Was Scott Pioli overrated???

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickrand3. Show rickrand3's posts

Was Scott Pioli overrated???

As we know BB has final say on everything New England Patriots. However, just think about this for a second. When Pioli was here for drafts 2005-2008 the Pats draft left ALOT to be desired.In 2009 when it was BB alone the Patriots seemed to have a better draft and then this year, although way to early to tell, it seems like the Pats got 4-5 keepers as well as continuing to stockpile future picks.I'm suggesting that although BB had final say maybe the 2 chiefs-Pioli and BB- had a little different philosophy in the end.I was very happy with the 09 draft and similarly jacked about this past weekends draft.2 drafts without Pioli.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

Re: Was Scott Pioli overrated???

and how was pioli's 09? i think he busted like on every pick! and mccluster with that second was a bad idea

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from RealtyPats. Show RealtyPats's posts

I'm with you, I posted it b4, I think we kept 11 of 12 players we drafted last year.  It's hard to say because we had so many great vets on the team then it was harder for the pics to get playing time let alone beat out someone for a spot. 

Mike Felger actually did a segment on his radio station about how the Pats were dead last on draft pics still on the team from draft pics 04 to 08 or something like that. 

We'll see in the next 3-4 years but it's seems like we hit it huge last year compared to the few prior w/pioli

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from artielang. Show artielang's posts

and last year he made a bad trade for cassel, and didnt move dorsey when he still had some value. his draft last year was brutal and i'm not crazy about his draft this year either. full of reaches. maybe we can trade him crable and wheatley and some of his other bad picks.
    i do think he was good with contracts and salary cap though.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

Yes.  IMHO, Polian and AJ Smith are the best talent evaluators in the NFL by a good margin.  The next best are a good ways behind.  Pioli is probably above average, but not elite, and not as good as BB.

One caveat to my statement above.  I will not discount the contributions Floyd Reese might be making behind the scenes with the Pats.  Our last 2 seemingly better drafts also happen to coincide with Reese's arrival.  Floyd Reese drafted 3 Rookie of the Years as the GM for the Titans.  

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Floyd Reese and Nick Casserio I think are nice evaluators who will give BB the info he needs. Pioli I think is good but his strength lies in managing the cap and contracts.  Polian, AJ Smith and Ozzie from the Ravens always seem to have nice drafts. I think Belichick is someone who can be included in that group especially if this draft proves the theory that Pioli and BB's style didn't mesh perfectly.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rickrand3. Show rickrand3's posts

good points from everyone.Agree with almost all of the statements both supporting and not supporting Pioli.It will be interesting to follow over the next few years.I guess it all comes down to "In Bill We Trust" and if #12 can come back this year to being #12.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wendylee03. Show Wendylee03's posts

In all honesty there is no real way to tell because no one here was ever in on any of those meetings that led up to the draft with these men. Who is to say what each of these men's input were and to what extent, and did BB make any last second decisions on certain players that these men would have disagreed with at that moment. Truth be told there is no way any of us will ever know that

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

I was going to post something like this because the drafts did get better after Pioli left.  The two headed monster thing wasn't working.  With Reese taking over the scouting side of things the Pats do look like they will be better off in the future.  That is until somebody steals him away from us. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from N464Mex-N460A. Show N464Mex-N460A's posts

if i remember my reiss reese is not the scout guy hes the salary guy
    n Response to Re: Was Scott Pioli overrated???:
    I was going to post something like this because the drafts did get better after Pioli left.  The two headed monster thing wasn't working.  With Reese taking over the scouting side of things the Pats do look like they will be better off in the future.  That is until somebody steals him away from us. 
    Posted by garytx

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from croc. Show croc's posts

I think Pioli's 2010 draft was pretty solid.  McCluster is going to be play maker.  Was he a reach?  According to the TV analysis maybe, at least he'll be a reach that works.  FWIW Fox gave KC a B

Cassell will be ok.

I don't think you blame Pioli because the Pats traded several draft picks for Players in 2007.  I don't think injuries are hs fault either.  There haven't been many bad picks in early rounds outside of CJax.

Felger is the biggest BS artist on the air waves. 

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

Yup BB does it all.  No need for Off or Def Co-ordinater.  No need for GM.  What the hell is Kraft still doing as the owner?  Sell to BB, he is GOD, he needs no help what so ever.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: Was Scott Pioli overrated???:
    Yup BB does it all.  No need for Off or Def Co-ordinater.  No need for GM.  What the hell is Kraft still doing as the owner?  Sell to BB, he is GOD, he needs no help what so ever.
    Posted by Patsman2

Troll, when you have a coach/GM like BB why do you need a name there?  Yes he can do it all and coaching he has people in the right place.  He is bringing back the Patriot way and I am glad he is.  Glad to see a team with players who buy into his system and not try to do their own thing.  That didn't workout good, listen Leon or who ever you are go complain about your Jets because you should be worried.  Patriots got team guys, Jets got individual names.  When they start the season (jets) 1-3 watch the fireworks go.  Not enough touches for LT, the revolution in NY begins.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman2. Show Patsman2's posts

In Response to Re: Was Scott Pioli overrated??? : Troll, when you have a coach/GM like BB why do you need a name there?  Yes he can do it all and coaching he has people in the right place.  He is bringing back the Patriot way and I am glad he is.  Glad to see a team with players who buy into his system and not try to do their own thing.  That didn't workout good, listen Leon or who ever you are go complain about your Jets because you should be worried.  Patriots got team guys, Jets got individual names.  When they start the season (jets) 1-3 watch the fireworks go.  Not enough touches for LT, the revolution in NY begins.
    Posted by Pats7393

LOL, if I am Leon, you must be BB's adopted child.  Have never seen anyone pray at his altar like you do.  Yes, I am a troll because I think the team needs a solid off and def co-ordinater. I am a troll cause I think the team needs a solid GM and talent evaluater.  Yes, I am a troll caues I do not think 1 man can do it all alone.  How many Super Bowls since Wiess and Romeo left?  Zero.  How many did he win in Cleveland?  Zero.  When did he win the SB's? With a solid organization and co-ordinaters.  (Pats and NY)  Yup, im a Troll.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Yes.  IMHO, Polian and AJ Smith are the best talent evaluators in the NFL by a good margin.  The next best are a good ways behind.  Pioli is probably above average, but not elite, and not as good as BB. One caveat to my statement above.  I will not discount the contributions Floyd Reese might be making behind the scenes with the Pats.  Our last 2 seemingly better drafts also happen to coincide with Reese's arrival.  Floyd Reese drafted 3 Rookie of the Years as the GM for the Titans.  
    Posted by carawaydj

No Polian?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

Posted by Patsman2

Actually Belichick can do it with only 23 men on the active roster.  11 on offense, 11 on defense, and a double duty kicker/punter.  HE'S THAT GOOD!!!

Further -  you know the question - Do you know why dogs lick themselves? - because they can. - Well that applies to Belichick as well.  HE'S THAT GOOD!! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

When you win as much as the Pats did I would say that most of their management gets a little over rated. Pioli about as good a GM as you're going to find but like most companies life goes on when good employees quit or retire. Now Eric Mangini, he was over rated and we'll see about Josh.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FranklynDR. Show FranklynDR's posts

I think the person the Patriots might really be missing is in Atlanta... Thomas Dimitroff.

Sections
Shortcuts