offense. A 14-3 game may have been a 7-3 game which may have resulted in a Steeler loss without Ben on the field. His return was the right thing. The Steelers may lose him for the 49ers game but I doubt it.
    Posted by WesternOregon[/QUOTE]

Part of the reason it was the correct call to me was that they needed to win to keep up with Baltimore for the Division title. A loss would have put them pretty much into the WC. If they had a game up on Balt and the tie breaker, I would have had Ben sit.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

This latest ben drama reminds me a lot of the Mcnabb drama about 5 or 6 years ago..I distinctly remember this espn 5 minute clip of Mcnabbs body on a diagram and all of the injuries were highlighted. Like 70% of his body was highlighted and they were pushing the whole, "Mcnabb is a warrior" thing.

Actually it was Steve Mcnair before him...remember the 2003 playoffs when Mcnair was an mvp hero and a walking wounded? Anyway, you don't hear about Tom Brady's injuries until usually a year or 2 later.....Thats a warrior to me.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

I think Ben had to stay in because the Steelers were only leading by 4 points. And I think it was a really painful injury. 

BTW, he did get his ankle crunched a second time, some guys piling up on it.

The most incredibly gutsy QB playing with injury is Philip Rivers, back when he played in the post-season with two torn MCLs or ACLs or whatever, one for each knee.  I think it was against the Pats.  Blew my mind.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from EnochRoot. Show EnochRoot's posts

[QUOTE]I think Ben had to stay in because the Steelers were only leading by 4 points. And I think it was a really painful injury.  BTW, he did get his ankle crunched a second time, some guys piling up on it. The most incredibly gutsy QB playing with injury is Philip Rivers, back when he played in the post-season with two torn MCLs or ACLs or whatever, one for each knee.  I think it was against the Pats.  Blew my mind.
    Posted by chrisakawoody[/QUOTE]

Yeah - it was the 2007 AFC Championship game in which The Danian spent most of the game on the bench wearing a parka while Rivers played it out.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from GadisRKO. Show GadisRKO's posts

That shows you how tough Rivers is and how pathetic Cry baby Tomlinson is.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

Roethlisberger is a drama queen, he sprained his ankle. The Ryan ankle sprain looked much worst, he came back too. Roethlisberger is just a feel sorry for my type of guy, he even wanted to people to feel sorry for him when he was raping women in bathrooms. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfiton. Show kjfiton's posts

[QUOTE]Man Ben's such a drama queen, Brady looked in better shape coming off the field with the ACL than Ben did yesterday with an ankle sprain. If tht did happen to Brady we'd never know about it 
    Posted by danemcmenamin[/QUOTE]

i agree, he seems to have some sort of injury every other week but plays because he is such a "tough" guy.   b.s. nearly every player in the league has some sort of injury but they don't publicise it to the media for attention like ben does. 

just shut up and play like everyone else does.

Sections
Shortcuts