Watching the Pats-Giants Coaches Film

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Watching the Pats-Giants Coaches Film

I shelled out the $260 (Canadian) for NFL Game Pass and have been having some fun looking at the coaches film from last year.  Was just looking at the start of the regular season Pats-Giants game.  Two things jumped out right away that I thought were interesting:

1.  The Giants start the game with a play-action pass, with eight men staying home at the LOS and only two receivers out in patterns.  The play works as the Pats' D bites wholesale on the fake and Eli completes a pass for 14 yards.  This play reminded me just a bit of the Pats opening play in the Super Bowl . . . same basic concept, but it works for the Giants.  They run two play-actions in a row to start the game, then start running.  The first couple of runs work as the Pats seem to be worried about the pass, but eventually our D settles in and stops the drive. 

2. The Pats get the ball on their first drive on their own five yard line--almost exactly where they got it in the Super Bowl.  More interesting, they come out in pretty much the exact same formation and personnel as they did on the safety play in the Super Bowl (including Solder reporting as eligible).  On this play, though, there's no play action--it's a straight up run and BJGE gets 18 yards.  Watching this, it seems very likely that the Pats in the Super Bowl were hoping that the Giants would be fooled into thinking the Pats were repeating the exact same successful run they pulled off in week 9 in the exact same situation. The Giants, though, called their bluff and seemed to be expecting pass. Interesting, though, to realize that the chess match was a lot more sophisticated than the casual observer would ever suspect . . . 

The coaches film, by the way, is pretty cool to watch . . . 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: Watching the Pats-Giants Coaches Film

In Response to Watching the Pats-Giants Coaches Film:
    I shelled out the $260 (Canadian) for NFL Game Pass and have been having some fun looking at the coaches film from last year.  Was just looking at the start of the regular season Pats-Giants game.  Two things jumped out right away that I thought were interesting: 1.  The Giants start the game with a play-action pass, with eight men staying home at the LOS and only two receivers out in patterns.  The play works as the Pats' D bites wholesale on the fake and Eli completes a pass for 14 yards.  This play reminded me just a bit of the Pats opening play in the Super Bowl . . . same basic concept, but it works for the Giants.  They run two play-actions in a row to start the game, then start running.  The first couple of runs work as the Pats seem to be worried about the pass, but eventually our D settles in and stops the drive.  2. The Pats get the ball on their first drive on their own five yard line--almost exactly where they got it in the Super Bowl.  More interesting, they come out in pretty much the exact same formation and personnel as they did on the safety play in the Super Bowl (including Solder reporting as eligible).  On this play, though, there's no play action--it's a straight up run and BJGE gets 18 yards.  Watching this, it seems very likely that the Pats in the Super Bowl were hoping that the Giants would be fooled into thinking the Pats were repeating the exact same successful run they pulled off in week 9 in the exact same situation. The Giants, though, called their bluff and seemed to be expecting pass. Interesting, though, to realize that the chess match was a lot more sophisticated than the casual observer would ever suspect . . .  The coaches film, by the way, is pretty cool to watch . . .   
    Posted by prolate0spheroid

Pro, are you baiting me into an argument? Surprised

Just kidding. Just kidding!

I have a few thoughts tell me if you agree.

1: I can't believe BJGE had an 18 yard carry against the 29th ranked Gints run defense(being sarcastic) I read on BDC.com that BJGE gets stuffed every time he touches the ball...perhaps he should have been given a few more chances in the big game?

2: Maybe OB should not have outsmarted himself and did what 99% of OC's would do in that situation which is to take the safe play on the 1st play of the SB and run the ball.....may have even ended up with an 18 yard gain...

3: The Gints PA wasn't realy the same as ours as at all since it began at the 20 yard line and not the 5. Also they sent out 2 rec options and not 4 or 5(meaning more protection), and since the gints got Bradshaw back they had actually used the run to balance out their offense....which is not what we did. Meaning they could sell the PA, we couldn't because the run game was an after thought for most of the year for us.

Take away the Jets and Raiders game and I think our lead back had like 120 carries in 14 games....which is about 8.5 carries a game!! Doesn't help to sell the play action I am guessing...

That's all.

Anyway, with Game Pass can you watch the coaches film from every game? What else does it cover as 260 bucks is more then the NFL ticket costs now a days.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from jpBsSoxFan. Show jpBsSoxFan's posts

If the Pats could only beat the Giants we would have 5 titles rather than 3. One very lucky catch by the Giants in each Super Bowl was the difference IMO. That damn David Tyree & Mario Manningham !! Lol  Are you talking about the final pre-season game vs the Giants from last year ? By the way, I sent you a private message.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Watching the Pats-Giants Coaches Film:
    In Response to Watching the Pats-Giants Coaches Film : Pro, are you baiting me into an argument? Just kidding. Just kidding! I have a few thoughts tell me if you agree. 1: I can't believe BJGE had an 18 yard carry against the 29th ranked Gints run defense(being sarcastic) I read on BDC.com that BJGE gets stuffed every time he touches the ball...perhaps he should have been given a few more chances in the big game? 2: Maybe OB should not have outsmarted himself and did what 99% of OC's would do in that situation which is to take the safe play on the 1st play of the SB and run the ball.....may have even ended up with an 18 yard gain... 3: The Gints PA wasn't realy the same as ours as at all since it began at the 20 yard line and not the 5. Also they sent out 2 rec options and not 4 or 5(meaning more protection), and since the gints got Bradshaw back they had actually used the run to balance out their offense....which is not what we did. Meaning they could sell the PA, we couldn't because the run game was an after thought for most of the year for us. Take away the Jets and Raiders game and I think our lead back had like 120 carries in 14 games....which is about 8.5 carries a game!! Doesn't help to sell the play action I am guessing... That's all. Anyway, with Game Pass can you watch the coaches film from every game? What else does it cover as 260 bucks is more then the NFL ticket costs now a days.
    Posted by TrueChamp

No . . . I'm not even going to get into it.  I just think it's very interesting and haven't heard anyone at all point out that the Pats opened the two games in almost the exact same field position and came out with the (nearly) exact same formation both times.  

See screen shots of the two opening Pats' plays below. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

1. Unfortunately for us our 7 on 4 blocking broke down in 3 seconds with a stunt on Vollmer.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Looks like the Giants had an extra guy up on the LOS in week 9? We were in max protect in both games... 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

If the Pats could only beat the Giants we would have 5 titles rather than 3. One very lucky catch by the Giants in each Super Bowl was the difference IMO. That damn David Tyree & Mario Manningham !! Lol  Are you talking about the final pre-season game vs the Giants from last year ? By the way, I sent you a private message.
    Posted by jpBsSoxFan

Just posted a reply on my own page.  

The game I was talking about was the week 9 regular season game . . . 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

One thing is obvious from those screenshots...

The Pats paint their own emblem WAY better than whoever does it for the Super Bowl.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Looks like the Giants had an extra guy up on the LOS in week 9? We were in max protect in both games... 
    Posted by TrueChamp

Yeah, I assume that's the safety in the box in week 9.  Safety's back in Super Bowl.  But basic defensive set is pretty similar too. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

In Response to Watching the Pats-Giants Coaches Film : ... 3: The Gints PA wasn't realy the same as ours as at all since it began at the 20 yard line and not the 5. Also they sent out 2 rec options and not 4 or 5(meaning more protection), and since the gints got Bradshaw back they had actually used the run to balance out their offense....which is not what we did. Meaning they could sell the PA, we couldn't because the run game was an after thought for most of the year for us...

Posted by TrueChamp

Running the ball may have been an afterthought for the Pats, but then what would you call it for a team like the Giants that ran less and considerably less effectively? The Pats rushed 438 times for 1,764 yards (4.0 per carry), good for 20th in the NFL. NYG rushed 411 times for 1,427 yards (3.5 per carry), dead last in the NFL. Not sure why teams would respect their play action and not New England's?  

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In Response to Re: Watching the Pats-Giants Coaches Film : Running the ball may have been an afterthought for the Pats, but then what would you call it for a team like the Giants that ran less and considerably less effectively? The Pats rushed 438 times for 1,764 yards (4.0 per carry), good for 20th in the NFL. NYG rushed 411 times for 1,427 yards (3.5 per carry), dead last in the NFL. Not sure why teams would respect their play action and not New England's?  
    Posted by Muzwell

I don't want to get back into the ongoing p!ssng match with True Champ and the other critics of the Pats' playcalling, but I'll just add that they in fact did run the ball in pretty much the exact same situation from nearly the same formation in week 9.  This was a major reason why I started this thread, because I think it helps explain the call at the beginning of the Super Bowl.  They clearly were hoping the Giants would think run, since the Giants had seen a run in almost the exact same situation in week 9.  

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

In Response to Re: Watching the Pats-Giants Coaches Film : I don't want to get back into the ongoing p!ssng match with True Champ and the other critics of the Pats' playcalling, but I'll just add that they in fact did run the ball in pretty much the exact same situation from nearly the same formation in week 9.  This was a major reason why I started this thread, because I think it helps explain the call at the beginning of the Super Bowl.  They clearly were hoping the Giants would think run, since the Giants had seen a run in almost the exact same situation in week 9.  

I think that you are right, I didn't realize that the two games started out the exact same way, interesting. It's a chess match out there, the Patriots probably did think that they could have them bite on PA and start out with a big play. 

Good stuff.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

In Response to Re: Watching the Pats-Giants Coaches Film : Running the ball may have been an afterthought for the Pats, but then what would you call it for a team like the Giants that ran less and considerably less effectively? The Pats rushed 438 times for 1,764 yards (4.0 per carry), good for 20th in the NFL. NYG rushed 411 times for 1,427 yards (3.5 per carry), dead last in the NFL. Not sure why teams would respect their play action and not New England's?  
    Posted by Muzwell

Because under Tom Coughlin the Giants have usually been one of the best running teams in the league:

2007-4th in the league
    2008-1st in the league
    2010- 6th in the league.

Bradhshaw and Jacobs both played injured and their production and attempts were way down, then the post season hits and Bradshaw started hitting 4.5 ypc again. They were running the ball more effectively, plus their att's increased.

Anyway my point wasn't that teams wouldn't respect the PA, it was that the play call was poor. PA on your own 5 yard line against the best pass rush in football on the 1st play of the game was a poor adjustment to the situation of being pinned.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

"Running the ball may have been an afterthought for the Pats, but then what would you call it for a team like the Giants that ran less and considerably less effectively? The Pats rushed 438 times for 1,764 yards (4.0 per carry), good for 20th in the NFL. NYG rushed 411 times for 1,427 yards (3.5 per carry), dead last in the NFL. Not sure why teams would respect their play action and not New England's?"  ~muzwell

Not that it matters much on this forum, IF you trully would like what constitutes an "accurate" answer to your querry, I'll provide you with 1:

NE's Week 9 O-look against NY vs. NE's SB O-Look against NY, as it relates to How The Giants D squared-up pre-snap in both, is extremely similiar upon 1st glance.  But in actuality, NE's O-Look during this past SB is- and will prove to be, A close parrallel of the former, yet one that offers a completely different play-package based on Josh McD's designs and intents...and intents for this year's O.

NE will NOT be "cutting ALL their fullbacks."  Yup, they're injured (nearly every one I believe), yet they are, will be, and WERE in preseason game #1, the precise thing that I stated that Belichick and McDaniels hoped to deploy (for further knowledge, see either my post in the back thread: "2012- year of the TE", and/or a TE-based thread within 1 or 2 days of this thread in question).  

Belichick and McDaniels are attempting to intertwine the the role that the FB had demonstratively landed squarely in through the 80's, 90's and first half of this decade (i.e. a lead-blocking wrecking ball for the running game only), INTO a union with the player position on the Offensive side of the football, which had unseated the FBs primary useage on the field of play (i.e. A 2nd pass-catching TE in the mold of the Dallas Clark/Aaron Hernandez types...A 2nd TE, which offered an exceptionally greater number of O-groupings package designs, relative to the very real threat of the coverage mismatches afforded through this shiftier pass-catching 2nd TE).

1 role now- FB + 2nd Pass-catching TE=1 guy.  First illustrated through Hern's sudden 8 carries from scrimmage during these past playoffs, Belichick's sudden brain-boggling accumulation of 3, even 4 FB-first players during this past offseason, and exemplified in the first preseason game (Especially, as it relates to utilizing it under Mallet and Hoyer from the 2nd quarter onward, in their attempt to see how this completely new group of O-personell can function and hopefully, WILL function come season start...without giving anything too much away this early in the 2012 game).  

...And you saw it.  Ya might not know ya did, But you saw it.  Kettani going into motion from the lead-blocking role, and then suddenly swinging out from a package which initially and for all intents and purposes looked "Big" (e.g. "pound the ball big")- INTO unbelievably, a 5th(!) eligible receiver (a few times too).  In 1 instance he flanked the middle of 3 wideout set-up on the strongside, while NE's 2 other eligibles on the other side were either Gronk <i.e. bigger TE /> (slighly off the line, in the position of the rightmost player in prolate's bottom screenshot, for instance), and Hern as the far eligible on the weakside (or vice-versa...yea-Gronk split wide w/ Hern up and very slightly off the LOS); I believe that the other 5 eligible formation w/ NE's FB either motioning into the pass-catching spot on the LOS, or just squaring up into it after the break of the huddle, featured 3 eligibles on the strongside (w/ FB in the middle again), a wideout as the far flanker on this 3 man side, and the interior guy (just off the line, but as the innermost strongside guy of these 3 eligibles) being Gronk <i.e. whomever was the true standard big 1st TE />; While the other side featured Vareen + 1 WR.

^ And this is a nightmare to try to defend.  ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE.  Wadd'ya gonna waste a good coverage Safety and/or nickel back on NE's FB...NE's FB whom is not solely- NOT coming out of the backfield after the snap, but has aligned himself directly in between 2 more Pats Eligible receivers on the wider expanse of the strongside more open room of the field?  Yup, you can do this w/ your Safety/Nickelback <that is, cover the hybrid FB/Pass-catching TE that aligns here />...the result is that you'll be leaving ANY ONE...and in MANY instances- 2 of NE's other pass-catching options 1 on 1= Lloyd, Gronk, Vareen/Ridley, and/or the 2nd of NE's other actual wideout.  The result is less backfield and/or pass-coverage help. 

Here, this'll help-  What NE's utilizing:  5 O-Linemen, 1 Quarterback, 2 TE's (1 standard TE, and 1 as a pass-catching TE/lead-blocking FB hybrid), 1 RB, and 2 Wideouts.
    Additional notes to key in to:  You are subbing, and you HAVE to sub now with this set-up=VERY LITTLE.
         You see that the opposing D is using their base package (i.e. they look "Big"; groupings of bigger guys)- Bring in Vareen/Woodhead...An utter nightmare-  Too much speed and space to exploit with NE's personell of Gronk/Hernandez/Lloyd/Gafney/Vareen-  1 audible setting NE's backfield into motion and split out as pass-catchers, and these 5 guys would simply KILL a D which is employing their big base personell package of players here.  
         You see the opposing D using a sub-package (i.e. In today's NFL, 90% of the time- Smaller groupings of personell); Ex: A "Big Nickel": Rather than a standard Base of a 4-3 w/ 2 CBs and 2 S's, you've gone to A Defense far better to cover the pass-play: 4-2 <4 DL + 2 LBs vs 3 LBs /> w/ either 3 CBs and 2 S's or 2 CBs and 3 S's.  Smaller, faster Defense less exploitable to the pass-play, but now more exploitable to the O running the football.  Here:  Ridley/Bolden.  Which you witnessed, beit w/ Ridley (ideally here) or Vareen (ideally for the former).  BOTH work...and actually BOTH can offer up distinct advantages for either depending on the specific opponent's D players in either/or: Vs. a Big base D or a Smaller sub-package group of D guys.  EXAMPLE:  They're going small...you're rippin' them up: 4 D-Linemen, 2 LBs and 3 CBs and 2 Safeties.  Then you (NE) square up in THIS?!?:  5 man O-Line with Gronk directly on 1 side, side-by-side as a 3rd Blocker on 1 side, Hern/FB in either an I (lead-blocker) and/or swinging out into just off the LOS as illustrated in the bottomost left NE player (w/ his hand in the dirt, set just behind the LOS- bottom pic); 2 wideouts- Where you can offer the smallest, least adept at blocking out and cealing off his CB, split far wide, and NE's other wideout closer to the LOS and/or in motion initially wider then moving towards the LOS pre-snap)=NIGHTMARE.
    ^ THAT is a MASSIVE amount of muscle on The O side, EXTREMELY advantageous to run-blocking a smaller sub-package Defense.

I could go on and on w/ varying looks.  1 more thing (made mention some time back, maybe that 2012 year of the TE area of time in threads)- It's NE's 2 wideouts.  NE will (and was) using-hmmm:  2 "Possession type" WRs.  Yes. 
    Call it what'you will...I call it:  1 short-mid range possession WR, and 1 mid-long range possession WR and type). 
    2 Shorter-Range Possession WR types:
    #1. Beit through an extended role of the slot types (Welkers + Edelmans + Ebners) frommore of a 5-10 yard pass-route role into more of a 7-14 yard route extension (with many more sideline oriented reads than simply undermining the short middle) <McDaniels first used this in our last SB, when Welker dropped that perfectly placed pinpoint precise ball...if you need more detail on this particular delusion, ask: prolate, pezz, babe, or bredu), OR #2. A Possession wideout found through the Gafney type of physical make-up.  Plays REAL long + light-footed (like the wideouts of yore whom would take ballerina lessons)- So light-footed, 1 tip-toe step out of their route break, and their entire body has shifted to their turns like as if Mass played no part in the equation- Same 7-14 yard routes with more emphasis placed on exploiting the pass-catch outside the numbers on the short-mid range field of play, yet without excluding short-midrange middle areas;
    2 "Longer" Range Possession WR types:
    #1. The bigger-'beefier' version of the "Slot" type receiver: Branch + Stallworth.  Shifty, quick, and far more sturdy in their physique and build (my apologies for calling Branch + Stallworth bigger "slot" guys, a misnomer except in this quick overview attempt alone);  10-12 yards +; Same emphasis look applies- A bit greater emphasis on mid-long range sideline routes, over middle of the field, YET much less-so vs the short-mid range guy, and not excluding the mid-deep middle of the field pass-catching attack 1 bit.
    #2.  The bigger-'even longer striding' version of the Gaf type of short-mid range possession type- Lloyd (Britt);  Same holds true- Light footed, extremely fluid and agile long-stridders- If Branch/Stallworth are the Welker/Edelman extended role on steroids, then the same applies here- Lloyd is the extension of the Gafney mold on steroids;  10-12 yards +...see above.  And just as you'd figure that the Edelman/Welker types differ from the Gaf role, in that a greater number of their routes would exploit the short middle vs the short sideline, the same applies here with The "deeper" possession Lloyd vs the "deeper" possession Branch/Stallworths (i.e. a greater emphasis on Lloyd's mid-longer range routes hedging to the sidelines, vs a slightly greater emphasis on Branch's/Stallworth's routes hedging inside the numbers in their mid-longer range routes);

^ And this WILL be what works best- 2 of each type.  Less #1 deep bomb WR Randy Moss 70 yarders (I pray), and Less #3 Slot receiver 3-7 yarders (in lieu of greater emphasises on the running game, as was the case in the recent past).  By doing it this way- Utilizing a Gronk + Hern<FB+#2TE /> + RB- The very short-short middle passing game has 3 outlets, Thus: You MUST attempt to stretch the field so, yet you've fully alloted yourself the pretty amazing base lookings of a ball-control Offense (see preseason game drive stats in TOP in drives that didn't even result in going half the distance of the field, vs SB drive stats from NE that went much further in half the time- If you need more info on complimentary football, ask the 4 horsemen I mentioned above). 

In the end, you are attempting to both exploit the opposing D's personell groupings with minimal change to your own (i.e. extreme schematic versatility using the least amount of change/subbing to your O players), AND to control the course of the gameplay with ball-control Offense, icing the opposing team's O, and affording rest to your own D, THROUGH the added use of the best schematic versatility you can deploy with the most similiar same players and player position groupings/types, AND to do so using high-percentage of success type of plays and player personells, ALL the WHILE using 1 package of players which can afford and be deployed in equally successful useages in the passing game AND the running game.  A Belichick Motto:  ADAPTABILITY...This wins.  YOU are have the FAR higher malleablity to change and adapt and exploit gameplay, than they do.  THEY have to adapt to you based on the exceptional degree of multi-dimensional things, looks, and plays you can do within the same Single Look.  Your 1 grouping of 11 guys on O have more versatlity and greater design exploitations than their 1 grouping of 11 guys on D.  They have to play your game and they have to adapt to you.   They are playing RE-active football.

~~~

HERE is what is ABSOLUTELY required:

Tom Brady- err, Tom Brady's Offensive Coordinator on NE, MUST teach Brady to BOTH stay under center within this schematic design of what McDaniel's is attempting to do here (I counted 4 or 5X during NE's 1st Offense plays during this preseaon game #1, when "NE's QB" was either: A /> In the shotgun and Did NOT pass, or B /> Under Center, and Did NOT hand the ball off in a running play)=In NO way, will this cut it, in terms of selling the fullest amount of multidimensional accounting for by the opposing D, in what NE's play-direction will be at the hike of the ball);  Again, I want to FULLY emphasize that I blame this solely on Josh McDaniels...and a little bit, on Devin McCourty as well.

NEXT, NE's "Quarterback Coach" MUST tell his Quarterback to: F##K!NG MAKE ANYTHING GREATER THAN A HALF-#SS#D Attempt at selling play-action.  In otherwords, to answer Muzwell's inquery:  I CAN SEE, right here, using that picture from a blimp in outter space, that NE's QB is standing MUCH more upright under center, in the play that he ends up passing the ball, As opposed to him hovering and crouching in a more complete fashion under center, In the play that he ends up handing the ball off.  Who else can see?  A:  The NYGs 2 Linebackers in both pics, whom BEFORE the ball is even hiked, are either backing up on their heels in order to defend the pass, and/or starting to begin their swing over to NE's greater probability of pass-catching play direction (i.e. the eligible receivers on the strongside of the bottommost pass-play picture).  LIKWISE, PRIOR TO the snap of the ball, These same 2 LBs are just beginning to crowd up right on their tip-toes leaning forward in anticipation of the run...ON THE RUNNING PLAY.  And yes, this is particularly more and more evident based on the total non-existance that NE's QB Coach is telling his QB, to sell play-action:  Same position in crouch effort over center, and if it's a pass-play?  DO NOT, merrily wisp 1 hand into the RBs gut as you are standing completely upright and already eyeing your receiving options (SEE preseason game, over and over, and over).  And when it's a run-play?  GET UP in your stance...SELL the PASS- LOOK downfield...and as quick as possible swoop down and shove the rock in your RBs gut.  Jesus.  Also:  There are most probably a few more "tells" that a Professional NFL Linebacker is privy to, vs. a Fan seeing a still-image from the space station.

NEXT, Bill Belichick MUST tell his O-Coordinator and QB Coach that he'd actually like for his Quarterback to "check down" to solely- and even just 1 MORE eligible receiver that, than the exact 1 that he's going to.  Example:  Brandon Lloyd pass play broken up over the deep middle of the field on the 1st drive.  Go back and look to see if there is even 1 other pass-catching option that NE's QB is even ONCE glancing at over the course of that full play's span.  Now watch the whole drive, and key on this 1 simple thing: Whether or not NE's QB is telegraphing his inevitable pass direction from the get-go, the entire time.  This is occuring on FAR too many plays, over and over, and over.  THIS MUST STOP (No, this does not mean, that he I hate my quarterback, or that I'm not happy that he helped NE to 3 SBs in the first half of this previous decade, or that he is not pretty, or that he is fantasy stats can be counted on like the sun rising, in order to help people win money in office pools);

~~~

Also, NE's D unit is indeed a hybrid 3-4/4-3 Eagle defense (see the 1st post on the 2nd page of some Hightower thread some time back)-

You saw it more and more in the 2nd half of play-  A very symetrical looking 4-3 Defense:

WLB  MLB  SLB
          DE  DT    DT  DE

During this time, you saw NE's MLB pushing in between either side of both NE's DTs, BOTH threatening an interior between-the-tackles blitz, and/or standing up on the LOS and scooting either guy over a nudge (see alot of what Willie Mac used to do, on the WOLB spot)- With NE's remaining 2 LBs moving over to compensate towards the weaker remaining side.

Same design works (same base personell...see adaptability of NE's Offense up above)- As it can seamlessly meld into a 4-3 Over (D-Line is shifted "over" the strongside of the opposing O's O-Line-i.e. usually TE side) OR a 4-3 Under (D-line is shifted weakside, or "under the oppositions strongside TE O-Line heavy side)-

WLB   MLB   SLB
          DE   DT  DT   DE
                      OT-TE
    ...or thereabouts (LB's scissoring in exact opposite direction of D-Line's shift, w/ or w/out this weakside LB moving up to the LOS or simply staying back)

Vs.

WLB    MLB    SLB
    DE   DT  DT   DE 
                        OT-TE
    ...again...or "thereabouts"; Oftentimes, the SLB shifts directly over and on top of the oppositions TE, squaring up against him directly @ or on the LOS (saw this in droves, during last year's preseason contests in particular, as it appeared to be precisely where BB was heading prior to Haynesworth's laziness, Ellis's old-age decrepitness, and Buffalo's new 10 zillion dollar DE whom cannot play the run...ever-REAL bad);

What you should key on:  EXTREME adaptability between these multitude of looks using little to no changes in base personell specific players.  When spread out/prevent/late in the lead, key on Hightower at SLB being subbed in for a roving Safety of the Nate Ebner and Tavon Wilson and Josh Barret (if applicable) physical mold.
    What you should be concerned about watching Preseason Game #2:  Hightower is playing on his heels...  Again, All my apologies to those whom started 167 Hightower threads while discounting Chandler Jones based on how he looked with his pads off in the very first shorts and t-shirt OTAs (for more info on Jones, see the pre-draft thread on: "Patriots Reported interest in Syracuse's Chandler Jones").  Hightower MUST begin to show more force.  Quick Note: Jerod Mayo's a F##K#NG force of nature.  I've discounted his direct ability to offer game and/or drive-altering Impact Plays...it was warranted.  Lol...NOT Now...this guy apparently took offseason courses in pass-coverage w/ Deion Sanders while training to bulk up with member's of the World's Strongest man Competitors.  Should Hightower playing on his heels, overly concern you?  Nope...Preseason Game #1 from a Rook, and by the end, he was initiating contact as opposed to over and over and over falling back upon being contacted.  Still...just know that Hightower's role IS critical.  In this D look that BB's going with, Mayo WILL be on the weakside.  He's fast, and he needs to be there in his pass-coverage out onto the open flat as the play develops and a quick RB/TE moves into the open area.  Spikes can do the strong or MLB...Ya want him at MLB though, 'cause this guy has ZERO fear WHAT-soever about going head-first into a 6'6 330lb O-Linemen...or two.  Zero regard for permanent brain-damage in the slightest.  Hightower MUST be counted upon to be able seal that edge in THAT much open space and on the stronger side of the field of play-He MUST be able to turn the play inwards once and if that DE (not Jones...WDE more often ideally over Mayo's "smaller" LB side, although I saw a few variations w/ Jones as the SDE);  DH's pass-coverage abilities on the otherhand looked pretty d#mn good for a 6'3 265lb rookie Middle Linebacker in his 1st preseason matchup in pass-coverage vs Pro NFL'ers (which I would be more concerned about, if this was lacking). 

And that is that-  Note: I'm not sorry in the slightest to be an absolute PR!CK towards Fans whom are preset in their opinions and evaluations before any play on the field, and/or based not the play, series, and/or games which just occured, but based on the Randomly conjected QBR ratings for your fantasy game based on the full span of some regular season of even, current yore.  Everybody gets the EXACT same treatment from me, PER play and PER game.  If you are not playing 1 game, or lack in 1 series, or underproduce in 1 play, I don't care if you make 20 million a year and are a GQ cover whom won 87 superbowls for my team...I will unrepentantly eat you and any and every fan hanging of your j#ck strap and fantasy numbers, Alive.  ...And no, this doesn't apply towards those whom have totally and utterly stopped hearing or listening...The more times, I see you on here, becomes the more days that I won't be on here.  And I don't care if you like it or not...  I don't care if you think I'm being a "baby" or not....  I love this sport and I love my team, and there is no place in my world for those whom: Never see the fuller picture, care solely about those lesser details which they pray to mask the unbelievable !d!ocy of their completely preformed set-in-stone half-wrought ideas based on personel prefernce & favoritism backed up by a 2nd grader from Norway's interpretation of this game.

-And yes truechamp, NE's QB Coach should've called an audible to run to the right side at the LOS-VERY exploitable with that D-Look.  Send either Gronk at the hike, swinging over and/or Gronk to set the edge with either or both of your LOG or LOT pulling to the right.  VERY open, and very undermanned in size-ratio w/ a run towards that size based on that D-Look, I'd count an easy 5-4 Offense-Defender advantage.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

In Response to Watching the Pats-Giants Coaches Film:
    ... 2. The Pats get the ball on their first drive on their own five yard line--almost exactly where they got it in the Super Bowl.  More interesting, they come out in pretty much the exact same formation and personnel as they did on the safety play in the Super Bowl (including Solder reporting as eligible).  On this play, though, there's no play action--it's a straight up run and BJGE gets 18 yards.  Watching this, it seems very likely that the Pats in the Super Bowl were hoping that the Giants would be fooled into thinking the Pats were repeating the exact same successful run they pulled off in week 9 in the exact same situation. The Giants, though, called their bluff and seemed to be expecting pass. Interesting, though, to realize that the chess match was a lot more sophisticated than the casual observer would ever suspect . . .  The coaches film, by the way, is pretty cool to watch . . .   

nyg will always want to rush tb, and will gamble a bit. why? because that's how you stop the pats offense.

nyg learned from the wk 9 game. they still wanted to rush as they did in wk 9, but they did not want to get burned the same way. they made a simple adjustment. look at where the LBs are standing. it looks small but it was enough of an adjustment to not get burned, if the pats run, but still close enough to get to tb quickly once they see he did not hand off.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

looks like te on tb's left is also 1 yd back... isn't that an indication that he's protecting a pass?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

The Tyree catch was lucky the Manningham catch was a tremendous throw by Eli.

As far as the safety I would have thought Brady could have thrown the ball at Solders feet for the incomplete or overthrown to the sidelines.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

looks like te on tb's left is also 1 yd back... isn't that an indication that he's protecting a pass?
    Posted by seattlepat70

It's an interesting question.  There are a few minor differences in the formation.  Some can be explained because in week 9 the ball was on the right hash mark and in the super bowl on the left hashmark.  This affects the spacing and placement of the wideouts on the left side of the formation a bit.  The other two differences are that in the Super Bowl, Solder is off the LOS and Branch on it (in week 9, Branch is off and Solder on) and Gronk is standing up in the Super Bowl while he was in a three point stance in week 9.  Maybe those differences were enough to tip off the Giants' defense in the Super Bowl.  The Giants' D also lined up just a bit differently, with the safety up in week 9 and the LBs and DBs a little tighter to the LOS.  It does look like in the Super Bowl the D was anticipating pass more than in week 9.

You have to wonder whether Brady had a choice to actually run or pass from this formation depending on what the D did.  

Anyway, realizing that the opening formations and situations were about the same in the two games does add a new dimension to the analysis of wfat was going on.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

" Running the ball may have been an afterthought for the Pats, but then what would you call it for a team like the Giants that ran less and considerably less effectively? The Pats rushed 438 times for 1,764 yards (4.0 per carry), good for 20th in the NFL. NYG rushed 411 times for 1,427 yards (3.5 per carry), dead last in the NFL. Not sure why teams would respect their play action and not New England's ?"  ~muzwell Not that it matters much on this forum, IF you trully would like what constitutes an "accurate" answer to your querry, I'll provide you with 1: NE's Week 9 O-look against NY vs. NE's SB O-Look against NY, as it relates to How The Giants D squared-up pre-snap in both, is extremely similiar upon 1st glance.  But in actuality, NE's O-Look during this past SB is- and will prove to be, A close parrallel of the former, yet one that offers a completely different play-package based on Josh McD's designs and intents...and intents for this year's O. NE will NOT be "cutting ALL their fullbacks."  Yup, they're injured (nearly every one I believe), yet they are, will be, and WERE in preseason game #1, the precise thing that I stated that Belichick and McDaniels hoped to deploy (for further knowledge, see either my post in the back thread: "2012- year of the TE", and/or a TE-based thread within 1 or 2 days of this thread in question).   Belichick and McDaniels are attempting to intertwine the the role that the FB had demonstratively landed squarely in through the 80's, 90's and first half of this decade (i.e. a lead-blocking wrecking ball for the running game only), INTO a union with the player position on the Offensive side of the football, which had unseated the FBs primary useage on the field of play (i.e. A 2nd pass-catching TE in the mold of the Dallas Clark/Aaron Hernandez types...A 2nd TE, which offered an exceptionally greater number of O-groupings package designs, relative to the very real threat of the coverage mismatches afforded through this shiftier pass-catching 2nd TE). 1 role now- FB + 2nd Pass-catching TE=1 guy.  First illustrated through Hern's sudden 8 carries from scrimmage during these past playoffs, Belichick's sudden brain-boggling accumulation of 3, even 4 FB-first players during this past offseason, and exemplified in the first preseason game (Especially, as it relates to utilizing it under Mallet and Hoyer from the 2nd quarter onward, in their attempt to see how this completely new group of O-personell can function and hopefully, WILL function come season start...without giving anything too much away this early in the 2012 game).   ...And you saw it.  Ya might not know ya did, But you saw it.  Kettani going into motion from the lead-blocking role, and then suddenly swinging out from a package which initially and for all intents and purposes looked "Big" (e.g. "pound the ball big")- INTO unbelievably, a 5th(!) eligible receiver (a few times too).  In 1 instance he flanked the middle of 3 wideout set-up on the strongside, while NE's 2 other eligibles on the other side were either Gronk <i.e. bigger TE /> (slighly off the line, in the position of the rightmost player in prolate's bottom screenshot, for instance), and Hern as the far eligible on the weakside (or vice-versa...yea-Gronk split wide w/ Hern up and very slightly off the LOS); I believe that the other 5 eligible formation w/ NE's FB either motioning into the pass-catching spot on the LOS, or just squaring up into it after the break of the huddle, featured 3 eligibles on the strongside (w/ FB in the middle again), a wideout as the far flanker on this 3 man side, and the interior guy (just off the line, but as the innermost strongside guy of these 3 eligibles) being Gronk <i.e. whomever was the true standard big 1st TE />; While the other side featured Vareen + 1 WR. ^ And this is a nightmare to try to defend.  ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE.  Wadd'ya gonna waste a good coverage Safety and/or nickel back on NE's FB...NE's FB whom is not solely- NOT coming out of the backfield after the snap, but has aligned himself directly in between 2 more Pats Eligible receivers on the wider expanse of the strongside more open room of the field?  Yup, you can do this w/ your Safety/Nickelback <that is, cover the hybrid FB/Pass-catching TE that aligns here />...the result is that you'll be leaving ANY ONE...and in MANY instances- 2 of NE's other pass-catching options 1 on 1= Lloyd, Gronk, Vareen/Ridley, and/or the 2nd of NE's other actual wideout.  The result is less backfield and/or pass-coverage help.    Here, this'll help-  What NE's utilizing:  5 O-Linemen, 1 Quarterback, 2 TE's (1 standard TE, and 1 as a pass-catching TE/lead-blocking FB hybrid), 1 RB, and 2 Wideouts. Additional notes to key in to:  You are subbing, and you HAVE to sub now with this set-up=VERY LITTLE.      You see that the opposing D is using their base package (i.e. they look "Big"; groupings of bigger guys)- Bring in Vareen/Woodhead...An utter nightmare-  Too much speed and space to exploit with NE's personell of Gronk/Hernandez/Lloyd/Gafney/Vareen-  1 audible setting NE's backfield into motion and split out as pass-catchers, and these 5 guys would simply KILL a D which is employing their big base personell package of players here.        You see the opposing D using a sub-package (i.e. In today's NFL, 90% of the time- Smaller groupings of personell); Ex: A "Big Nickel": Rather than a standard Base of a 4-3 w/ 2 CBs and 2 S's, you've gone to A Defense far better to cover the pass-play: 4-2 <4 DL + 2 LBs vs 3 LBs /> w/ either 3 CBs and 2 S's or 2 CBs and 3 S's.  Smaller, faster Defense less exploitable to the pass-play, but now more exploitable to the O running the football.  Here:  Ridley/Bolden.  Which you witnessed, beit w/ Ridley (ideally here) or Vareen (ideally for the former).  BOTH work...and actually BOTH can offer up distinct advantages for either depending on the specific opponent's D players in either/or: Vs. a Big base D or a Smaller sub-package group of D guys.  EXAMPLE:  They're going small...you're rippin' them up: 4 D-Linemen, 2 LBs and 3 CBs and 2 Safeties.  Then you (NE) square up in THIS?!?:  5 man O-Line with Gronk directly on 1 side, side-by-side as a 3rd Blocker on 1 side, Hern/FB in either an I (lead-blocker) and/or swinging out into just off the LOS as illustrated in the bottomost left NE player (w/ his hand in the dirt, set just behind the LOS- bottom pic); 2 wideouts- Where you can offer the smallest, least adept at blocking out and cealing off his CB, split far wide, and NE's other wideout closer to the LOS and/or in motion initially wider then moving towards the LOS pre-snap)=NIGHTMARE. ^ THAT is a MASSIVE amount of muscle on The O side, EXTREMELY advantageous to run-blocking a smaller sub-package Defense. I could go on and on w/ varying looks.  1 more thing (made mention some time back, maybe that 2012 year of the TE area of time in threads)- It's NE's 2 wideouts.  NE will (and was) using-hmmm:  2 "Possession type" WRs.  Yes.  Call it what'you will...I call it:  1 short-mid range possession WR, and 1 mid-long range possession WR and type).  2 Shorter-Range Possession WR types: #1. Beit through an extended role of the slot types (Welkers + Edelmans + Ebners) frommore of a 5-10 yard pass-route role into more of a 7-14 yard route extension (with many more sideline oriented reads than simply undermining the short middle) <McDaniels first used this in our last SB, when Welker dropped that perfectly placed pinpoint precise ball...if you need more detail on this particular delusion, ask: prolate, pezz, babe, or bredu), OR #2. A Possession wideout found through the Gafney type of physical make-up.  Plays REAL long + light-footed (like the wideouts of yore whom would take ballerina lessons)- So light-footed, 1 tip-toe step out of their route break, and their entire body has shifted to their turns like as if Mass played no part in the equation- Same 7-14 yard routes with more emphasis placed on exploiting the pass-catch outside the numbers on the short-mid range field of play, yet without excluding short-midrange middle areas; 2 "Longer" Range Possession WR types: #1. The bigger-'beefier' version of the "Slot" type receiver: Branch + Stallworth.  Shifty, quick, and far more sturdy in their physique and build (my apologies for calling Branch + Stallworth bigger "slot" guys, a misnomer except in this quick overview attempt alone);  10-12 yards +; Same emphasis look applies- A bit greater emphasis on mid-long range sideline routes, over middle of the field, YET much less-so vs the short-mid range guy, and not excluding the mid-deep middle of the field pass-catching attack 1 bit. #2.  The bigger-'even longer striding' version of the Gaf type of short-mid range possession type- Lloyd (Britt);  Same holds true- Light footed, extremely fluid and agile long-stridders- If Branch/Stallworth are the Welker/Edelman extended role on steroids, then the same applies here- Lloyd is the extension of the Gafney mold on steroids;  10-12 yards +...see above.  And just as you'd figure that the Edelman/Welker types differ from the Gaf role, in that a greater number of their routes would exploit the short middle vs the short sideline, the same applies here with The "deeper" possession Lloyd vs the "deeper" possession Branch/Stallworths (i.e. a greater emphasis on Lloyd's mid-longer range routes hedging to the sidelines, vs a slightly greater emphasis on Branch's/Stallworth's routes hedging inside the numbers in their mid-longer range routes); ^ And this WILL be what works best- 2 of each type.  Less #1 deep bomb WR Randy Moss 70 yarders (I pray), and Less #3 Slot receiver 3-7 yarders (in lieu of greater emphasises on the running game, as was the case in the recent past).  By doing it this way- Utilizing a Gronk + Hern<FB+#2TE /> + RB- The very short-short middle passing game has 3 outlets, Thus: You MUST attempt to stretch the field so, yet you've fully alloted yourself the pretty amazing base lookings of a ball-control Offense (see preseason game drive stats in TOP in drives that didn't even result in going half the distance of the field, vs SB drive stats from NE that went much further in half the time- If you need more info on complimentary football, ask the 4 horsemen I mentioned above).  In the end, you are attempting to both exploit the opposing D's personell groupings with minimal change to your own (i.e. extreme schematic versatility using the least amount of change/subbing to your O players), AND to control the course of the gameplay with ball-control Offense, icing the opposing team's O, and affording rest to your own D, THROUGH the added use of the best schematic versatility you can deploy with the most similiar same players and player position groupings/types, AND to do so using high-percentage of success type of plays and player personells, ALL the WHILE using 1 package of players which can afford and be deployed in equally successful useages in the passing game AND the running game.  A Belichick Motto:  ADAPTABILITY...This wins.  YOU are have the FAR higher malleablity to change and adapt and exploit gameplay, than they do.  THEY have to adapt to you based on the exceptional degree of multi-dimensional things, looks, and plays you can do within the same Single Look.  Your 1 grouping of 11 guys on O have more versatlity and greater design exploitations than their 1 grouping of 11 guys on D.  They have to play your game and they have to adapt to you.   They are playing RE-active football. ~~~ HERE is what is ABSOLUTELY required: Tom Brady- err, Tom Brady's Offensive Coordinator on NE, MUST teach Brady to BOTH stay under center within this schematic design of what McDaniel's is attempting to do here (I counted 4 or 5X during NE's 1st Offense plays during this preseaon game #1, when "NE's QB" was either: A /> In the shotgun and Did NOT pass, or B /> Under Center, and Did NOT hand the ball off in a running play)=In NO way, will this cut it, in terms of selling the fullest amount of multidimensional accounting for by the opposing D, in what NE's play-direction will be at the hike of the ball);  Again, I want to FULLY emphasize that I blame this solely on Josh McDaniels...and a little bit, on Devin McCourty as well. NEXT, NE's "Quarterback Coach" MUST tell his Quarterback to: F##K!NG MAKE ANYTHING GREATER THAN A HALF-#SS#D Attempt at selling play-action.  In otherwords, to answer Muzwell's inquery:  I CAN SEE, right here, using that picture from a blimp in outter space, that NE's QB is standing MUCH more upright under center, in the play that he ends up passing the ball, As opposed to him hovering and crouching in a more complete fashion under center, In the play that he ends up handing the ball off.  Who else can see?  A:  The NYGs 2 Linebackers in both pics, whom BEFORE the ball is even hiked, are either backing up on their heels in order to defend the pass, and/or starting to begin their swing over to NE's greater probability of pass-catching play direction (i.e. the eligible receivers on the strongside of the bottommost pass-play picture).  LIKWISE, PRIOR TO the snap of the ball, These same 2 LBs are just beginning to crowd up right on their tip-toes leaning forward in anticipation of the run...ON THE RUNNING PLAY.  And yes, this is particularly more and more evident based on the total non-existance that NE's QB Coach is telling his QB, to sell play-action:  Same position in crouch effort over center, and if it's a pass-play?  DO NOT, merrily wisp 1 hand into the RBs gut as you are standing completely upright and already eyeing your receiving options (SEE preseason game, over and over, and over).  And when it's a run-play?  GET UP in your stance...SELL the PASS- LOOK downfield...and as quick as possible swoop down and shove the rock in your RBs gut.  Jesus.  Also:  There are most probably a few more "tells" that a Professional NFL Linebacker is privy to, vs. a Fan seeing a still-image from the space station. NEXT, Bill Belichick MUST tell his O-Coordinator and QB Coach that he'd actually like for his Quarterback to "check down" to solely- and even just 1 MORE eligible receiver that, than the exact 1 that he's going to.  Example:  Brandon Lloyd pass play broken up over the deep middle of the field on the 1st drive.  Go back and look to see if there is even 1 other pass-catching option that NE's QB is even ONCE glancing at over the course of that full play's span.  Now watch the whole drive, and key on this 1 simple thing: Whether or not NE's QB is telegraphing his inevitable pass direction from the get-go, the entire time.  This is occuring on FAR too many plays, over and over, and over.  THIS MUST STOP (No, this does not mean, that he I hate my quarterback, or that I'm not happy that he helped NE to 3 SBs in the first half of this previous decade, or that he is not pretty, or that he is fantasy stats can be counted on like the sun rising, in order to help people win money in office pools); ~~~ Also, NE's D unit is indeed a hybrid 3-4/4-3 Eagle defense (see the 1st post on the 2nd page of some Hightower thread some time back)- You saw it more and more in the 2nd half of play-  A very symetrical looking 4-3 Defense:        WLB  MLB  SLB       DE  DT    DT  DE During this time, you saw NE's MLB pushing in between either side of both NE's DTs, BOTH threatening an interior between-the-tackles blitz, and/or standing up on the LOS and scooting either guy over a nudge (see alot of what Willie Mac used to do, on the WOLB spot)- With NE's remaining 2 LBs moving over to compensate towards the weaker remaining side. Same design works (same base personell...see adaptability of NE's Offense up above)- As it can seamlessly meld into a 4-3 Over (D-Line is shifted "over" the strongside of the opposing O's O-Line-i.e. usually TE side) OR a 4-3 Under (D-line is shifted weakside, or "under the oppositions strongside TE O-Line heavy side)-    WLB   MLB   SLB       DE   DT  DT   DE                   OT-TE ...or thereabouts (LB's scissoring in exact opposite direction of D-Line's shift, w/ or w/out this weakside LB moving up to the LOS or simply staying back) Vs.     WLB    MLB    SLB DE   DT  DT   DE                      OT-TE ...again...or "thereabouts"; Oftentimes, the SLB shifts directly over and on top of the oppositions TE, squaring up against him directly @ or on the LOS (saw this in droves, during last year's preseason contests in particular, as it appeared to be precisely where BB was heading prior to Haynesworth's laziness, Ellis's old-age decrepitness, and Buffalo's new 10 zillion dollar DE whom cannot play the run...ever-REAL bad); What you should key on:  EXTREME adaptability between these multitude of looks using little to no changes in base personell specific players.  When spread out/prevent/late in the lead, key on Hightower at SLB being subbed in for a roving Safety of the Nate Ebner and Tavon Wilson and Josh Barret (if applicable) physical mold. What you should be concerned about watching Preseason Game #2:  Hightower is playing on his heels...  Again, All my apologies to those whom started 167 Hightower threads while discounting Chandler Jones based on how he looked with his pads off in the very first shorts and t-shirt OTAs (for more info on Jones, see the pre-draft thread on: "Patriots Reported interest in Syracuse's Chandler Jones").  Hightower MUST begin to show more force.  Quick Note: Jerod Mayo's a F##K#NG force of nature.  I've discounted his direct ability to offer game and/or drive-altering Impact Plays...it was warranted.  Lol...NOT Now...this guy apparently took offseason courses in pass-coverage w/ Deion Sanders while training to bulk up with member's of the World's Strongest man Competitors.  Should Hightower playing on his heels, overly concern you?  Nope...Preseason Game #1 from a Rook, and by the end, he was initiating contact as opposed to over and over and over falling back upon being contacted.  Still...just know that Hightower's role IS critical.  In this D look that BB's going with, Mayo WILL be on the weakside.  He's fast, and he needs to be there in his pass-coverage out onto the open flat as the play develops and a quick RB/TE moves into the open area.  Spikes can do the strong or MLB...Ya want him at MLB though, 'cause this guy has ZERO fear WHAT-soever about going head-first into a 6'6 330lb O-Linemen...or two.  Zero regard for permanent brain-damage in the slightest.  Hightower MUST be counted upon to be able seal that edge in THAT much open space and on the stronger side of the field of play-He MUST be able to turn the play inwards once and if that DE (not Jones...WDE more often ideally over Mayo's "smaller" LB side, although I saw a few variations w/ Jones as the SDE);  DH's pass-coverage abilities on the otherhand looked pretty d#mn good for a 6'3 265lb rookie Middle Linebacker in his 1st preseason matchup in pass-coverage vs Pro NFL'ers (which I would be more concerned about, if this was lacking).    And that is that-  Note: I'm not sorry in the slightest to be an absolute PR!CK towards Fans whom are preset in their opinions and evaluations before any play on the field, and/or based not the play, series, and/or games which just occured, but based on the Randomly conjected QBR ratings for your fantasy game based on the full span of some regular season of even, current yore.  Everybody gets the EXACT same treatment from me, PER play and PER game.  If you are not playing 1 game, or lack in 1 series, or underproduce in 1 play, I don't care if you make 20 million a year and are a GQ cover whom won 87 superbowls for my team...I will unrepentantly eat you and any and every fan hanging of your j#ck strap and fantasy numbers, Alive.  ...And no, this doesn't apply towards those whom have totally and utterly stopped hearing or listening...The more times, I see you on here, becomes the more days that I won't be on here.  And I don't care if you like it or not...  I don't care if you think I'm being a "baby" or not....  I love this sport and I love my team, and there is no place in my world for those whom: Never see the fuller picture, care solely about those lesser details which they pray to mask the unbelievable !d!ocy of their completely preformed set-in-stone half-wrought ideas based on personel prefernce & favoritism backed up by a 2nd grader from Norway's interpretation of this game.                 -And yes truechamp, NE's QB Coach should've called an audible to run to the right side at the LOS-VERY exploitable with that D-Look.  Send either Gronk at the hike, swinging over and/or Gronk to set the edge with either or both of your LOG or LOT pulling to the right.  VERY open, and very undermanned in size-ratio w/ a run towards that size based on that D-Look, I'd count an easy 5-4 Offense-Defender advantage.
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

Hahaha! I usually start reading a thread from the last post in...so I start scrolling up and run into this one. After four paragraphs of script I immediately thought, Laz???

Nice break down!

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Laz....welcome back!

I'd been missing reading material.

How'd the withdrawls treat ya?

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Laz is back!

22. This post has been removed.

23. This post has been removed.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

First: 6/4/2008
    Last: 8/19/2012

Laz, thanks for taking the time and effort needed to really answer that question. I felt the need to respond to a few things here because this is the most accurate depiction of our offensive inefficiencies as well as our apparent attempts to correct/improve the variety in this teams play calling and ability to do so.

"Running the ball may have been an afterthought for the Pats, but then what would you call it for a team like the Giants that ran less and considerably less effectively? The Pats rushed 438 times for 1,764 yards (4.0 per carry), good for 20th in the NFL. NYG rushed 411 times for 1,427 yards (3.5 per carry), dead last in the NFL. Not sure why teams would respect their play action and not New England's?"  ~muzwell

Not that it matters much on this forum, IF you trully would like what constitutes an "accurate" answer to your querry, I'll provide you with 1:

NE's Week 9 O-look against NY vs. NE's SB O-Look against NY, as it relates to How The Giants D squared-up pre-snap in both, is extremely similiar upon 1st glance.  But in actuality, NE's O-Look during this past SB is- and will prove to be, A close parrallel of the former, yet one that offers a completely different play-package based on Josh McD's designs and intents...and intents for this year's O.

NE will NOT be "cutting ALL their fullbacks."  Yup, they're injured (nearly every one I believe), yet they are, will be, and WERE in preseason game #1, the precise thing that I stated that Belichick and McDaniels hoped to deploy (for further knowledge, see either my post in the back thread: "2012- year of the TE", and/or a TE-based thread within 1 or 2 days of this thread in question).  

It was refreshing to see a FB on the field and to see this team working on the run in game 1. I wonder if Hernandez may actually be used as the 2nd FB? I am talking 50 rushing att's, 30 receptions out of the back field, couple of lead blocks, motions out to either side of the line to for a power run next to Gronk. So many possibilities with this guys very unique set of skills.
    Belichick and McDaniels are attempting to intertwine the the role that the FB had demonstratively landed squarely in through the 80's, 90's and first half of this decade (i.e. a lead-blocking wrecking ball for the running game only), INTO a union with the player position on the Offensive side of the football, which had unseated the FBs primary useage on the field of play (i.e. A 2nd pass-catching TE in the mold of the Dallas Clark/Aaron Hernandez types...A 2nd TE, which offered an exceptionally greater number of O-groupings package designs, relative to the very real threat of the coverage mismatches afforded through this shiftier pass-catching 2nd TE).
    See above..
    1 role now- FB + 2nd Pass-catching TE=1 guy.  First illustrated through Hern's sudden 8 carries from scrimmage during these past playoffs, Belichick's sudden brain-boggling accumulation of 3, even 4 FB-first players during this past offseason, and exemplified in the first preseason game (Especially, as it relates to utilizing it under Mallet and Hoyer from the 2nd quarter onward, in their attempt to see how this completely new group of O-personell can function and hopefully, WILL function come season start...without giving anything too much away this early in the 2012 game).  

...And you saw it.  Ya might not know ya did, But you saw it.We saw it, and for one of the 1st times in the last 2 years.  Kettani going into motion from the lead-blocking role, and then suddenly swinging out from a package which initially and for all intents and purposes looked "Big" (e.g. "pound the ball big")- INTO unbelievably, a 5th(!) eligible receiver (a few times too). Using the offensive personnel to catch the defense out of position...truly one of the most important jobs of the offensive coordinator.  In 1 instance he flanked the middle of 3 wideout set-up on the strongside, while NE's 2 other eligibles on the other side were either Gronk <i.e. bigger TE /> (slighly off the line, in the position of the rightmost player in prolate's bottom screenshot, for instance), and Hern as the far eligible on the weakside (or vice-versa...yea-Gronk split wide w/ Hern up and very slightly off the LOS); I believe that the other 5 eligible formation w/ NE's FB either motioning into the pass-catching spot on the LOS, or just squaring up into it after the break of the huddle, featured 3 eligibles on the strongside (w/ FB in the middle again), a wideout as the far flanker on this 3 man side, and the interior guy (just off the line, but as the innermost strongside guy of these 3 eligibles) being Gronk <i.e. whomever was the true standard big 1st TE />; While the other side featured Vareen + 1 WR.

^ And this is a nightmare to try to defend.  ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE.  Wadd'ya gonna waste a good coverage Safety and/or nickel back on NE's FB...NE's FB whom is not solely- NOT coming out of the backfield after the snap, but has aligned himself directly in between 2 more Pats Eligible receivers on the wider expanse of the strongside more open room of the field?  Yup, you can do this w/ your Safety/Nickelback <that is, cover the hybrid FB/Pass-catching TE that aligns here />...the result is that you'll be leaving ANY ONE...and in MANY instances- 2 of NE's other pass-catching options 1 on 1= Lloyd, Gronk, Vareen/Ridley, and/or the 2nd of NE's other actual wideout.  The result is less backfield and/or pass-coverage help. This gives an entire new dimesnion to the offense. It really makes us almost impossible to cover. "The field will be open"

Here, this'll help-  What NE's utilizing:  5 O-Linemen, 1 Quarterback, 2 TE's (1 standard TE, and 1 as a pass-catching TE/lead-blocking FB hybrid), 1 RB, and 2 Wideouts.
    Additional notes to key in to:  You are subbing, and you HAVE to sub now with this set-up=VERY LITTLE.
         You see that the opposing D is using their base package (i.e. they look "Big"; groupings of bigger guys)- Bring in Vareen/Woodhead...An utter nightmare-  Too much speed and space to exploit with NE's personell of Gronk/Hernandez/Lloyd/Gafney/Vareen-  1 audible setting NE's backfield into motion and split out as pass-catchers, and these 5 guys would simply KILL a D which is employing their big base personell package of players here.Impossible to defend. 
         You see the opposing D using a sub-package (i.e. In today's NFL, 90% of the time- Smaller groupings of personell); Ex: A "Big Nickel": Rather than a standard Base of a 4-3 w/ 2 CBs and 2 S's, you've gone to A Defense far better to cover the pass-play: 4-2 <4 DL + 2 LBs vs 3 LBs /> w/ either 3 CBs and 2 S's or 2 CBs and 3 S's.  Smaller, faster Defense less exploitable to the pass-play, but now more exploitable to the O running the football.  Here:  Ridley/Bolden.  Which you witnessed, beit w/ Ridley (ideally here) or Vareen (ideally for the former).  BOTH work...and actually BOTH can offer up distinct advantages for either depending on the specific opponent's D players in either/or: Vs. a Big base D or a Smaller sub-package group of D guys.  EXAMPLE:  They're going small...you're rippin' them up: 4 D-Linemen, 2 LBs and 3 CBs and 2 Safeties.  Then you (NE) square up in THIS?!?:  5 man O-Line with Gronk directly on 1 side, side-by-side as a 3rd Blocker on 1 side, Hern/FB in either an I (lead-blocker) and/or swinging out into just off the LOS as illustrated in the bottomost left NE player (w/ his hand in the dirt, set just behind the LOS- bottom pic); 2 wideouts- Where you can offer the smallest, least adept at blocking out and cealing off his CB, split far wide, and NE's other wideout closer to the LOS and/or in motion initially wider then moving towards the LOS pre-snap)=NIGHTMARE.
    ^ THAT is a MASSIVE amount of muscle on The O side, EXTREMELY advantageous to run-blocking a smaller sub-package Defense.Then we gash a team with 3 or 4 straight runs until they either call a T.O or fake an injury. When is the last time you saw our offense run the ball more then 3 straight plays? As Tom Brady recently just said we need to "take what the defense gives us"

I could go on and on w/ varying looks.  1 more thing (made mention some time back, maybe that 2012 year of the TE area of time in threads)- It's NE's 2 wideouts.  NE will (and was) using-hmmm:  2 "Possession type" WRs.  Yes. 
    Call it what'you will...I call it:  1 short-mid range possession WR, and 1 mid-long range possession WR and type). 
    2 Shorter-Range Possession WR types:
    #1. Beit through an extended role of the slot types (Welkers + Edelmans + Ebners) frommore of a 5-10 yard pass-route role into more of a 7-14 yard route extension (with many more sideline oriented reads than simply undermining the short middle) <McDaniels first used this in our last SB, when Welker dropped that perfectly placed pinpoint precise ball...if you need more detail on this particular delusion, ask: prolate, pezz, babe, or bredu), OR #2. A Possession wideout found through the Gafney type of physical make-up.  Plays REAL long + light-footed (like the wideouts of yore whom would take ballerina lessons)- So light-footed, 1 tip-toe step out of their route break, and their entire body has shifted to their turns like as if Mass played no part in the equation- Same 7-14 yard routes with more emphasis placed on exploiting the pass-catch outside the numbers on the short-mid range field of play, yet without excluding short-midrange middle areas;
    2 "Longer" Range Possession WR types:
    #1. The bigger-'beefier' version of the "Slot" type receiver: Branch + Stallworth.  Shifty, quick, and far more sturdy in their physique and build (my apologies for calling Branch + Stallworth bigger "slot" guys, a misnomer except in this quick overview attempt alone);  10-12 yards +; Same emphasis look applies- A bit greater emphasis on mid-long range sideline routes, over middle of the field, YET much less-so vs the short-mid range guy, and not excluding the mid-deep middle of the field pass-catching attack 1 bit.
    #2.  The bigger-'even longer striding' version of the Gaf type of short-mid range possession type- Lloyd (Britt);  Same holds true- Light footed, extremely fluid and agile long-stridders- If Branch/Stallworth are the Welker/Edelman extended role on steroids, then the same applies here- Lloyd is the extension of the Gafney mold on steroids;  10-12 yards +...see above.  And just as you'd figure that the Edelman/Welker types differ from the Gaf role, in that a greater number of their routes would exploit the short middle vs the short sideline, the same applies here with The "deeper" possession Lloyd vs the "deeper" possession Branch/Stallworths (i.e. a greater emphasis on Lloyd's mid-longer range routes hedging to the sidelines, vs a slightly greater emphasis on Branch's/Stallworth's routes hedging inside the numbers in their mid-longer range routes);

^ And this WILL be what works best- 2 of each type.  Less #1 deep bomb WR Randy Moss 70 yarders (I pray), and Less #3 Slot receiver 3-7 yarders (in lieu of greater emphasises on the running game, as was the case in the recent past).

Yes!

By doing it this way- Utilizing a Gronk + Hern<FB+#2TE /> + RB- The very short-short middle passing game has 3 outlets, Thus: You MUST attempt to stretch the field so, yet you've fully alloted yourself the pretty amazing base lookings of a ball-control Offense (see preseason game drive stats in TOP in drives that didn't even result in going half the distance of the field, vs SB drive stats from NE that went much further in half the time- If you need more info on complimentary football, ask the 4 horsemen I mentioned above)Thank you for this. My favorite paragraph of this entire summation. I guess it either comes down to...getting this, or refusing to get this.

In the end, you are attempting to both exploit the opposing D's personell groupings with minimal change to your own (i.e. extreme schematic versatility using the least amount of change/subbing to your O players), AND to control the course of the gameplay with ball-control Offense, icing the opposing team's O, and affording rest to your own D, THROUGH the added use of the best schematic versatility you can deploy with the most similiar same players and player position groupings/types, AND to do so using high-percentage of success type of plays and player personells, ALL the WHILE using 1 package of players which can afford and be deployed in equally successful useages in the passing game AND the running game.  A Belichick Motto:  ADAPTABILITY...This wins.  YOU are have the FAR higher malleablity to change and adapt and exploit gameplay, than they do.  THEY have to adapt to you based on the exceptional degree of multi-dimensional things, looks, and plays you can do within the same Single Look.  Your 1 grouping of 11 guys on O have more versatlity and greater design exploitations than their 1 grouping of 11 guys on D.  They have to play your game and they have to adapt to you.   They are playing RE-active football.

Wait, never mind the above is my favorite.

~~~

HERE is what is ABSOLUTELY required:

Tom Brady- err, Tom Brady's Offensive Coordinator on NE, MUST teach Brady to BOTH stay under center within this schematic design of what McDaniel's is attempting to do here (I counted 4 or 5X during NE's 1st Offense plays during this preseaon game #1, when "NE's QB" was either: A /> In the shotgun and Did NOT pass, or B /> Under Center, and Did NOT hand the ball off in a running play)=In NO way, will this cut it, in terms of selling the fullest amount of multidimensional accounting for by the opposing D, in what NE's play-direction will be at the hike of the ball);  Again, I want to FULLY emphasize that I blame this solely on Josh McDaniels...and a little bit, on Devin McCourty as well.

NEXT, NE's "Quarterback Coach" MUST tell his Quarterback to: F##K!NG MAKE ANYTHING GREATER THAN A HALF-#SS#D Attempt at selling play-action.  In otherwords, to answer Muzwell's inquery:  I CAN SEE, right here, using that picture from a blimp in outter space, that NE's QB is standing MUCH more upright under center, in the play that he ends up passing the ball, As opposed to him hovering and crouching in a more complete fashion under center, In the play that he ends up handing the ball off.  Who else can see?  A:  The NYGs 2 Linebackers in both pics, whom BEFORE the ball is even hiked, are either backing up on their heels in order to defend the pass, and/or starting to begin their swing over to NE's greater probability of pass-catching play direction (i.e. the eligible receivers on the strongside of the bottommost pass-play picture).  LIKWISE, PRIOR TO the snap of the ball, These same 2 LBs are just beginning to crowd up right on their tip-toes leaning forward in anticipation of the run...ON THE RUNNING PLAY.  And yes, this is particularly more and more evident based on the total non-existance that NE's QB Coach is telling his QB, to sell play-action:  Same position in crouch effort over center, and if it's a pass-play?  DO NOT, merrily wisp 1 hand into the RBs gut as you are standing completely upright and already eyeing your receiving options (SEE preseason game, over and over, and over).  And when it's a run-play?  GET UP in your stance...SELL the PASS- LOOK downfield...and as quick as possible swoop down and shove the rock in your RBs gut.  Jesus.  Also:  There are most probably a few more "tells" that a Professional NFL Linebacker is privy to, vs. a Fan seeing a still-image from the space station.

Brady will remember. He was the best PA QB in the game the 1st half of his career. With the switch in offensive philosophy he probably lost a little bit of this aspect to his game. We have asked him in recent years to devote more attention to down field passing and less on ,multiple offensive groupings and much less of being under center.

NEXT, Bill Belichick MUST tell his O-Coordinator and QB Coach that he'd actually like for his Quarterback to "check down" to solely- and even just 1 MORE eligible receiver that, than the exact 1 that he's going to.  Example:  Brandon Lloyd pass play broken up over the deep middle of the field on the 1st drive.

I heard Scott Zolak in his new job breaking this very play down for us. I am paraphrasing here but Zolak said { You see Brady is locked in on Brandon Lloyd here, he may not have noticed the FB wide open in the flat that at least goes for a 20 yard gain as nobody was within 30 yards of him! He then summed it up by saying Brady is probably not used to having the FB in the game but he once made his reputation on "hitting the open guy" something I think N.E is trying to get back to this year!!!! WOHOOOO 

Go back and look to see if there is even 1 other pass-catching option that NE's QB is even ONCE glancing at over the course of that full play's span.  Now watch the whole drive, and key on this 1 simple thing: Whether or not NE's QB is telegraphing his inevitable pass direction from the get-go, the entire time.  This is occuring on FAR too many plays, over and over, and over.  THIS MUST STOP (No, this does not mean, that he I hate my quarterback, or that I'm not happy that he helped NE to 3 SBs in the first half of this previous decade, or that he is not pretty, or that he is fantasy stats can be counted on like the sun rising, in order to help people win money in office pools);Surprised

~~~

Also, NE's D unit is indeed a hybrid 3-4/4-3 Eagle defense (see the 1st post on the 2nd page of some Hightower thread some time back)-

You saw it more and more in the 2nd half of play-  A very symetrical looking 4-3 Defense:

WLB  MLB  SLB
          DE  DT    DT  DE

During this time, you saw NE's MLB pushing in between either side of both NE's DTs, BOTH threatening an interior between-the-tackles blitz, and/or standing up on the LOS and scooting either guy over a nudge (see alot of what Willie Mac used to do, on the WOLB spot)- With NE's remaining 2 LBs moving over to compensate towards the weaker remaining side.

Same design works (same base personell...see adaptability of NE's Offense up above)- As it can seamlessly meld into a 4-3 Over (D-Line is shifted "over" the strongside of the opposing O's O-Line-i.e. usually TE side) OR a 4-3 Under (D-line is shifted weakside, or "under the oppositions strongside TE O-Line heavy side)-

WLB   MLB   SLB
          DE   DT  DT   DE
                      OT-TE
    ...or thereabouts (LB's scissoring in exact opposite direction of D-Line's shift, w/ or w/out this weakside LB moving up to the LOS or simply staying back)

Vs.

WLB    MLB    SLB
    DE   DT  DT   DE 
                        OT-TE
    ...again...or "thereabouts"; Oftentimes, the SLB shifts directly over and on top of the oppositions TE, squaring up against him directly @ or on the LOS (saw this in droves, during last year's preseason contests in particular, as it appeared to be precisely where BB was heading prior to Haynesworth's laziness, Ellis's old-age decrepitness, and Buffalo's new 10 zillion dollar DE whom cannot play the run...ever-REAL bad);

What you should key on:  EXTREME adaptability between these multitude of looks using little to no changes in base personell specific players.  When spread out/prevent/late in the lead, key on Hightower at SLB being subbed in for a roving Safety of the Nate Ebner and Tavon Wilson and Josh Barret (if applicable) physical mold.
    What you should be concerned about watching Preseason Game #2:  Hightower is playing on his heels...  Again, All my apologies to those whom started 167 Hightower threads while discounting Chandler Jones based on how he looked with his pads off in the very first shorts and t-shirt OTAs (for more info on Jones, see the pre-draft thread on: "Patriots Reported interest in Syracuse's Chandler Jones").  Hightower MUST begin to show more force.  Quick Note: Jerod Mayo's a F##K#NG force of nature.  I've discounted his direct ability to offer game and/or drive-altering Impact Plays...it was warranted.  Lol...NOT Now...this guy apparently took offseason courses in pass-coverage w/ Deion Sanders while training to bulk up with member's of the World's Strongest man Competitors.  Should Hightower playing on his heels, overly concern you?  Nope...Preseason Game #1 from a Rook, and by the end, he was initiating contact as opposed to over and over and over falling back upon being contacted.  Still...just know that Hightower's role IS critical.  In this D look that BB's going with, Mayo WILL be on the weakside.  He's fast, and he needs to be there in his pass-coverage out onto the open flat as the play develops and a quick RB/TE moves into the open area.  Spikes can do the strong or MLB...Ya want him at MLB though, 'cause this guy has ZERO fear WHAT-soever about going head-first into a 6'6 330lb O-Linemen...or two.  Zero regard for permanent brain-damage in the slightest.  Hightower MUST be counted upon to be able seal that edge in THAT much open space and on the stronger side of the field of play-He MUST be able to turn the play inwards once and if that DE (not Jones...WDE more often ideally over Mayo's "smaller" LB side, although I saw a few variations w/ Jones as the SDE);  DH's pass-coverage abilities on the otherhand looked pretty d#mn good for a 6'3 265lb rookie Middle Linebacker in his 1st preseason matchup in pass-coverage vs Pro NFL'ers (which I would be more concerned about, if this was lacking). 

And that is that-  Note: I'm not sorry in the slightest to be an absolute PR!CK towards Fans whom are preset in their opinions and evaluations before any play on the field, and/or based not the play, series, and/or games which just occured, but based on the Randomly conjected QBR ratings for your fantasy game based on the full span of some regular season of even, current yore.  Everybody gets the EXACT same treatment from me, PER play and PER game.  If you are not playing 1 game, or lack in 1 series, or underproduce in 1 play, I don't care if you make 20 million a year and are a GQ cover whom won 87 superbowls for my team...I will unrepentantly eat you and any and every fan hanging of your j#ck strap and fantasy numbers, Alive.  ...And no, this doesn't apply towards those whom have totally and utterly stopped hearing or listening...The more times, I see you on here, becomes the more days that I won't be on here.  And I don't care if you like it or not...  I don't care if you think I'm being a "baby" or not....  I love this sport and I love my team, and there is no place in my world for those whom: Never see the fuller picture, care solely about those lesser details which they pray to mask the unbelievable !d!ocy of their completely preformed set-in-stone half-wrought ideas based on personel prefernce & favoritism backed up by a 2nd grader from Norway's interpretation of this game.

Yeah but McCourty suks....I read it.....somewhere.

-And yes truechamp, NE's QB Coach should've called an audible to run to the right side at the LOS-VERY exploitable with that D-Look.  Send either Gronk at the hike, swinging over and/or Gronk to set the edge with either or both of your LOG or LOT pulling to the right.  VERY open, and very undermanned in size-ratio w/ a run towards that size based on that D-Look, I'd count an easy 5-4 Offense-Defender advantage.

The run has been there against the gints. As evidenced by BJGE (an average talent) and his 22 carries for 96 yards in our last 2 games against the gints. I'll take those numbers any day, unfortunately we are still in the middle of a 135 pass to 55 run ratio in 3 losses in a row to this football team. Doesn't exactly scream variety in our offensive production.

And we wonder why the Giants didn't buy our play action from the 5 yard line?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

" Running the ball may have been an afterthought for the Pats, but then what would you call it for a team like the Giants that ran less and considerably less effectively? The Pats rushed 438 times for 1,764 yards (4.0 per carry), good for 20th in the NFL. NYG rushed 411 times for 1,427 yards (3.5 per carry), dead last in the NFL. Not sure why teams would respect their play action and not New England's ?"  ~muzwell Not that it matters much on this forum, IF you trully would like what constitutes an "accurate" answer to your querry, I'll provide you with 1: NE's Week 9 O-look against NY vs. NE's SB O-Look against NY, as it relates to How The Giants D squared-up pre-snap in both, is extremely similiar upon 1st glance.  But in actuality, NE's O-Look during this past SB is- and will prove to be, A close parrallel of the former, yet one that offers a completely different play-package based on Josh McD's designs and intents...and intents for this year's O. NE will NOT be "cutting ALL their fullbacks."  Yup, they're injured (nearly every one I believe), yet they are, will be, and WERE in preseason game #1, the precise thing that I stated that Belichick and McDaniels hoped to deploy (for further knowledge, see either my post in the back thread: "2012- year of the TE", and/or a TE-based thread within 1 or 2 days of this thread in question).   Belichick and McDaniels are attempting to intertwine the the role that the FB had demonstratively landed squarely in through the 80's, 90's and first half of this decade (i.e. a lead-blocking wrecking ball for the running game only), INTO a union with the player position on the Offensive side of the football, which had unseated the FBs primary useage on the field of play (i.e. A 2nd pass-catching TE in the mold of the Dallas Clark/Aaron Hernandez types...A 2nd TE, which offered an exceptionally greater number of O-groupings package designs, relative to the very real threat of the coverage mismatches afforded through this shiftier pass-catching 2nd TE). 1 role now- FB + 2nd Pass-catching TE=1 guy.  First illustrated through Hern's sudden 8 carries from scrimmage during these past playoffs, Belichick's sudden brain-boggling accumulation of 3, even 4 FB-first players during this past offseason, and exemplified in the first preseason game (Especially, as it relates to utilizing it under Mallet and Hoyer from the 2nd quarter onward, in their attempt to see how this completely new group of O-personell can function and hopefully, WILL function come season start...without giving anything too much away this early in the 2012 game).   ...And you saw it.  Ya might not know ya did, But you saw it.  Kettani going into motion from the lead-blocking role, and then suddenly swinging out from a package which initially and for all intents and purposes looked "Big" (e.g. "pound the ball big")- INTO unbelievably, a 5th(!) eligible receiver (a few times too).  In 1 instance he flanked the middle of 3 wideout set-up on the strongside, while NE's 2 other eligibles on the other side were either Gronk <i.e. bigger TE /> (slighly off the line, in the position of the rightmost player in prolate's bottom screenshot, for instance), and Hern as the far eligible on the weakside (or vice-versa...yea-Gronk split wide w/ Hern up and very slightly off the LOS); I believe that the other 5 eligible formation w/ NE's FB either motioning into the pass-catching spot on the LOS, or just squaring up into it after the break of the huddle, featured 3 eligibles on the strongside (w/ FB in the middle again), a wideout as the far flanker on this 3 man side, and the interior guy (just off the line, but as the innermost strongside guy of these 3 eligibles) being Gronk <i.e. whomever was the true standard big 1st TE />; While the other side featured Vareen + 1 WR. ^ And this is a nightmare to try to defend.  ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE.  Wadd'ya gonna waste a good coverage Safety and/or nickel back on NE's FB...NE's FB whom is not solely- NOT coming out of the backfield after the snap, but has aligned himself directly in between 2 more Pats Eligible receivers on the wider expanse of the strongside more open room of the field?  Yup, you can do this w/ your Safety/Nickelback <that is, cover the hybrid FB/Pass-catching TE that aligns here />...the result is that you'll be leaving ANY ONE...and in MANY instances- 2 of NE's other pass-catching options 1 on 1= Lloyd, Gronk, Vareen/Ridley, and/or the 2nd of NE's other actual wideout.  The result is less backfield and/or pass-coverage help.    Here, this'll help-  What NE's utilizing:  5 O-Linemen, 1 Quarterback, 2 TE's (1 standard TE, and 1 as a pass-catching TE/lead-blocking FB hybrid), 1 RB, and 2 Wideouts. Additional notes to key in to:  You are subbing, and you HAVE to sub now with this set-up=VERY LITTLE.      You see that the opposing D is using their base package (i.e. they look "Big"; groupings of bigger guys)- Bring in Vareen/Woodhead...An utter nightmare-  Too much speed and space to exploit with NE's personell of Gronk/Hernandez/Lloyd/Gafney/Vareen-  1 audible setting NE's backfield into motion and split out as pass-catchers, and these 5 guys would simply KILL a D which is employing their big base personell package of players here.        You see the opposing D using a sub-package (i.e. In today's NFL, 90% of the time- Smaller groupings of personell); Ex: A "Big Nickel": Rather than a standard Base of a 4-3 w/ 2 CBs and 2 S's, you've gone to A Defense far better to cover the pass-play: 4-2 <4 DL + 2 LBs vs 3 LBs /> w/ either 3 CBs and 2 S's or 2 CBs and 3 S's.  Smaller, faster Defense less exploitable to the pass-play, but now more exploitable to the O running the football.  Here:  Ridley/Bolden.  Which you witnessed, beit w/ Ridley (ideally here) or Vareen (ideally for the former).  BOTH work...and actually BOTH can offer up distinct advantages for either depending on the specific opponent's D players in either/or: Vs. a Big base D or a Smaller sub-package group of D guys.  EXAMPLE:  They're going small...you're rippin' them up: 4 D-Linemen, 2 LBs and 3 CBs and 2 Safeties.  Then you (NE) square up in THIS?!?:  5 man O-Line with Gronk directly on 1 side, side-by-side as a 3rd Blocker on 1 side, Hern/FB in either an I (lead-blocker) and/or swinging out into just off the LOS as illustrated in the bottomost left NE player (w/ his hand in the dirt, set just behind the LOS- bottom pic); 2 wideouts- Where you can offer the smallest, least adept at blocking out and cealing off his CB, split far wide, and NE's other wideout closer to the LOS and/or in motion initially wider then moving towards the LOS pre-snap)=NIGHTMARE. ^ THAT is a MASSIVE amount of muscle on The O side, EXTREMELY advantageous to run-blocking a smaller sub-package Defense. I could go on and on w/ varying looks.  1 more thing (made mention some time back, maybe that 2012 year of the TE area of time in threads)- It's NE's 2 wideouts.  NE will (and was) using-hmmm:  2 "Possession type" WRs.  Yes.  Call it what'you will...I call it:  1 short-mid range possession WR, and 1 mid-long range possession WR and type).  2 Shorter-Range Possession WR types: #1. Beit through an extended role of the slot types (Welkers + Edelmans + Ebners) frommore of a 5-10 yard pass-route role into more of a 7-14 yard route extension (with many more sideline oriented reads than simply undermining the short middle) <McDaniels first used this in our last SB, when Welker dropped that perfectly placed pinpoint precise ball...if you need more detail on this particular delusion, ask: prolate, pezz, babe, or bredu), OR #2. A Possession wideout found through the Gafney type of physical make-up.  Plays REAL long + light-footed (like the wideouts of yore whom would take ballerina lessons)- So light-footed, 1 tip-toe step out of their route break, and their entire body has shifted to their turns like as if Mass played no part in the equation- Same 7-14 yard routes with more emphasis placed on exploiting the pass-catch outside the numbers on the short-mid range field of play, yet without excluding short-midrange middle areas; 2 "Longer" Range Possession WR types: #1. The bigger-'beefier' version of the "Slot" type receiver: Branch + Stallworth.  Shifty, quick, and far more sturdy in their physique and build (my apologies for calling Branch + Stallworth bigger "slot" guys, a misnomer except in this quick overview attempt alone);  10-12 yards +; Same emphasis look applies- A bit greater emphasis on mid-long range sideline routes, over middle of the field, YET much less-so vs the short-mid range guy, and not excluding the mid-deep middle of the field pass-catching attack 1 bit. #2.  The bigger-'even longer striding' version of the Gaf type of short-mid range possession type- Lloyd (Britt);  Same holds true- Light footed, extremely fluid and agile long-stridders- If Branch/Stallworth are the Welker/Edelman extended role on steroids, then the same applies here- Lloyd is the extension of the Gafney mold on steroids;  10-12 yards +...see above.  And just as you'd figure that the Edelman/Welker types differ from the Gaf role, in that a greater number of their routes would exploit the short middle vs the short sideline, the same applies here with The "deeper" possession Lloyd vs the "deeper" possession Branch/Stallworths (i.e. a greater emphasis on Lloyd's mid-longer range routes hedging to the sidelines, vs a slightly greater emphasis on Branch's/Stallworth's routes hedging inside the numbers in their mid-longer range routes); ^ And this WILL be what works best- 2 of each type.  Less #1 deep bomb WR Randy Moss 70 yarders (I pray), and Less #3 Slot receiver 3-7 yarders (in lieu of greater emphasises on the running game, as was the case in the recent past).  By doing it this way- Utilizing a Gronk + Hern<FB+#2TE /> + RB- The very short-short middle passing game has 3 outlets, Thus: You MUST attempt to stretch the field so, yet you've fully alloted yourself the pretty amazing base lookings of a ball-control Offense (see preseason game drive stats in TOP in drives that didn't even result in going half the distance of the field, vs SB drive stats from NE that went much further in half the time- If you need more info on complimentary football, ask the 4 horsemen I mentioned above).  In the end, you are attempting to both exploit the opposing D's personell groupings with minimal change to your own (i.e. extreme schematic versatility using the least amount of change/subbing to your O players), AND to control the course of the gameplay with ball-control Offense, icing the opposing team's O, and affording rest to your own D, THROUGH the added use of the best schematic versatility you can deploy with the most similiar same players and player position groupings/types, AND to do so using high-percentage of success type of plays and player personells, ALL the WHILE using 1 package of players which can afford and be deployed in equally successful useages in the passing game AND the running game.  A Belichick Motto:  ADAPTABILITY...This wins.  YOU are have the FAR higher malleablity to change and adapt and exploit gameplay, than they do.  THEY have to adapt to you based on the exceptional degree of multi-dimensional things, looks, and plays you can do within the same Single Look.  Your 1 grouping of 11 guys on O have more versatlity and greater design exploitations than their 1 grouping of 11 guys on D.  They have to play your game and they have to adapt to you.   They are playing RE-active football. ~~~ HERE is what is ABSOLUTELY required: Tom Brady- err, Tom Brady's Offensive Coordinator on NE, MUST teach Brady to BOTH stay under center within this schematic design of what McDaniel's is attempting to do here (I counted 4 or 5X during NE's 1st Offense plays during this preseaon game #1, when "NE's QB" was either: A /> In the shotgun and Did NOT pass, or B /> Under Center, and Did NOT hand the ball off in a running play)=In NO way, will this cut it, in terms of selling the fullest amount of multidimensional accounting for by the opposing D, in what NE's play-direction will be at the hike of the ball);  Again, I want to FULLY emphasize that I blame this solely on Josh McDaniels...and a little bit, on Devin McCourty as well. NEXT, NE's "Quarterback Coach" MUST tell his Quarterback to: F##K!NG MAKE ANYTHING GREATER THAN A HALF-#SS#D Attempt at selling play-action.  In otherwords, to answer Muzwell's inquery:  I CAN SEE, right here, using that picture from a blimp in outter space, that NE's QB is standing MUCH more upright under center, in the play that he ends up passing the ball, As opposed to him hovering and crouching in a more complete fashion under center, In the play that he ends up handing the ball off.  Who else can see?  A:  The NYGs 2 Linebackers in both pics, whom BEFORE the ball is even hiked, are either backing up on their heels in order to defend the pass, and/or starting to begin their swing over to NE's greater probability of pass-catching play direction (i.e. the eligible receivers on the strongside of the bottommost pass-play picture).  LIKWISE, PRIOR TO the snap of the ball, These same 2 LBs are just beginning to crowd up right on their tip-toes leaning forward in anticipation of the run...ON THE RUNNING PLAY.  And yes, this is particularly more and more evident based on the total non-existance that NE's QB Coach is telling his QB, to sell play-action:  Same position in crouch effort over center, and if it's a pass-play?  DO NOT, merrily wisp 1 hand into the RBs gut as you are standing completely upright and already eyeing your receiving options (SEE preseason game, over and over, and over).  And when it's a run-play?  GET UP in your stance...SELL the PASS- LOOK downfield...and as quick as possible swoop down and shove the rock in your RBs gut.  Jesus.  Also:  There are most probably a few more "tells" that a Professional NFL Linebacker is privy to, vs. a Fan seeing a still-image from the space station. NEXT, Bill Belichick MUST tell his O-Coordinator and QB Coach that he'd actually like for his Quarterback to "check down" to solely- and even just 1 MORE eligible receiver that, than the exact 1 that he's going to.  Example:  Brandon Lloyd pass play broken up over the deep middle of the field on the 1st drive.  Go back and look to see if there is even 1 other pass-catching option that NE's QB is even ONCE glancing at over the course of that full play's span.  Now watch the whole drive, and key on this 1 simple thing: Whether or not NE's QB is telegraphing his inevitable pass direction from the get-go, the entire time.  This is occuring on FAR too many plays, over and over, and over.  THIS MUST STOP (No, this does not mean, that he I hate my quarterback, or that I'm not happy that he helped NE to 3 SBs in the first half of this previous decade, or that he is not pretty, or that he is fantasy stats can be counted on like the sun rising, in order to help people win money in office pools); ~~~ Also, NE's D unit is indeed a hybrid 3-4/4-3 Eagle defense (see the 1st post on the 2nd page of some Hightower thread some time back)- You saw it more and more in the 2nd half of play-  A very symetrical looking 4-3 Defense:        WLB  MLB  SLB       DE  DT    DT  DE During this time, you saw NE's MLB pushing in between either side of both NE's DTs, BOTH threatening an interior between-the-tackles blitz, and/or standing up on the LOS and scooting either guy over a nudge (see alot of what Willie Mac used to do, on the WOLB spot)- With NE's remaining 2 LBs moving over to compensate towards the weaker remaining side. Same design works (same base personell...see adaptability of NE's Offense up above)- As it can seamlessly meld into a 4-3 Over (D-Line is shifted "over" the strongside of the opposing O's O-Line-i.e. usually TE side) OR a 4-3 Under (D-line is shifted weakside, or "under the oppositions strongside TE O-Line heavy side)-    WLB   MLB   SLB       DE   DT  DT   DE                   OT-TE ...or thereabouts (LB's scissoring in exact opposite direction of D-Line's shift, w/ or w/out this weakside LB moving up to the LOS or simply staying back) Vs.     WLB    MLB    SLB DE   DT  DT   DE                      OT-TE ...again...or "thereabouts"; Oftentimes, the SLB shifts directly over and on top of the oppositions TE, squaring up against him directly @ or on the LOS (saw this in droves, during last year's preseason contests in particular, as it appeared to be precisely where BB was heading prior to Haynesworth's laziness, Ellis's old-age decrepitness, and Buffalo's new 10 zillion dollar DE whom cannot play the run...ever-REAL bad); What you should key on:  EXTREME adaptability between these multitude of looks using little to no changes in base personell specific players.  When spread out/prevent/late in the lead, key on Hightower at SLB being subbed in for a roving Safety of the Nate Ebner and Tavon Wilson and Josh Barret (if applicable) physical mold. What you should be concerned about watching Preseason Game #2:  Hightower is playing on his heels...  Again, All my apologies to those whom started 167 Hightower threads while discounting Chandler Jones based on how he looked with his pads off in the very first shorts and t-shirt OTAs (for more info on Jones, see the pre-draft thread on: "Patriots Reported interest in Syracuse's Chandler Jones").  Hightower MUST begin to show more force.  Quick Note: Jerod Mayo's a F##K#NG force of nature.  I've discounted his direct ability to offer game and/or drive-altering Impact Plays...it was warranted.  Lol...NOT Now...this guy apparently took offseason courses in pass-coverage w/ Deion Sanders while training to bulk up with member's of the World's Strongest man Competitors.  Should Hightower playing on his heels, overly concern you?  Nope...Preseason Game #1 from a Rook, and by the end, he was initiating contact as opposed to over and over and over falling back upon being contacted.  Still...just know that Hightower's role IS critical.  In this D look that BB's going with, Mayo WILL be on the weakside.  He's fast, and he needs to be there in his pass-coverage out onto the open flat as the play develops and a quick RB/TE moves into the open area.  Spikes can do the strong or MLB...Ya want him at MLB though, 'cause this guy has ZERO fear WHAT-soever about going head-first into a 6'6 330lb O-Linemen...or two.  Zero regard for permanent brain-damage in the slightest.  Hightower MUST be counted upon to be able seal that edge in THAT much open space and on the stronger side of the field of play-He MUST be able to turn the play inwards once and if that DE (not Jones...WDE more often ideally over Mayo's "smaller" LB side, although I saw a few variations w/ Jones as the SDE);  DH's pass-coverage abilities on the otherhand looked pretty d#mn good for a 6'3 265lb rookie Middle Linebacker in his 1st preseason matchup in pass-coverage vs Pro NFL'ers (which I would be more concerned about, if this was lacking).    And that is that-  Note: I'm not sorry in the slightest to be an absolute PR!CK towards Fans whom are preset in their opinions and evaluations before any play on the field, and/or based not the play, series, and/or games which just occured, but based on the Randomly conjected QBR ratings for your fantasy game based on the full span of some regular season of even, current yore.  Everybody gets the EXACT same treatment from me, PER play and PER game.  If you are not playing 1 game, or lack in 1 series, or underproduce in 1 play, I don't care if you make 20 million a year and are a GQ cover whom won 87 superbowls for my team...I will unrepentantly eat you and any and every fan hanging of your j#ck strap and fantasy numbers, Alive.  ...And no, this doesn't apply towards those whom have totally and utterly stopped hearing or listening...The more times, I see you on here, becomes the more days that I won't be on here.  And I don't care if you like it or not...  I don't care if you think I'm being a "baby" or not....  I love this sport and I love my team, and there is no place in my world for those whom: Never see the fuller picture, care solely about those lesser details which they pray to mask the unbelievable !d!ocy of their completely preformed set-in-stone half-wrought ideas based on personel prefernce & favoritism backed up by a 2nd grader from Norway's interpretation of this game.                 -And yes truechamp, NE's QB Coach should've called an audible to run to the right side at the LOS-VERY exploitable with that D-Look.  Send either Gronk at the hike, swinging over and/or Gronk to set the edge with either or both of your LOG or LOT pulling to the right.  VERY open, and very undermanned in size-ratio w/ a run towards that size based on that D-Look, I'd count an easy 5-4 Offense-Defender advantage.
    Posted by LazarusintheSanatorium

Excellent assesment Laz, and your right, in that second picture Brady is standing much more upright as if to pass. Thanks for taking the time to write all of this, very good read, excellent information. 

Sections
Shortcuts