Waters.....yes, no, maybe?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

Waters.....yes, no, maybe?

Ok...so here we are a little over a week before our opener....and Waters isn't here yet. Of course a large majority still seem to think he's coming back....I'm one of them. I also think he (hopefully) will be able to step in and make a difference in securing this OL.

My questions are this....

Is staying out of training camp something that effects the attitude of other players? Do other players possibly look at Waters as someone that should be there no matter how many season he has behind him? I personally think NOBODY should get a free ride.

Secondly....can this guy come in and be effective with no practice at all with Josh running the show? Surely the play calling is going to change from Obrien to McD.....is this guy so good he'll be able to just pick up and be effective?

Curious to what others think. Obviously BB knows what he's doing better than any of us ever will....but I guess I just don't understand the benefit of keeping a guy out until last second....no matter how much time he's put in as an NFL player. Either you play with the team...or you don't.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from murghkhor. Show murghkhor's posts

Re: Waters.....yes, no, maybe?

In response to Waters.....yes, no, maybe?:

Ok...so here we are a little over a week before our opener....and Waters isn't here yet. Of course a large majority still seem to think he's coming back....I'm one of them. I also think he (hopefully) will be able to step in and make a difference in securing this OL.

Is staying out of training camp something that effects the attitude of other players? Do other players possibly look at Waters as someone that should be there no matter how many season he has behind him? I personally think NOBODY should get a free ride.

Secondly....can this guy come in and be effective with no practice at all with Josh running the show? Surely the play calling is going to change from Obrien to McD.....is this guy so good he'll be able to just pick up and be effective?

Curious to what others think. Obviously BB knows what he's doing better than any of us ever will....but I guess I just don't understand the benefit of keeping a guy out until last second....no matter how much time he's put in as an NFL player. Either you play with the team...or you don't.

He's not coming. Give up the ghost and move on. 

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking12. Show harleyroadking12's posts

it is bothersome that Waters can assume that he has roster spot with no training camp. By all means let him come back but he has to prove himself conditionally and mentally. The O-line is worrisome, I hope they run the ball more having this group drop back 50/60 times a game is a recipe for disaster.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

I don't think he will be back.  I doubt he would be away this long thinking he can come right in and play.  Even a vet knows he can't do that.  Pretty sure he can't get in game shape being away from the game like he has been.  What kind of teammate would do this?

Too bad, he could have helped the team a lot.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

I thought for sure he would be back right after camp broke.  Now, since he still isn't around I'm not to confident that he will show.   Hmmmmmm, very strange.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I'm not ready to give up the ghost just yet but time is critical here. It is curious that there has been no news, no retirement announcement, no release, nothing. If he shows it will have to be soon.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

One thing that keeps racking my brain about the whole thing is BB never actively looked for a replacement. General if BB has concerns about a position where players are in doubt he brings in a ton of guys to give them looks. He's done that with TE, WR, T, DT, CB but not with G. To me that suggests that he knows Waters is coming back and isn't overly concern with the RG position

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

[QUOTE]

One thing that keeps racking my brain about the whole thing is BB never actively looked for a replacement. General if BB has concerns about a position where players are in doubt he brings in a ton of guys to give them looks. He's done that with TE, WR, T, DT, CB but not with G. To me that suggests that he knows Waters is coming back and isn't overly concern with the RG position

[/QUOTE   plus Waters still has his locker in tact. you would think aplayer that wasnt coming back wouldnt have his locker. The gy is making somewhere near the minimum to play at a probowl guard level. He scratches our back, we scratch his. Waters will be here soon i would think.]

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

I never know what to expect out of Foxboro.

Can a 10+ year veteran and multiple pro bowler come in after the 4th preseason game and be effective? Absolutely. He's an olineman, not a WR or RB. He would immediately be the eldest member of the line, and the most accomplished. If he comes back, yeah, I think he can walk right on the field and play. That's under the assumption that if he DOES come back, he has kept himself in shape.

He's, what? 35? If he plays, this WILL be his last year, if he didn't have to, why would a veteran, proven player need to go through camp? I guarantee he could step on the field, understand every call, and not miss an assignment.

I want to point out, nowhere is Waters claiming to expect a roster spot, don't turn him into a bad guy.

Finally, I go back to old friend Roman Phifer. The year he never showed up, They left his locker intact all season, possibly into next preseason hoping he would come back. He never did. The season BEFORE, he also did the "no preseason" thing and showed up.

Given that Waters played his career in KC without sniffing the playoffs, then plays in NE one season and losses in the SB...I think he comes back. Maybe even a few weeks into the season, but I don't think he gets THAT close, and doesn't give it a shot one more time.

If anything, him NOT being here has given the Pats the time they need to sort out the rest of the OLine. Waters is a known commoddity, seemingly the ONLY one on the line.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I give it till Friday. If he's not here on Friday there might be something up. Friday would give him a week to pass physicals, get into somewhat of football shape, and get some practice in with the rest of the line. Past that there might not be enough time to get ready for the first game

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from TitleTown11. Show TitleTown11's posts

He still has a locker...until he doesn't, I will assume he will return. I don't expect him to step in Week 1 and start the entire game. I expect that he will be given limited snaps in the first few weeks to build stamina so that he will last the season (similar to BB's handling of D-Lineman last year). Koppen, Connolly, Mankins, Cannon will handle the majority of the interior line early with Wendell, Waters, and McDonald hopefully available to rotate in as injuries and fatigue set in.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from coolade2. Show coolade2's posts

What's the deal with Brian waters...?  the guy has definitely earned some slack but this no-show , man of mystery stuff gets old ( like his 35 y.o. body in football years). 

That said , give him a deadline like this Sunday . Then fill his roster  spot.  You don't want it to become a distraction during the season ...

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from palookaski. Show palookaski's posts

Why is it that every reporter in America can dig up TMZ-style dirt on the Red Sox, but nobody knows what's going on with Waters??

Hahahaa ...thanks for the laugh but it's true! One would think that some reporter even from his own home town would have seen him work out and ask a question or two.

They do zip it up in Foxboro. It's also kinda funny when a few days ago his coach Dante Scar had an interview about the O'line and not a word was said about Waters. It must have been agreed up front that the question would not be asked? My feel on this is that He will show after the final 53 plays a coupla weeks and BB does a final trim on the roster to make room .... very wise move.

Take care all ....

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Why is it that every reporter in America can dig up TMZ-style dirt on the Red Sox, but nobody knows what's going on with Waters??

No doubt!  Why aren't Patriots reporters at his house, following him around town seeing if he is doing any workouts or if he is at McDanolds every morning pigging out on the BIG BREAKFAST before he goes to redbox and rents a days full of movies.  Man, aren't there Patriots paparazzi's out there anywhere?  Last I heard several weeks ago was that he still had a locker.  But that was a couple weeks ago, has anyone reported that this is still the case?

I'm almost ready to hire a PI to track him down and follow him around because I'm very curious about him.  Apparently the reporters aren't, Strange! 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsman3. Show Patsman3's posts

Isn't he under contract for this year?  If he doesn't come in does he have to officially retire? or is he just holding out? 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

I think it's important to note that Waters' absence is excused.
    http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/blitz/index.php/2012/07/26/bill-belichick-says-brian-waters-absence-has-been-excused/

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I think it's important to note that Waters' absence is excused.
    http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/sports/blitz/index.php/2012/07/26/bill-belichick-says-brian-waters-absence-has-been-excused/

I think that's what most of us assumed, just nice to have it confirmed

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I still think that he returns, and by Wednesday either way we will know in a few days.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Because in the Red Sox there are leaks from the ownership group down to the kid they pay to clean up peanut shells from under the seats at Fenway but Kraft has a specialty built prison BB designed to hold people indefinitely if they even comment about what color the urinal pucks are

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

First question- I don't think it's a good overall practice to give a guy a pass and from the way BB has operated I don't think he likes the practice either but BB has certainly surprised us before.

Second- I have no doubt he can be effective.  I think the difference between Josh and Obrien is less than the difference between the Chiefs and Pats last year when he came in four days before the first game.  I believe by game 2 he was tapping Koppen on the shoulder to tell him when to snap the ball because he knew the play book that well.  

I don't don't think BB wanted to keep him out I think it's all Waters and may have even been a condition of him joining.  Remember last year he was cut before camp started and was a multi pro bowler and all pro and still waited until after the preseason to sign with a team for low money despite being easily the best free agent lineman available all through free agency.

Supposedly Haley did not like his habit of never doing voluntary workouts leading to his separation from the Chiefs but he was still an All Pro for many years without those workouts.

I don't know if he's coming back though, strange that BB would allow him to skip but also strange that he would not have retired.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

I meant Connely not Koppen, bring back edit.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

His absence up till now did benifit the team, as far as the extra roster spot. He has proved he could show late and still preform at a high level. And who knows, there may have been a wink nod deal between him and BB that if the OL did not need him, he would enjoy his temporary retirement. And if the team needed him he could return after cuts. I would expect that decision to come after the final cuts Friday night. One more factor, if the team feels they can get by with out him. he could still sit on the did not report list. to finaly report if an injury happens. Seems to me BB may have found a loophole to keeping a shadow roster under contract. We will have a better feel for the situation soon. And if BB has stached him away in case of emergency, what would you expect him to say...Yea I have found a loophole to maintaining a shadow roster...

Wow just had a problem with posting the word ho1e,only with the l instesd of the 1, cant figure that one out

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE   plus Waters still has his locker in tact. you would think aplayer that wasnt coming back wouldnt have his locker. The gy is making somewhere near the minimum to play at a probowl guard level. He scratches our back, we scratch his. Waters will be here soon i would think

BB swung and missed on his replacement.....Gallery

Sections
Shortcuts