Wasted draft picks in trades - wth is going on

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfan1994. Show patsfan1994's posts

Re: Wasted draft picks in trades - wth is going on

I think the worst was the burgess only because one of the picks we gave up, the third round pick, was trade to the browns for wimbley who we could use and sure as hell would of been better than burgess

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking1. Show harleyroadking1's posts

In Response to Re: Wasted draft picks in trades - wth is going on:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wasted draft picks in trades - wth is going on :      Nothing ventured, nothing gained?? What the hell are you talking about?? The Pats over the past few years have traded draft picks...in other words, a chance at getting a good player in the future...for a bunch of stiffs that they ended up cutting almost immediately after acquiring them. You can't see the lost opportunity there?? It's like giving away shots at winning the lottery. One such "lottery pick" netted Tom Brady, the 199th overall selection in the 2000 draft.       What does Wes Welker and Randy Moss have to do with this discussion? Both were relatively young, very productive, established players when they were acquired via trade. But, who are these stiffs that the Patriots have wasted picks on? Why can't some of you simply admit that the Patriots have made some poor personnel decisions??    
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]
    RESPONSE;
    That is what I'm saying, nothing ventured nothing gained means you will take a chance and make some poor decisions and you will make some good ones. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

I think our vowel-deprived troll, mrghkhr, has half a point. 

When BB goes onto the free market looking for fill-in players, first everyone jacks up the price because BB has a good eye for talent.  Second, the used football player market is full of sharks pawning off defective merchandise.  Third, BB is buying out of desperation, never a good place.

When BB drafts, he picks because a guy is an opportunity that fell into his lap, or else some desperate NFC coach made him an opportunity deal at a great price, to trade down or out to next year.

I say half a point because the Patriots' roster is annually loaded to the scuppers with high-value draft picks, on a 53 man roster someone will certainly have to be cut, and what else (besides trading up for better third rounders) can BB do with these types of picks?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

Ahh yes, that is why the jets have been trading our 6th and 7th round picks to move up in the draft in the earlier rounds or to pick up some NFL proven players at the end of their rookie contracts(see Cro and Holmes).  IMO, the last valuable round is the 4th round.  after that it becomes more of a cragshoot.  If you look up your past draft history you should see consistency in those first 4 rounds of picks being on your roster.

BB has always done the opposite as far as I can remember.  When was the last time he traded up to get somebody?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from thehub. Show thehub's posts

When was the last time he traded up to get somebody?
    Posted by WeDerrWEDAT[/QUOTE]

Chad Jackson.......perhaps thats why he is gun shy. He sould have stayed put and drafted Jennings from GB.......

The JETS system is like the Redskins....no draft picks and high priced FA. Hows it been working for ya?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WeDerrWEDAT. Show WeDerrWEDAT's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wasted draft picks in trades - wth is going on : When was the last time he traded up to get somebody? Posted by WeDerrWEDAT[/QUOTE] Chad Jackson.......perhaps thats why he is gun shy. He sould have stayed put and drafted Jennings from GB....... The JETS system is like the Redskins....no draft picks and high priced FA. Hows it been working for ya?
    Posted by thehub[/QUOTE]

I like our chances bud.  who are our high priced FA?

Also, you dont seem as solid as you used to be on FA yourself which exposes your poor drafts as well...You could add Holt to this group.

"Baker joins a long list of failed 2009 acquisitions that put a dent into the Patriots' reputation for salvaging veterans.

They were successful with cornerback Leigh Bodden and outside linebacker Tully Banta-Cain, but they also misfired on receivers Joey Galloway and Greg Lewis and tight end Alex Smith. The jury's still out on running back Fred Taylor, who missed much of last season because of ankle surgery and will be back in 2010."

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

So what?  Big deal...I'd rather see Belichick take this approach - trade a late round pick on something of known commodity - rather than use those same picks on guys that have practice squad/waiver wire written next to their draft cards. 

So if I'm understanding the majority on this issue...You get pissed off when Belichick trades a late round pick on a proven guy who could provide immediate depth and veteran leadership, but you begin to salivate at the idea of trading down or completely out of the 1st round to add more 'value' picks later on in the draft or future drafts?   

What good is an extra 2nd round pick when you're drafting the likes of Darius Butler, Ron Brace, Terrence Wheatley, Chad Jackson, etc. in the 2nd round?  Why not use the extra picks you have to bring in proven talent, as was the case with Welker, Moss and Corey Dillon?  Why not use an extra pick to move up in the drat and get an impact player that you would have much more confidence in filling a need for you?     

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

[QUOTE]
    Posted by themightypatriotz[/QUOTE]

Come on Moron, is EVERYONe who even brings a statement to even question the Patriots a troll? You people are a joke!!!!

"Beep, beep!" Hey that's your french fry machine calling!-

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from jozee76. Show jozee76's posts

In Response to Wasted draft picks in trades - wth is going on:
    [QUOTE]I am getting seriously infuriated with all the draft picks we have wasted in trades.  The reason we keep trading down on draft day and accumulate lower round picks and picks for next year is that it is supposedly good value. And then we splash around these myriads of picks in speculative trades just because we have picks to waste or something.  WITHIN THE LAST 2 YEARS look at the picks we have wasted on speculative trades. Greg Lewis - WR - 5th rd pick from Eagles. Never played a snap. Alex Smith - WR - 5th rd pick from Buccaneers. Never played a snap.  Quinn Ojinnaka - OL - 5th or 6th rd pick from Falcons. Never played a snap. Michael Matthews - TE - 6th rd pick from Giants. Never played a snap. What's worse, we traded David Thomas to Saints for a 7th rd pick in the same deal and he was a star for them.  Dante Wesley - DB - 6th rd from Bears. Never played a snap. Perscott Burgess - LB - 6th rd pick from Raves. Never played a snap.  Derrick Burgess - DE/OLB - 3rd and 5th rd picks from Raiders. Limited contribution, underwhelming, and was last season on contract. Jarrad Page - S - 5th/6th rd pick from Chiefs. Nothing yet....... likely released soon. Tracy White - LB - 5th/6th rd pick from Eagles. Nothing yet...... likely released soon. Why do we keep throwing away so many draft picks, which we only accumulated in the first place by repeatedly trading down on draft day.  Can someone explain this to me. 
    Posted by murghkhor[/QUOTE]

Great post! We all need to question the personnel moves. Aside from this years draft, lately they really stink!

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jazzpelli. Show jazzpelli's posts

getting any type of solid player after the 5th round is like a $50 bill on the ground.  Its happens every now and then but to assume that you'll find a Brady in each draft, your kidding yourself.  Brady is considered to be the greatest steal of ALL TIME.  Now think about that for a second.

Its a gamble and they chose to gamble on players who had been in th league so the adjustment might be easier rather than an unproven rookie.  Only bad trade for the Burgess trade.  All the others where a toss of the dice just like picking in the later rounds.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from jazzpelli. Show jazzpelli's posts

[QUOTE]Why are you all missing the point of my post. What I am saying is why didn't we pick a player higher up in the draft instead of accumulating massive amounts of 5th - 7th rd picks by trading down. We have all these 5th - 7th rd picks because we keep trading down in the 1st-3rd rounds and gobble up massive amounts of these lower round picks. Belichick considers these lower round picks as useful currency to grab players that other teams might otherwise have released and we might not have managed to pick up on waivers. Instead trade a lower round pick and grab him. Problem is, none of these lower round pick trades have worked out. And all the trading down on draft days to create this value has come to naught.  We should have just taken a higher player on draft day instead of trading down. THAT'S MY POINT.
    Posted by murghkhor[/QUOTE]

I can think of a few instances where trading up didn't work out so well.  Chad Jackson, Bethel Johnson, Eugene Wilson.  All of these picks consisted of the Pats giving up picks to move up in a round.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw. Show Philskiw's posts

Jarrad Page - S started and got hurt. I think he's on IR so next year we'l have to judge him. 5-7th round picks are for punters, kickers, long snappers, special teamers and maybe some back up depth for the QB position. *Matt Cassel and such*

Why trade up and blow your whole cap on an unproven player? A lot of people whined when we passed on Sergio Kindle. Ron Brace has improved. I think he's better suited as an end then a nose tackle anyway.
    I bet if there's a rookie wage scale inplace then you'll see teams *yes maybe even us* trade up in the draft. I'll bet that the #1 overall will come into play now. The Pats have a big scouting department and I'm sure know a lot more about all these players then anyone of us here do.
    did you ever see anyone come to work at your place who seemed like a good candidate for the job but couldn't even do the simplest task?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from tartarus12. Show tartarus12's posts

[QUOTE] Jarrad Page - S started and got hurt. I think he's on IR so next year we'l have to judge him. 5-7th round picks are for punters, kickers, long snappers, special teamers and maybe some back up depth for the QB position. *Matt Cassel and such* Why trade up and blow your whole cap on an unproven player? A lot of people whined when we passed on Sergio Kindle. Ron Brace has improved. I think he's better suited as an end then a nose tackle anyway. I bet if there's a rookie wage scale inplace then you'll see teams *yes maybe even us* trade up in the draft. I'll bet that the #1 overall will come into play now. The Pats have a big scouting department and I'm sure know a lot more about all these players then anyone of us here do. did you ever see anyone come to work at your place who seemed like a good candidate for the job but couldn't even do the simplest task?
    Posted by Philskiw[/QUOTE]
    FYI, Jarrad Page is on the roster and has been active in every game. He plays on special teams.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from longhairjoe. Show longhairjoe's posts

You can just Imagine,
     Julius Peppers could have and should have been a Patriot.
    BB could have spent the money and brought in Julius Peppers
    and would have been money well spent.
    Peppers coming off the edge would be wreaking havoc like he is in
    Chicago. Peppers is the only reason why the Bears are 3-0.
    Peppers would have been McGinest and Seymour rolled into one.
    Plus he could have been a great veteran example for Cunningham.
    I only hope these Patriots can be about .500 leading into week 10.
    well, we will see how this team reacts in week 10 against the steelers?
    That will be the game that will make or break this team. Will things get better
    or go in the other direction? I think week 10 is the breaking point for this team
    if improvement is made, it has to be made at that point in the season or chalk it up to another rebuild season. I think this team can have some heartaches and be 4-4 before going into Pittsburgh and head into the right direction winning 8 straight to finish the regular season at 12-4. It's whether this team can mature in the next 6 weeks to get to the next level as a team? I don't expect any of these guys to be pro bowlers, but ony just to play to the best of their ability and play hard for 60 minutes, AND BE TOUGH.
    4 losses leading up to week 10 wouldn't be a bad thing if they got better as a team and make them tougher.
    "What can't kill you will only make you stronger"

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOT2REGRET. Show NOT2REGRET's posts

Not exactly sure what your talking about , I dont think you know hat your talking about. Moss has been our ONLY serious scoring threa in 3 years! Take him off the team and please explain how were keeping up w/ teams like the Colts , Balt , Pitt , SD , Minne , Mia etc all those teams have the ability to put up 30 on any sunday. We would have struggled against Cincy w/out Moss. Do you even watch the game? When Randy isnt out there we run almost 90% of the time and teams know it! Who on the current roster puts fear in teams hearts in terms of putting up 6? Teams dont game plan to keep WW out of the end zone. Gronky and A Hern owe Randy a TD , he cleared space and took defenders w/ him on each of their TDs the past 2 weeks. You think WW catches 130 f'in balls w/ no Moss? LMMFAO WW hasnt seen a number one DB in his life for more than 5 plays a game. Moss doesnt call the plays and Moss doesnt throw the ball to Moss. Brady has made some terrible decsions over the last 2 years. He missed Moss for at least 4 TDs at the begining of last season. And did the same a couple times this year. Moss was 15 feet away from the ball and almost out of bounds one. In another terrible post by Breer , Al ( who might be one of the worst reporters in the country ) pointed out or tried too anyway , that Moss did a poor job at fighting for the ball last year on a play in the end zone in Mia. Anyone who watched that game saw 12 force the ball again. Graet idea , get rid of maybe the best WR of all time. If you cant find a way to win w/ Moss than you shouldnt be doing this job. Hes one of the fastest , tallest , some of the best hands , smartest , athletic guys to ever play this game. And averages more TDs/yards than Rice. Theres something wrong w/ the team if you cant win w/ a guy like that.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

i agree with you mano...

having two guys who are hard to defend on the team is also the reason why the pats are easy to defend against. other teams know tb's progression on 60% of plays. depending on which down and how many yards, they know when moss is first option or welker is first option. the other is the second option. on critical downs, that % goes way up - the play becomes much more likely to be a short pass (faulk or welker). clamping down on those two may open up other receivers, but by the time tb starts looking for the third option the rushers are closing in or he starts getting impatient.

back in the sb years, other teams did not really figure out who the first pass option was. i still don't. branch? i don't think so. he just happened to open more often. troy brown? i doubt. graham? i doubt. i still don't...and that's despite me watching every game (an even pre-game).

and in those years, they were as likely to runt he ball on critical downs as they were to pass. made things tougher for the other team.

now? it's even worse given faulk is down. i don;t even get to watch them every game out here, yet you tell me the situation and i know who the target is and where he's likely to be. you can put a defender there. it becomes a question of how much of a hole the defender leaves and how well tb's pass threads the needle hole.

which makes me realize how much tb' accuracy has improved. he has become a much better passer than he was back then...not sure if he's now a better qb though

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from RahZid. Show RahZid's posts

Mano, how can you say Brady never lost his tunnel vision that he got from Moss, using the last 2 weeks as your criteria?  Last week Brady completed passes to 7 different receivers.  Moss only caught 2 passes.  I'll admit that he airs it out to Moss on deep routes a little more often than he should, but they have the weapons to still convert on 2nd and 3rd down.  If Brady were to get back to how he used to play, making high percentage passes and moving the chains, I think the offense could be great.  That being said, the bombs to Moss help open up everything underneath.