Was waiving Price a mistake? 4 team claim him

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

Was waiving Price a mistake? 4 team claim him

We released Price to make room for McDonald, who was needed since he was our starting C in the game. Since Price was practice squad eligible, maybe BB was hoping he won't get claimed. The fact that O'Brien said just 2 weeks ago that we need more Price in the game leads me to believe the kid had some potential. 

And now that 4 teams put a claim on him is givng me a sinking feeling we might have let one go because we needed roster room and couldn't drop anyone else. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Re: Was waiving Price a mistake? 4 team claim him

No.  BB knows when to cut players loose better than anyone.  I mean Haynesworth was claimed.  That tells you all you need to know about the logic of using claims.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Time will tell. For now, they freed a roster spot on a guy who couldn't play to Bill's standards.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Clearly Price did not fit in the system in NE.  He will look better on a team with less talent.  Get rid of dead weight and make room for players that can contribute.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatFanInBA2. Show PatFanInBA2's posts

I have a bad feeling about this one - he has not been on the field / targeted much. But, when he was - i thought he showed much promise..

Get this feeling that we may have let him go too soon...

Do not remember him dropping passes - do you?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Schumpeters-Ghost. Show Schumpeters-Ghost's posts

The mistake was drafting him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Re: Was waiving Price a mistake? 4 team claim him:
    The mistake was drafting him.
    Posted by Schumpeters-Ghost

i agree. i believe, even as far back as two years ago, people here were asking for a pass rusher.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Price has got nothing. If he had something he would still be here. If you can't get on the field qith this motley collection of WRs (not Wes of course), you have a problem.

It is a very difficult case to make that BB has let anybody go that was worth keeping outright, or worth the cost to keep them.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Getzo. Show Getzo's posts

I honestly feel he could become a good receiver on a team where he can do more basic route running.. like a number system that Ocho came from.  Let his raw ability make plays rather than his smarts....

He didn't fit in NE unfortunately.

11. This post has been removed.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrnkBnhm. Show FrnkBnhm's posts

No.  BB knows when to cut players loose better than anyone.  I mean Haynesworth was claimed.  That tells you all you need to know about the logic of using claims.
    Posted by pcmIV

What does that prove? Hayneworth has been more productive (although still not a anything special) since joining the Bucs. 

I think the real issue is that Price (like all of the Patriots recent WR picks) was a "value" pick. Hoping that the upside would pan out. Price played for a team that not throw much in college, Tate got injured and missed the last seven games his senoir year, Slater got moved to DB at UCLA after his sophomore year but somehow got turned back into a WR in the NFL, and Edelman was a college QB.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

In response to "Re: Was waiving Price a mistake? 4 team claim him":
    In Response to Re: Was waiving Price a mistake? 4 team claim him : What does that prove? Hayneworth has been more productive (although still not a anything special) since joining the Bucs.  I think the real issue is that Price (like all of the Patriots recent WR picks) was a "value" pick. Hoping that the upside would pan out. Price played for a team that not throw much in college, Tate got injured and missed the last seven games his senoir year, Slater got moved to DB at UCLA after his sophomore year but somehow got turned back into a WR in the NFL, and Edelman was a college QB. Posted by FrnkBnhm
    How was he a value pick? He was a third round pick and would get the same pay as any third round pick they could have taken.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from dogbones. Show dogbones's posts

"We released Price to make room for McDonald"

"We" didn't release him, coach Belichick did.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

How many players has Bill waived or cut who went on to stardom?

Insert the sound of crickets chirping

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

According to M. Reiss, Price was one of the most athletically gifted recievers the Pats ever had. After O'brian said they were going to work him into the Offense he essentially didn't see the field and was cut because Brady wasn't satisfied with him.Could he at least been given a few "go" routes to run to build some confidence? That was how T. OWENS [a.h.] was handled by Steve Young and the Niners until he finally stopped dropping balls and made a big catch to win in the playoffs. Just wondering 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

TSWFAN I'm with you. I think Brady has some blame on this one. Brady is extremely picky on his WR's and for some reason just doesn't develop young WR's like he did with Branch and Givens. If he doesn't have complete trust in the WR he won't even give them a chance.

This isn't saying I want Brady gone, I don't want any other QB then Brady. But, I do think Brady needs to watch some film of himself when he first entered the league and how he spread the ball around. He needs to rediscover how to work young WR's into the team, whether that is extra work after practice or just giving them a couple more chances a game to make a play and gain some confidence. This is where I believe Brady's perfectionist style backfires a little. If the WR's aren't running the routes exactly as Brady sees how they should be run he just won't give them looks. In the end I think it really hinders a WR's development.

Ok Babe let me have it.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

TSWFAN I'm with you. I think Brady has some blame on this one. Brady is extremely picky on his WR's and for some reason just doesn't develop young WR's like he did with Branch and Givens. If he doesn't have complete trust in the WR he won't even give them a chance. This isn't saying I want Brady gone, I don't want any other QB then Brady. But, I do think Brady needs to watch some film of himself when he first entered the league and how he spread the ball around. He needs to rediscover how to work young WR's into the team, whether that is extra work after practice or just giving them a couple more chances a game to make a play and gain some confidence. This is where I believe Brady's perfectionist style backfires a little. If the WR's aren't running the routes exactly as Brady sees how they should be run he just won't give them looks. In the end I think it really hinders a WR's development. Ok Babe let me have it.
    Posted by PatsEng

I don't understand this line of thinking.  Name a receiver that the Patriots cut because they couldn't see the field or couldn't meet Tom's standards or whatever that actually went on to do something.  Maybe the reason none of the drafted receivers since Branch have stuck is because they aren't very good?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

there are plenty of scrubs to drop on this team that noone wants if that were the case. He has talent, but doesnt have whats needed upstairs to succeed in this offense and what should we have expected. He came from an obscure school w/ a pedestrian , running offense.

Hopefully he just does ok and doesnt turn into Miles Austin or that would give me a sinking feeling...

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

In Response to Re: Was waiving Price a mistake? 4 team claim him : I don't understand this line of thinking.  Name a receiver that the Patriots cut because they couldn't see the field or couldn't meet Tom's standards or whatever that actually went on to do something.  Maybe the reason none of the drafted receivers since Branch have stuck is because they aren't very good?
    Posted by pcmIV

Once an athlete's confidence is damaged it is tough to restore especially at this level of competition Maybe that has something to do with it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

Could be Brady, but I doubt it.  He has integrated Moss, Welker, Gaffney, Hernandez, and Gronk into this offense in the last 5 years.  Guys have their best years here.  The title TE makes no difference when talking passing about guys he's integrated. 

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a QB who has put more new pieces into his offense in the last few years.  What has Manning done since Clark and Wayne-one guy maybe- Garcon.  Heck, he even made Caldwell a legit receiver.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from mcboyd22. Show mcboyd22's posts

I think they should have kept him. Realize Bill has a great history of letting players go, but I think that is mostly with veterans losing a step, etc. Lawyer Milloy, Willie McGinest, etc.

From pre-season, he looked to have great hands, speed, etc. I think the last injury made him expendable.

Wish he would have made it to the field.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Could be Brady, but I doubt it.  He has integrated Moss, Welker, Gaffney, Hernandez, and Gronk into this offense in the last 5 years.  Guys have their best years here.  The title TE makes no difference when talking passing about guys he's integrated.  I think you'd be hard pressed to find a QB who has put more new pieces into his offense in the last few years.  What has Manning done since Clark and Wayne-one guy maybe- Garcon.  Heck, he even made Caldwell a legit receiver.
    Posted by shenanigan

Shen you are selling Manning short. He has made a player out of Collie, A.Gonzalez right outta college and Blair White! and made players out of a bunch of no name tight ends like Tamme, and the guy who burnt us in 06 AFCCG...

I think the bigger issue w/us is talent scouting as Price should never have been picked in the 3rd or maybe ever. If there werent any good WR's then grab the best defensive player. We all agree B.B. can get anyone ready to play defense right?  SO why pick up an obscure player and expect something from him in this offense....???

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

TSWFAN I'm with you. I think Brady has some blame on this one. Brady is extremely picky on his WR's and for some reason just doesn't develop young WR's like he did with Branch and Givens.
    Posted by PatsEng

Except Aaron and Gronk right? Those are both young guys that brady is passing to a ton.

I dont think this is an issue of developing a young guy, I think its an issue of a young guy not developing the way you would expect. He couldnt get on the field over underwood, who is also a young guy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I wouldn't be surprised to see Price have a nice little career.  But it was obvious that he was buried on the depth chart due to injuries, lack of confidence or something.  If he was injured they would have put him on IR.  It seems some of the beat reporters think that he couldn't develop a rapport with Brady, which is the death knell for any WR here. 

Sections
Shortcuts