We are wasting a roster spot on #5

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: We are wasting a roster spot on #5

In response to zbellino's comment:

Knowing BB, it's a host of small reasons that justify it. 

1.) He helps them scout teams with running Qbs. 

2.) He makes teams have to prepare *something* in case he plays, because the O is so different with him in it, even if it's overall very inferior. Any resources a team wastes are wasted. All the Pats need to do is flash one or two option plays, and opposing teams have to prepare like they have many more.

3.) He contributes on special teams/depth at FB etc. Using him on punt protection, though, is something I'll add they can continue to work on. Because he is expendable, you don't worry about him getting injured, but he can throw a lot better than a RB, and run a lot better than a QB, and has a frame that could block. Trick plays could be an option. 

I'd cut him too and get a real third stringer, but hey that's me. 

The 2nd point I see where people are coming from but in reality no team is going to plan for a couple tricks plays when they are facing Brady. If I was the opposing DC I'd actually hope BB took Brady off the field and brought Tebow in, not be worried how to plan for it. I'd just tell my guys if both are on the field 1 guy has to watch Tebow for the draw otherwise treat it the same as if Ridley or Vereen were back there and Brady might throw the ball and dare BB to use a plan which Tebow threw it. I honestly don't think any DC would give more than 30mins to planning for Tebow at any point during the week as I doubt BB gave more than that when Tebow was on the Jets.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

2.) He makes teams have to prepare *something* in case he plays, because the O is so different with him in it, even if it's overall very inferior. Any resources a team wastes are wasted. All the Pats need to do is flash one or two option plays, and opposing teams have to prepare like they have many more.

3.) He contributes on special teams/depth at FB etc. Using him on punt protection, though, is something I'll add they can continue to work on. Because he is expendable, you don't worry about him getting injured, but he can throw a lot better than a RB, and run a lot better than a QB, and has a frame that could block. Trick plays could be an option. 

The 2nd point I see where people are coming from but in reality no team is going to plan for a couple tricks plays when they are facing Brady. If I was the opposing DC I'd actually hope BB took Brady off the field and brought Tebow in, not be worried how to plan for it. I'd just tell my guys if both are on the field 1 guy has to watch Tebow for the draw otherwise treat it the same as if Ridley or Vereen were back there and Brady might throw the ball and dare BB to use a plan which Tebow threw it. I honestly don't think any DC would give more than 30mins to planning for Tebow at any point during the week as I doubt BB gave more than that when Tebow was on the Jets.

I agree.  Opposing DC must love the thought of TT replacing TB.  What a gift. How much could the possibly be preparing for the 3rd string QB?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Those numbers are wrong anyhow. You are adding two seasons. One where he was used sporadically as a gimmick QB and another where people saw him as a full-time starter. You were adding rushing output and passing output together, but not adding fumbles (which he does quite often).

Here is the one season of Tebow starting ... it's bad. 

Tebow 2011

2389 total yards 18 total tds 12 total turnovers

That's really, really bad. You just need more statisical output at the QB spot than that. 

More TDs, a higher TD to Turnover ratio, and much more yards. The yards are really the sticking point. 

Sure you can add two seasons together for him ... but it's not accurate about what you'll really get. Even an average QB outdoes those numbers in raw yardage production, even if his turnover ratio is still in that same range. 

I'm not even against running QBs, as I DO believe you can (within limits) add running production to passing production. 

The problem is ... you need to throw ... at some point you are going to be in a downs and long scenario and a 48% isn't going to cut it. Your team, it NEEDS to throw efficiently to win in the modern NFL. 

Long story short ... PatsEng is right.

You *cannot* get around the 48% completion percent thing. All the running in the world won't make up for it. The average Yards per completion in the NFL is something like 11 to 12 yards depending on the season. The average yards per rush is something like 4.

Run that math.

Tebow's legs can't make up for his terrible mechanics as a passer.

He would be best used, as I said at his draft, as a special teams player. He should have been UDFA-ed, and brought somewhere to earn his spot. But his celebrity got him a shot.  

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to MoreRings' comment:

I agree.  Opposing DC must love the thought of TT replacing TB.  What a gift. How much could the possibly be preparing for the 3rd string QB?

What I don't get is why people think the option is such a difficult thing to plan for and why it's so mysterious. Yes at first teams had to figure it out but last year and the year before not only the Pats but teams around the league showed how to do it. You have your DE disengage from his blocker and hold his ground spying the runner. He doesn't engage just has to hold his position to prevent the runner from advancing until help in the form of a LB comes. Than one stays at the line while the other advances in the runners throwing lane. The only way the option works is if the DE gets agressive and doesn't play his position or if the runner can actually throw the ball. It worked not once not twice but 4 times against Tebow when the Pats faced him in 11' and 12'. Nink and Jones both held their ground at the line and forced Tebow to make a play which more often than not he couldn't. Not that hard to plan for or execute.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

If you remove Tebow the person and look hard at the games he won and his actually throwing stats it's hard for anyone to argue he's a NFL QB.

Well then, I guess you think Andrew Luck will never make it as an NFL QB because Tebow is at least his equal when you look at wins and stats (and Tebow did that while getting thrown under the bus publicly, while Luck has had the red carpet treatment).

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to MoreRings' comment:

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I doubt very much the opposing team would like to see Tebow rather than Brady late in the third quarter down say 31 - 10. Much simpler for them to have Brady in just handing off to burn clock and stop the run than to have to worry about an extra option of Tebow running as well as the backs.

And if you think a 31 - 10 lead late in the 3rd is safe then you must not have seen our D or running game in situations like that much.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Interestingly, in the one season Denver let him play much Tebow had....

An 88.5 passer rating (near top 10 that year) with 9 TDs and 3 INTs.

Of course that was in 7 away games where he didn't have Horseface Elway looking down on him after throwing him under the bus to the press. It is absolutely disgraceful the way this guy was treated in Denver. And it's borderline disgraceful the way he gets treated right here.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Here is the one season of Tebow starting ... it's bad. 

Tebow 2011

2389 total yards 18 total tds 12 total turnovers

That's really, really bad. 

Then you must think Luck is really really bad as well.

Luck provided a TD either passing or running every 29.9 plays in 2012. Tebow provided a TD passing or running every 21.8 plays in 2011.

I guess by your production standards Luck should be the one headed for Canada.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Not endorsing Tebow, but Babe has a point about Luck. Yes, his team won games but maybe in spite of him. He really wasn't any good. But the media falls all over themsleves to say how great he was. There was even MVP talk! What?

If Brady played like him last year, we'd be marching on Foxboro with torches and pitchforks demanding they start Mallett. 

23 passing TDs (plus 5 rushing) and 23 turnovers, 54% completions, 76.5 QB rating (below Gabbert!). Brutal.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No one "fears" the option offense. But you do need to prepare for it. Defending the option means taking a step back to the 1960s on defense and gap control. Players don't do this naturally. 

Yeah, Tebow is overall ineffective, but as a trick play he wastes some time for other teams in preparation. NE always has (more in the past) run trick plays, and that is half the reason. Teams have to prepare for it, which wastes resources. 

I just think about it that way. Run it once or twice just to show you might. Or don't. It's a smidge of added value for a guy who is really going to be a punt protector at best. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

I finally got around to watching a quick replay of the Eagles game.  I liked what I saw for the most part, considering it was the first pre-season game.  One thing I didn't like was that BB hasn't cut Tebow yet.  The guy is undescribebly bad and will not improve.  He has been working on his "throwing" for 5 years now, and it looks just as terrible as it always has.  He isn't going to ever get to where he needs to be to play as an NFL QB.  Can we please use his roster spot on a QB who can actually throw?

That wind up and release though....smh, Only the whole stadium knows where the pass is going. Its not enough that he throws an accurate pass every 10 throws but he also telepraghs his targets with that molasses release and his only good throw is the skinny post when its wide open. They ran a playaction , 1st read to wide open fb/te and he just froze up! That would have done it for me. YOU can see Joshy on the sidelines yelling at him like "are u serious? u gotta throw the ball, ur killing ME, I told BB to give u a shot and u do this??"  Not looking good at all. Time to scrap that gimmick and look for a real backup before its too late.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

Interestingly, in the one season Denver let him play much Tebow had....

An 88.5 passer rating (near top 10 that year) with 9 TDs and 3 INTs.

Of course that was in 7 away games where he didn't have Horseface Elway looking down on him after throwing him under the bus to the press. It is absolutely disgraceful the way this guy was treated in Denver. And it's borderline disgraceful the way he gets treated right here.

You mean by drafting him higher than most expected and totally re-authoring their offense around the read-option to make him "comfortable" it was disgraceful?

He wasn't good. Denver's *defense* was really standout the year he played, and they were standout the year after he left, while he couldn't make it out of the #3 spot on a team with Mark Sanchez as its QB.

I'm not sure about using home and away stats, because if Tebow can't play because one guy is watching him who he doesn't like, or doesn't like him, he's not pro-material. 

But if it matters ... Luck was even better at home as much as Tebow was on the road.

-------------------------------------------------------------

At any given rate, as starters (not as a gimmick one off play in option) here are their stats. Mind you Tebow wasn't a rookie, and was basically playing the same offense he did all the way through college ... very, very little adjustment needed to be made on his part compared to the average college QB coming in. 

Tebow had 17 total TDs as a starter, and 12 turnovers. 

Luck had 28 TDs and 23 turnovers. 

It's all basically similar.

Tebow's read-option offense as a starter averaged about 17.5 points per game. 

Luck got the Colts to 22.3 points per game. 

Tebow accounted for 2389 yards of total offense. 

Luck accounted for 4630 yards of offense for his team.

It's not even a competition. The only reason it's that close is because Tebow had a monster defense backing him while his offense sputtered over and over again. If not for them, he never would have won at all putting up "winning" scores like: 18, 17, 17, 16, and 13.

With Tebow you are stuck with a dysfunctional read-option offense that will never work at the NFL level. 

With Luck ... even as a rookie, you are getting literally twice the outpout in yardage, which means you are actually moving the chains, and you are getting almost 5 more points per game, again even as a rookie. 

Moreover, Luck looks to improve (if he doesn't those numbers won't jibe for long because the turnovers are acceptable for a rookie, but not a second or third year guy). While Tebow is essentially in a standstill, running read-option plays in practice for NE, while spending his time in punt-protection. 

The entire NFL isn't wrong about Tebow ... people who wish on their stars he'd be good are.  I wish the whole story about the most overhyped guy would just go away, an oddity is all it is. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

[QUOTE]

I finally got around to watching a quick replay of the Eagles game.  I liked what I saw for the most part, considering it was the first pre-season game.  One thing I didn't like was that BB hasn't cut Tebow yet.  The guy is undescribebly bad and will not improve.  He has been working on his "throwing" for 5 years now, and it looks just as terrible as it always has.  He isn't going to ever get to where he needs to be to play as an NFL QB.  Can we please use his roster spot on a QB who can actually throw?

That wind up and release though....smh, Only the whole stadium knows where the pass is going. Its not enough that he throws an accurate pass every 10 throws but he also telepraghs his targets with that molasses release and his only good throw is the skinny post when its wide open. They ran a playaction , 1st read to wide open fb/te and he just froze up! That would have done it for me. YOU can see Joshy on the sidelines yelling at him like "are u serious? u gotta throw the ball, ur killing ME, I told BB to give u a shot and u do this??"  Not looking good at all. Time to scrap that gimmick and look for a real backup before its too late.

[/QUOTE]

Add to that, he takes waay too long making reads in the backfield. Every report from New England basically emphasizes how much slower he's looked with 2nd team reps in his reads than Brady or Mallet. 

This, coupled with the slow, awkward release and footwork, basically ensure he'll never be a real NFL QB. He's had a whole college career and three years in the NFL to fix this stuff. At some point it's just a fact, he isn't a good (or smart) enough athlete to fix it.

C'est la vie. Why people feel the need, at this late hour, while the guy is languishing on the 3rd string, to keep boosting him like he was a mistreated star, is just beyond me. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

Great posts Z. Great FACTS too. Babe could learn a lot from your posts. Comparing Luck to Tebow is the craziest thing I have ever read. Anyone who actually watches the games would laugh hysterically at that.  Luck looks like the next great NFL QB, while Tebow looks like a CFL QB job would be way to much for him. Running the option isn't going to trick anyone. Waste of a roster spot.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:

Add to that, he takes waay too long making reads in the backfield. Every report from New England basically emphasizes how much slower he's looked with 2nd team reps in his reads than Brady or Mallet. 

This, coupled with the slow, awkward release and footwork, basically ensure he'll never be a real NFL QB. He's had a whole college career and three years in the NFL to fix this stuff. At some point it's just a fact, he isn't a good (or smart) enough athlete to fix it.

C'est la vie. Why people feel the need, at this late hour, while the guy is languishing on the 3rd string, to keep boosting him like he was a mistreated star, is just beyond me. 

Thats my gripe as well. he has shown who he is. He is not gonna change his mechanics in year 6, 7 or 8. I admit he is a nice guy and tough and a football player but not worth keeping around as he cant play QB and any other position he plays,he would be just average. Lets move on please

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Tom Brady may be in great physical shape for a 36 year old, but he's seen about three NFL careers worth of play so far.  Older football players don't last forever, although quarterbacks and kickers tend to fight that tendency better than most. 

So, it's fair to ask, if Brady's knee hurts some dark day in October and he trots off with the trainer, who other than Tim Tebow should be the Patriots' third quarterback?  Do you have anyone in mind?  What is their win-loss record?  Can they manage?

5:15 p.m.  It's been two hours and I see no suggestions.  Is there somebody experienced at quarterback and sitting at home by the phone that could effectively take Tim Tebow's place as a backup quarterback by, say, October 1?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

The entire NFL isn't wrong about Tebow

The entire NFL includes BB. And BB signed Tebow and has been using him as a QB.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Comparing Luck to Tebow is the craziest thing I have ever read. Anyone who actually watches the games would laugh hysterically at that.

Translation: Facts mean nothing in the face of cliche driven phoney expertise.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

The entire NFLincludes BB. And BB signed Tebow and has been using him as a QB.

[/QUOTE]

And as a punt protector. The guy is basically a running scout QB for practice. He'll probably be cut at some point.

The real question is ... which team is starting him?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

It's not even a competition. The only reason it's that close is because Tebow had a monster defense backing him while his offense sputtered over and over again.

What does the defense have to do with your original point that Luck is more productive than Tebow?

I pointed out that Tebow produced TDs more frequently than Luck per touch. That is a fact. Just because the repugnant Elway commanded Tebow not get the ball that much isn't his fault.

I've never said Tebow is going to be a good NFL QB. What I have said is that based on the facts it is still unknown and unlike many I am not going to trash the guy based on some bogus fan eye teast. (Nor the NFL's penchant for drama queen blacklisting.)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And as a punt protector. The guy is basically a running scout QB for practice. He'll probably be cut at some point.

[/QUOTE]

You know for a fact what his role will be? Please share your sources.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

Comparing Luck to Tebow is the craziest thing I have ever read. Anyone who actually watches the games would laugh hysterically at that.

Translation: Facts mean nothing in the face of cliche driven phoney expertise.

[/QUOTE]

The guy had two goes to land a starting job and keep it. He didn't do that. He failed at running any offense that wasn't the option ... and the option was essentially a failure in Denver. 

Luck was a rookie running a pretty sophisticated passing offense.

One ran a bottom ten offense in his second season.

The other ran a top ten offense in his rookie season.  

They are apples and oranges. Just because their overall TD-turnover ratios are similar doesn't make them comparable unless you basically cut Tebow an intersate highway's worth of slack.

One has upside as a first tier quarterback in the NFL ... the other looks like a 3rd stringer who can play some special teams. 

What about this is really hard?

What skin do you have in this game? I haven't seen someone doggedly pursue the Tebow thing in a year or so. Not since the epic failure in New Jersey.

Are you a Gators fan? A born again Christian who loves Tebow?

What gives?

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

It's not even a competition. The only reason it's that close is because Tebow had a monster defense backing him while his offense sputtered over and over again.

What does the defense have to do with your original point that Luck is more productive than Tebow?

I pointed out that Tebow produced TDs more frequently than Luck per touch. That is a fact. Just because the repugnant Elway commanded Tebow not get the ball that much isn't his fault.

I've never said Tebow is going to be a good NFL QB. What I have said is that based on the facts it is still unknown and unlike many I am not going to trash the guy based on some bogus fan eye teast. (Nor the NFL's penchant for drama queen blacklisting.)

[/QUOTE]

Wait, so now Elway is "blacklisting Tebow" and reducing his touches?

Do you have sources for that wild claim? Ones that state it specifically?

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You know for a fact what his role will be? Please share your sources.

[/QUOTE]

He won't be New England's starting QB. They are using him in punt protection in camp. BB was discussing how he gives them "looks" in camp to prepare for running QBs earlier on. 

No I don't know for "fact" what his role will be down the road ... I know what they have him doing in camp, as does everyone else.

I project from that. 

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

You mean by drafting him higher than most expected and totally re-authoring their offense around the read-option to make him "comfortable" it was disgraceful?

It is quite clear that with the departure of McDaniels Tebow was completely thrown under the bus by Elway. The lack of support was appalling.

And it seems SF adjusted to a read option once Kaepernick was installed. And Harbaugh chose that over an established QB in Smith. The same has been done in other cases. How is the read option only a sign of incompetence to you in Tebow's case?