Was it right to give away Troy Browns number so soon?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Was it right to give away Troy Browns number so soon?

Hey guys, i was just reading reises blog and i noticed that he had new TE Alex Smith listed as jursey number 80 and I dont knwo about you guys but i dont think it is right of the Pats to give away Troys number so soon and to some bum tight end for that matter. This guy was mr. Patriot for his entire career and he has not even been retired for a full year yet and we are already giving number 80 to some tight end? I know his number is not retired and i know that Willie McGinnest had his number given away right after he left but that was for Seau and it was a speacial situation this is different Brown retired a Pat. I dont know it just rubs me the wrong way. Any thoughts?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pyegian. Show pyegian's posts

Re: Was it right to give away Troy Browns number so soon?

In a perfect world, yes, but the reality is that receivers are restricted to numbers in the teens and 80's, and tight ends the 40's and 80's.  There are a  limited number of numbers available and all of them have to be used to fill the roster spots.  Just because Alex Smith will wear #80 doesn't diminish anything Troy Brown did or how he will be remembered.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

I just dont like seeing some fool wearing Browns number thats all, I know that the number needs to get used but it just seems too soon to me.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ROWDYRODRUST. Show ROWDYRODRUST's posts

I think that it was classless to give #80 away so soon unless it's only temporary because they have 92 players on the roster and need numbers between 1 and 99.
    I realize that you also have certain constraints on what a TE can wear but Smith could wear a number in the 40's if need be this season.
    Troy Brown is now up there with all the greats in Patriot's history in my opinion. Willie was a solid player but is not in the same category as TB so his number going to Seau is different in my book. Also Seau was a better player than Willie (even though it was for other teams) as well and a future HOF'er. Just my two cents...

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

If they are going to give out Troys number then it should go to someone who has a good chance of spending the next 10 season with the team and I dont think Alex Smith is that guy. The number 80 is Browns number and if it is going to go to someone it should be someone who could do it justice and they just gave it to some bum from Tampa.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

I'm not bothered by it.  They probably should of waited a few more years though.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

he retired because nobody wanted him to remain a pat,or even come back to play for the pats.which i thought wasnt fair to him,but if he had put up hall of fame numbers you wouldnt see anyone have his number.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Frankly, I don't think the pretty boy should be wearing Matt Cavanaugh's number.

Cavanaugh was a warrior.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

he retired because nobody wanted him to remain a pat,or even come back to play for the pats.which i thought wasnt fair to him,but if he had put up hall of fame numbers you wouldnt see anyone have his number.
    Posted by mosseffect43

Given the roster limits you can't keep a player for sentimental reasons. His number will end up retired.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ArmyPatsFan. Show ArmyPatsFan's posts

Honestly, I think that numbers are essentially just numbers.  I loved Troy Brown even from way back in the Parcells Era.  He is one of my all time favorite football players, not just Pats.  I respect everything he did for the team, Offense, Defense, Special Teams, etc.  Would I prefer some one more worthy to wear his number, sure, but let's give Alex Smith a chance b4 we kill him.  Besides, I am sick of seeing WR's w/ #s in the teens anyhow.  Looks ridiculous.  The problem is that when you retire numbers, it limits the ones you can give out.  I like the ring of honor idea and think that they should go to that.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsChowder. Show PatsChowder's posts

Jersey numbers are tough to retire in football.  The Celtics look like they're going to have to span into triple digits one of these days with the way they retire numbers, but in football it's tough since the rules dictate that certain positions get certain numbers.

That being said, if the Patriots play for 100 more years it will be difficult to find a WR who means as much to the Patriots, physically and emotionally, as Troy Brown did.  His number 80 should be retired without a bat of the eye. You need to have 92 numbers in the preseason, but when the roster is cut to 53 #80 should be off the books.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jacksola. Show jacksola's posts

While I can understand the love for T.Brown I cannot understand the hate for A.Smith.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

Tas - Belichick is all about team.  Individual numbers are meaningless. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from jacksola. Show jacksola's posts

Right now the roster stands at 92 players.
    I suggest decimal points.
    A.Smith's new nimber= 80.1

Sections
Shortcuts