Watson

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Watson

Read watson is as good as gone come Mar 5. Who replaces him?

oh I know, Jimmy Graham from the U

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from AlpharettaPat1. Show AlpharettaPat1's posts

Re: Watson

I think so as well, I really think he's a good player just not used enough. I would like to keep him if he does not break the bank

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from EASON11. Show EASON11's posts

To bad cause he has all the tools...........he will go to Denver or KC and have 70 catches and ten td's...........he will be in a offense more oriented toward the te.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninsatx. Show patsfaninsatx's posts

Owen Daniels, Tony Shelfler, some draft Pick....it doesnt really matter, Pats never use the TE anyways. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

i think watson is a great athlete, who will have a great year next year, when we actually get him the ball rather than constantly having him back for blocking due to the inadequacies of the O-line he is a very good threat.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nyjoseph. Show nyjoseph's posts

In Response to Re: Watson:
    To bad cause he has all the tools...........he will go to Denver or KC and have 70 catches and ten td's...........he will be in a offense more oriented toward the te.
    Posted by EASON11

In that case, he will be thrown to about 130 times, have about 30 drops, and 6 lost fumbles.  He will never be confused with Russ Francis or Ben Coates, both studs at the position.  IMO he has bad hands, goes down on first contact, and never is a threat to take it to the house.  Add to all of that (as others have noted) the Pats don't emphasize the position.  Time to rotate the stock, let him walk, and get a more physical specimen with good hands.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Jeez Tcal, where did you find that?  LOL

I think Watson has been a non-factor.  He is like a slightly bad Adam Sandler movie that you keep watching to the end in the hope that it will eventually get better, but never does.

I don't see how it can hurt to try someone else.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Mike Vrabel said he'd come back "in a heartbeat".

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from oklahomapatriot. Show oklahomapatriot's posts

Mike Vrabel said he'd come back "in a heartbeat" .
    Posted by digger0862

i'd rather have willie mcginnest back

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

For now, looks like Chris Baker.  - Like Patsfaninsatx mentioned, the pats don't use their TE anyways  - would be nice if they went back to the dink n dunk a bit to get the TE more involved.  (esp since welker will be out)....Is another Dallas Clark coming out in this years draft?????

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

In Response to Re: Watson : i'd rather have willie mcginnest back
    Posted by kansaspatriot

lol To replace Watson?

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from SICOFITALL. Show SICOFITALL's posts

Can we please get rid of this guy , along with the morons who are STILL waiting for his and Maroneys potential to be filled. How many years can we wait , they su ck. Its not the o-line , they way there used , how many touches they get , they su ck! Watson is a tight end who cant perform tight end duties , the guy has run the same seem route for 5 YEARS! Whens the last time he made a big catch , took a big shot over the middle. My boy 81 takes more shots then him. So can he block...WOW , lock him up...whatever it takes...millions! Please ! You can get a blocking tight end who cant catch in any round and in every draft. Im hoping the PATS go after a Scheffler , great hands , can run and block a lil' for you. This guy can run almost any route you want and has no problem going over the middle and making that big catch and taking a shot. Eason you need to get a clue buddy , its not the offense hes in or the amount of targets he gets. In fact this offense caters to receivers and tight ends , their giving the initial play along with everyone else. If 12 has to check down , it gets busted or if the play just isnt there , rec's/te 's become QB's. They can revert back to a pervious play , have a saftey route or spot to go to , or freelance to get open. This offense is coveted by alot of receivers and tight ends in the league , right now we just dont have the guys to run it. I would agrue we havent for the past 3 years. We got away with it in 07' because of the myriad of options we had and oh yea Moss caught 23 TD's! This team really needs someone who can the X position , Ill say it again , spend the money trade a couple draft picks and bring in Marshell. At 26 hes a top 5 receiver who can play the short game and catch bubble's and short slants and crossing patterns. And he can beat you deep on a post , slugo and 9 route. Hes in the prime of his career , has 5-6 great years left and everyone knows him and Denver are parting ways. Seriously how could one not want this guy? So what he "has issues"  , this is the NF'inL , who doesnt have problems. Guys like him want disipline , they want structure and want to be a part of something bigger. I really think we could get him for two seconds and maybe a 5-6. Like I said everyone knows he wants out and they want to deal him , he was pretty close to becoming a Seahawk. I also heard the 49ers are very interested in him depending on the price. He goes there and all of a sudden they have the peices and potential to be a great offense , they would still need help at O-line , but he would a huge help in transforming that O. Im assuming they have an actual person playing QB as opposed to a broom with an automatic slingshot chucking up balls. LOL I actually think Smith has what it takes to get the job done. He has the skills , he just needs a little more help and has to gain some confidence back. Marshell/Crabtree/Morgan/Davis/Gore/Coffee make up a freat core for your skill positions and could really do some damage by putting up some high numbers on the score board.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from haldager. Show haldager's posts

I think Greg Olsen might be possible. There are rumors about him going to the Pats.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Jeez Tcal, where did you find that?  LOL I think Watson has been a non-factor.  He is like a slightly bad Adam Sandler movie that you keep watching to the end in the hope that it will eventually get better, but never does. I don't see how it can hurt to try someone else.
    Posted by chrisakawoody

Two things about Adam Sandler movies:

1. The term "slightly" should never be used when describing how bad they are.

2. Every single one of them gets exponentially better the minute the credits begin to roll.

oh . . .   and I think Watson is an okay tight end, but the Pats don't take advantage of his abilities.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Owen Daniels, Tony Shelfler, some draft Pick....it doesnt really matter, Pats never use the TE anyways. 
    Posted by patsfaninsatx

I think you're looking at it the wrong way. 

If we had a dependable TE, one who could get open and not drop 50% if the passed thrown his way, he'd be getting plenty of use. Watson has shown he's totally undependable, especially when it counts.

Another guy with all the tools but somehow they always stay in the toolbox. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

Was Watson that bad?  He gets ripped for being a first round miss, and probably rightly so since his considerable skill set never seemed to match his production.  But as part of the TE rotation, I think the Pats could do worse.  This has to be an asking price issue.  Probably will get paid a bit too much for the Pats' liking. 

What is it with the Pats and the tight end position?  Guaranteed they draft 1 or more this year.   

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

While he has never lived up to the expectations that came with drafting him in the 1st round, he still is a solid TE that shows bursts of greatness.  I pefer we keep him so long as he isn't looking for unrealistic money.  I can say the same thing about Maroney. 

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

Don't know, but whoever they find, I hope he can block.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimNotJimmy. Show JimNotJimmy's posts

you guys can't begin to tell me Happy Gilmore was a bad movie!!

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from dafoe. Show dafoe's posts

I'm with the Watson really isn't that good camp. This isn't baseball. Five years is more than enough time to evaluate a player. Most people say the magic number is three years.

Yes, it's possible that he was underused. But he played with one of the best QBs in the history of the game and still managed to be mostly invisible. That tells me that he can't get open on a regular basis.

Some guys, for all thier ability, don't have that knack. Think of Troy Brown or Wes Welker. Nobody is ever going to confuse either guy with Jerry Rice. But they both became All Pros by running percise routes and finding the holes in defenses. It's not a knack that everyone has and it requires some brain power. I'm not saying Watson has a low football IQ. I don't know if he does or he doesn't. But when he was in college he could just run by guys. He can't do that now. And so far, the transition has been difficult for him. It's like Ron Dayne. He gets into the NFL and suddenly he's not big enough to run people over anymore. He just wasn't cut out to be a star in the NFL. It happens.

I'm not saying Watson is a terrible player. I just think it's safe to say he is never going to be anything more than a mediocre player. And I didn't even mention the hands issue.

My only concern with losing Watson would be on the Oline, especially if they have Matt Light at left tackle again this year. They are going to need somebody to chip. Hopefully Watson's replacement is up to it 

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

you guys can't begin to tell me Happy Gilmore was a bad movie!!
    Posted by JimNotJimmy

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from LazarusintheSanatorium. Show LazarusintheSanatorium's posts

To ALL:

QUESTION was posed IF there's a worthwhile TE in this Draft Class...

Personally, as I've noted in other threads, with dual-coverage Safeties able to limit even the best current NFL TEs in their game-abilities and effectiveness, coupled with the fact that this team has so many utterly critical positions of need that should be targeted first and foremost, there is NO Way imho NE should take a TE in either Round 1 OR 2...and seeing as we have NO 3rd rd pick, this does take certain guys wholly outta the equation:  the top 2 TEs in Oklahoma's Jermaine Gresham and Arizona's Rob Gronkowski are therefore out-most certainly too is Oregon's Ed Dickson & possibly Florida's 6'2 TE (yea right...don't care how good he is @ pass-catching) in Aaron Hernandez (RE: the first 2, they're further not even worthwhile imho with Gresham's knee injury last season and Gronkowski's back injury).

YET, those 2 in particular really were the most "well-rounded" NFL-esque TEs in their play, size and skill-set imo...  So O.k., IF NE does decide to target a TE for their team in Round 4, I've been following the following 3 prospects (in no particular order whatsoever):

~Miami University's Jimmy Graham- Now this dude's something like 6'6 260lbs and runs a mid 4.6 40 flat, yet he is totally raw potential.  I believe he's only played TE for 2 years at Miami, and so isn't a very formidable blocker (although with his size, could be coached to be), NOR does he have the surity of hands as a guy who's been doing this position for years (not bad hands though, and he is a basketball player too I believe).  STILL, He's got decent routes for his limited time @ TE, and his footwork and cutting is simply absurdly good-get him the ball and he IS a threat...  YET, He just might be targeted before the Pats pick in the bottom third of Round 4, and as he's largely unproven (or at least inexperienced), it becomes a tough choice overall...

~Alabama's University's Colin Peek- Maintains the ideal frame for an NFL TE imo too @ abouts 6'5 and 255lbs, and his blocking is by far the best out of these 3 potential selection targets in Round 4.  His pass-catching abilities are somewhat equal to or just a little better than Miami's Graham.  Although, his route running needs work imo, and his speed, especially when translated in NFL terms, is pretty awful @ around 4.8 (unsure if improved with his combine performance in 40 yet).  I have further somewhat concerns on his overall maturity- I believe out of HS he made a committment to FLA, then reneged to go to GA Tech where he didn't like the TE use and so transfered the past year to Alabama (somewhat understandable, but still...also, I kid you all not, I think he's some kind of an actor in an MTV sitcom-not to be knocked, but how much of this guy's head is somewhere else?).  YET, IF you want by far the very best blocker at this juncture (even imo than earlier draftees), although a receiver who should improve, at an NFL TEs height and weight with decent enough motivation and football IQ/experience, then he's your guy...

~Brigham Young University's Dennis Pitta-  I don't like this guys height or weight as an NFL ideal for the TE spot, but man...I LOVE ALL else about this dude's game.  He's 6'4 and @ 245lbs...just a mere inch and 10 or so lbs off of what I want at the least for my TE position.  Here's the rest (all good):  Ridiculous effort, above average intelligence, good route running, just great hands, and decent enough speed (something around a 4.7 40 give or take).  His blocking HAS been knocked, but it really isn't nearly as bad as some scouts think...He CAN hold the end, Pitta DID have either the highest or second highest reps @ the 225X bench press at the combine amongst ALL TEs (like 27 reps)-SO this guy really is strong as he!!.  AND he really wasn't USED as an engulfing run-blocker in BYU's Offense, at all really (more of a threat in his own right).  I think 2 years ago, Pitta led ALL Div 1 TEs in yards and TDs (dropped off this year, just a little, but still yards/TDs way ahead off most).  BUT man, just an added inch Pitta...just an inch then we could pack 10 lbs on you and I'm TOTALLY sold bud (one little single sequence of your genes scr#wed you by just a hair)...     

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

Crazy isn't it, that Belichick values the TE position enough to use first round picks (Graham and Watson) to get them but under utilizes TE in his offense. Perhaps they'll take a fresh look at how Indy uses Dallas Clark. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BrooklineRob. Show BrooklineRob's posts

Crazy isn't it, that Belichick values the TE position enough to use first round picks (Graham and Watson) to get them but under utilizes TE in his offense. Perhaps they'll take a fresh look at how Indy uses Dallas Clark. 
    Posted by RonF

Ron

That's what I was thinking too.  The Pats used high picks on Watson and Graham and they both had solid but not spectacular careers here, arguably neither was worth the pick it took the get them, but Graham was a pretty good all around TE.  They also used a #3 on Thomas a few years back, signed Baker to a pretty good FA deal last year and traded a #5 for a guy that couldn't even make it out of camp.  Was it them?  Was it the offense?  Do they value blocking that much that they use high picks and pay decent dollars?  For a position that the team seems to put a fair amount of emphasis on, the bang for the buck in the receiving game is not that impressive.   

Of course I could be under-emphasizing blitz pickup and sealing the edge in the running game.