Was this Blount's best game?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TheGuyWithDaThing. Show TheGuyWithDaThing's posts

Re: Was this Blount's best game?

Lots of people forget that he likely would have been a 1st or 2nd round pick had it not been for that sucker punch after the Boise State game. Also, if you didn't think he was that good of a back, you obviously didn't watch him in his rookie season, where he was outstanding. It was pretty evident that he either butted heads with the coaches or wasn't as devoted to the game after that, as his playing time dwindled as did his YPC.

I don't know if he'll ever be a feature back over the course of a season (300 carries) moving forward, but he's definitely a good complementary back.

I see more Antowain Smith with him than Corey Dillon. Dillon had a little bit more moves, and came here in the latter years of an outstanding career. Smith was what would be a running back's prime (this should be Blount's as well) after a forgettable start in Buffalo. I also think Smith's style is more like Blount's. He doesn't break many tackles, but he pushes them back a few yards every time. His style may not break nearly as many long runs, but he will turn 2 yard runs into 6 or 7 yards. Once he breaks the line of scrimmage, it's awfully hard to stop him.

I'll take a guy like Blount, who will get you 2 to 3 every time, while also breaking some 10 yarders a few times a game, over Chris Johnson, who gets half his yards on one run, and gets stuffed the rest of the game. I'll take 4.5 YPC from Blount (actually getting 4.5 yards just about every carry) over Chris Johnson getting 5 YPC (1 rush for 40 yards, one rush for 25, then 18 rushes for 35, which is usually how he gets his 100). It's more reliable that way.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from RedSoxDOrtiz. Show RedSoxDOrtiz's posts

I think it is fitting to bump this back up.

Can you say BEAST MODE!  Wow, what a game by Blount!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from melswitts. Show melswitts's posts

BLOUNT FORCE TRAUMA!!!!

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

BLOUNTTTTTTT

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

A special "Thank you" to Jeff Demps for picking track over football,thus making the trade for Blount possible.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to RedSoxDOrtiz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I have been watching the running of Blount since he first ripped off that huge break away touchdown run in preseason.  I liked the way he ran with the ball during his time with Tampa, but he was always a sloppy runner who relied on his instincts.  The beginning of the year we saw a guy who was not consistent, but showed flashes of greatness.  What I saw yesterday is a mature runner in the NFL that has shown a year of hard work. 

This past game, I saw marked improvement in his technique as a runner.  He is finally running with a focus of covering the ball without it interfering with his natural instincts.  I feel like he did a great job of combining the coaching with his natural strengths.  This is the hardest I have seen him run all year and he is running downhill and using his size.

He shows an elusiveness that I have not seen with many other runners in my time as a fan in New England.  He also appears to have trimmed down and seemed faster on his shifts and bursts.  He is running like a big man finally and powering over dudes who get in his way.

I have been begging for the Patriots to find the next Corey Dillion for a while now.  That is the type of running game that has proven successful to Bill and Tom's success in the past.  I hope it points towards success in the future.

What are your thoughts on how our runners are advancing to this point in the year?  Is this the best Blount has been all year and will he beat out Ridley for the top running back spot?  How are we seeing Ridley's progression since fumblitus overtook his starting job?  Is Vereen progressing or regressing / can and should Vereen run inside?

No matter the answers to these questions, I feel like we saw the best complete and consistent of a game yet out of Blount.  He is protecting the ball, running in space, running over men and running north south with quick cuts after first decisions.  He could be an X factor in the playoffs if Vereen is nicked up.

[/QUOTE]

Do Bears sxit in the woods.....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

BB is saying Talib did a good job as personnel director to bring Blount in from Tampa.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nomadfan. Show nomadfan's posts

Blount's stat in this game is almost as impressive as Al Bundy's.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mrmojo1120. Show mrmojo1120's posts

In response to nomadfan's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Blount's stat in this game is almost as impressive as Al Bundy's.

[/QUOTE]

Good old #33 from Polk High!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

No, this one is!!!! Go Pats!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Blount is our best option to run the ball.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, for the rest of the season. he is reading the defense better and bulling hs way through the line. carrying people with him before hegets tackled. dude is a tank