WATSON IS A GONER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

Re: WATSON IS A GONER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In Response to Re: WATSON IS A GONER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:
    We should get atleast a 2nd rounder for him and maybe a 5th best case scenario, his hands are something that can be fixed with some practice. Other than that he has all the tools a receiving tight end needs.
    Posted by DrDoItchBig

Funniest thing I've read in a while.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

Hey, I have season tickets to the New England Patriots(western mass). I always go with my brother, but he can't make it this year, so I am looking for someone to go with me. I don't tailgate, I just watch the game and go home. Leave me your Email and I'll let U no.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

In Response to Re: WATSON IS A GONER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : they could also see alot of value in him, what was Randy Moss to the league before we got him? a has-been whose skills diminished completely. what did Bill and the rest of the Patriots organization see that made him worth going after in a trade? I'm just saying it wouldn't feel too nice letting a player selected that high go for so little and then him somehow become a beast in some other system like Randy became here.
    Posted by DrDoItchBig

The man's been in the league for what, 6 years, and he's still dropping passes on a regular basis. Ridiculous. Not only that but he doesn't seem real concerned about it. He never does extra work in the off season. Send him packing as far as I'm concerned. We'd be lucky to get a 4th for him.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from RobertBro. Show RobertBro's posts

What no one has mentioned is that Watson's speed alone is an asset for the offense.  Think about Randy Moss sprinting down the sideline every play and how opens up everything else for the offense even if he doesn't get all the catches, stats or recognition from casual fans.  Watson can outrun just about any linebacker.  As a DC, you can't just let him run past the linebacker and assume we won't throw it to him, or that he'll drop it if we do.  When he's on the field, his speed has to be accounted for, and that has contributed a great deal to the offense that doesn't show up in stats or highlight reels.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from inMinnesota. Show inMinnesota's posts

In Response to WATSON IS A GONER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:
    y would pats keep this guy? never creates separation on his routes. has speed but no manuveurabilty. they have 3 tightends who are better now than he has ever been catchg the ball. even tyson devree has leaped over him. y risk payg him all that money? perhaps they could work out a trade with denver for a 6th rounder or brendan marshalll.
    Posted by reg122

Why do you put Smith over Watson?  From what I've read, Smith has not looked very impressive.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrDoItchBig. Show DrDoItchBig's posts

In Response to Re: WATSON IS A GONER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : Funniest thing I've read in a while.
    Posted by tompenny

nonono, funny is the Pats trading Cassel and Vrabel for only one second round pick. Now that was extremely funny.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhwynter. Show nhwynter's posts

y would pats keep this guy? never creates separation on his routes. has speed but no manuveurabilty. they have 3 tightends who are better now than he has ever been catchg the ball. even tyson devree has leaped over him. y risk payg him all that money? perhaps they could work out a trade with denver for a 6th rounder or brendan marshalll.
    Posted by reg122

You clearly didn't watch the same game I did.  If you had, there is no way you could say that DeVree and Smith have leaped over Watson.  Did you stop to think that Watson didn't play because he's nursing an injury AND that the Patriots know what they have in him, while they don't know what they have in Smith/Thomas.

BTW, when it comes to money, Smith has a higher salary (1.55 million) than Watson (910K) and a higher cap hit (1.55 Million) than Watson (1.44 Million). 

So, basically, nothing you've said would make anyone believe that Watson is at the bottom of the depth chart.

One last thing, had you watched the game on Thursday, you'd have seen Alex Smith was pretty bad in his blocking assignments...

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhwynter. Show nhwynter's posts

In Response to Re: WATSON IS A GONER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : The man's been in the league for what, 6 years, and he's still dropping passes on a regular basis. Ridiculous. Not only that but he doesn't seem real concerned about it. He never does extra work in the off season. Send him packing as far as I'm concerned. We'd be lucky to get a 4th for him.
    Posted by unclealfie

*ROFLMAO* Wow.. nothing like twisting the truth to the extreme.
    THIS is Watson's 6th year.  His first year was a loss because of injury. So, he's had 4 years of actual playing. Last year he dropped 4 passes.

And if you are going to lay into Watson for dropping 4 passes, you better lay into Moss as well.  I mean, he's been in the league for 11 years and is still dropping passes.  In fact, Moss had two drops the other night.  Two that he clearly should have had. 

Where are the calls to trade him? 

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhwynter. Show nhwynter's posts

In Response to Re: WATSON IS A GONER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : nonono, funny is the Pats trading Cassel and Vrabel for only one second round pick. Now that was extremely funny.
    Posted by DrDoItchBig

Typical of someone who doesn't understand much of anything.  The Patriots also freed up over 18 million in salary cap.  That allowed them to sign Galloway, Taylor, Baker, Bodden, Banta-Cain and Springs.. So, in reality, it was Cassel and Vrabel for those 6 players and the 2nd round pick..

Still think its funny?

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ThanksMoLewis. Show ThanksMoLewis's posts

It is about time.  We should have kept Graham.  I do not even want to see him take the feild.  He will probably have a break out year because he is up for contract. I could not agree more with sending him to Denver or anywhere else now and get a 5th round for him.  He will forever be known in New England as
    Ben "THE BUST" Watson!!!!

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PAULICAS1975. Show PAULICAS1975's posts

HOW ABOUT THIS:

Watson as a WR? He has the speed. Good size and somewhat has good hands. So why not put him as a WR? Then use Baker, Smith and Thomas as your TE's.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrDoItchBig. Show DrDoItchBig's posts

In Response to Re: WATSON IS A GONER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : Typical of someone who doesn't understand much of anything.  The Patriots also freed up over 18 million in salary cap.  That allowed them to sign Galloway, Taylor, Baker, Bodden, Banta-Cain and Springs.. So, in reality, it was Cassel and Vrabel for those 6 players and the 2nd round pick.. Still think its funny?
    Posted by nhwynter

Yes,  Galloway,Baker, Bodden, Taylor and Springs signed when Cassel was still with the Pats. If Bill would have waited just a little longer something better could have came along and if not he still could have made this deal. Pioli is good. Looks like you're actually the one "who doesn't understand much of anything".

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrislb. Show chrislb's posts

Had there been any intention of getting rid of Watson wouldn't it have happened before camp? What would be the advantage of waiting until now? Playing 5-6 quarters of football wasn't gonna impress anyone, was it really? The risk of him being injured is a huge consideration in this(which obviously is what happened, killing his value). And aren't most trades in preseason generally initiated because of holdouts?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhwynter. Show nhwynter's posts

In Response to Re: WATSON IS A GONER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : Yes,  Galloway,Baker, Bodden, Taylor and Springs signed when Cassel was still with the Pats. If Bill would have waited just a little longer something better could have came along and if not he still could have made this deal. Pioli is good. Looks like you're actually the one "who doesn't understand much of anything".
    Posted by DrDoItchBig

Listen. Instead of blatantly LYING, you really should go with the facts.
    The reports of the trade came out on the FEBRUARY 26th.  It was confirmed that Vrabel was part of the deal on February 27th.

Galloway signed with the Pats on March 14th
    Baker signed with the Pats on March 2nd.
    Bodden signed with the Pats on March 11th
    Taylor signed with the Pats February 27th.
    Springs signed with the Pats on March 9th.

I clearly understand a helluva lot more than you do since you blatantly lied about Cassel still being on the team when these guys were signed.  He wasn't.

Bill couldn't wait longer than he did.  That is what you don't understand.  He had to make the trade when he did because of the roster bonus owed to Vrabel. 

Now, if you'd like to continue to be shown a fool, please respond with more garbage. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonBobBlowhard. Show BostonBobBlowhard's posts

Posted by reg122

Watson for Brendan Marshall???? What have you been smoking? You think teams just give players away to the Patriots and don't talk to the other 30?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

To the Watson detractors, if there is a better athlete than Watson at the tight end position I'd like to hear who you think it is..? 

Ben has been a decent blocker and has caught some important catches.  He has dropped a few, but who hasn't?  Our tight ends don't get a lot of opportunities to catch the ball, so when they do drop one it is more noticeable.  He is in the last year of his contract, so if you wanted to say "trade him" based on that alright, but to say he "isn't good" is BS.

We have zero fullbacks on the roster, so four tightends isn't too many.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhwynter. Show nhwynter's posts

To the Watson detractors, if there is a better athlete than Watson at the tight end position I'd like to hear who you think it is..?  Ben has been a decent blocker and has caught some important catches.  He has dropped a few, but who hasn't?  Our tight ends don't get a lot of opportunities to catch the ball, so when they do drop one it is more noticeable.  He is in the last year of his contract, so if you wanted to say "trade him" based on that alright, but to say he "isn't good" is BS. We have zero fullbacks on the roster, so four tightends isn't too many.
    Posted by wozzy

While the Pats have zero FBs, Hochstein, who IS on the roster, was the short yardage FB last year.  In fact, Hochstein got more snaps as the FB than he did at any other position.

I don't see 4 TEs being kept.  Especially with how poorly Alex Smith played against the Eagles... I can see the Pats clearing 1.55 mill in cap space by cutting Smith.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

To the Watson detractors, if there is a better athlete than Watson at the tight end position I'd like to hear who you think it is..?  Ben has been a decent blocker and has caught some important catches.  He has dropped a few, but who hasn't?  Our tight ends don't get a lot of opportunities to catch the ball, so when they do drop one it is more noticeable.  He is in the last year of his contract, so if you wanted to say "trade him" based on that alright, but to say he "isn't good" is BS. We have zero fullbacks on the roster, so four tightends isn't too many.
    Posted by wozzy

Well said Wozzy. I distinctly remember one of the greatest plays Ive ever seen being when Watson ran 104 yards to chase down a champ bailey int td return of Tom Brady also forcing the ball out of his hands in what would have been a touchback( had the refs made the right call) therefore saving our season and probably delivering a 3rd superbowl in a row. Since the steelers cant beat us in the playoffs. Any player who is a TE that can run and not give up on a play no matter how bad it looks deserves to be on this team.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from schwank. Show schwank's posts

Might come down to the following. What is the versatility of everyone. During the game they mentioned that Thomas is going to be used as a fullback, also special teams. Then what is the cap impact of everyone. Still plenty of games to be played.
    Posted by Wizardsjag

Agreed.  Saw alot of Smith on special teams.  Thomas is working at H-Back. (Shouldn't be construed as a bgoal line blocking back as they can use a lineman there. What it does bring is the level of uncertainty to that slot.....as you can't expect an OL to run a quick passs route.)  Back on point....Baker is a clear keeper in that he will obviously be the short down guy (a guy they haven't had since Fauria).  

As an aside, LeKevin Smith traded....doesn't surprise me....my pass down the roster came up with 60-61 keepers....so getting to 53 will be tough (barring the unexpected injury factor which as we all know does claim a few players before the season even starts). 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patriots1970. Show Patriots1970's posts

Watson and/or Smith could be traded. TE Celek separated his shoulder v the Pats and Belichick already has done a few trades with them in the past.

I would think they offer up more for Watson then Smith, but who knows....

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ayisyen. Show Ayisyen's posts

Posted by wozzy

What important catch can you remember Watson making?  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Only way Watson is not on this team is if we trade him. We wont risk cutting him and having him picked up by a rival. He still has a lot of upside but in this system has not been what we thought he would be.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from adam4522. Show adam4522's posts

What will likely happen is if we do not trade a couple of TE, reciever, OL, etc then we are going to be cutting the Devree's Slaters' etc of the world and they will be scarfed up by others and we get nothing.  Isn't it better to trade a few of the higher priced and either equal or maybe marginally better guys and get something back for it?  I think that trading a Watson for a 4th or 5th rounder is better than loosing a slater for nothing.  Of coarse the actual names are not the point...but take OL for instance.  We will be cutting either newer draft picks(last 2 years) or vetern BU's that others will scarf up.  I would rather trade 1 or 2 for middle to late round picks then get nothing for the ones we cut.  In reality we would save some $ as well.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from reg122. Show reg122's posts

Only way Watson is not on this team is if we trade him. We wont risk cutting him and having him picked up by a rival. He still has a lot of upside but in this system has not been what we thought he would be.
    Posted by MVPkilla

SO what if he is picked up by a rival if cut due to lack of trade interest? he likely would be hurt when we play his team anyways!

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from reg122. Show reg122's posts

In Response to Re: WATSON IS A GONER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : While the Pats have zero FBs, Hochstein, who IS on the roster, was the short yardage FB last year.  In fact, Hochstein got more snaps as the FB than he did at any other position. I don't see 4 TEs being kept.  Especially with how poorly Alex Smith played against the Eagles... I can see the Pats clearing 1.55 mill in cap space by cutting Smith.
    Posted by nhwynter
    the new guys will have to really stink for watson to b kept. fact the pats spent so much money and traded so many draft picks to get a new core of receivers says loudly what bel will never say openly about watson. bel isnt happy with his old group. watson has peaked. no more upside. dave thomas is younger and cheaper and has been on fire in camp with his blockg and catchg.

Sections
Shortcuts