We are wasting a roster spot on #5

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

Re: We are wasting a roster spot on #5

In response to PatsEng's comment:

In response to zbellino's comment:

Knowing BB, it's a host of small reasons that justify it. 

1.) He helps them scout teams with running Qbs. 

2.) He makes teams have to prepare *something* in case he plays, because the O is so different with him in it, even if it's overall very inferior. Any resources a team wastes are wasted. All the Pats need to do is flash one or two option plays, and opposing teams have to prepare like they have many more.

3.) He contributes on special teams/depth at FB etc. Using him on punt protection, though, is something I'll add they can continue to work on. Because he is expendable, you don't worry about him getting injured, but he can throw a lot better than a RB, and run a lot better than a QB, and has a frame that could block. Trick plays could be an option. 

I'd cut him too and get a real third stringer, but hey that's me. 

The 2nd point I see where people are coming from but in reality no team is going to plan for a couple tricks plays when they are facing Brady. If I was the opposing DC I'd actually hope BB took Brady off the field and brought Tebow in, not be worried how to plan for it. I'd just tell my guys if both are on the field 1 guy has to watch Tebow for the draw otherwise treat it the same as if Ridley or Vereen were back there and Brady might throw the ball and dare BB to use a plan which Tebow threw it. I honestly don't think any DC would give more than 30mins to planning for Tebow at any point during the week as I doubt BB gave more than that when Tebow was on the Jets.

I agree.  Opposing DC must love the thought of TT replacing TB.  What a gift. How much could the possibly be preparing for the 3rd string QB?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to MoreRings' comment:

I agree.  Opposing DC must love the thought of TT replacing TB.  What a gift. How much could the possibly be preparing for the 3rd string QB?

What I don't get is why people think the option is such a difficult thing to plan for and why it's so mysterious. Yes at first teams had to figure it out but last year and the year before not only the Pats but teams around the league showed how to do it. You have your DE disengage from his blocker and hold his ground spying the runner. He doesn't engage just has to hold his position to prevent the runner from advancing until help in the form of a LB comes. Than one stays at the line while the other advances in the runners throwing lane. The only way the option works is if the DE gets agressive and doesn't play his position or if the runner can actually throw the ball. It worked not once not twice but 4 times against Tebow when the Pats faced him in 11' and 12'. Nink and Jones both held their ground at the line and forced Tebow to make a play which more often than not he couldn't. Not that hard to plan for or execute.

3. This post has been removed.

4. This post has been removed.

5. This post has been removed.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Not endorsing Tebow, but Babe has a point about Luck. Yes, his team won games but maybe in spite of him. He really wasn't any good. But the media falls all over themsleves to say how great he was. There was even MVP talk! What?

If Brady played like him last year, we'd be marching on Foxboro with torches and pitchforks demanding they start Mallett. 

23 passing TDs (plus 5 rushing) and 23 turnovers, 54% completions, 76.5 QB rating (below Gabbert!). Brutal.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

I finally got around to watching a quick replay of the Eagles game.  I liked what I saw for the most part, considering it was the first pre-season game.  One thing I didn't like was that BB hasn't cut Tebow yet.  The guy is undescribebly bad and will not improve.  He has been working on his "throwing" for 5 years now, and it looks just as terrible as it always has.  He isn't going to ever get to where he needs to be to play as an NFL QB.  Can we please use his roster spot on a QB who can actually throw?

That wind up and release though....smh, Only the whole stadium knows where the pass is going. Its not enough that he throws an accurate pass every 10 throws but he also telepraghs his targets with that molasses release and his only good throw is the skinny post when its wide open. They ran a playaction , 1st read to wide open fb/te and he just froze up! That would have done it for me. YOU can see Joshy on the sidelines yelling at him like "are u serious? u gotta throw the ball, ur killing ME, I told BB to give u a shot and u do this??"  Not looking good at all. Time to scrap that gimmick and look for a real backup before its too late.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Great posts Z. Great FACTS too. Babe could learn a lot from your posts. Comparing Luck to Tebow is the craziest thing I have ever read. Anyone who actually watches the games would laugh hysterically at that.  Luck looks like the next great NFL QB, while Tebow looks like a CFL QB job would be way to much for him. Running the option isn't going to trick anyone. Waste of a roster spot.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

I finally got around to watching a quick replay of the Eagles game.  I liked what I saw for the most part, considering it was the first pre-season game.  One thing I didn't like was that BB hasn't cut Tebow yet.  The guy is undescribebly bad and will not improve.  He has been working on his "throwing" for 5 years now, and it looks just as terrible as it always has.  He isn't going to ever get to where he needs to be to play as an NFL QB.  Can we please use his roster spot on a QB who can actually throw?

That wind up and release though....smh, Only the whole stadium knows where the pass is going. Its not enough that he throws an accurate pass every 10 throws but he also telepraghs his targets with that molasses release and his only good throw is the skinny post when its wide open. They ran a playaction , 1st read to wide open fb/te and he just froze up! That would have done it for me. YOU can see Joshy on the sidelines yelling at him like "are u serious? u gotta throw the ball, ur killing ME, I told BB to give u a shot and u do this??"  Not looking good at all. Time to scrap that gimmick and look for a real backup before its too late.

Add to that, he takes waay too long making reads in the backfield. Every report from New England basically emphasizes how much slower he's looked with 2nd team reps in his reads than Brady or Mallet. 

This, coupled with the slow, awkward release and footwork, basically ensure he'll never be a real NFL QB. He's had a whole college career and three years in the NFL to fix this stuff. At some point it's just a fact, he isn't a good (or smart) enough athlete to fix it.

C'est la vie. Why people feel the need, at this late hour, while the guy is languishing on the 3rd string, to keep boosting him like he was a mistreated star, is just beyond me. 

Thats my gripe as well. he has shown who he is. He is not gonna change his mechanics in year 6, 7 or 8. I admit he is a nice guy and tough and a football player but not worth keeping around as he cant play QB and any other position he plays,he would be just average. Lets move on please

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Tom Brady may be in great physical shape for a 36 year old, but he's seen about three NFL careers worth of play so far.  Older football players don't last forever, although quarterbacks and kickers tend to fight that tendency better than most. 

So, it's fair to ask, if Brady's knee hurts some dark day in October and he trots off with the trainer, who other than Tim Tebow should be the Patriots' third quarterback?  Do you have anyone in mind?  What is their win-loss record?  Can they manage?

5:15 p.m.  It's been two hours and I see no suggestions.  Is there somebody experienced at quarterback and sitting at home by the phone that could effectively take Tim Tebow's place as a backup quarterback by, say, October 1?

12. This post has been removed.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

15. This post has been removed.

16. This post has been removed.

17. This post has been removed.

18. This post has been removed.

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

The entire NFL isn't wrong about Tebow

The entire NFLincludes BB. And BB signed Tebow and has been using him as a QB.

And as a punt protector. The guy is basically a running scout QB for practice. He'll probably be cut at some point.

The real question is ... which team is starting him?

You know for a fact what his role will be? Please share your sources.

He won't be New England's starting QB. They are using him in punt protection in camp. BB was discussing how he gives them "looks" in camp to prepare for running QBs earlier on. 

No I don't know for "fact" what his role will be down the road ... I know what they have him doing in camp, as does everyone else.

I project from that. 

I heard he is playing QB in camp. Same as Mallet. No?

No. Not even remotely the same. Mallett knows how to throw a football.

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

I agree 100%--for the life of me I cannot understand this signing-The guy has been playing QB since he was probably 5 years old and he can't throw the football! Does anyone think he's going to all of a sudden throw with any kind of accuracy--It's too bad becacuase if he could complete even 60 % of his throws he would be an awesome threat with the way he can tuck it and run. And I don't see a position for him,TE-nope,FB-Nope--Cut this guy and as an extra bonus you get rid of the Media circus that seems to follow him-why they do baffles me?

23. This post has been removed.

24. This post has been removed.

25. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts