Waters Nameplate has been removed.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

Re: Waters Nameplate has been removed.

my point is he plays for us or he plays for no one....thats tough on a 36 year old that knows the window is closing , or closed and thats why the Pats wont pay him more. He is good no doubt but so where the other all pro's we shipped around the NFL for not getting on board. The heck with him . The train is leaving ......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Apparently Waters didn't like being away from his family in KC either.  Big difference between KC and Boston, though, is that the flight between KC and Dallas is just over an hour while the flight between Boston and Dallas is around four hours.  I suspect Waters quickly realized last year that short trips home that maybe were feasible when in KC were impossible from Boston.  That probably made him sour on playing up North.  He's older than Matt Light and been in the league longer, so he's really on the cusp of retirement.  I suspect he'd like to play another year, but just doesn't want to do it in a city as far from home as Boston.  Hence the stalemate.  Since he's under contract, he has no way to do what most of us could do--quit our current job and go look for another one closer to home.  He's completely dependent on either the Pats releasing him (which they apparently don't want to do) or trading him to a team closer to his home (which the Pats either don't want to do or can't do). It seems from what's leaked out, that Waters and the Pats have been in discussion and each understand their respective positions.  The fact that the Pats aren't fining him suggests to me that Waters told the Pats he'd go ahead and retire (which he has the perfect right to do) if the Pats wouldn't release him or trade him to a location closer to home.  The Pats probably came back and said, why don't you reconsider retiring because we need you.  We'll refrain from fining you and leave the option open for you to come back.  That's probably left things at a stalemate that neither party is completely happy with. My guess is the Pats will look for someone to trade him to for a low round draft pick or they'll just hold on to his contract for the year and start to fine him only if they get to a point where they need additional O-line support and really need Waters to come back.  Until either of those things happen, the stalemate is likely to continue.  

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from ajaym. Show ajaym's posts

In response to viewer222's comment:

Boston Herald is crap reporting - Boston.com seems more like the Pats. It seems to me that the Pats were offering Waters a way to make more money, with simple strings attached - play games and more snaps. It appears that he could stick to his original contract but does not get any chance of making more with the changed contract.

I find it very hard to belive the Pats would nickel & dime a very good player that they need.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

A lot of the restructuring the Pats do is simply for salary cap reasons.  In most cases the players end up with the same amount of money.  The exception is sometimes for marginal players who they might cut if they can't renegotiate.  I really don't think Bob Kraft is so concerned with saving dollars (he doesn't seem cheap to me with his players)--I just think that the team is very conscientious about managing the salary cap well and they are always asking the question "Is this player providing sufficient value for his salary cap cost?"  Real cost isn't an issue . . . just salary cap cost (and those are different, though related, things). 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from soups. Show soups's posts

Their ability to go the the SB depends largely on the play of their O Line.  They need Waters or a reasonable facsimile.  Doubt we see him.