Was waiving Price a mistake? 4 team claim him

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Re: Was waiving Price a mistake? 4 team claim him

In Response to Re: Was waiving Price a mistake? 4 team claim him:
    [QUOTE]V.Brown in S.D. looked ok on sunday(rook), and Kyle Williams is starting to come on for San Fran,drafted in 10' after Price. I think the difference is other teams NEED them to perform so they get chances in games to make mistakes(Torrey in B.more) and here , like you said if Wes and Gronk are healthy, Price never sees the field. I dont agree with this because practice can only tell you so much. What if Price is gamer who performs better on game days? How would we ever know? like Rusty said, he came in for one play in ONE game this year, dropped a bad Brady pass and then went into obscurity. Seems noone is checking w/Brady to see what he wants. Once again why Get a guy with a large learning curve and then not let him get on the field to learn????  I guess its because of Bradys comment, but games like the Colts would be perfect time to integrate and what did Ocho get? 2 Targets!!   Baffling to me!
    Posted by JayShizzle45[/QUOTE]

Good post

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

[QUOTE] "We released Price to make room for McDonald"  "We" didn't release him, coach Belichick did.
    Posted by dogbones[/QUOTE]

Oh, quit it.  "WE" signifies our identification with the team.  If you don't identify with them, what is the whole point in being a fan?  If you suffer when they lose, exult when they win, and bite your nails to nothing and nearly have a heart attack when its close, unconciously kick your legs every time BJGE hits the line (my wife gets mad I keep knocking things off the coffee table) then it is WE.  Dang, I was heartbroken for weeks after we lost the SB in 07.  Stupid, but that is what makes a fan, rather than an enthusiast.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Was waiving Price a mistake? 4 team claim him : Oh, quit it.  "WE" signifies our identification with the team.  If you don't identify with them, what is the whole point in being a fan?  If you suffer when they lose, exult when they win, and bite your nails to nothing and nearly have a heart attack when its close, unconciously kick your legs every time BJGE hits the line (my wife gets mad I keep knocking things off the coffee table) then it is WE.  Dang, I was heartbroken for weeks after we lost the SB in 07.  Stupid, but that is what makes a fan, rather than an enthusiast.
    Posted by Davedsone[/QUOTE]

I'm with you Dave. I couldn't listen to any sports radio, read any sports articles, and was depressed for like a month. It really took draft talk and the Celtics making a great run to pull me out of that funk

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Benkarkis. Show Benkarkis's posts

Is Jermaine Cunningham next?

Another waste of a top draft pick.

THIS IS RIDICULOUS. 

For the 10000000th time, take a look at the picks. since 2006  For every Gronk, there is 20  misses. 

Whose fault, who knows BB, Brady, the scouts,? 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

Price was a 3rd round pick from an offense that did not throw much.  It was a gamble.  He had the build, speed and athleticism to succeed.  He failed at staying healthy.  He could not stay on the field.  I think part of the problem was that he did not condition himself.  if a player works hard and tries hard, he will have a spot on the Patriot roster.  I think Price failed to apply himself.  Look at the players that are on the roster.  Price did not play on special teams.  Why is that?  doesn't BB say you have to earn your time on the field.  Did Price earn his time?  I dont think so.  Underwood has more value as a special teams player and a receiver.  I do not expect Price to light the world on fire. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfiton. Show kjfiton's posts

i think its going to be a mistake.. he hasn't done anything here, he's been hurt and hasn't been on the field much for whatever reasons but imo he can play if given the chance. i hope to be wrong on this and very well could be... time will tell.

7. This post has been removed.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

The problem can't be solved unless someone else starts picking the groceries, which we all know will never happen because Kraft is blindly loyal to Belichick and would never even suggest a change in approach. 

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Well, we'll have to examine his stats in Jacksonville if there ever are any. 

In the Parcells/Belichick world, guys who decide to live in the trainer's room get shown the door.  No production, no place for you.  This what happened to Price.  I really wanted to see this guy play but I think the right decision was taken in this case.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ChasaB. Show ChasaB's posts

[QUOTE]The problem can't be solved unless someone else starts picking the groceries, which we all know will never happen because Kraft is blindly loyal to Belichick and would never even suggest a change in approach. 
    Posted by ShiningWizard[/QUOTE]

I wasnt aware that being the team of the last decade, and this decade being maybe 2nd only to greenbay  so far is the definition of a problem.

People on this board like to talk about how our drafts are garbage. Do me a favor, find a team that had a better history the last 4 years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]Anyone complaining about recent scouting, Caserio in for Pioli with help from Reese and BB, is clueless. It's the best infrastructure here since 2000/2001 when this started. Sorry, but you are. Not every draft pick can make it. This is the first time in a few years, we've seen stability with the scouts, the quality and the front office working as one. It wasn't that way after the 2004, 2005 seasons into 2006 because everyone wanted a piece of the actions, whether it be coaches, scouts, etc. Pioli fended off offers left and right and then finally caved in in 2009, with Dimitroff, a year earlier in 2008. All that has an effect on the process. Please learn and read.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKingII[/QUOTE]

I can't speak for most King but I can speak for myself. What frustrates me is not that they miss on picks it's where they pick. Lets say for instance 50% of 1st rounders become productive (I'm not talking pro-bowlers just give you solid reps and become starters at some point in there careers) and 25% of second rounds become productive (same as 1st), then 3rd rounders are about 25% but productive now includes role players and solid backups and keep halving that for each round there after.

Well in recent years the Pats have had enough picks in that 2nd-3rd range to always find that 1 productive player every draft class and maybe a decent backup. But, in order to do that they trade back one of their 1st's (which BB's hit rate on 1st I would say has been marginally better then the average over the last 5 years or so).

That's where I don't like the philosophy. I'd rather take a shot on 2 1st rounders who have a higher shot of becoming impact players then to draft 1 1st 2-3 2nds and 1-2 3rds every year. The money's about the same spent and the hit rate is about the same and if you use your 2nd to move into next year every year (either for a early 2nd or end of the round 1st team) you are essentially doing the same thing as you are now the only difference is instead of 6-7 early round picks you only come out with 3-4 but you have a better shot that a couple of those 3-4 will become impact players then those 6-7.

That's my only gripe really. When you have a major need or a draft is rich in talent for a position you could use then I'd like to move up or use the picks more frequently and only trade down if the talent isn't there or you don't need to fill certain positions. I'm just not a big fan or value picking because you'll always come out with a solid player but usually will never come out with an impact player (of course Gronk and Hernandez and maybe Cannon might prove that wrong but they all had 1st to early 2nd talent and fell for different reasons. That doesn't always happen, you can't always find a Brady in the 6th)

13. This post has been removed.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

Do you folks really buy that in 2 years the only reason he didnt see the field was a hammy?

Hammies are convenient excuses for the Pats. We dont have many unconditioned players and how do we know that Price DIDNT WANT TO play special teams?

He did it in preseason and looked great, he had 5 catches for 105 yards vs JVille.

He isnt a bum, but the Pats sold some of you on that hammy...They just didnt want to admit they made a mistake. Chad had a hammy last week right? and then played this past week.

Price's hamstring injury came about on a Friday during a walkthrough?! right after O'bie endorsed him and said yeah we are gonna get him involved as we need to.

Then after he is released, Obie said he didnt practice well?!?!  Im not buying that c rap. Same way we all thougt Big Al wasnt playing due to his conditioning right???  and then he goes to T.B. and plays 90 % of snaps! />?!?

Keep drinking the kool aid. Price has no hammy issues and will play special teams in Jville and light it up. Poor evaluation is it. Nothing else.

I told you guys about BIg Al before all the experts did and everyone talked shyt to me about it. I said he hits the ground too much and you guys kept buying he was outta shape until the day he was gone.  Wake up People!

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Was waiving Price a mistake? 4 team claim him : I can't speak for most King but I can speak for myself. What frustrates me is not that they miss on picks it's where they pick. Lets say for instance 50% of 1st rounders become productive (I'm not talking pro-bowlers just give you solid reps and become starters at some point in there careers) and 25% of second rounds become productive (same as 1st), then 3rd rounders are about 25% but productive now includes role players and solid backups and keep halving that for each round there after. Well in recent years the Pats have had enough picks in that 2nd-3rd range to always find that 1 productive player every draft class and maybe a decent backup. But, in order to do that they trade back one of their 1st's (which BB's hit rate on 1st I would say has been marginally better then the average over the last 5 years or so). That's where I don't like the philosophy. I'd rather take a shot on 2 1st rounders who have a higher shot of becoming impact players then to draft 1 1st 2-3 2nds and 1-2 3rds every year. The money's about the same spent and the hit rate is about the same and if you use your 2nd to move into next year every year (either for a early 2nd or end of the round 1st team) you are essentially doing the same thing as you are now the only difference is instead of 6-7 early round picks you only come out with 3-4 but you have a better shot that a couple of those 3-4 will become impact players then those 6-7. That's my only gripe really. When you have a major need or a draft is rich in talent for a position you could use then I'd like to move up or use the picks more frequently and only trade down if the talent isn't there or you don't need to fill certain positions. I'm just not a big fan or value picking because you'll always come out with a solid player but usually will never come out with an impact player (of course Gronk and Hernandez and maybe Cannon might prove that wrong but they all had 1st to early 2nd talent and fell for different reasons. That doesn't always happen, you can't always find a Brady in the 6th)
    Posted by PatsEng[/QUOTE]

Trading back is largely a myth.  It has happenned but he trades up more than back.  Trading a 2nd this year for a first next year is a trade up.  If BB constantly traded away firsts for more seconds he would have less firsts than he's been given.

BB has been given by the NFL 10 first round picks in 12 years.  (None in 00-Kraft/BB trade or 08-Spygate)
    He has been given- 12 second rounders in 12 years.

He has picked- 12 first rounders (two more than he was given, one a top 10 pick), and 16 2nd rounders (4 more than he was given).

You cannot possibly trade away first and second round picks and end up with more than you started with.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

[QUOTE]Jay, I wasnt talking about integrating mediocre guys.  For that you could include Watson, Stallworth, Gaffney.  I mean making good players.  Collie I agree.  Tamme is the same as Watson, mediocre.  Anthony Gonzalez is a huge dissapointment.  First round pick who's best year was 664 yards, Gaffney has 4 better years.  Brady had to work with an entirely new WR corps in 07 and did it, Then again last year he puts in Gronk and Hern and they become top tier guys.  I'm not seeing anyone on the Colts that's been put in and performed at a Moss, Welker, Hern, Gronk level in the last 5 years other than maybe Garcon or Collie.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

I think good players are good players and atleast those players got on the field compared to guys like Price. Gonzalez had injurie issues and maybe wasnt a 1st rd talent but he did something. Watson was mediocre?  I guess we have different opinions about them thats all, I thought Watson was at the least servicable and wanst used right here. Since being in cleveland he has been good and is used in a way he is effective. All I saw Ben do here was seam routes and some out routes. Give em the ball on the run on drag routes and let him run over people.  After leaving here with only 29 catches in 09, he put up 68 catches in Cleveland with McCoy throwing it to him

So do you think he reached his potential with us? I guess some players do go on to better things after leaving here.

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from raptor64d. Show raptor64d's posts

Even Branch didn't leave this team and do anything. His career picked up after he..................oh yeah, came back to the Pats!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

His (watson) best year here he had 49 catches and this was with us forcing him the ball because we had no WR's that year in 05.

Dude catches 68 with a bad Qb? Watson was better than what people thought. Did he drop a few passes, yes, but everyone does.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Was waiving Price a mistake? 4 team claim him : Trading back is largely a myth.  It has happenned but he trades up more than back.  Trading a 2nd this year for a first next year is a trade up.  If BB constantly traded away firsts for more seconds he would have less firsts than he's been given. BB has been given by the NFL 10 first round picks in 12 years.  (None in 00-Kraft/BB trade or 08-Spygate) He has been given- 12 second rounders in 12 years. He has picked- 12 first rounders (two more than he was given, one a top 10 pick), and 16 2nd rounders (4 more than he was given). You cannot possibly trade away first and second round picks and end up with more than you started with.
    Posted by shenanigan[/QUOTE]

I think it depends on how you define trading up or back. To me trading into next year is trading back because it doesn't help your team this year. Yes you are getting a higher value round overall but it doesn't help this year. Which is why a 2nd this year has as much value as a first next year in trades. Typically a pick next year is valued a round lower this year.

When you look at it this way he trades back far more then moves up.

I guess the better way to put it is he gains more value with his picks then anyone else by multiplying his picks. But again To me it's not the amount of picks but the impact those picks present. I'd rather have half the picks if we can have a higher shot at impact players then just solid guys.

BTW King I agree BB is better then anyone else at UDFA's which makes you scratch your head that they can develop UDFA's but can't with higher talent players? I wonder why

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from KreepyKing. Show KreepyKing's posts

Meriweather, uncoachable, Butler, uncoachable, Tate, uncoachable, Lee Smith, uncoachable, Wilhite, uncoachable, McKenzie, Crable, Wheatley, uncoachable.  Who in the world is drafting all these uncoachable players?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from msteven. Show msteven's posts

I really dont think that the Patriots have done any worse in the recent drafts than any other team.  If you run down the list of first round picks from 2009 and 2010, how many are superstars?  How many are out of football?  The draft is a crapshoot.  not every player is going to make it.  Just becouse a player is drafted in the first or second round does not gaurantee anything.  I can remember last year at this time how everyone was saying how great the Colts drafts were and how they were so good at evaluating players.  How does that look now?  BB had kept that Patriots competitive for almost 10 straight years.  few teams can say that.Look at the big picture.  The patriots are winning.  they must be doing something right.  they have turned over most of their roster in the last two years and still are winning.  Talk about rebuilding on the fly!!!