Way Too Early 2012 Roster Prediction

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Way Too Early 2012 Roster Prediction

Just for grins, here's a guess at what NE's Week 1 Roster will look like.  Had to throw a few odd-ball picks in there...

QB (3) Brady, Mallett, Hoyer
    RB (4) Ridley, Vereen, Woodhead, Larsen
    WR (7) Welker, Lloyd, Gaffney, Slater, Ocho, Edelman, Britt Davis
    OL (9) Solder, Vollmer, Cannon, Connelly, Gallery, Waters, Koppen, Mankins, Kopa
    TE (3) Gronk, Hernandez, Fells
    DT (4) Wilfork, Love, Pryor, Warren
    DE (4) Fanene, Deadrick, Jones, Bequette
    ILB (4) Mayo, Spikes, Hightower, Fletcher
    OLB (3) Ninkovich, Scott, White
    CB (4) Dowling, Arrington, Allen, Dennard
    S (3) Chung, Wilson, Gregory
    CB/S (2) McCourty, Moore
    P(1) Zoltan
    K (1) Gostkowski
    LS (1) Aiken

Practice Squad:  (Can't remember if it's 6 or 7 players allowed...)
    Ebner
    J. Warren
    Fortson
    M. Carter
    B. Bolden
    Zusevics
    Hix

PUP:
    A. Gonzolez
    McDonald
    Ebert
    Barett

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Re: Way Too Early 2012 Roster Prediction

In Response to Way Too Early 2012 Roster Prediction:
    Just for grins, here's a guess at what NE's Week 1 Roster will look like.  Had to throw a few odd-ball picks in there... QB (3) Brady, Mallett, Hoyer RB (4) Ridley, Vereen, Woodhead, Larsen WR (7) Welker, Lloyd, Gaffney, Slater, Ocho, Edelman, Britt Davis OL (9) Solder, Vollmer, Cannon, Connelly, Gallery, Waters, Koppen, Mankins, Hix TE (3) Gronk, Hernandez, Fells DT (4) Wilfork, Love, Pryor, Warren DE (4) Fanene, Deadrick, Jones, Bequette ILB (4) Mayo, Spikes, Hightower, Fletcher OLB (3) Ninkovich, Scott, White CB (4) Dowling, Arrington, Allen, Dennard S (3) Chung, Wilson, Gregory CB/S (2) McCourty, Moore P (1) Zoltan K (1) Gostkowski LS (1) Aiken Practice Squad: Ebner Ebert McDonald Fortson M. Carter B. Bolden PUP: A. Gonzolez Stallworth Tarp.
    Posted by WazzuWheatfarmer

Ocho gets bounced.

Expect more people on the PUP list.  BB works the PUP list to perfection.

Either Tarpinian's concussions are history or Tarpinian is history.  No way does he get a free ride for 2012 on the strength of a 2011 concussion.  Gonzalez either makes the team healthy or he is cut.  The same goes for Stallworth.  I'm sure that some guys will make the injury list if BB has to chew their ears off, but not those three guys.  I don't see anyone drafted this year for the express purpose of making the PUP list, as Marcus Cannon was in 2011.  It's so nice when a starting left tackle just magically appears in the middle of the season.

People that BB will beg to get injured:  Ebner, Ebert, Dennard.  Just fall down on the field saying "Ow Ow it's my rookie!  It hurts Daddy make it all better."

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In Response to Re: Way Too Early 2012 Roster Prediction:
    In Response to Way Too Early 2012 Roster Prediction : Ocho gets bounced. Expect more people on the PUP list.  BB works the PUP list to perfection. Either Tarpinian's concussions are history or Tarpinian is history.  No way does he get a free ride for 2012 on the strength of a 2011 concussion.  Gonzalez either makes the team healthy or he is cut.  The same goes for Stallworth.  I'm sure that some guys will make the injury list if BB has to chew their ears off, but not those three guys.  I don't see anyone drafted this year for the express purpose of making the PUP list, as Marcus Cannon was in 2011.  It's so nice when a starting left tackle just magically appears in the middle of the season. People that BB will beg to get injured:  Ebner, Ebert, Dennard.  Just fall down on the field saying "Ow Ow it's my rookie!  It hurts Daddy make it all better."
    Posted by Paul_K

Probably true about our PUP list being utilized strongly this year with a couple of the young guys.  I'm thinking that Ocho will come in this year prepared and more confident and make this team. We'll see. Made a couple adjustments to the roster projection.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Not a bad 'guess', but ... I think:
    Oline - Mankins may start on the PUP - and they may keep McDonald/Thomas, and it will be a battle between Kopa/Hix for the fourth tackle. I could also see Koppen as a possible late cut/trade which would allow them to keep both young guard/centers. Waters, Gallery and Koppen are short term and keeping some youth at OG would be good.
    WR - I think Britt is a longer shot than say Stallworth. If Gonzalez is healthy through camp, he gives Ocho some tough competition, and Branch looks pretty good as a third/fourth wideout - much better than he looked as the #1 last year.

Going to be wild competition all over the field on O and D through camp. And I am sure BB isn't completely finished with bringing vets in either. There are going to be a lot of players cut across the league through the summer and I only see around 35 'locks' to make the team.

There are also going to be a number of teams sniffing around - the pats have some serious depth in the mid talent range.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Not a bad 'guess', but ... I think: Oline - Mankins may start on the PUP - and they may keep McDonald/Thomas, and it will be a battle between Kopa/Hix for the fourth tackle. I could also see Koppen as a possible late cut/trade which would allow them to keep both young guard/centers. Waters, Gallery and Koppen are short term and keeping some youth at OG would be good. WR - I think Britt is a longer shot than say Stallworth. If Gonzalez is healthy through camp, he gives Ocho some tough competition, and Branch looks pretty good as a third/fourth wideout - much better than he looked as the #1 last year. Going to be wild competition all over the field on O and D through camp. And I am sure BB isn't completely finished with bringing vets in either. There are going to be a lot of players cut across the league through the summer and I only see around 35 'locks' to make the team. There are also going to be a number of teams sniffing around - the pats have some serious depth in the mid talent range.
    Posted by mia76

All good thoughts here. I am pretty high on some of our young O-Line prospects (like Mcdonald...) so I have considered the possibiltiy of Koppen getting cut/traded as well. Wouldn't completely shock me, but Brady is so familiar with him and they have worked together for so long that I will give him the nod as the starting center, for now. It's tough to count on a young player to step in at center and not have a learning curb, but when Koppen was out last year McDonald got some valuable experience.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

In Response to Re: Way Too Early 2012 Roster Prediction : All good thoughts here. I am pretty high on some of our young O-Line prospects (like Mcdonald...) so I have considered the possibiltiy of Koppen getting cut/traded as well. Wouldn't completely shock me, but Brady is so familiar with him and they have worked together for so long that I will give him the nod as the starting center, for now. It's tough to count on a young player to step in at center and not have a learning curb, but when Koppen was out last year McDonald got some valuable experience.
    Posted by WazzuWheatfarmer

I actually think Connelly may be the starter at center if Mankins and Waters are healthy and playing. He is getting the big bucks and he has the most experience after Koppen.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Mooney12. Show Mooney12's posts

WR: Welker Lloyd Gafney Ocho Stallworth Gonzalez(if healthy) if not get branch. Edelman gets cut, davis to the practice squad, slater isn't aWR.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from titletownfan. Show titletownfan's posts

QB: Brady, Hoyer, Mallett (3)
    RB: Ridley, Vereen, Woodhead, Addai, Fiammetta (5)
    WR: Welker, Lloyd, Gaffney, Branch, Ebert, Edelman, Slater (7)
    TE: Gronkowski, Hernandez, Fells (3)
    OL: Vollmer, Mankins, Connoly, Waters, Solder, Gallery, Cannon, Koppen (8)
    DL: Wilfork, Deaderick, Fanene, Love, Forston (5)
    DE/OLB: Jones, Bequette, Scott, M. Carter (4)
    LB: Hightower, Mayo, Spikes, Ninkovich, Fletcher, White (6)
    CB: McCourty, Dowling, Arrington, Moore, Dennard (T. Wilson) (5)
    S: Chung, Wilson, Gregory, Ebner (Dennard, Moore, McCourty) (4)
    ST: Gostkowski, Mesko, Aiken (3)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

I think the OLine decision is going to be really interesting - at Tackle you have to be concerned with Vollmers back holding up all year. And at Guard/Center you have both health (Mankins/Gallery/Koppen) and age (Waters/Koppen) as concerns. It is tough to fit onto the roster, but I think two or McDonald, Thomas, Hix, and Kopa will start the season on the roster. Maybe Mankins starts on PUP, maybe Koppen is a late trade/cut and maybe an LB (White) or safety (Ebner) gets cut or they carry only 6 WR or 4 RBs so they can carry 9 OLs. And there is always the possibility that they trade a QB and carry two plus a PS QB.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

I think the OLine decision is going to be really interesting - at Tackle you have to be concerned with Vollmers back holding up all year. And at Guard/Center you have both health (Mankins/Gallery/Koppen) and age (Waters/Koppen) as concerns. It is tough to fit onto the roster, but I think two or McDonald, Thomas, Hix, and Kopa will start the season on the roster. Maybe Mankins starts on PUP, maybe Koppen is a late trade/cut and maybe an LB (White) or safety (Ebner) gets cut or they carry only 6 WR or 4 RBs so they can carry 9 OLs. And there is always the possibility that they trade a QB and carry two plus a PS QB.
    Posted by mia76

Agree.  I think BB almost has to figure out a way to incorperate a couple of our young, developing O-Linemen into the roster mix.  I love our veteran guys, but the age/health concerns that you mentioned make it pretty scary to rely on some of them to stay healthy all year without solid back-up plans.  I think we will carry 9 O-Linemen this year for that reason.  For me, best case scenario to add another roster spot would be to trade Hoyer in pre-season and carry Hartline on P. Squad.  I doubt Hoyer would bring much value at this point, but even a late-round pick would be decent compensation for a guy who never got drafted in the first place.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

wow Wazzu! For being so far out, Ill bet that projection ends up being pretty close! Good job.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Should be an interesting roster! Regardless of makes the team there are potential stars littering the field at Foxboro! Jabar,D.Stallworth,Lloyd,And maybe even WW if he's smart enough to sign his tender,they have young RB's with Vereen,Ridley,Woodhead,and Bolden and now they add a veteran to the mix in Addai. The TE's are multifaceted with Gronk,Hernandez and Fells.FB's there are three too choose from Larsen,Fiammetta and Kettani.These are just a few of the guys...There is a plethora of OL in camp,and there will be more DL than ever before. This is without a doubt the best collection of players that the Patriots have ever assembled to win jobs!!!

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Agree it is the best collection, though the top end of the collection especially at some defensive positions is a little suspect. Going to be a great camp.

Sections
Shortcuts