Way too early assesments

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from HelmetofLeather. Show HelmetofLeather's posts

Way too early assessments

One pre season game down and just wanted to share some of the things I liked.

Malcolm Butler....WOW ..If this kids can develop from where he already is...another BB UDFA gem. Super quick reaction and the presence of a vet. I heard the rave reviews in camp but this is the 1st time I've seen him play and I wasn't disappointed. Just shows how much of a crap shoot the draft is.

Jimmy "Gametime" Garoppolo...Showed poise, a Marino like quick release and one hell of a deep ball( something I've kinda dogged our G.O.A.T Mr Brady about for years) One game against scrubs doesn't make me a believer but it sure quieted the "WTF"  crowds reaction when he was picked.

Steve Beauharnais.....He was my surprise future baller for us when he was drafted. I smiled when he made the team but never really got to see him play much until last night. He is Ray Lewis like against the run. Flows downhill with amazing read and react skill, unfortunately he makes Spikes look like Revis in coverage. Nice Lb in obvious run situations but please leave him glued to the sidelines on 3rd and long

James Anderson... Gave me a slight chubby when I saw him in coverage...HALLELUJAH!!! Is what I believed I screamed...........

James Develin...Nothing but love for this old school baller. Multi faceted asset to this team.

Brian Timms...I know he was playing against me in coverage last night but that 1st step could shake most db's who play him tight.....Intriguing prospect.

"Don't touch my Leatherhelmet!!"

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

Re: Way too early assesments

Be prepared to be blasted.  Some miserable Pats in here were blasting Beuaharnais and Anderson's work last night.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from HOTBLITZ. Show HOTBLITZ's posts

No offense to anyone who may like Mallet but I think he doesn't have it/never will. All of you're points on players I like and agree with but I had to add in Mallet stinking. I'm not just basing it on last night. But that in a collection of games over the past few pre-seasons he's played. He will be cut this year or let go next year. Nothing more.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I'd like to give the two linebackers some more time before I make an opinion either way...I liked the kid from Rutgers last year, thought he just showed some real good instincts and was around the ball in the run game. I thought Anderson made a few plays last night, but everyone said he played terrible, so I think I need to watch him a little more next time.

I agree on Devlin, he's just a tough as nails, old school player. I like the way he catches the ball and muscles ahead for a few more yards - those guys have value even if the trend is a field stretching tight end or move type. 

Call me crazy, but I thought Will Smith showed a little something last night, he showed he has power and that's something we could use on the edge. I could see Belichick using a guy like that. Smith is another guy who got poor reviews last night, so maybe I'm wrong, but I think I'm right on this one.

The real encouraging thing was seeing Vince play last night, because it was far from a guarantee that he'd be able to come back and it looks like he has. Now he may get hurt again, but it looks like he is fine...and that's huge.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

Well I watched again

mallett -not all his fault, but he has to do something before they blow the balloons up again. We are going to see a lot more of him, I am hoping and hoping

oline. - my biggest fear from last bronco game , I didn't feel any bett

anderson /beau - I don't know , I couldn't tell From TV, and the reviews are all over the place

Buchanan -reviews not great, damn we need a rotation for the whole DL, or we will be in trouble

Butler -he has one set of hips - his penalties are real correctable, Could we get him to the PS? 

Browner -why do I see all pro ss? Especially with our cbs

JG -I am glad he did something well, it will keep a lot of pressure off him, we do eat our young here

wrs -how could you tell, but they did make a few plays called back -see Mallett

Way way early to be too worried, but am a little

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DoNotSleepOnThePats. Show DoNotSleepOnThePats's posts

I never worry after the first preseason game unless important players suffer long term or season ending injuries. I notice every year people post in here after a tough preseason game and think there is trouble. That's gotta stop. But Ryan Mallett was pretty lousy.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Helmet, I like your assessments.  Think there were many bright spots in a game that on the surface looked pretty dull.  

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Yeah, too early but why not offer something positive on a board that all too often is spring-loaded to negativity?  I know, everyone's entitled to their opinion - it's just nice to read an optimistic one.  Are they all Canton-ready?  Nah but it is nice to draw some positives out of that otherwise dismal showing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from cyncalpatfan. Show cyncalpatfan's posts

In response to ATJ's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yeah, too early but why not offer something positive on a board that all too often is spring-loaded to negativity?  I know, everyone's entitled to their opinion - it's just nice to read an optimistic one.  Are they all Canton-ready?  Nah but it is nice to draw some positives out of that otherwise dismal showing.

[/QUOTE]

Amen to that!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Agreed, I take solace in the fact that outside of Vince and Kelly on defense and Solder and the two vets battling for the center position we played with back ups to the back ups.  Tyms who?

As for early assessments I'm all for them, we're assessing these guys during the draft process, no point in stopping now.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I don't see the board interest in the fact that Tymms had some nice catches against 3rd tier depth chart players. He really has no shot at making this roster.

I have much more interest in the fact that I have watched Anderson for 3 weeks now and he still does not cover that well. I thought that was his purpose here? I also have much more interest in the fact that Beauharnis could not see the field last year, has been in the defensive system now for over a year, and still looks lost out there. Couple that with his limitations to playing inside only in this defense, yet he is 230 LBS. 

Based on this roster and the fact that the team was counting on these 2 guys, and what I have seen so far, I don't think I am being negative. I am speaking to what I have seen these past 3 weeks, and voicing my concern. 

On the flip, I have been on this board the past 3 weeks praising what I have seen from Mallett, Boyce, Finch, Stork when he was healthy and many more. 

Let's tone down the "you guys are so negative" and balance it out with the "this team is winning the SB" with some legit discussion of what we are actually seeing now that the players are on the field.

Many of us had concerns with TE, LB and DT in the offseason. We are now discussing it. Again, that's not negative, that's talking about the football team

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

Honestly I think the game turned out almost exactly how BB would have liked it to, with but one exception.  I think BB would have loved if Mallet and Garoppolo had their games reversed, because BB is still holding out hope he can get something for Mallet before his contract expires. 

After all the talk about how our offense was going wild on Washington in practice, and all the news media (and fans) talk about top 5 defense and a return to the Superbowl, BB I'm sure felt he needed something to smack this team back to earth and focus them.  An old fashion drubbing by the Skins in the preseason opener and a absolute smorgasburg of mental errors and breakdowns that he can use to brow beat them during camp is just what the doctor ordered. 

My biggest takeaway from the game though was Garoppolo.  I know he is anything but a polished and finished product, but it was my first time to really get to see him play and I was certainly impressed.  His quick reads and decision making, pocket awareness, scramble ability, quick release, fast and beautiful deep ball, were all things that held promise and really gave me a feeling for the first time that we might finally have a worthy Brady heir.  A couple more years of seasoning and this kid could be something special. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Honestly I think the game turned out almost exactly how BB would have liked it to, with but one exception.  I think BB would have loved if Mallet and Garoppolo had their games reversed, because BB is still holding out hope he can get something for Mallet before his contract expires. 

After all the talk about how our offense was going wild on Washington in practice, and all the news media (and fans) talk about top 5 defense and a return to the Superbowl, BB I'm sure felt he needed something to smack this team back to earth and focus them.  An old fashion drubbing by the Skins in the preseason opener and a absolute smorgasburg of mental errors and breakdowns that he can use to brow beat them during camp is just what the doctor ordered. 

My biggest takeaway from the game though was Garoppolo.  I know he is anything but a polished and finished product, but it was my first time to really get to see him play and I was certainly impressed.  His quick reads and decision making, pocket awareness, scramble ability, quick release, fast and beautiful deep ball, were all things that held promise and really gave me a feeling for the first time that we might finally have a worthy Brady heir.  A couple more years of seasoning and this kid could be something special. 

[/QUOTE]

I agree on the Jimmy G comments. BB has been disinclined to change this offense, preferring to keep adding to on to it. Makes it hard on the WR's and OL, but it works very well with a guy like TB running it. Eventually, Jimmy can step in and BB does not have to change the offense. Tweak of course, but not change.

that being said, I feel Jimmy's time frame is 3-4 years