Was this Blount's best game?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

Was this Blount's best game?

I have been watching the running of Blount since he first ripped off that huge break away touchdown run in preseason.  I liked the way he ran with the ball during his time with Tampa, but he was always a sloppy runner who relied on his instincts.  The beginning of the year we saw a guy who was not consistent, but showed flashes of greatness.  What I saw yesterday is a mature runner in the NFL that has shown a year of hard work. 

This past game, I saw marked improvement in his technique as a runner.  He is finally running with a focus of covering the ball without it interfering with his natural instincts.  I feel like he did a great job of combining the coaching with his natural strengths.  This is the hardest I have seen him run all year and he is running downhill and using his size.

He shows an elusiveness that I have not seen with many other runners in my time as a fan in New England.  He also appears to have trimmed down and seemed faster on his shifts and bursts.  He is running like a big man finally and powering over dudes who get in his way.

I have been begging for the Patriots to find the next Corey Dillion for a while now.  That is the type of running game that has proven successful to Bill and Tom's success in the past.  I hope it points towards success in the future.

What are your thoughts on how our runners are advancing to this point in the year?  Is this the best Blount has been all year and will he beat out Ridley for the top running back spot?  How are we seeing Ridley's progression since fumblitus overtook his starting job?  Is Vereen progressing or regressing / can and should Vereen run inside?

No matter the answers to these questions, I feel like we saw the best complete and consistent of a game yet out of Blount.  He is protecting the ball, running in space, running over men and running north south with quick cuts after first decisions.  He could be an X factor in the playoffs if Vereen is nicked up.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from trouts. Show trouts's posts

Re: Was this Blount's best game?

It was clearly Blount's best game. And like you I've been waiting for the next Corey Dillon or A Smith for the last few years. I'd like to be able to see us run with confidence every now and then on 3rd and 2 or 4th and 1, especially when we're in the opposition's end of the field. Also a nod to Ridley, who seems to be holding on to the ball way better.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Blount is our best option to run the ball. Ridley should be permanently benched, then cut and Bolden should spell Blount. That is all.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I think so and he even topped off one of his TD's with the Ray Lewis dance, LOL!  Loved it!

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Footballexpert45. Show Footballexpert45's posts

Blount is the closest thing to Corey Dillion for the Pats.  I like seeing Blount starting the game and using Ridley as the 2nd.   If the Running game can remain a big part of the offense, then the Pats can beat anyone.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I think he has improved a bit. It looks like he has lost some weight, at the start of camp it looked like his face couldn't fit into his helmet, so either has a bigger helmet now or has lost 7 pounds. He does seem to be running a little more under control  - I imagine Ridley's fumbling had a trickle down effect on the practice field - and he looks a little lower, with some body lean now. I like him, I like what he brings, but I don't think this a game changing guy here we are talking about. I think he still is too slow and that hurts - having said that I think he has helped and will continue to do so.

As for the rest of the runners?? I don't trust Ridley, but he has more talent than Blount. Even yesterday he had that ball out there a bit with his loose running style...and he did that stupid spin move again where he turns his back to the defense and just gets blindly creamed by oncoming linebackers...which is either going to get him killed, or cause another fumble. Vereen is a guy who's inability to stay on the field should concern you, and if it doesn't you are either a homer or extremely optimistic/patient. This guy has only played in 5 games this year and he has left with injury in three of them. In three years he only has 119 rushing attempts...there are guys that do that in a month and a half (I'm serious). Blount is a fill in - nothing more - nothing less.

Honestly though if everyone stays healthy and doesn't fumble, they are good enough at that spot to win in the playoffs. Yesterday proved that. We ran 9 straight times at the end of the game when they knew we were going to do it and they couldn't stop us. There was power running going on...two hands on the ball...mouth pieces going flying, power running. And I liked it.  

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

I really liked how he ran in that game and I loved how it was the vaunted Raven's Defense he did it against. Oh the Ray Ray dance was icing on the cake!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

excellent analysis of his running style BEFORE getting here. He was known to run like a small guy and hurdled players too much but after his very 1st fumble when he got hit in the air earlier, he hasnt tried to hurdle a defender once so his game HAS changed and he protects the ball because he has lost one job already so the hunger is there like with Dillon too who was left for dead...  I like that even though he is slower to the hole, he can still accelerate out of trouble and find open lanes and doesnt get pushed back. He has become a big tone setter for our offense when I didnt know if he would make the team in august.

I will say this is similar to another player we got from Tampa. A.Talib was another highy talented, athletic player that did not play disciplined and never looked as good as he does now. He would rely on athleticism over technique and smarts and BB has transformed him into someone you can trust to execute a gameplan as he has been the catalyst to many of them. Gotta give credit to BB who offers a superior level of coaching compared to others. I recall Rodney saying how much BB taught him when he got here after thinking he had seen it all. Another great example of BB turning a great, although reckless player in Rodney into a fundamental problem on the field who was too smart for QBs to fool.

BB def. can get players to maximize their potential. Nink is another example..

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

excellent analysis of his running style BEFORE getting here. He was known to run like a small guy and hurdled players too much but after his very 1st fumble when he got hit in the air earlier, he hasnt tried to hurdle a defender once so his game HAS changed and he protects the ball because he has lost one job already so the hunger is there like with Dillon too who was left for dead...  I like that even though he is slower to the hole, he can still accelerate out of trouble and find open lanes and doesnt get pushed back. He has become a big tone setter for our offense when I didnt know if he would make the team in august.

I will say this is similar to another player we got from Tampa. A.Talib was another highy talented, athletic player that did not play disciplined and never looked as good as he does now. He would rely on athleticism over technique and smarts and BB has transformed him into someone you can trust to execute a gameplan as he has been the catalyst to many of them. Gotta give credit to BB who offers a superior level of coaching compared to others. I recall Rodney saying how much BB taught him when he got here after thinking he had seen it all. Another great example of BB turning a great, although reckless player in Rodney into a fundamental problem on the field who was too smart for QBs to fool.

[/QUOTE]

The comparisons to Dillon are uncanny... as I pointed out in the other thread "blount is a beast who runs like dillon"  :

Blount...

6'!"  , 241 or is he trimmed down...?

Dillon...

6'1"  ,  225 or was he carrying a couple extra in his latter years...

Both guys from NW schools (wshington and Oregon)  both with issues off the field...

Why am I the only poster to say Blount is the next Dillon for  this team and can carry them to New Jersey... with a retooled  Offensive line (mankins at left tackle- who knew?) and the Defense PLaying into their own talent  (collins and hightower-finally, harmon hitting people, Ryan)  ...  I'm starting to feel this.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to coolade2's comment:

The comparisons to Dillon are uncanny... as I pointed out in the other thread "blount is a beast who runs like dillon"  :

Blount...

Dillon...

Both guys from NW schools (wshington and Oregon)  both with issues off the field...

Why am I the only poster to say Blount is the next Dillon for  this team and can carry them to New Jersey... with a retooled  Offensive line (mankins at left tackle- who knew?) and the Defense PLaying into their own talent  (collins and hightower-finally, harmon hitting people, Ryan)  ...  I'm starting to feel this.

Since I brought up the Dillon comparison and just said he could carry us through the post season, I'm sure that you are not the only poster to say so :-D

Trouts and footballexpert also saw similarities earlier in the thread as well from Blount to Dillon

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to mthurl's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I think he has improved a bit. It looks like he has lost some weight, at the start of camp it looked like his face couldn't fit into his helmet, so either has a bigger helmet now or has lost 7 pounds. He does seem to be running a little more under control  - I imagine Ridley's fumbling had a trickle down effect on the practice field - and he looks a little lower, with some body lean now. I like him, I like what he brings, but I don't think this a game changing guy here we are talking about. I think he still is too slow and that hurts - having said that I think he has helped and will continue to do so.

As for the rest of the runners?? I don't trust Ridley, but he has more talent than Blount. Even yesterday he had that ball out there a bit with his loose running style...and he did that stupid spin move again where he turns his back to the defense and just gets blindly creamed by oncoming linebackers...which is either going to get him killed, or cause another fumble. Vereen is a guy who's inability to stay on the field should concern you, and if it doesn't you are either a homer or extremely optimistic/patient. This guy has only played in 5 games this year and he has left with injury in three of them. In three years he only has 119 rushing attempts...there are guys that do that in a month and a half (I'm serious). Blount is a fill in - nothing more - nothing less.

Honestly though if everyone stays healthy and doesn't fumble, they are good enough at that spot to win in the playoffs. Yesterday proved that. We ran 9 straight times at the end of the game when they knew we were going to do it and they couldn't stop us. There was power running going on...two hands on the ball...mouth pieces going flying, power running. And I liked it.  

[/QUOTE]

Nice breakdown

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I never thought about the comparison to Talib, I always thought of Dillon... but you make a good case.  I recall fans in Tampa being pretty happy to have Talib shipped out of town at the time because he would get burned all the time with them.  I think some players respond well to certain types of coaching and others don't.  I think you brought up a few great success stories. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from stan17. Show stan17's posts

I thought yesterday was his best gm as a Pat. He hit the holes with a purpose and he ran with power. He wasn't going to be denied on those 2 TD's. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to melwitts' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Blount did his best impression of Antoine Smith yesterday...a one cut, then straight ahead , head down, "try and stop me" runner...loved it, especially in the 4th qtr...both he and Ridley wore the Ravens down...don't forget the O line and their ex DT/Fullback Devlin...great blocking all day long by both...

[/QUOTE]

That is what this team needs and what this team wins with.  Two championships with Antoine Smith, ZERO with laurence maroney and one with Corey Dillon.  Bill and Tom don't do well with a running back who dances, they do well with a consistent and strong north south runner. 

Blount was too much Lawrence Maroney to start the year and not enough Antoine Smith.  I think right now Blount would be right between Smith and Dillon.  He was dancing too much for a huge powerful man and wasn't going north south. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to stan17's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I thought yesterday was his best gm as a Pat. He hit the holes with a purpose and he ran with power. He wasn't going to be denied on those 2 TD's. 

[/QUOTE]

I just saw the replay of the first TD again and it was sheer determination that got Blount into the end zone.  The thing that stood out to me there is that Blount protected the ball, got close and stuck the ball out over the line, pulled it back and then rolled to get his whole body over the line. 

It was max effort, but not out of control max effort.  At no point in time was the ball in danger of leaving his hands.  He is a much more dangerous runner IMO than when he started the year.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

We always have Posters here, who should not be Pats Fans. Always negative, was here for many years before and these clowns are like cancer here.

Laz you still out there? Give us a sign!!!!!

What a GREAT WIN!!!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to coolade2's comment:

[QUOTE]

Blount...

Dillon...

[/QUOTE]

Since I brought up the Dillon comparison and just said he could carry us through the post season, I'm sure that you are not the only poster to say so :-D

Trouts and footballexpert also saw similarities earlier in the thread as well from Blount to Dillon

[/QUOTE]

the thread comparing Blount to dillon has DILLON in the title and was started last night at 8pm.  NOt sure if you even read it  but I can bump it for you ... Anyway ... I'm glad we agree.   I just hope McD is on the same page going forward but the key is mixing the plays and riding the hot back (Blount) while keeping the other guys involved to a lesser degree... 

It's really amazing how much all these backs could bring to the offense and in that spread empty formation they are all but ignored.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from crazyworldoftroybrown. Show crazyworldoftroybrown's posts

Blount has gotten better last 3 or 4 weeks. TOUGH, thats OK get into the mind of other Runningbacks.

Wiedrest thing about him is looks like he wont get it done, then he does it.

Sorry YPC is a big thing. Thats a joke.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

the thread comparing Blount to dillon has DILLON in the title and was started last night at 8pm.  NOt sure if you even read it  but I can bump it for you ... Anyway ... I'm glad we agree.   I just hope McD is on the same page going forward but the key is mixing the plays and riding the hot back (Blount) while keeping the other guys involved to a lesser degree... 

It's really amazing how much all these backs could bring to the offense and in that spread empty formation they are all but ignored.

[/QUOTE]

I was bottling up my wine last night at that time and sampling quite a bit of it as well, so missed your post yesterday :-D

Glad we are on the same page as well.  I have been wishing for Corey Dillion since he got old in front of our eyes.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

he had a pretty good game, look like he's our #1 back going into the playoffs,

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In response to melwitts' comment:
    [QUOTE]

Blount did his best impression of Antoine Smith yesterday...a one cut, then straight ahead , head down, "try and stop me" runner...loved it, especially in the 4th qtr...both he and Ridley wore the Ravens down...don't forget the O line and their ex DT/Fullback Devlin...great blocking all day long by both...

[/QUOTE]

I think the more appropriate comparo. Smith played at 230+ lbs

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from geek. Show geek's posts

I didn't expect much of Blount at the beginning of the season, but every time I watch him, he seems to rip off 8 years at a time.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to kansaspatriot's comment:
    [QUOTE]

he had a pretty good game, look like he's our #1 back going into the playoffs,

[/QUOTE]

I think depending on matchup would be who our #1 would be... but I do love the combination of how he played off Ridley's game.  It showed a very strong and aggressive combination with two guys running hard. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from kevin13130. Show kevin13130's posts

Don't know what RB coach Ivan Fears has been telling him, but he definitely looked to be running with more downhill power. The knock on him in Tampa Bay and here earlier in the season was he tended to dance around hits too much for a guy his size. Didn't see any of that against Baltimore.

Maybe they didn't coach him right down in Tampa, but he has all the traits to be a really good feature back: big, powerful, really good vision, and deceptively athletic (for a guy his size). I'm excited to see what he can do in the playoffs.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

In response to kevin13130's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Don't know what RB coach Ivan Fears has been telling him, but he definitely looked to be running with more downhill power. The knock on him in Tampa Bay and here earlier in the season was he tended to dance around hits too much for a guy his size. Didn't see any of that against Baltimore.

Maybe they didn't coach him right down in Tampa, but he has all the traits to be a really good feature back: big, powerful, really good vision, and deceptively athletic (for a guy his size). I'm excited to see what he can do in the playoffs.

[/QUOTE]

I would love for him to run like this in the playoffs.  It would go a long way to helping this team compete for a championship.  

Sections
Shortcuts