Wasted draft picks in trades - wth is going on

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Re: Wasted draft picks in trades - wth is going on

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Wasted draft picks in trades - wth is going on:
    [QUOTE]I am getting seriously infuriated with all the draft picks we have wasted in trades.  The reason we keep trading down on draft day and accumulate lower round picks and picks for next year is that it is supposedly good value. And then we splash around these myriads of picks in speculative trades just because we have picks to waste or something.  WITHIN THE LAST 2 YEARS look at the picks we have wasted on speculative trades. Greg Lewis - WR - 5th rd pick from Eagles. Never played a snap. Alex Smith - WR - 5th rd pick from Buccaneers. Never played a snap.  Quinn Ojinnaka - OL - 5th or 6th rd pick from Falcons. Never played a snap. Michael Matthews - TE - 6th rd pick from Giants. Never played a snap. What's worse, we traded David Thomas to Saints for a 7th rd pick in the same deal and he was a star for them.  Dante Wesley - DB - 6th rd from Bears. Never played a snap. Perscott Burgess - LB - 6th rd pick from Raves. Never played a snap.  Derrick Burgess - DE/OLB - 3rd and 5th rd picks from Raiders. Limited contribution, underwhelming, and was last season on contract. Jarrad Page - S - 5th/6th rd pick from Chiefs. Nothing yet....... likely released soon. Tracy White - LB - 5th/6th rd pick from Eagles. Nothing yet...... likely released soon. Why do we keep throwing away so many draft picks, which we only accumulated in the first place by repeatedly trading down on draft day.  Can someone explain this to me. 
    Posted by murghkhor[/QUOTE]

Thank you for your excellent post. I was thinking the same thing myself.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

Picks have no value.  PEOPLE have value.  You can't "spend" a pick. You use it, to get a person.  We got people.  By getting people we thought were already productive, we tried to take out some risk.  how many 5th and 6th round picks don't make it?  LOTS.  Relax.  I am guessing the Quinn Ojinnaka deal was due to the o line situation, and since the gentlemen we played did fine, he wasn't needed.  Its ok, it happens.  Only players matter.  Why do we always trade down?  Because lower ranked PLAYERS come cheaper.  Watch when the new CBA is done and the rookie cap is in, how much we start to move UP or keep higher round picks. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

what is that old saying  "nothing ventured nothing gained"

wes welker and randy moss arrived here via trading draft picks

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Mighty ~ The pats are a great organization, maybe the best in all sports, but they are not perfect. lol

murghkhor ~ Wow, I hadn't heard of some of those guys. It is eye-opening, but I agree with harley, "nothing ventured nothing gained".

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rocky. Show Rocky's posts

Have any of those 5th or 6th round picks turn into anything of value?

What about the 3rd round pick?

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

99 percent of 5th and 6th round picks are a waste anyway. It's just as much of a gamble to hold them. If we had kept those picks your chart would have pretty much looked the same except the name of the picks next to the word released.

The Burgess trade however was a total flop and waste of picks. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Missing on a traded 5th or 6th round traded pick really doesn't bother me.  It's missing on first round picks that kill me, Maroney and Maryweather.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I like Merriweather.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

In Response to Re: Wasted draft picks in trades - wth is going on:
    [QUOTE]Missing on a traded 5th or 6th round traded pick really doesn't bother me.  It's missing on first round picks that kill me, Maroney and Maryweather.
    Posted by Tcal2[/QUOTE]

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mgraham. Show mgraham's posts

hear , hear

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots1a2. Show patriots1a2's posts

MURGHKHOR is 1000% right about the players we trade for(not moss or welker) when we give up 5th to 7th rounders. It seems like they never last or even play. I think Brady was taken in the 6th round. Why dont they just send out the people that are being paid by Mr Kraft and use those picks on players they can be familiar with...not rely on other peoples brains.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots1a2. Show patriots1a2's posts

[QUOTE]MURGHKHOR is 1000% right about the players we trade for(not moss or welker) when we give up 5th to 7th rounders. It seems like they never last or even play. I think Brady was taken in the 6th round. Why dont they just send out the people that are being paid by Mr Kraft and use those picks on players they can be familiar with...not rely on other peoples brains.
    Posted by patriots1a2[/QUOTE]

It would be nice to draft another BRADY in the 5th-7th rounders instead of trading for players we will release....WHY DO THEY DO THAT????

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tmot1234. Show tmot1234's posts

You could say that the Burgess pick was a flop and you'd probably be right. But, if you're going to talk about them wasting picks to acquire players, then you have to mention Randy Moss for a 4th round pick, which is probably the biggest steal in NFL history.......and Wes Welker for a 3rd round pick. I'd say those two worked out pretty well....

You have to take the good with the bad.....

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

The only awful amongst  bad trades here is the Burgess trade. He is no way shape or form worth a 3rd and 5th rounder. The Pats are never lacking an abundance of picks so I think its ok for them to gamble a little bit. I just wish they would stop gambling on other teams washouts. Go Pats!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from RahZid. Show RahZid's posts

Welker was a 2nd and a 7th.  Also, how was Meriwether a wasted pick?  He was a pro-bowler last season?

Interesting how the OP didn't mention the players taken by the Pats past the 5th round who have been cut, including multiple 7th rounders from this past draft.

I must admit, I was surprised to see Ojinnaka released after he had restructured his deal.  Also White has played this year, and I don't see him being released any time soon.  He didn't record any stats, but he's our 4th ILB on the depth chart (Mayo, Spikes, Guyton).

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ItsPat. Show ItsPat's posts

Look around the NFL and tell us how many 5th-7th round picks are on teams.  Like others have said, if you going to point out picks traded for players you have to mention the success the Pats have had trading picks, ie Moss and Welker! 

They are not throwing away these picks.  At the time they think there is a chance these players might help the team as role players.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.

By the way, do you know which round the third largest number of players in the NFL come from?  Actually it's not a round but undrafted free agents.  There are more undrafted free agents in the NFL then 3rd round picks.  That tells you quite a bit.  The draft is a crap shoot.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

[QUOTE]I am getting seriously infuriated with all the draft picks we have wasted in trades.  Posted by murghkhor[/QUOTE]

quit sniveling, we just picked up danny woodhead

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

Hey we're going to miss on picks and trades on occasion, it happens. The defense this team has on the field right now is young and talented, do to the fact that we traded down so many times so we could add so many good players. I don't know why anyone would question this philosophy, we are clearly headed to another super bowl:)

I'm just messing with all you koolaiders!! Clearly what has been going on the past 4 years has wasted valuable years of Brady's career.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Homecheese. Show Homecheese's posts

[QUOTE]I am getting seriously infuriated with all the draft picks we have wasted in trades.  The reason we keep trading down on draft day and accumulate lower round picks and picks for next year is that it is supposedly good value. And then we splash around these myriads of picks in speculative trades just because we have picks to waste or something.  WITHIN THE LAST 2 YEARS look at the picks we have wasted on speculative trades. Greg Lewis - WR - 5th rd pick from Eagles. Never played a snap. Alex Smith - WR - 5th rd pick from Buccaneers. Never played a snap.  Quinn Ojinnaka - OL - 5th or 6th rd pick from Falcons. Never played a snap. Michael Matthews - TE - 6th rd pick from Giants. Never played a snap. What's worse, we traded David Thomas to Saints for a 7th rd pick in the same deal and he was a star for them.  Dante Wesley - DB - 6th rd from Bears. Never played a snap. Perscott Burgess - LB - 6th rd pick from Raves. Never played a snap.  Derrick Burgess - DE/OLB - 3rd and 5th rd picks from Raiders. Limited contribution, underwhelming, and was last season on contract. Jarrad Page - S - 5th/6th rd pick from Chiefs. Nothing yet....... likely released soon. Tracy White - LB - 5th/6th rd pick from Eagles. Nothing yet...... likely released soon. Why do we keep throwing away so many draft picks, which we only accumulated in the first place by repeatedly trading down on draft day.  Can someone explain this to me. 

Tracy White has been doing great on special teams

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

[QUOTE]You could say that the Burgess pick was a flop and you'd probably be right. But, if you're going to talk about them wasting picks to acquire players, then you have to mention Randy Moss for a 4th round pick, which is probably the biggest steal in NFL history.......and Wes Welker for a 3rd round pick. I'd say those two worked out pretty well.... You have to take the good with the bad.....
    Posted by tmot1234[/QUOTE]

well...the pats has not won a sb since welker and moss joined the team. all the moves - constantly trading down, trading for welker and moss, picking someone entirely unexpected in the early rounds  - ultimately did not improve the team. or if they did, the other teams improved more with their own moves.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from thejoshuatree28. Show thejoshuatree28's posts

jarred page-Coming off injury was a starter in KC (so at least semi talented)
    Matthews and Prescott Burgess-- all were conditional and the conditions weren't met so no pick forfeited
    Tracy White-- Special teams contributor, I know people usually go to sleep during this section so i can see where they think he hasn't contributed. 
    David Thomas-- he didn't play at all for us, and i dont think he could really be considered a star for the saints, he is a solid player however.

Also these are all late round picks 5th round or later is kinda like whatever

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]what is that old saying  "nothing ventured nothing gained" wes welker and randy moss arrived here via trading draft picks
    Posted by harleyroadking[/QUOTE]

Nothing ventured, nothing gained?? What the hell are you talking about?? The Pats over the past few years have traded draft picks...in other words, a chance at getting a good player in the future...for a bunch of stiffs that they ended up cutting almost immediately after acquiring them. You can't see the lost opportunity there?? It's like giving away shots at winning the lottery. One such "lottery pick" netted Tom Brady, the 199th overall selection in the 2000 draft. 

What does Wes Welker and Randy Moss have to do with this discussion? Both were relatively young, very productive, established players when they were acquired via trade. But, who are these stiffs that the Patriots have wasted picks on? Why can't some of you simply admit that the Patriots have made some poor personnel decisions??    

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Asher77. Show Asher77's posts

you guys really have me scratching my head.

What is the point of this post, we draft so many players and in recent years that has been alot due to trading down. Only 53 guys can make this team each year, if you want to make a point tell us either one of the following:

1) Who would you have kept on this list instead of the guys we did have on the roster?

2) Who would you have picked with your valuable 5-7th round choice's? Please remember this is hindsight and be honest that at the time of the draft you might have known 1 name in any of these rounds.

Now run your stats and find me the percentage that one of your picks had a higher percentage to make it big than one of the guys we traded for, who we most likely had more tape and inside info on.

Oh and guys do develop sometimes after a few years in the league, not like one teams trash cant end up another teams treasure. Sure we can find a few examples if we must.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from newenglanderinexile. Show newenglanderinexile's posts

[QUOTE]Look around the NFL and tell us how many 5th-7th round picks are on teams.  Like others have said, if you going to point out picks traded for players you have to mention the success the Pats have had trading picks, ie Moss and Welker!  They are not throwing away these picks.  At the time they think there is a chance these players might help the team as role players.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. By the way, do you know which round the third largest number of players in the NFL come from?  Actually it's not a round but undrafted free agents.  There are more undrafted free agents in the NFL then 3rd round picks.  That tells you quite a bit.  The draft is a crap shoot.
    Posted by ItsPat[/QUOTE]

I can't agree that the draft is a crap shoot.  Many of the people who post here will tell you they could pick future pro bowlers across the board.  It's only the professionals who don't know what they are doing.