Was Trading Mankins the Wright Move for Pats?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Was Trading Mankins the Wright Move for Pats?

Folks...got some news about Tim Wright. He's a 6'4", 229 lb. H-back/TE. He's a converted WR. Wright was an undrafted free agent in last years' draft, out of (gulp) Rutgers. In his rookie season, Wright played in all 16 games, starting in 8 of those. He had 54 receptions for 597 yards, and 5 TDs, averaging 10.6 yards per catch. He posted 4.65 speed in the 40 at the Combine. In addition to getting Wright, the Pats also get Tampa's 2015 fourth (4th) round pick.

That said, Wright has been in Lovie Smith's doghouse throughout this preseason. There was some speculation that he would be cut. But, then there's this article: http://espn.go.com/blog/tampa-bay-buccaneers/post/_/id/5730/tim-wright-back-in-good-graces-with-lovie" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/blog/tampa-bay-buccaneers/post/_/id/5730/tim-wright-back-in-good-graces-with-lovie

I commend BB for his courage in making this deal. At best, the Pats get a 24 year old Aaron Hernandez type H-back TE, who can create great match-up difficulties, like in the good ol' AH/Gronk days. They also get a 2015 4th round pick, which could be a top 12 pick in round 4.

At worst, they lose a leader on their OL, who might be able to squeeze out another pro-bowl caliber season...and the Pats add depth to the TE position. But with this trade, they also lose an overpaid, perhaps, at this stage of his career, even an overrated, OG, who has had some injury problems over the past couple of years. BB likely remembers the biggest play of the Pats' 2013 season. It happened in the AFC title game in Denver when, on a 4th down play, Broncos' DT Terrance Knighton steamrolled over Mankins to sack Tom Brady, and clinch the AFC title for Denver.  

Folks...I believe in the theory that it's better to part with a player a year early, than a year too late...and BB always seems to know when to cut ties with his veterans. In short, I like the trade. Lets' hope that Mr. Wright is the right fit at TE, in New England.  

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Re: Was Trading Mankins the Wright Move for Pats?

The Bucs drafted ASJ and Mike Evans, and they already had VJax. They are set at the very tall pass receiver position. Wright was expendable.

On the other hand, they were desperate at guard. The loss of Nicks was never overcome. Even with Mankins, OL is still their weakest position. Well, maybe QB if McCown doesn't pan out. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

I don't think you can ignore the fact they have some depth in the interior  of the O-line which allowed them to trade some salary which may allow them to sign 1 or multiple younger core players.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

thanks TexasPat for your analysis. I agree with you its always better to get rid of a guy a year early and get something for him than a year late!

"Giggedy, Giggedy!"

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from deebz. Show deebz's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Folks...got some news about Tim Wright. He's a 6'4", 229 lb. H-back/TE. He's a converted WR. Wright was an undrafted free agent in last years' draft, out of (gulp) Rutgers. In his rookie season, Wright played in all 16 games, starting in 8 of those. He had 54 receptions for 597 yards, and 5 TDs, averaging 10.6 yards per catch. He posted 4.65 speed in the 40 at the Combine. In addition to getting Wright, the Pats also get Tampa's 2015 fourth (4th) round pick.

That said, Wright has been in Lovie Smith's doghouse throughout this preseason. There was some speculation that he would be cut. But, then there's this article: http://espn.go.com/blog/tampa-bay-buccaneers/post/_/id/5730/tim-wright-back-in-good-graces-with-lovie" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/blog/tampa-bay-buccaneers/post/_/id/5730/tim-wright-back-in-good-graces-with-lovie" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/blog/tampa-bay-buccaneers/post/_/id/5730/tim-wright-back-in-good-graces-with-lovie" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/blog/tampa-bay-buccaneers/post/_/id/5730/tim-wright-back-in-good-graces-with-lovie" rel="nofollow">http://espn.go.com/blog/tampa-bay-buccaneers/post/_/id/5730/tim-wright-back-in-good-graces-with-lovie

I commend BB for his courage in making this deal. At best, the Pats get a 24 year old Aaron Hernandez type H-back TE, who can create great match-up difficulties, like in the good ol' AH/Gronk days. They also get a 2015 4th round pick, which could be a top 12 pick in round 4.

At worst, they lose a leader on their OL, who might be able to squeeze out another pro-bowl caliber season...and the Pats add depth to the TE position. But with this trade, they also lose an overpaid, perhaps, at this stage of his career, even an overrated, OG, who has had some injury problems over the past couple of years. BB likely remembers the biggest play of the Pats' 2013 season. It happened in the AFC title game in Denver when, on a 4th down play, Broncos' DT Terrance Knighton steamrolled over Mankins to sack Tom Brady, and clinch the AFC title for Denver.  

Folks...I believe in the theory that it's better to part with a player a year early, than a year too late...and BB always seems to know when to cut ties with his veterans. In short, I like the trade. Lets' hope that Mr. Wright is the right fit at TE, in New England.  

Here is more information and analysis:

That and these articles:
    http://www.rotoback.com/tag/logan-mankins/" rel="nofollow">http://www.rotoback.com/tag/logan-mankins/
    https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/02/28/jvm-guards-and-centers/" rel="nofollow">https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/02/28/jvm-guards-and-centers/

First one shows that Logan graded out in 2013 at a negative for pass blocking last year compared with a positive career rating. Run blocking down too.

The second one points out that Mankins was way overpriced for his production, especially with 2013 being the first of 3 years with a $10 million+ cap hit. Key point here is that Mankins ranked 19th among guards (out of, theoretically 64 starters in all of NFL) and that he had not been in Top 10 since 2010!

BTW, he’s 32 ½ …

Projected Starter Year Position 2013 P-Block 2013 R-Block Career AVG P-Block Career AVG R-Block
    Logan Mankins 10 LG -2.70 16.30 2.59 21.00

http://www.rotoback.com/tag/logan-mankins/" rel="nofollow">http://www.rotoback.com/tag/logan-mankins/

Logan Mankin’s had a down year in pass blocking but just like what’s been expected of him he had another monster run blocking year. Since 2007 he’s been consistently amongst the run blocking elite for guards.

Ryan Wendell’s 2013 season put up the lowest pass blocking grade amongst all starting centers in the league. His career hasn’t been much better in pass blocking and considering the AFC East has some of the best defensive line players in the league his inability to keep up could very well be one of the biggest contributing factors to Brady’s 2013 decline, as interior pressure has been found as the most difficult to handle. On the other spectrum though, Wendell put up the highest run blocking grade of all centers a year ago in 2012 and followed it up with a below league average season. In Wendell’s short career as a starter, it’s hard to tell which of the two is an outlier, but it’s worth noting that in week 6 of 2013 Wendall suffered a concussion, which could have had something to do with how poorly he played. However, he was only on the injury report for that one week and missed no games.

Dan Connolly has seen himself moved around very often on the Patriots offensive line although he’s always been stuck in the interior positions (LG/C/RG). In 2012 when he had his first full year starting at one position on the offensive line, he graded out just around average. In 2013 he would have the fifth lowest grade of all guards for pass blocking and find himself right around the average for run blocking. Connolly also was listed on the injury report with a concussion that he suffered before week 7, but missed no games. Before that had happened though, Connolly’s pass blocking was already incredibly poor for the year.
    Sebastian Vollmer solidifies the right side by being consistently above average in his career and even with last season being cut short by injury still managed to put up an above average grade in both pass and run blocking.

Final Analysis: It’s not hard to see why Tom Brady had such a hard time in 2013. The New England Patriots Offensive Line had two interior lineman that were amongst the league’s worst in pass blocking and that led to Brady’s time in pocket being bottom 3 in both Time to Throw and Time to Sack. The AFC East has some of the best defensive line talent in the NFL (the Williams of Buffalo, the Three Son’s of the Jets, and the duo of Cameron Wake and Oliver Vernon) so Brady could be in for another long season. On the other side, the run blocking as a unit was very strong with two of the best run blockers anchoring the left side. The Patriots in fact rank first amongst all OL for runs in between Center and either Guard. It’s crazy to think that the entirety of next years O-line is not only returning starters but their career average for Run Blocking would be twice the regular league wide average of all positions summed up. That kind of prolific interior blocking makes it very easy for me to buy into any RB starting behind the New England Patriots offensive line.
    Click here to return to the Offensive Line Hub post.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/02/28/jvm-guards-and-centers/" rel="nofollow">https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/02/28/jvm-guards-and-centers/

Guards — Overvalued
    1. Chris Snee*, New York Giants
    Just like Carl Nicks in 2012, Chris Snee unfortunately had his season wash out in a year with a monster cap hit. The 32-year-old guard played three games before succumbing to a hip injury and missing the rest of the season. The Giants right guard had been the picture of health prior to 2013, missing just one game since he signed his six-year, $42.5m in 2008. The alarming thing for Snee is that the Giants were almost better off without him. The 10th-year veteran had allowed 13 pressures and amassed a grade of -6.4 in the 188 snaps he played before he got hurt.
    2013 Cap Hit: $8.5m
    2013 Jahnke Value Model: $206k
    Value Differential: -$8.3m

2. Daryn Colledge, Arizona Cardinals
    Believe it or not, Daryn Colledge is currently the 12th-highest paid guard in terms of average per year. One could argue that he never really deserved to be there as his combined grade the two previous seasons prior to signing with Arizona was just +6.4. The Cardinals were desperately in need of line help in 2011 and threw cash at a proven commodity. The problem is that proven commodity was a league average guard then, and he’s a league average guard now. Colledge’s grades since he came to Arizona in 2011 are +0.7, -0.8, and -1.4. There is certainly value in playing every snap at an average level, but that value is nowhere near $7.3m.
    2013 Cap Hit: $7.3m
    2013 Jahnke Value Model: $1.3m
    Value Differential: -$6m

3. Logan Mankins, New England Patriots
    If you’ve followed this series at all, you’ve probably noticed that cap numbers like $10m routinely go unfulfilled. The reason for this I believe is two-fold. The first reason is that only a select few can stay on top year after year after year. Great players have down years and in those years it will look like they’re not worth the money. The other reason is that these large cap hits often appear at the end of contracts to balance out underpaying early in the deal. Mankins’ deal is a little of both. The Pats’ left guard signed his six-year, $51m deal after a phenomenal stretch in the late 2000’s and he then proceeded to have a few down years by his standards. Mankins wouldn’t have made our overvalued list those years though because his cap hits were just $5m and $7m. 2013 was the first year of three straight $10m+ cap hit seasons. His +8.6 grade this past season ranked 19th among guards and Mankins hasn’t been in the Top 10 since he signed his contract.
    2013 Cap Hit: $10m
    2013 Jahnke Value Model: $4.2m
    Value Differential: -$5.8m

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Eldunker. Show Eldunker's posts

Thanks deebz.  Very informative post. which is a welcomed relief from all the self-professed expert hot-air bags on here.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to Muzwell's comment:
    [QUOTE]

The Bucs drafted ASJ and Mike Evans, and they already had VJax. They are set at the very tall pass receiver position. Wright was expendable.

On the other hand, they were desperate at guard. The loss of Nicks was never overcome. Even with Mankins, OL is still their weakest position. Well, maybe QB if McCown doesn't pan out. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

+1 they didn't need him but needed Mankins, we needed another weapon for the RZ and another TE in case Gronk went down and some cap relief to resign a number of players critical to move forward (Revis, McCourty, 1 of our RBs, Cannon, Solder). This kid looks like a poor mans Hernandez (hopefully without issues), perfect for a #2 TE role with Hooman being the main blocking backup and will give what I hope they would get from a #2 TE role. Seems like a good move for both sides. Provided Wright gives the Pats what he gave in Tampa AND we use the saved cash to resign our guys and not just sign 6 extra guys who fall apart in camp next off season then this should be a win/win for both sides.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

In response to deebz's comment:
    [QUOTE]

First one shows that Logan graded out in 2013 at a negative for pass blocking last year compared with a positive career rating. Run blocking down too.

[/QUOTE]

That's a bit misleading; his run block grade was slightly lower than his career average, but was still elite league-wide.  I can't find an easy leader board for those rankings, but clicking through each AFC team he was ranked 5th out of the 80 starters in run blocking [behind only Andrew Whitworth (CIN, LT/LG), King Dunlap (SD, LT), Chris Myers (HOU, C), Brandon Brooks (HOU, RG)]

I'm not sure how I feel about this.  From a pure trade standpoint, Mankins for Wright & the 4th, I'm not wild about it.  Wright might be a mini-Hern, but Mankins was the unquestioned leader of this O-line, and brought an attitude that I don't see any other lineman on the team have.  I remember when he held out in 2010; when he came back, he not only had a phenomenal final 9 games, but he transformed the entire O-line.

His pass blocking isn't elite, but that's not the general standard for interior linemen; he is one of the best run blockers in the game.  And considering how weak both Wendell and Connolly were last year, in both aspects of their game, this creates a huge question mark that is now 3 positions wide across the interior line instead of just 2 (C-RG).

That said, if this trade has the side benefit of allowing them to lock up 2 or 3 of Solder, McCourty and Revis to extensions, I would call it a win.  Hopefully Connolly can have a bounce back year, and Kline, Cannon or Stork can emerge to solidify the interior.  (I have zero confidence in Wendell)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

That's a bit misleading; his run block grade was slightly lower than his career average, but was still elite league-wide.  I can't find an easy leader board for those rankings, but clicking through each AFC team he was ranked 5th out of the 80 starters in run blocking [behind only Andrew Whitworth (CIN, LT/LG), King Dunlap (SD, LT), Chris Myers (HOU, C), Brandon Brooks (HOU, RG)]

I'm not sure how I feel about this.  From a pure trade standpoint, Mankins for Wright & the 4th, I'm not wild about it.  Wright might be a mini-Hern, but Mankins was the unquestioned leader of this O-line, and brought an attitude that I don't see any other lineman on the team have.  I remember when he held out in 2010; when he came back, he not only had a phenomenal final 9 games, but he transformed the entire O-line.

His pass blocking isn't elite, but that's not the general standard for interior linemen; he is one of the best run blockers in the game.  And considering how weak both Wendell and Connolly were last year, in both aspects of their game, this creates a huge question mark that is now 3 positions wide across the interior line instead of just 2 (C-RG).

That said, if this trade has the side benefit of allowing them to lock up 2 or 3 of Solder, McCourty and Revis to extensions, I would call it a win.  Hopefully Connolly can have a bounce back year, and Kline, Cannon or Stork can emerge to solidify the interior.  (I have zero confidence in Wendell)

[/QUOTE]

The one thing we know...he wasn't worth what he was making, not producing in a way that makes you want to overpay for a 32-33 year old G. That was what got him traded, his refusal to renegotiate this weekend and his bad value versus contract cost situation. The fact that there are decent backups available to them made the decision easier. Not sure I LIKE it, but there it is.

BB sure keeps things "interesting"!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I never expected Mankins to play out his contract here and expected that he would be cut toward the end of his deal because we all know he was never going to agree to a pay cut/restructure.  Instead BB got something for him before he had no trade value or was dead money after being cut.  Someone said the Pats may not be as capable along the OL this year, which most of us probably agree on.  But there are other younger guys who need to be extended, so I suspect this deal was as much about the cap space than getting anything of value back from TB.  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from garytx. Show garytx's posts

It sure was a shocker but it makes sense.  Not living up to a contract can make something like this happen in a hurry.  When the opportunity strikes take full advantage of it.  That's what BB did.  If you can be neutral this really is a coup of sorts.  Getting rid of an aging, performance declining, big cap hit player looks to be a sure thing to do.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonSportsFan111. Show BostonSportsFan111's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Revenge is sweet.  I never liked his contract and i always thought he was classless in calling kraft a liar.

Welker was a postseason fraud as is mankins.

People tried to scapegoat others but after watching falter for so long in the postseason, it looks like bb has had enough as well.

I applaud the move.

[/QUOTE]
    Wait, I thought every post season failure was on Tom Brady? Now it's Welker and Mankins? 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to MattC05's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

BB must really like Kline, Devey, and Halapio, and Fleming, to risk such a move. I like the deal. Though I have been critical (and, unfortunately, justifiably so) of BB's past drafts, he usually comes out on top when it comes to trading off his veterans.

The one thing that concerns me is that Tim Wright was having difficulty getting acclimated to the H-back position in Tampa, during the preseason: http://tbo.com/sports/bucs/bucs-wright-may-be-struggling-in-new-role-20140817/ ;

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

BB must really like Kline, Devey, and Halapio, and Fleming, to risk such a move. I like the deal. Though I have been critical (and, unfortunately, justifiably so) of BB's past drafts, he usually comes out on top when it comes to trading off his veterans. 

+1

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

Here's a somewhat interesting article on the trade. Like most of the so-called expert takes, they are baffled by this trade. But, they are hesitant to bash BB and the Pats...feeling that BB must know something, or have something "up his sleeve": http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/patriots-trade-pro-bowl-guard-logan-mankins-to-tampa-bay-for-tight-end-180904172.html

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I have not been a big Mankins booster to say the least, but this looks like a bonehead deal by the GM to me.

Question: How can you tell when Rusty's lying?

Answer: He typed something.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejuice1. Show thejuice1's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

I have not been a big Mankins booster to say the least, but this looks like a bonehead deal by the GM to me.

Well like Rustys massive, pathetic bias against TB, you have the same against BB the GM.

So anything you say regarding BB as GM should be taken as such and thus paid no attention.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Some thoughts about what/why this trade and impact:

1. Mankins is older and the coaches must like the rest of the depth they have inside

2. Saved a bunch of cap money which could be used to extend: REVIS, and/or Solder and/or Vereen and/or Ridley and/or McCourty

3. While Wright is a "move" TE (like Hern) he is about 25 pounds lighter, is not at all the blocker (at least as reported) and not quite the huge matchup problem. Still this gives some depth at that position and Wright had great production for a rookie (and a rookie playing a NEW position which makes his performance even more impressive)

4. Team get younger quickly and picks up another draft pick next year (a high 4th has some value in BBs hands in spite of nay sayers here)

5. This indicates they are going to sign Cannon (likely anyway but even more likely now)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from mellymel3. Show mellymel3's posts

In response to thejuice1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Well like Rustys massive, pathetic bias against TB, you have the same against BB the GM.

So anything you say regarding BB as GM should be taken as such and thus paid no attention.

[/QUOTE]

+1

Faced in Place...lmfao!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

Really, TP? A pun?

Mankins had more than a "down" year in pass blocking. He was terrible. In 2013, he allowed 11 sacks, 5 hits, and 22 hurries. You can always find guards. If your going to pay a guard that kind of money he'd better be elite and durable. Mankins was neither over the past 2 seasons.

To the people who hate this trade, you likely hated the Seymour trade that yielded Nate Solder, or the cutting of the overpaid Lawyer Malloy after an awful '02 season. OTOH, if you agreed with these past transactions, then your misgivings make no sense.

The Pats get a 4th round pick and a big, physical pass catcher with upside for an aging, overpaid guard. As mentioned, the trade is indicative of the state of the young OLs progress. All good things.

...the King of the Rumba Beat...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

Revenge is sweet.  I never liked his contract and i always thought he was classless in calling kraft a liar.

People tried to scapegoat others but after watching falter for so long in the postseason, it looks like bb has had enough as well.

I applaud the move.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Mankins proved you wrong for 4 seasons and ww caught 9 tds from manning last year.

You were wrong then, and wrong now.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Marcus Cannon might be our best o linemen this year, and he wasn't starting.

Insert Cannon into Mankins vacancy and miss nothing for a fraction of the cost, plus the savings next year and the anticipated decline of an old warrior like Logan.

Again, great player, great career, and probably a great move to get a quality NFL starting TE who is cheap and young.

[object HTMLDivElement]

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

This trade is about clearing cap space to sign other guys like McCourty.  I think it creates some uncertainty about the quality of the interior line, but there are a lot of young bodies to compete there.  Not sure about Wright.  He may or may not provide much.  

I do wonder what this means for the run game.  We get rid of our best run blocking guard (and one who sometimes got beat pass blocking) and acquire a TE not known for run blocking.  Think we are a planning to be a passing offense? 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Fletcherbrook. Show Fletcherbrook's posts

[QUOTE]

I applaud the move.

[/QUOTE]

The dude forgets his own positions. He's certifiable.

Sections
Shortcuts