We all knew in our hearts that we weren't picking at #29,but did you think we would get 4 picks for 1?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

We all knew in our hearts that we weren't picking at #29,but did you think we would get 4 picks for 1?

For all the draft geeks in Patriot nation be honest,you knew didn't you? However 4 for 1 is downright highway robbery! I know I've written for over two months they weren't drafting in the 29 hole,I thought if they traded Mallett before the draft then possibly they stay at 29,but once they hit the halfway mark of round one I realized they weren't picking at 29 nor were they trading Mallett. Most of the guys we've all been clamouring for are still on the board with two exceptions Hopkins and Patterson. I also think they are still trying to trade Mallett but again they won't trade him because noone is willing to surrender a 2nd round draft pick in this years draft and BB is right in his assessment in Mallett's value. So now we all can keep guessing as to who the Patriots will select. I would like an OLB who can cover with one of these new found blessings compliments of Minnesota,then they can go about the business of drafting a WR and a CB that everyone craves. I saw an updated mock draft on CBSSports.com that has The Patriots taking Robert Woods with #52 and Kawann Short at #59. That would appease a lot of the fans but i think they'll have better options. Well no matter who they take they have The Vikings to thank for the much needed draft choices.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

Re: We all knew in our hearts that we weren't picking at #29,but did you think we would get 4 picks for 1?

In response to sportsbozo1's comment:

For all the draft geeks in Patriot nation be honest,you knew didn't you? However 4 for 1 is downright highway robbery! I know I've written for over two months they weren't drafting in the 29 hole,I thought if they traded Mallett before the draft then possibly they stay at 29,but once they hit the halfway mark of round one I realized they weren't picking at 29 nor were they trading Mallett. Most of the guys we've all been clamouring for are still on the board with two exceptions Hopkins and Patterson. I also think they are still trying to trade Mallett but again they won't trade him because noone is willing to surrender a 2nd round draft pick in this years draft and BB is right in his assessment in Mallett's value. So now we all can kep guessing as to who the Patriots will select. I would like an OLB who can cover with one of these new found blessings compliments of Minnesota,then they can go about the business of drafting a WR and a CB that everyone craves. I saw an updated mock draft on CBSSports.com that has The Patriots taking Robert Woods with #52 and Kawann Short at #59. That would appease a lot of the fans but i think they'll have better options. Well no matter who they take they have The Vikings to thank for the much needed draft choices.

per the draft tracker it was fair compensation for both teams. More surprising it was the Vikes as partners giving them 3 first rounders. Wish the Pats usd the pick to secure a lower risk WR, but unfortunately thats not the BB way.  

I would ecpect more trades today, with the final outcome additional potential depth with not a single playmaker/difference maker added.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Re: We all knew in our hearts that we weren't picking at #29,but did you think we would get 4 picks for 1?

In response to rkarp's comment:

For all the draft geeks in Patriot nation be honest,you knew didn't you? However 4 for 1 is downright highway robbery! I know I've written for over two months they weren't drafting in the 29 hole,I thought if they traded Mallett before the draft then possibly they stay at 29,but once they hit the halfway mark of round one I realized they weren't picking at 29 nor were they trading Mallett. Most of the guys we've all been clamouring for are still on the board with two exceptions Hopkins and Patterson. I also think they are still trying to trade Mallett but again they won't trade him because noone is willing to surrender a 2nd round draft pick in this years draft and BB is right in his assessment in Mallett's value. So now we all can kep guessing as to who the Patriots will select. I would like an OLB who can cover with one of these new found blessings compliments of Minnesota,then they can go about the business of drafting a WR and a CB that everyone craves. I saw an updated mock draft on CBSSports.com that has The Patriots taking Robert Woods with #52 and Kawann Short at #59. That would appease a lot of the fans but i think they'll have better options. Well no matter who they take they have The Vikings to thank for the much needed draft choices.

per the draft tracker it was fair compensation for both teams. More surprising it was the Vikes as partners giving them 3 first rounders. Wish the Pats usd the pick to secure a lower risk WR, but unfortunately thats not the BB way.  

I would ecpect more trades today, with the final outcome additional potential depth with not a single playmaker/difference maker added.

I don't know your interpetation of play maker. However there really isn't that much room on this roster anyways. I could see a trade or maybe even two by BB happening tonight. You never know who is going to fall into our laps. Then the tune changes.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

well, a playmaker has to be able to get on the field and play. Taking a lower round pick on a WR that is full of intangibles but wont learn the offense is not my idea of a play maker.
    I would like to see a DT that could break into the rotation. A CB that could unseat RAs on the depth chart and sees snaps every game.
    I would like better depth on the interior OL.
    I dont love Bolden and Washington as depth behind Vareen and Ridley. COuld see a RB in 4 or 5 that makes the team

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

According to Reiss, the count was Pats 648 vs Vikings 640, so how did we fleese them?

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

It was worth it. Bargaining chips now.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Well one mans trash is another mans gold. If you think there is that much of a difference between Patterson and what they wind up drafting that's your opinion. I don't share it but i can agree to disagree with you. As for the fleecing I'm not doing draft tracker points I'm going on the 4 for 1 factor,if you think that 4 isn't better than 1 unless his name is like Adrian Peterson,then your math is different then mine. good luck pooh, poohing the trade!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzyDizzyIzzy. Show BuzyDizzyIzzy's posts

Not surprised at all, this draft SUCKS, a big lack of 1-2nd round talent. Most of these guys taken yesterday would be normally picked up in the 3rd-5th rounds of a GOOD draft. Honestly, I hope we trade a bunch of this years draft picks and roll them into next year which will be a much deeper and more talented class. We really don't have any needs beyond WR and some more depth at CB...........

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

It's widely regarded that this was NOT a top heavy draft. Most previews have maybe 20 guys MAX with a true first round grade.

However, there are a LOT of gus with 2nd/3rd round grades. 

This is the kind of draft I was hopind BB would do exactly this. Whoever they took at 29 was going to be risky because there simply wasn't much, or any, 1st round level talent available.

Sure, we've all heard that before...but just look at how the draft has unfolded so far. No RBs! 1 QB! No 'polished' wrs even in the draft! It was heavy in the trenches...where the Pats are actually very good on both sides of the ball.

29 to the 50s, to me, isn't a horrible move...especially when you pile a 3, 4 and 7 on top of that...in fact, it's a pretty great move.

This isn't really about 'value' as much as quantity. At 29, there was nothing that was screaming for the Pats to take like with Matthews a few seasons back.

Given the recent track record of the past 3 drafts, I'm very comfortable with this strategy, and expect that one pick just turned into 2+ solid to good players. BB had some bad drafts in the late 00s, but has been back to nailing it for 3 years now. Whine about Chad Jackson, Maroney or Meriweather all you want...I'd prefer to look at Gronk, Hernandez, Spikes, Hightower, Jones, McCourty, Ridley, Vereen, Mallett, Edelman, Dennard, Mesko and Vollmer. I excluded Solder, as he was picked in the teens.

I'd call this a fleecing. MIN wanted desperately to trade back up for a WR who seems very raw for a young team without a proven anything besides RB?

Kraft said it best at the team's draft party, basically he said something about how he USED to be concerned with winning the PR Title on draft day, but has grown to realize it's more important to put the correct pieces in place to make the team better over time than to create a little buzz or be a draft "winner" when 85% is yet to be determined (as MIN is today).

Pats are draft winners. How do I determine that? 10 playoff appearances, 5 SB appearances, with 3 wins, and a perfect regular season in 12 years. You don't do that unless you're a BIG TIME draft winner. The two years they MISSED the playoffs, they went a combined 20-12.

TJ Whosyourmama...Winnerrrrr!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TSWFAN. Show TSWFAN's posts

Well one mans trash is another mans gold. If you think there is that much of a difference between Patterson and what they wind up drafting that's your opinion. I don't share it but i can agree to disagree with you. As for the fleecing I'm not doing draft tracker points I'm going on the 4 for 1 factor,if you think that 4 isn't better than 1 unless his name is like Adrian Peterson,then your math is different then mine. good luck pooh, poohing the trade!

I am not poohing the trade but we could be trading a cruiser for four rowboats.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from CablesWyndBairn. Show CablesWyndBairn's posts

I think the trade was worth it.  If there were no sureshot prospects on the Pats' board and if they think they can get a good player in the 2nd round - fine.  They have unearthed some gems as of late in later rounds (Hernandez, Gronk, Spikes, Dennard, etc.) and can now move up to get guys that fit their needs.  I'd like to see them be aggressive and take a chance on a guy like Hunt or Mathieu.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats-bilbo. Show Pats-bilbo's posts

If there is someone on the board the Pats really like, they could still trade up and get them, a swap of 2 and a 7th or two should do it and so this picture is not complete yet.... maybe they have 4 or 5 they really like and figure one or two will fall to them or they can trade up if others start taking them.

Everyone says we need D-line , we picked up two guys from Canada and without a high impact guy do we really need this? I think we need O-line more. We need a few receivers or one good one and CB/LB depth would help. We can get all that with the draft choices we have left.... Who the players will be is a guessing game.. the needs are not.

So I say

1. WR

2. O-line

3. DB - CB or Safety

4. Cover LB

5. D-line

So of course BB will pick a RB or QB... HAHHAHA...

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

I think the draft chart is a little outdated given changes to the struction of the draft, but I also think it depends very much on the talent available in the draft at the ranges where a trade is made.

So last year the value of the top two picks was off the charts because everyone knew that those two were franchise QBs. So Washingto got fleeced per the chart, but got very good value per the actual talent.

Oakland got fleeced this year getting a second rounder #10 I believe for moving back 9 spots from number 3 - but given the talent evaluation they reportedly made they made out very well replacing a missing 2nd rounder and having a choice between their two top players Hayden and Floyd at the later spot.

Etc.

For the Pat's trade - it was basically equal by the chart, but given the lack of any consensus on the talent from 20 - 60 in this particular draft, and the mild drop off in talent after the second round and through the start of the fourth, I think they feel they made out like bandits, and I tend to agree. They were very short on quality picks in this draft going in, and they now have 5 in what they consider the sweet spot.

As for Patterson - personally I am happy they didn't draft him. The only exciting first round receiver was Austin and they had no chance of getting him. Patterson is not a good fit at least as he currently plays - not disciplined enough and not mature enough. I see him as a Stephen Hill type of player - he may become a great receiver, but he sure isn't one today. If you do not read the defenses exactly as you are supposed to and are not exactly where TB expects you to be on every route you run, you are getting thrown to no matter how physically gifted you might be.

I think the receivers the Pats want would all have been classified as 'reaches' if they drafted them at 29. I suspect their #1 WR is Allen and they may move up a little today to get him. He has big hands which I think the Pats value playing outdoors in the NE to go with other good traits.

Going to be a fun day.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from mia76. Show mia76's posts

Oh yeah - on Mallett - I could see the Pats trading for a 3rd rounder this year and a second next or some variation of that involving a Pats 2014 being swapped for a lower round 2014

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Quagmire3. Show Quagmire3's posts

these additional picks give BB a shot at Lattimore in the 4th, maybe Honey Badger in the 4th, maybe DJ Swearinger in the 3rd. Lots of quality players available.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

the player that the Vikes chose is irrelevant. the player that the Pats passed at 29 vs the players they choose with the remaining picks are what is relevant.

did the Pats pass on Jenkins, Carradine, Alford, Woods ....that is how to debate if the Pats move was wise, not how Patterson pans out

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from hoyle. Show hoyle's posts

BB  saved a little in cap space by not drafting in the first and any rookie that beats out a Vet will also save some $$$$ towards the cap.

Why shop at Nordstroms when there's Target !

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BuzyDizzyIzzy. Show BuzyDizzyIzzy's posts

Building blocks? Um, when the draft's 1st round consists of mostly lineman(who again even in a deep draft would not be 1st round material), I would not call it a great draft for building blocks.

Did anyone actually watch significant college ball this last year? I mean.........look, you had ND in the title game with a full cast of average players........ND's TE in the first round? Get real........the draft this year is noit top heavy...........its not even deep..........its loaded with normally low round draft picks............again people buy into the hype on the media of this draft not being "top heavy" or with franchise players.........but its "deep" with mid round talent is a joke...........this is a cr@p class......probably the worst I have seen in over 2 plus decades......its terrible. I would not want to use this draft as a "building block" year for a rebuilding nfl team. Its that bad.

I just hope the Patriots roll some of this year's picks into next years draft.......and only grab a few prospects for depth at WR and CB........thats about it.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BostonTrollSpanker. Show BostonTrollSpanker's posts

"That said,  you can't apply the average trade scale here because the girth of the talent is from Rd 2-4 or even into Rd 5."

I tend to agree. I didn't want to like this trade as I"m looking for some game changing players but I can't argue with BB's logic here. 

"Case closed. It was a total fleece job, barring Patterson morphing into Randy MOss which ain't happening."

Well see that's the thing about the draft, you don't know. Randy Moss, no. But if he ends up being an impact receiver and we have trouble in that area and struggle in the post-season there could be some what-ifs. Of course it depends on how our four picks turn out. 

I'm happy with "apparent fleecing" but a definitive "you got fleeced" verdict can only be given in retrospect

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wonderdrums. Show wonderdrums's posts

In response to RidingWithTheKingII's comment:

In response to BuzyDizzyIzzy's comment:

Not surprised at all, this draft SUCKS, a big lack of 1-2nd round talent. Most of these guys taken yesterday would be normally picked up in the 3rd-5th rounds of a GOOD draft. Honestly, I hope we trade a bunch of this years draft picks and roll them into next year which will be a much deeper and more talented class. We really don't have any needs beyond WR and some more depth at CB...........

You keep saying it sucks, but it doesn't for teams who want a slew of quality building blocks.

It only sucks if you're a moron team like the Jets, Vikes, Jags, etc.   Barring being close like a team like Atlanta, SF, etc, there is no point in pretending that trading back isn't a good idea.

From our perspective, since our team is pretty much built on both sides of the ball, it may not be the best draft, but if you have picks in the sweet spot and middle, you are in good shape and pretty much guaranteee yourself a good strong yield.

Deep does not mean it "sucks".  It just doesn't have a heavy top, so to speak.

I didn't think this draft sucked at all as far as talent either. There were two or three franchise LT's, and DT's picked within the first ten selections.  Just because the players position or names aren't flashy doesn't mean its a bad draft. 

Now to answer the post

I didn't think you could get 4 picks for a late first rounder. Aside from money, is there a big difference between an early 2nd or a late 1rst? I'd always rather see NE pick in the first round, but I can't argue that they have a better chance of finding a few players that stick to the roster with the multiple 2nd and 3rd round selections they have now. They could find some solid depth at multiple positions by drafting, or they could trade a few picks for a proven player. Either way, the odds of success are better. 

Go Pats!  

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

The "draft value chart" doesn't take into account a draft's overall talent or depth.  As many others hae stated, there is plenty of 2nd/3rd round talent this year that isn't an eye lash different than the Top 10 guys.  The compensation that we got for #29 was simply outstanding, IMO.  Also, for everyone whinning about not drafting Patterson, watch the tape.  He has talent, no doubt, but the poor, inconsistent, sloppy routes are obvious and the mental errors are alarming.  There is no way he would have made it in NE's complex system.  Minnesota is actually a good spot for him.  They can just send him downfield every play and since their crappy QB is so innaccurate anyway, it won't really matter if he runs the right route or not.  :)

Sections
Shortcuts