Watch the game again. Watch the plays with Ridley. There is no reason to remove him but for a breather.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

Watch the game again. Watch the plays with Ridley. There is no reason to remove him but for a breather.

he is explosive and can do it all. combine the other backs abilities and they dont meet what he gives you, possibly save vereen who may have more elusiveness, but riddley has plenty of that.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from SoLongHarryTruman. Show SoLongHarryTruman's posts

Re: Watch the game again. Watch the plays with Ridley. There is no reason to remove him but for a breather.

Law Firm is a fine runner, but he hits singles and occasional doubles. Defenses just aren't scared of him. Ridley, though... He hits the homers and defenses will have to game plan for him. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from brdbreu. Show brdbreu's posts

Re: Watch the game again. Watch the plays with Ridley. There is no reason to remove him but for a breather.

In Response to Re: Watch the game again. Watch the plays with Ridley. There is no reason to remove him but for a breather.:
    Law Firm is a fine runner, but he hits singles and occasional doubles. Defenses just aren't scared of him. Ridley, though... He hits the homers and defenses will have to game plan for him. 
    Posted by SoLongHarryTruman

exactly. and can anytime he touches the ball.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

I personally like having three backs running three paces, but a little less BJGE and a little more Ridley is a great idea.

The change of pace with fresh legs is what helps these guys acheive the yards they're getting.

Vareen is a smaller shiftier player with ball skills..., he would be security for Woodhead.

Vareen needs to show us something soon or he'll get lost on the depth chart

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

Looks like they have the personnel to feature a decent ground game if they commit to it.  I definitely agree that Ridley has shown that he deserves more touches, but BJGE looked pretty good yesterday, too.  It's been a while since the Pats have had a guy like Ridley.  He moves well for a big back, and at some point he'll see more passes thrown his way too. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2012. Show Evil2012's posts

In Response to Watch the game again. Watch the plays with Ridley. There is no reason to remove him but for a breather.:
    he is explosive and can do it all. combine the other backs abilities and they dont meet what he gives you, possibly save vereen who may have more elusiveness, but riddley has plenty of that.
    Posted by brdbreu

clueless

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from NEGAME2. Show NEGAME2's posts

I remember when Charlie called plays--if it worked, you keep doing it till it doesn't work. Should have kept Ridley running until the Raiders figured it out.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalPatsfan1970. Show LoyalPatsfan1970's posts

he'll break down if he's used too much, not a big guy, he's physical yes. but he never played every down even in college, he only had 9 starts i believe in his career.   love the guy but he's being used perfectly right now, he hasn't even reached his full body yet, he's still developing his NFL body weight in my opinion.  not on the juice like Maurice Jones Drew

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfaninswflorida. Show Patsfaninswflorida's posts

In Response to Re: Watch the game again. Watch the plays with Ridley. There is no reason to remove him but for a breather.:
    he'll break down if he's used too much, not a big guy, he's physical yes. but he never played every down even in college, he only had 9 starts i believe in his career.   love the guy but he's being used perfectly right now, he hasn't even reached his full body yet, he's still developing his NFL body weight in my opinion.  not on the juice like Maurice Jones Drew ! 
    Posted by LoyalPatsfan1970

Ridley is 5'11" 225 lbs...      not a big guy?  ....   he's 15 lbs heavier than Darren Mcfadden.... 

... oh and by the way Ridley had a better day than Mcfadden had yesterday.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

People told me to calm down in preseason and now we see folks clamoring for this guy to be Marshall Faulk. The guy clealry is REALLY gifted, but keep in mind, he was used in spurts at LSU. I don't think it's a good idea to ignore a proven, very good veteran in BJGE just because you want more eye popping plays from RIdley. I really, really like the way they used them yesterday. Establish BJGE, keep feeding him. Then, start using Ridley in the same fashion. Keep bleeding him in. I liked how they changed it with Woodhead, too. Instead of subbing constantly, use the same kinds of backs with the same kinds of skills sets on ONE drive at a time. Don't sub just to sub. That part I agree with. People say we can't run and it's the biggest myth about this time alongside "no talent on D".  Baloney. BJGE/Ridley (lead backs - running, blocking, catching) Woodhead/Vereen (change of pace backs - running, blocking, catching) Defenses will simply never know if it's a pass or run as long as Brady is not in the shotgun. This means Brady is BETTER than Shotgun Brady, even with less stats. This debate is now officially OVER, but I also think threads like these prove how underrated BJEG is. Two runs I want to point it: 1. The leaping run to the weak side. It was for 3 yards, but by simply leaping, he went from 0 to 3 yards.  Underrated. 2. On a sweep to the weakside, he was going nowhere, he waited, lined up a seam, and then plowed ahead for like 4 yards.  Another no gain play for someting. These are examples of chain moving and clock crunching runs that are so invaluable. I agree Ridley is more gifted, but it's a marathon, not a sprint.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

Russ...
    Good points. I also remember Brady lining up in the shotgun yesterday with the direct snap to Ridley for a very nice gain. I think this mess of the shotgun/spread is overrated. Yes, Brady is good under center, but he is effective as well in the shotgun/spread, and we can run or pass in either effectively.
    What we saw as well yesterday was good execution by the Oline in the run game. Ridley said it himself..."Those were the biggest holes I've seen in my life..."
    So, yes, we commited to the run and used BJGE and Ridley very effectively, the Oline played very well, and everyone executed (from a run standpoint) very well.

12. This post has been removed.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from LoyalPatsfan1970. Show LoyalPatsfan1970's posts

Posted by SoLongHarryTruman

that's why they are both effective, most teams employ multi back sets,  the team we just faced used to have Fargus and McFadden last year   bills had Jackson and Lynch/Spiller,  Dolphins Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown, Jets had Shonn Green and thomas Jones or LT.  Chargers had LT and Sproles.  good to have a smaller homerun threat as well as a move the chains north south runner like Benjarvus.   didn't hear anyone complaining when Bennie ran it in from 25 yards out to score vs the Chargers 2 games ago to cover the spread!

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

There's a very good reason to remove Ridley from the game, that I can't believe no one picked up on here.  He's a rookie still developing arguably the most important aspect of the position, picking up blitzers on pass plays.  Ridley saw more PT yesterday because Woodhead went down (Any update on his injury?).  I'd expect to see more of Ridley in the future, but he needs to improve his blitz pickup if he's going to become a 20 touch RB.

The kid sure looked great yesterday though.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

People told me to calm down in preseason and now we see folks clamoring for this guy to be Marshall Faulk. The guy clealry is REALLY gifted, but keep in mind, he was used in spurts at LSU. I don't think it's a good idea to ignore a proven, very good veteran in BJGE just because you want more eye popping plays from RIdley. I really, really like the way they used them yesterday. Establish BJGE, keep feeding him. Then, start using Ridley in the same fashion. Keep bleeding him in. I liked how they changed it with Woodhead, too. Instead of subbing constantly, use the same kinds of backs with the same kinds of skills sets on ONE drive at a time. Don't sub just to sub. That part I agree with. People say we can't run and it's the biggest myth about this time alongside "no talent on D".  Baloney. BJGE/Ridley (lead backs - running, blocking, catching) Woodhead/Vereen (change of pace backs - running, blocking, catching) Defenses will simply never know if it's a pass or run as long as Brady is not in the shotgun. This means Brady is BETTER than Shotgun Brady, even with less stats. This debate is now officially OVER, but I also think threads like these prove how underrated BJEG is. Two runs I want to point it: 1. The leaping run to the weak side. It was for 3 yards, but by simply leaping, he went from 0 to 3 yards.  Underrated. 2. On a sweep to the weakside, he was going nowhere, he waited, lined up a seam, and then plowed ahead for like 4 yards.  Another no gain play for someting. These are examples of chain moving and clock crunching runs that are so invaluable. I agree Ridley is more gifted, but it's a marathon, not a sprint.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

Pefect analysis of how that PATS are doing it in the running game this year.  This is exactly my thinking, I could not have said it any better. 

Not sure what the BGJE hate is all about from others posting here, it just seems that they don't see this guy's contributions, game in and game out. The man is tough and what an attitude he brings to the game.  I love it. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from tagandtrade. Show tagandtrade's posts

he'll break down if he's used too much, not a big guy, he's physical yes. but he never played every down even in college, he only had 9 starts i believe in his career.   love the guy but he's being used perfectly right now, he hasn't even reached his full body yet, he's still developing his NFL body weight in my opinion.  not on the juice like Maurice Jones Drew ! 
    Posted by LoyalPatsfan1970

Ridley is the heaviest back we have!
    he is 5-10 and weighs 225 - 230 Look it up.

BJGE is 5-11 215 pounds

where do some of you all get your information

18. This post has been removed.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from kjfitone. Show kjfitone's posts

i like the way that they used ridley yesterday, mixing him in with bjge. the two backs complement each other nicely. its tempting to run ridley more but they will probably continue to slowly work him in.  

the running game is much better than most outsiders think it is and it makes brady and the passing game even better when using that balance. 

the drives ate up more clock, giving the defense more rest. overall a good offensive game plan i thought.  

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from lightningbrain. Show lightningbrain's posts

Benny is the best RB on the team.  No contest, at least not yet.  Big Plays?  How about watching what each of these RBs contribute when they are in and it's not a running play.  I like the one where Welker catches it for 5 yards and there is a defender near, about to close on him, but Benny completely levels the guy and Welker goes for about 35 (Branch helps with a nice block late in the play.)  Is that a big enough play for you?  Benny is the best for pass protection, for blocking down field, for finishing a run with a damaging blow to the opponents, at getting 4 yards when there is nothing there, at carrying players who try to tackle him, at leaping over players who try to tackle him . . . at NEVER fumbling . . . 
    Ridley had a couple of nice runs.  I'm excited b/c I think Benny and Ridley is an improvement over Benny and Woodhead.  Still, the lack of appreciation for Benny on this sight is, again, appalling.  In fact, I think Benny is one of the best RBs in the league!  He's completely underrated b/c of the emphasis on stats - on the wrong stats.  When's the last time he fumbled?  Let's see Ridley carry the ball as a number one back for more than a full season without fumbling, like Benny has, instead of annointing him b/c he came in and ran for 95 yards subbing in with Benny.  I mean, come on, one of his best runs was the direct snap!  We faked the Raiders out! 

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from ctredsoxfanhugh. Show ctredsoxfanhugh's posts

In far less attempts Ridley is 3rd among rookie backs in rushing yards, and is absolutely blowing daniel thomas and mark ingraham out of the water in average yards per carry.  

I know it's a small sample size, and I know it's only 4 games into the season but as of right now Ridley has only 36 yards less than Mark Ingram in 35 less attempts.

I agree that we shouldn't just throw away BJGE and make Ridley the #1 guy but he has earned his spot, and if that means an extra try or two a game then so be it.

I remember how upset some where that we didn't draft Ingram.......but how funny (and amazingly great) would it be if Ridley ends up being a better back, drafted in the 3rd round and we still got an extra 2nd round pick and 1 round (2012) with the pick used to draft Ingram. 

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I think they are taking the right approach with Ridley.  He's seeing more and more playing time.  I also think BJGE has been a good back for us.  I agree that he probably lack the "HR" factor.  He's still done a great job for us.  Waaaaaaaay better than Maroney.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Ridley needs to start next week period. The BJGE experiment is over.

next up Vareen

Sections
Shortcuts