Watch the game again. Watch the plays with Ridley. There is no reason to remove him but for a breather.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from gman101019. Show gman101019's posts

Re: Watch the game again. Watch the plays with Ridley. There is no reason to remove him but for a breather.

Ridley did look great , he has an extra gear thats bjge just doesnt have, but I dont understand why it has to be ridley or nothing, I think we have 2 good backs (3 if woodhead can stop taking so many uneccesary hits) I like ridley and bjge for 20-25 carries split. Thunder and lightning benny wears them out and ridley takes advantage of those tired defenders by going thru arm tackles and getting to the 2nd level. Keep both backs fresh by rotating them just lke yesterday. Also props to the o line and gronk with some good holes to run thru.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: Watch the game again. Watch the plays with Ridley. There is no reason to remove him but for a breather.

In Response to Re: Watch the game again. Watch the plays with Ridley. There is no reason to remove him but for a breather.:
    In Response to Watch the game again. Watch the plays with Ridley. There is no reason to remove him but for a breather. : clueless
    Posted by Evil2012

interesting, was thining near the same thing reading some of your posts, though with a much less critical tone. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Watch the game again. Watch the plays with Ridley. There is no reason to remove him but for a breather.:
    I remember when Charlie called plays--if it worked, you keep doing it till it doesn't work. Should have kept Ridley running until the Raiders figured it out.
    Posted by NEGAME2

great minds think alike.
    ok i'm being funny. 
    but i feel similarly

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

People told me to calm down in preseason and now we see folks clamoring for this guy to be Marshall Faulk. The guy clealry is REALLY gifted, but keep in mind, he was used in spurts at LSU. I don't think it's a good idea to ignore a proven, very good veteran in BJGE just because you want more eye popping plays from RIdley. I really, really like the way they used them yesterday. Establish BJGE, keep feeding him. Then, start using Ridley in the same fashion. Keep bleeding him in. I liked how they changed it with Woodhead, too. Instead of subbing constantly, use the same kinds of backs with the same kinds of skills sets on ONE drive at a time. Don't sub just to sub. That part I agree with. People say we can't run and it's the biggest myth about this time alongside "no talent on D".  Baloney. BJGE/Ridley (lead backs - running, blocking, catching) Woodhead/Vereen (change of pace backs - running, blocking, catching) Defenses will simply never know if it's a pass or run as long as Brady is not in the shotgun. This means Brady is BETTER than Shotgun Brady, even with less stats. This debate is now officially OVER, but I also think threads like these prove how underrated BJEG is. Two runs I want to point it: 1. The leaping run to the weak side. It was for 3 yards, but by simply leaping, he went from 0 to 3 yards.  Underrated. 2. On a sweep to the weakside, he was going nowhere, he waited, lined up a seam, and then plowed ahead for like 4 yards.  Another no gain play for someting. These are examples of chain moving and clock crunching runs that are so invaluable. I agree Ridley is more gifted, but it's a marathon, not a sprint.
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

i agree bjge made good plays on teh 2 yo mentiuoned and that he does pretty decent.
    i disagree with you in that if he is in there teams can focus on the pass, becasue he is not a threat to break one. they dont fear him.

with ridley in, they have to gamble. leaving more room for whichever way they do not guess. 

all for now.

peace

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Ridley did look great , he has an extra gear thats bjge just doesnt have, but I dont understand why it has to be ridley or nothing, I think we have 2 good backs (3 if woodhead can stop taking so many uneccesary hits) I like ridley and bjge for 20-25 carries split. Thunder and lightning benny wears them out and ridley takes advantage of those tired defenders by going thru arm tackles and getting to the 2nd level. Keep both backs fresh by rotating them just lke yesterday. Also props to the o line and gronk with some good holes to run thru.
    Posted by gman101019

good points on o line and gronk. yes rotate is ok, but with all purpose back, better to have him in there more (and mostly). with exception if vereen proves spectacular at something (more than woody), then i'd give most runs to the 2 of them. not saying you sit the other 2 completely

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Ridley carries his weight very well. He reminds me of a bigger Charlie Garner. He's Fred Jackson, which is a very good thing. He looks smaller than he is. He has big legs, with a low center of gravity. He needs to learn a bit with time when going through the line and getting a feel for the collapsing of a same, so he can ball up and take a hit. BJGE does this so well, it's probably we he's never fumbled.

what ive seen so far he doesnt like to go downn. rolando and 2 other raiders tried to tackle him on a run. he refused to go down. the refs had to blow the whistle

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In Response to Re: Watch the game again. Watch the plays with Ridley. There is no reason to remove him but for a breather. : good points on o line and gronk. yes rotate is ok, but with all purpose back, better to have him in there more (and mostly). with exception if vereen proves spectacular at something (more than woody), then i'd give most runs to the 2 of them. not saying you sit the other 2 completely
    Posted by bredbru

Chris Forsberg did a good piece on his TD run Sunday.  Very detailed.  One thing he did point out is that all his runs to the middle and left were ineffective. Not sure if its a reflection of him or the line but none the less ALL the coaches that were asked about him last week, said "he still had a LOT to learn".  Perhaps that's why.  If he can only run to the right, the opposing teams will kill him.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Watch the game again. Watch the plays with Ridley. There is no reason to remove him but for a breather. : I agree. Many Pats fans underrated a lot of players on this team. They want flash and stats and ignore quality play and contributions. I thought Arrington, Molden, McCourty and Spikes had very nice games yesterday, for example. No one wants to talk about that, though. They just want to focus on Campbell's 60 QB rating until the last drive where our offense didn't kill the clock again and we played a prevent to run it down.

a few here are being balck and white in thinking. for those that accuse, i heard no on esay benny was bad. infact, while trumpeting ridley asd the #1 back, i have frequebntly stated bjge's attributes. saimilarly i dont knwo anyone who said dont play him at all.

and riding,
     when you say no one wants to talk about players on the defense who played well. why do you feel the need to say that. i have not posted all i will say when i have the tiem, but i already posted last night about several players including mccourty.

insinuations that others, maybe including me, are only interested in flash is inaccurate and unnecessary and only creates and supports an "us - them" between yourself and others. i dont think you really need that to feel good.
    we can talk to each other instead of at each other.

peace

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Watch the game again. Watch the plays with Ridley. There is no reason to remove him but for a breather. : Chris Forsberg did a good piece on his TD run Sunday.  Very detailed.  One thing he did point out is that all his runs to the middle and left were ineffective. Not sure if its a reflection of him or the line but none the less ALL the coaches that were asked about him last week, said "he still had a LOT to learn".  Perhaps that's why.  If he can only run to the right, the opposing teams will kill him.
    Posted by pezz4pats

i posted elsewhere, they said that because they will always say that about any player, but especially non -vets. they fell it keeps them humble and always improving.

ridley does no thave a problem running to the left imo

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In Response to Re: Watch the game again. Watch the plays with Ridley. There is no reason to remove him but for a breather. : i posted elsewhere, they said that because they will always say that about any player, but especially non -vets. they fell it keeps them humble and always improving. ridley does no thave a problem running to the left imo
    Posted by bredbru

4 runs to the middle and left, all for no gain.  Although the samples are small, that does appear to be a little problem.  We shall see. 
    The Pats are excellent in putting players in a position to succeed.  If he were ready to start, he would be.  BB has no problem in playing talent over tenure.
    That alone, tells me he is not ready, regardless of your "sugar coated" interpretation of what they said.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

my headline was a little overstated. i actually feels just that ridley should get the bulk of the carries instead of bjge

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Macrawn. Show Macrawn's posts

Law Firm is a fine runner, but he hits singles and occasional doubles. Defenses just aren't scared of him. Ridley, though... He hits the homers and defenses will have to game plan for him. 
    Posted by SoLongHarryTruman

I think you said it all. BJGE hits singles and sometimes doubles. Defenses don't worry that much about him. Ridley has the ability to make game breaking plays and will demand more respect from defenses. That will lead to guys getting more open. Also Rid can catch the ball adding yet another dimension. The guy deserves the start. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In Response to Re: Watch the game again. Watch the plays with Ridley. There is no reason to remove him but for a breather. : 4 runs to the middle and left, all for no gain.  Although the samples are small, that does appear to be a little problem.  We shall see.  The Pats are excellent in putting players in a position to succeed.  If he were ready to start, he would be.  BB has no problem in playing talent over tenure. That alone, tells me he is not ready, regardless of your "sugar coated" interpretation of what they said.
    Posted by pezz4pats

I think that is the point. NE requires its runners to do a lot of different things. They all need to block to see the field, simply because of the amount of time they like to throw it. They all need to be either a great runner or a great 3rd down back/reciever type. And they need to know that through the playbook end to end. 

Ridley is the kind of back like Dillon who can is a runner and a blocker, he can execute those two phases. Whether he knows the entire playbook is different. 

BJGE will get his reps, but down the road I could see Ridley taking 20 carries a game. He just has superior athletic ability. 

I don't think they start Ridley too soon. For one, it would be an insult to BJGE, who is still a servicable back who does all the little things. For two, they likely want Stevan to get more experience. 

I can think of one area, right now, where I would vastly prefer BJGE or Woodhead, and that is the two minute drill/hurry up. Do you want a rookie protecting Brady's knees when the plays are getting called at the line of scrimmage and he can't refer to anyone? 

If a kid makes a mistake there, it could be the end of NE's season, lol! 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In far less attempts Ridley is 3rd among rookie backs in rushing yards, and is absolutely blowing daniel thomas and mark ingraham out of the water in average yards per carry.   I know it's a small sample size, and I know it's only 4 games into the season but as of right now Ridley has only 36 yards less than Mark Ingram in 35 less attempts. I agree that we shouldn't just throw away BJGE and make Ridley the #1 guy but he has earned his spot, and if that means an extra try or two a game then so be it. I remember how upset some where that we didn't draft Ingram.......but how funny (and amazingly great) would it be if Ridley ends up being a better back, drafted in the 3rd round and we still got an extra 2nd round pick and 1 round (2012) with the pick used to draft Ingram. 
    Posted by ctredsoxfanhugh

Ingram was an overrated player coming out. 

I also noted the poetry of the fact that Ridley, in 18 attempts, has matched BJGE's career long rush. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from tcal2-. Show tcal2-'s posts

He's a potential 1600 yard rusher.  He's a great find and it would be foolish not to give him 15-20 touches a game.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

i like bjge to have more touches than ridley in Q1 and in Q3. let him pound down the middle til d is tender.

give ridley more touches in Q2 and Q4, when the d is tired and vulnerable.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

He's a potential 1600 yard rusher.  He's a great find and it would be foolish not to give him 15-20 touches a game.
    Posted by tcal2-

Exactly. I have never felt that way about BJGE. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

you guys ever stopped to imagine what the running game could do if cannon earned the start at rg?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

btw...would this be a good time to ask if the pats can now get rid of the empty backfield sets?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to Re: Watch the game again. Watch the plays with Ridley. There is no reason to remove him but for a breather. : I think that is the point. NE requires its runners to do a lot of different things. They all need to block to see the field, simply because of the amount of time they like to throw it. They all need to be either a great runner or a great 3rd down back/reciever type. And they need to know that through the playbook end to end.  Ridley is the kind of back like Dillon who can is a runner and a blocker, he can execute those two phases. Whether he knows the entire playbook is different.  BJGE will get his reps, but down the road I could see Ridley taking 20 carries a game. He just has superior athletic ability.  I don't think they start Ridley too soon. For one, it would be an insult to BJGE, who is still a servicable back who does all the little things. For two, they likely want Stevan to get more experience.  I can think of one area, right now, where I would vastly prefer BJGE or Woodhead, and that is the two minute drill/hurry up. Do you want a rookie protecting Brady's knees when the plays are getting called at the line of scrimmage and he can't refer to anyone?  If a kid makes a mistake there, it could be the end of NE's season, lol! 
    Posted by zbellino

you have a point. of course i want ridley to learn the blocking first i have said that in my initial posts.

and regarding not to disrespect bjge, i'm afraid that and to show younger guys what they expect in player behavior may be the reason he stays the #1 back longer than he otherwise might ( i too have conjured that z).

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Posted by tcal2-

hey tcal,
    same page, great minds thing...

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

btw...would this be a good time to ask if the pats can now get rid of the empty backfield sets?
    Posted by seattlepat70

dont think they will seattle,
     but i wouldnt mind obviously :)

Sections
Shortcuts