Wave the white flag

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Wave the white flag

We love our Patriots and believe in the team and the coach, but waving the white flag with half of the 4th quarter to go is shameful. As fans, are we to take a page out of the coaches handbook and simply give up on this team. Or will we be true patriots and stick by our team through good and bad? Continue to push on even if the odds are against us. Play for the moment and not forget the many great Patriots that came before us to help us win the 3 championships. 
    Last night's waving of the white flag is disgraceful to the Patriots legacy and who the Patriot represent both as a team and organization. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

Re: Wave the white flag

I disagree and don't find any disgrace in what Belichick did. We lost..I knew it by half time. He wanted to send a message to his players and he did. They played horribly and that's the disgrace if there is any at all which I question. It's amazing how BB has become the biggest idiot in the league this year after the record he's compiled this decade. Our personnel isn't great on defense but we're very young. I'd like to personally thank Bill for letting me go to bed 30 minutes early last night.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from harleyroadking103. Show harleyroadking103's posts

How does that saying go?..."discretion is the better part of valor..." "live to fight another day" BULLCR@P!!!!! did not like it one bit. Those guys (the Pats) created that mess, stay out there and finish it like men not on the sideline like losers.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Caesar1177. Show Caesar1177's posts

In Response to Wave the white flag:
    [QUOTE]We love our Patriots and believe in the team and the coach, but waving the white flag with half of the 4th quarter to go is shameful. A[/QUOTE]

Who cares? We weren't going to win. Send a message.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from pogobbler. Show pogobbler's posts

I couldn't agree more with the first poster.  If there had been 2 minutes left on the clock, I'd agree that it's time to close up shop, but around 5:30 left?  It might be one thing if the playoff situation was all sewn up and they were playing for nothing beyond the win, but each win is still very valuable at this point in the season.  Nothing is assured yet.

Not that they're at all a popular team here, I'm sure, but the Indy Colts won a Monday night game in which they were down by 21 points to Tampa Bay with only 4 minutes left.  It can and has been done even if you've been dominated all game long, especially when you've got such a potentially explosive offence with someone like Brady to lead them on the field.  I agree with what Steve Young said after the game, about how he'd stay off the field if the coach told him to, but he'd have given him a heck of an earful while he was there on the sideline. 

It's the NFL, folks, you do not just give up like that in that situation.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

In Response to Re: Wave the white flag:
    Not that they're at all a popular team here, I'm sure, but the Indy Colts won a Monday night game in which they were down by 21 points to Tampa Bay with only 4 minutes left.
    Posted by pogobbler

The Pats used to be able to do that.  However, it appears that against they are not anywhere as lethal in the red zone.  The team cannot be content to trade 3-pointers for 7's against a great QB.  It seems to me that the Pats are making bad passes on crucial drives, followed up by a botched run.  Now, all the pressure is on that next play, which has been resulting in...not enough yardage...1-2-3-punt/kick.  In the past, the offense would not stop, until they punched it in.  The Pats used to demand the respect that they showed Manning and his Colts.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BTownExpress. Show BTownExpress's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wave the white flag : The Pats used to be able to do that.  However, it appears that against the good teams they are not anywhere as lethal in the red zone.  The team cannot be content to trade 3-pointers for 7's against a great QB.  It seems to me that the Pats are making bad passes on crucial drives, followed up by a botched run.  Now, all the pressure is on that next play, which has been resulting in...not enough yardage...1-2-3-punt/kick.  In the past, the offense would not stop, until they punched it in.  The Pats used to demand the respect that they showed Manning and his Colts.
    Posted by BTownExpress[/QUOTE]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from pogobbler. Show pogobbler's posts

[QUOTE]Pogobller , all that being said...by that time..knowing Peyton did it..Did you believe the Pats had 3 more td drives in them..and do you think the defense was capable of 3 straight 3 and outs....cuz thats what it would have taken....Bill is smart for pulling Brady...he does still wear a brace you know.....They were smacking em around, and judging by the hit Sharper put on Moss...I dont think any of the saints players were looking for autograghs...they were lookin to take someone out the game..so yeah pull em....it aint happening..I mean you can have it both ways...Are you the same guys asking why Bill doesnt take out Brady when we are up 21....cuz there is a risk losing the game..by halftime this game was over already..so why take the risk?
    Posted by patsfan76[/QUOTE]

I still just do not agree.  With 2 minutes left, I'd agree... with 3 minutes left, I'd agree... with over 5 and a half minutes left, I just can't agree that it was the right call.  Do I think it's likely they'd have come to back to win?  Of course not... but by the logic of pulling the vulnerable starters out when they look beaten and you feel they can't come back, they might as well have been taken out midway through the 3rd quarter or certainly by the beginning of the 4th.  And I'm not one who wants it both ways and thinks, were the situations reversed, Brady should be pulled because they're up by 21 points with that much time left.  I think you stick with them until the clock is down to 3 minutes or so if the other team is still legitmately trying to come back, though sticking with them all the way is pretty safe in that sort of situation since they're not doing much, if any, passing. 

History has shown that such a comeback can happen, even with a team that looks beaten and true sportsmanship requires playing the best you can until it truly is over.  To do less is to sell yourself and your team short.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

If I were to guess the reason behind the reason, perhaps BB was so disgusted with his team's execution that he figured it was a lost cause.  Piecing together comments and quotes here and there, it sounds like the D got rattled and some of the younger players were letting things effect them.  Using military speak, the team was "combat ineffective".  I mean really, BB would not have done that merely to give Hoyer experience.  I think he really thought the team was rattled and had no chance of a comeback.  If only we could hear what will go on in meetings this week...

Can't wait to see how the team responds this week against the Phins.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from PeaceLaur. Show PeaceLaur's posts

In Response to Wave the white flag:
    [QUOTE]We love our Patriots and believe in the team and the coach, but waving the white flag with half of the 4th quarter to go is shameful. As fans, are we to take a page out of the coaches handbook and simply give up on this team. Or will we be true patriots and stick by our team through good and bad? Continue to push on even if the odds are against us. Play for the moment and not forget the many great Patriots that came before us to help us win the 3 championships.  Last night's waving of the white flag is disgraceful to the Patriots legacy and who the Patriot represent both as a team and organization. 
    Posted by PatsLifer[/QUOTE]

I don't really have a big problem with it, to be honest. In order to win the game with that much time left, the Pats would have needed perfect execution on offense, and either nothing but three-and-outs from the D and/or recovered onside kicks. When you look at the momentum of the game at that point and how demoralized both the offense and defense were, I believe it was in the best interest of the team to pull the starters and not risk injuries going for a long shot against a great Saints team. They will have a chance to go over their mistakes and execute at a higher level in other games.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from shenanigan. Show shenanigan's posts

The Colts game was not the same thing.  For one thing the Colts were playing TB and the Pats were playing NO.  In order for a comeback like that a lot of things have to go right, here is what you need.
    1. big kickoff return, folowed by a quick score.
    2. onside kick recovery followed by a score before the 2 min warning.
    3. big return or 3 and out, followed by a quick score to tie.  Cannot allow even a fieldgoal.
    4.  An overtime score to win.

The Colts got a big return and were 12 yards from the endzone with about the same time left on the clock as the Pats.  The Pats were 73 yards from the endzone.  They would have to drive 73 yards then get and onside kick and drive 60 or so yards in 3 minutes with one timeout.

This is the NFL, there is no point in working to only lose by 7.  These guys are not working to make thier moms proud they are trying to get to the playoffs and they don't need injured players.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from boston2nj. Show boston2nj's posts

I think it would be a different story if the Pats and Saints were trading blows and the Pats feel behind but two touchdowns maybe becasue of special teams or an INT, but the Saints manhandeled the Pats. I don't think a comeback was feasible the way the Saints were playing on both sides of the ball. On offense, field position meant nothing, they scored pretty much at will. On Defense they took TB right out of his comfort zone making him throw bad passes.
    You can not come back when your team is playing like crap. BB knew his defense would not be able to produce three and outs for the remainder of the game, so why risk injury so close to the playoffs? Many people forgot the investment financially in these players, in a case like Monday BB simply wanted to protect Kraft's investment.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from sox148927. Show sox148927's posts

BB did it to get sean payton to call the dogs off and run the clock out and get it over with, knowing payton wasnt gonna have brees continue throwing darts down the field and further embarrasing us with our backups in the game...leave brady in and not only does he potentially get hurt, but he keeps trying to throw downfield and brees keeps doing the same, and they probably go 40+ on our lousy defense...so to a degree it absolutely was waving the white flag..

but it was strange seeing that, not to mention his unusually overly respectful midfield handshake with payton, and they way he interrupted brees' postgame interview to give him a hug...pretty obvious BB has a respect for the saints/payton/brees that he doesnt seem to extend to almost everyone else in the league...

15. This post has been removed.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from sox148927. Show sox148927's posts

haha good point schwillypete...it's true, how often do we hear that whole "we gotta play for 60 mins" mantra? guess it only applies to games we can actually create excuses for...lose by a point in the final minute to the colts and its "we gotta play all 60 mins"...but get embarrassed on national tv by the saints and playing 55 mins is perfectly acceptable..lol

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from southernpat. Show southernpat's posts

Actually, preserving your players in a winless game is good coaching.  Protect people from injury and let the 2nd string get some playing time.  Don't see one thing wrong with that.  Also, for those of you who have been Pats fans for a while, a few years back we went to Pittsburgh and got pounded physically and blown out of the game.  So much so, that on Pitts last drive of the game, they marched down the field to about the Pats 10 yard line and as the clock was winding down, they took a knee.  In essence, stating that they knew they could score on the defense, they had rocked them all game long, but what was the point?  That same season, New England went back to Pittsburgh and blew them away in a playoff game.  Have faith, Pats fans.