WATSON IS A GONER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from reg122. Show reg122's posts

WATSON IS A GONER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

y would pats keep this guy? never creates separation on his routes. has speed but no manuveurabilty. they have 3 tightends who are better now than he has ever been catchg the ball. even tyson devree has leaped over him. y risk payg him all that money? perhaps they could work out a trade with denver for a 6th rounder or brendan marshalll.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ritchie-az. Show Ritchie-az's posts

Re: WATSON IS A GONER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think it has been established that Smith and Thomas are better than Watson. Last season Watson was ahead of Thomas on the depth chart, and, while it appears Thomas has improved his blocking skills, he has yet to prove he's better than Watson. Smith hasn't showed a whole lot yet, either.
    It's quite possible that Watson is the team's #2 TE.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Might come down to the following. What is the versatility of everyone. During the game they mentioned that Thomas is going to be used as a fullback, also special teams. Then what is the cap impact of everyone. Still plenty of games to be played.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

It all depends on what the Chiefs or the Broncos are willing to pony up.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

For starters, we need a fifth next year to send Uncle Al to pay for our new probowl OLB, so why don't we just ship Watson back to the Senility Poster Boy and call it even...actually Al would probably give us back our third and cancel out our debt on the third...seems fair to me...

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mountainmonkey. Show mountainmonkey's posts

talking about Uncle AL makes ME senile...I meant to say.."cancel out our debt on the fifth rounder"...you're gettin' the best of us on that deal, Al....

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Belenus555. Show Belenus555's posts

Even though it is very likely that Watson will not be in a Pats uniform by the 2009 season opener, why don't we wait until we see what Smith and Thomas do during the rest of the exhibition games.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrDoItchBig. Show DrDoItchBig's posts

We should get atleast a 2nd rounder for him and maybe a 5th best case scenario, his hands are something that can be fixed with some practice. Other than that he has all the tools a receiving tight end needs.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from timesedge. Show timesedge's posts

Why exactly would we get a 2nd rounder for Watson??? If we don't think that he's that good, why would anyone else want him?

Maybe we'd get a 4th rounder (Al Davis trade aside lol), but I think a 2nd rounder would be way out of the question. Watson is worth far less than Vrabel and Vrabel was only worth anything when combined with Cassel!

Also, you have to look at it from a financial standpoint... are we going to recoup a whole lot by trading him away as opposed to having him just finish out his contract? My guess is not really.

Watson's probably going to stay on the roster for 2009 unless he's caught on a photograph illicetly trading for the services of a 12 year old Thai boy...

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

the way tom brady spreads the ball around,and moss,and welker being his first options.no te on the team will stand out yard wise.plus watson has good stats with brady in the game.this is why watson will be the starter.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

Baker looked confident. I like a tough guy at Tight End. Watson has always looked unsure of himself. I remember the first moment I heard of Watson on draft day, how he was built like a greek god  bla bla bla. A tough guy at TE is what we have been missing. I hate to say it but if Watson does not get off his rear end and start to fight, he's going to be unseated by Baker! I wish Watson would find the fire that Brady exhibits!! He needs to play a little angry or he's out of here and in another uniform next year. Give me a hungry hard working brick layer (who plays hurt) any day over a talented under achiever who is always on the trainers table.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrDoItchBig. Show DrDoItchBig's posts

In Response to Re: WATSON IS A GONER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:
    Why exactly would we get a 2nd rounder for Watson??? If we don't think that he's that good, why would anyone else want him? ...
    Posted by timesedge

why would any team care what we football fans think of how good Watson is?
    I don't think anyone on this board is a GM or talent scout for a team in the Nation Football League.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from timesedge. Show timesedge's posts

In Response to Re: WATSON IS A GONER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : why would any team care what we football fans think of how good Watson is? I don't think anyone on this board is a GM or talent scout for a team in the Nation Football League.
    Posted by DrDoItchBig

They might not care what we think, but just because we're not GMs or scouts doesn't mean that scouts haven't noticed the same thing...

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Lets see who needs a TE,one of the extra's the Patriots have and I consider Watson an extra will be traded and The Patriots have at least 3 teams they can swing a deal with KC,Denver and Philly all 3 of these teams will need a TE come the end of their respective pre-seasons schedules.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DrDoItchBig. Show DrDoItchBig's posts

In Response to Re: WATSON IS A GONER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : They might not care what we think, but just because we're not GMs or scouts doesn't mean that scouts haven't noticed the same thing...
    Posted by timesedge

they could also see alot of value in him, what was Randy Moss to the league before we got him? a has-been whose skills diminished completely. what did Bill and the rest of the Patriots organization see that made him worth going after in a trade? I'm just saying it wouldn't feel too nice letting a player selected that high go for so little and then him somehow become a beast in some other system like Randy became here.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from pats-fan-2007. Show pats-fan-2007's posts

I think Smith gets cut before Watson, mainly because Smith's cap hit is larger than Watson's.

Plus, I haven't seen anything from Smith to warrant a roster spot.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from provpats. Show provpats's posts

In Response to Re: WATSON IS A GONER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! : they could also see alot of value in him, what was Randy Moss to the league before we got him? a has-been whose skills diminished completely. what did Bill and the rest of the Patriots organization see that made him worth going after in a trade? I'm just saying it wouldn't feel too nice letting a player selected that high go for so little and then him somehow become a beast in some other system like Randy became here.
    Posted by DrDoItchBig

except that Moss had a career and the numbers to prove it.  Watson has no numbers with questionable hands.  Also if he cannot develop here then why use a roster spot?  As far as being such a high pick teams make draft mistakes all the time (Cahd Jackson et. al.).  You woudl be fortunate to get a # 5 for this guy; 5 years in the NFL and no significant production from a # 1.  Label him an underachiever

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

Thomas should be starting simple as that. Him and Brady seem to be on a better page when I went to training camp and Watson is never fully healthy.

Thomas has good hands and is a solid blocker. Hes not a freak athlete but god damn he doesnt have those rock hands that Watson does.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Thomas should be starting simple as that. Him and Brady seem to be on a better page when I went to training camp and Watson is never fully healthy. Thomas has good hands and is a solid blocker. Hes not a freak athlete but god damn he doesnt have those rock hands that Watson does.
    Posted by Pancakespwn

Thomas was good in college and always seems to look good the little PT that he gets but there is a reason BB doesnt play him more then he does. While I think Watson has underachieved I dont think it is due to a lack of ability but a lack of staying healthy. Watson will still be our starting TE this year but Baker will play just as much. He did well in N.Y and he is a good blocker. I remember Watson making some big plays for us in some games just not as consistent as we would like. I do think he will be gone next year but hopefully he can stay healthy, work heard in a contract year and give us the production that he owes us.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from cool-hand-luke. Show cool-hand-luke's posts

Watson is a much better player than most people give him credit for, though he is prone to injury.  No way he gets cut- I'll bet he's still #1 on the depth chart this year.

You guys haven't seen poor TE play until you've had to watch LJ Smith week in and week out.

I'll be happy to eat my words if I'm wrong.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from reg122. Show reg122's posts

I don't think it has been established that Smith and Thomas are better than Watson. Last season Watson was ahead of Thomas on the depth chart, and, while it appears Thomas has improved his blocking skills, he has yet to prove he's better than Watson. Smith hasn't showed a whole lot yet, either. It's quite possible that Watson is the team's #2 TE.
    Posted by Ritchie_az

about the value also. thomas is cheap and has anotha year left and is showing a pretty good upside. he has always been able to catch. problem has been with his blockg and injury history (kinda like watson). bottom line iif all things are equal, u go with the younger, cheaper option. sends an example to some of the other entitlement vets!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from dplaser. Show dplaser's posts

Watson was projected to be a lot better than he turned out to be.. He seems timid at times.. Not aggressive... There is a reason they seldom throw to him, they dont have confidence that he can catch the ball.. I think he just didn't materialise and grow.. if anything he got worse as time went on.. He will not be a Pat this coming season.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from jeffbillard. Show jeffbillard's posts

I'm not sure what his cap hit would be if he were cut, so that may be part of the consideration. He'll stick around during the pre-season and the Pats will make their decision then. At best he would bring a 5th round pick, but as a previous poster noted, other teams would just wait for him to be released. I can see him being on this team though.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Yapple. Show Yapple's posts

It would be difficult to get rid of the man who made the greatest play in the history of western civilization. But if he's a liability...

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from timithye. Show timithye's posts

I read somewhere his cap hit is relative large compared to his salary, that might just keep him on the roster.  Thomas' signature play to date is the PF penalty he took against the colts last year which likely caused the Pat's loss.  Baker will be the #1 in the season opener.

Sections
Shortcuts