We are wasting a roster spot on #5

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Re: We are wasting a roster spot on #5

In response to zbellino's comment:

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

[QUOTE]

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

[QUOTE]

Comparing Luck to Tebow is the craziest thing I have ever read. Anyone who actually watches the games would laugh hysterically at that.

Translation: Facts mean nothing in the face of cliche driven phoney expertise.

[/QUOTE]

The guy had two goes to land a starting job and keep it. He didn't do that. He failed at running any offense that wasn't the option ... and the option was essentially a failure in Denver. 

[/QUOTE]

Hunh? Tebow took the job away from Orton who is considered a decent if not stellar NFL QB. He brought the team to the playoffs and beat the Steelers. Only Elway being the anal tool he was born to be caused Tebow's demise in Denver. And I might point out that Tebow didn't go one and out like his successor, Fetus Head.

Are you really going to try and put the jets year up as an example of how Tebow couldn't be the starter? Those anal tools have stuck with that chump Sanchez far farfar beyond where any other team would.

Frankly, I can't think of a guy who has been more screwed than Tebow at the start of a career, between being completely undermined by that a--hole Elway and then being sent to the ridiculous circus that is the Rexy jets.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

The problem is ... you need to throw ... at some point you are going to be in a downs and long scenario and a 48% isn't going to cut it. Your team, it NEEDS to throw efficiently to win in the modern NFL. 

And Luck's 54% is going to cut it?

Another factor is that Luck's stats were very pumped up in the dome.

Outdoors he had 9 TDs vs 11 INTs. In the dome he had 14 TDs and 7 INTs. He also had almost 10 points more passer rating indoors.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

It's not even a competition. The only reason it's that close is because Tebow had a monster defense backing him while his offense sputtered over and over again.

What does the defense have to do with your original point that Luck is more productive than Tebow?

I pointed out that Tebow produced TDs more frequently than Luck per touch. That is a fact. Just because the repugnant Elway commanded Tebow not get the ball that much isn't his fault.

I've never said Tebow is going to be a good NFL QB. What I have said is that based on the facts it is still unknown and unlike many I am not going to trash the guy based on some bogus fan eye teast. (Nor the NFL's penchant for drama queen blacklisting.)

[/QUOTE]

TD's per touch? What does that even mean? Are you adding pass attempts plus rushing attempts or something and dividing them by TDS? That is an incredibly backward, rushing QB-centric, way to evaluate quarterbacks. Passing QBs would always lose because they pass more often, and are bigger parts of a less "play" efficient part of the offense, which inflates their "touches."

I mean, come on ... in 2004 Brady had a TD per 21 touches ... he threw 530 passes. He was an all-star ... light years above anything Tebow had done. Are you saying they are somehow the "same?" 

If you are looking at a QB look at the whole offense. Luck was driving his team up and down the field. Tebow was the beneficiary of a great defense that gave him tons of times to score and short fields to score with.

Tebow's offense was not good. 17.5 ppg.

Luck's offense was very good. 22.3 ppg.

BRady's offense, in that season, was stellar. 27.5 ppg. 

All of those extra yards Luck threw for mean something. He was putting his whole offense in position to score. Score running TDs, score passing TDs, score FGs. 

Tebow wasn't doing that very well. 

There isn't some plot by Elways to besmirch the kid. He didn't like what he saw. Their offense was bottom of the barrel. He wanted to improve it. He did ... dramatically. 

If I were a Broncos fan, I'd be thanking my lucky stars Elway got rid of Tebow. I'd also be praying they start drafting a young QB now, but that's another story.  

What does the defense have to do with it? Are you seriously asking that question. You pretty much daily extoll how hard it is for Brady to play behind a mediocre defense. It is harder. You don't get short fields. You have pressure on you all the time to a.) pass, and b.) score. 

Tebow didn't have that. He could roll out there, score 14-17 points during that stretch and call it a good day. That's what I mean.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

The entire NFL isn't wrong about Tebow

The entire NFLincludes BB. And BB signed Tebow and has been using him as a QB.

[/QUOTE]

And as a punt protector. The guy is basically a running scout QB for practice. He'll probably be cut at some point.

The real question is ... which team is starting him?

[/QUOTE]

You know for a fact what his role will be? Please share your sources.

[/QUOTE]

He won't be New England's starting QB. They are using him in punt protection in camp. BB was discussing how he gives them "looks" in camp to prepare for running QBs earlier on. 

No I don't know for "fact" what his role will be down the road ... I know what they have him doing in camp, as does everyone else.

I project from that. 

[/QUOTE]

I heard he is playing QB in camp. Same as Mallet. No?

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

You mean by drafting him higher than most expected and totally re-authoring their offense around the read-option to make him "comfortable" it was disgraceful?

It is quite clear that with the departure of McDaniels Tebow was completely thrown under the bus by Elway. The lack of support was appalling.

And it seems SF adjusted to a read option once Kaepernick was installed. And Harbaugh chose that over an established QB in Smith. The same has been done in other cases. How is the read option only a sign of incompetence to you in Tebow's case?

[/QUOTE]

Sf runs a play or two of read option. Denver had to switch to it full time. 

Kaepernick's offense, that most often was a traditional drop back offense scored tons of points. 24.8 points per game. Kaepernick was a small part of the running offense, with only 63 runs, most of them scrambles. 

Denver scored 17.5 per game while Tebow was starting. Denver ran a full time read option. Tebow was essentially a FB who would pass too. He ran the ball 122 times.  

That's my issue. One is running read-option for a handful of plays. The other is running it all the time because your QB is nads at completing passes (47.5 completion %). 

Again ... apples and oranges. So, so different than SF running a few trick option plays (which is done a whole lot in the NFL) versus Denver trying to go "read-option."

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

And as a punt protector. The guy is basically a running scout QB for practice. He'll probably be cut at some point.

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

He won't be New England's starting QB. They are using him in punt protection in camp. BB was discussing how he gives them "looks" in camp to prepare for running QBs earlier on. 

No I don't know for "fact" what his role will be down the road ... I know what they have him doing in camp, as does everyone else.

I project from that. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No. Not even remotely the same. Mallett knows how to throw a football.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

Comparing Luck to Tebow is the craziest thing I have ever read. Anyone who actually watches the games would laugh hysterically at that.

[/QUOTE]

The guy had two goes to land a starting job and keep it. He didn't do that. He failed at running any offense that wasn't the option ... and the option was essentially a failure in Denver. 

[/QUOTE]

Hunh? Tebow took the job away from Orton who is considered a decent if not stellar NFL QB. He brought the team to the playoffs and beat the Steelers. Only Elway being the anal tool he was born to be caused Tebow's demise in Denver. And I might point out that Tebow didn't go one and out like his successor, Fetus Head.

Are you really going to try and put the jets year up as an example of how Tebow couldn't be the starter? Those anal tools have stuck with that chump Sanchez far farfar beyond where any other team would.

Frankly, I can't think of a guy who has been more screwed than Tebow at the start of a career, between being completely undermined by that a--hole Elway and then being sent to the ridiculous circus that is the Rexy jets.

[/QUOTE]

Again. Sources that say Elway limited his touches (as if you could even do that to a QB who gets the ball every single play). 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I project from that. 

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Nope. Mallet isn't working out with the special teams as a punt-protector. Mallet works second team. Tebow, comes in when Mallet gets hammered in the head, then goes 4-12 the rest of the way. 

Here is the question ... will Tebow have been shafted if BB cuts him? Yes? No?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

This is complete fiction. Dude, how can you even write this with a straight face. Orton is great, no STELLLAR??????? He's a backup ... in Dallas. He's a career 79 rating guy. 

He's a dead end. 

They tried Tebow. 

It didn't work. 

What are you Rusty?

There is no anti-Tebow conspiracy. 

The guy was on the field for over 40 plays with the Jets. He couldn't pick up the offense they run. 

Teams are't going to convert to some broken read-option offense for a bad QB. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

TD's per touch? What does that even mean? Are you adding pass attempts plus rushing attempts or something and dividing them by TDS? That is an incredibly backward, rushing QB-centric, way to evaluate quarterbacks. Passing QBs would always lose because they pass more often, and are bigger parts of a less "play" efficient part of the offense, which inflates their "touches."

If you want to slice it a different way....

If Tebow had Luck's 627 pass attempts at his rate he would have had about 28 TD passes (to Luck's 23).

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

I finally got around to watching a quick replay of the Eagles game.  I liked what I saw for the most part, considering it was the first pre-season game.  One thing I didn't like was that BB hasn't cut Tebow yet.  The guy is undescribebly bad and will not improve.  He has been working on his "throwing" for 5 years now, and it looks just as terrible as it always has.  He isn't going to ever get to where he needs to be to play as an NFL QB.  Can we please use his roster spot on a QB who can actually throw?

I agree 100%--for the life of me I cannot understand this signing-The guy has been playing QB since he was probably 5 years old and he can't throw the football! Does anyone think he's going to all of a sudden throw with any kind of accuracy--It's too bad becacuase if he could complete even 60 % of his throws he would be an awesome threat with the way he can tuck it and run. And I don't see a position for him,TE-nope,FB-Nope--Cut this guy and as an extra bonus you get rid of the Media circus that seems to follow him-why they do baffles me?

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

I mean, come on ... in 2004 Brady had a TD per 21 touches ... he threw 530 passes. He was an all-star ... light years above anything Tebow had done. Are you saying they are somehow the "same?" 

Of course I'm not saying Tebow is Brady's equal, LOL. But I will say that in 2004 Brady was not the statistical wunderkind that he was in later years.

I am saying Tebow was a pretty effective QB when given a chance to actually play despite having his confidence undermined at every turn.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

This is complete fiction. Dude, how can you even write this with a straight face. Orton is great, no STELLLAR??????? He's a backup ... in Dallas. He's a career 79 rating guy. 

Hunh? Orton has a career 79.7 passer rating with 81 TDs and 57 INTs. That's pretty much in line with the NFL average over the last 3 years.

I said the guy was "decent", NOT STELLER. A 30 yo well traveled guy as a backup in Dallas is not indicative of my statement regarding him as decent being inaccurate.

When Tebow took over for him he was coming off two straight years of mid 80's passer rating.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

What are you Rusty?

I never said there was a conspiracy. Much of the NFL and many of the fans are tools who go into drama queen mode based on certain imagined things. No conspiracy there, just stupidity.

Very much like when all the NFL and fan experts said Moss was washed up when BB brought him in from Oakland; No conspiracy, just stupidity.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

If Tebow had Luck's 627 pass attempts at his rate he would have had about 28 TD passes (to Luck's 23).

[/QUOTE]

No, he wouldn't have. Because to sustain that number he would have had to run the ball himself 300 times, not to mention what his RBs would have had to have done.

The read option functions on a simple principle when it comes to passing. It forces opponents to commit defenders to specific gaps across the fleid, diverting their players and making them predictable.

The offense can capitlaize on this. To get that, though, you need to run, a whole lot, from the option.

If Tebow was throwing the ball 600+ times from the offense they had in Indy it would have been an unmitigated nightmare. The guy is so inaccurate it hurts to watch. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Nope. Mallet isn't working out with the special teams as a punt-protector. Mallet works second team. Tebow, comes in when Mallet gets hammered in the head, then goes 4-12 the rest of the way. 

Here is the question ... will Tebow have been shafted if BB cuts him? Yes? No?

Of course Mallet works with the second team. He's been here two years previously, LOL.

No, I won't consider Tebow having been shafted by BB if he is cut. BB doesn't EVER buy into the NFL's anal leanings. If Tebow can help the team, BB will keep him.

We have a backup that for all we know is adequate. Tebow's staying will probably depend on how much BB values his skills as a QB that neither Brady or Mallet have, and other contributions he can make. I would estimate he has about a 70-30 chance of sticking at this juncture.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

Hunh? Orton has a career 79.7 passer rating with 81 TDs and 57 INTs. That's pretty much in line with the NFL average over the last 3 years.

I said the guy was "decent", NOT STELLER. A 30 yo well traveled guy as a backup in Dallas is not indicative of my statement regarding him as decent being inaccurate.

When Tebow took over for him he was coming off two straight years of mid 80's passer rating.

[/QUOTE]

And then Tebow sported a sweet 75 rating the rest of the way. 79 is bad, it's usually bottom 15. The median NFL rating is usally in the mid 80s.   

You said this:

Tebow took the job away from Orton who is considered a decent if not stellar NFL QB.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

What are you Rusty?

I never said there was a conspiracy. Much of the NFL and many of the fans are tools who go into drama queen mode based on certain imagined things. No conspiracy there, just stupidity.

Very much like when all the NFL and fan experts said Moss was washed up when BB brought him in from Oakland; No conspiracy, just stupidity.

[/QUOTE]

What imagined things are those? All the NFL people didn't say Moss was washed up. Some did. Moss also stuck with the first team that signed him. 

Just because Tebow cannot play quarterback very well doesn't mean he was "blackballed" [again your words]. He couldn't win reps. That is all. No conspiracy. Someone gave him a shot. They gave him time on the field. They gave him second team reps. 

He didn't get the offense. 

Why is that a "drama-queen" thing?

Tebow is a bad QB. That is all. You are way over thinking this. Are you Gators fan or something?

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

No, he wouldn't have. Because to sustain that number he would have had to run the ball himself 300 times, not to mention what his RBs would have had to have done.

The read option functions on a simple principle when it comes to passing. It forces opponents to commit defenders to specific gaps across the fleid, diverting their players and making them predictable.

The offense can capitlaize on this. To get that, though, you need to run, a whole lot, from the option.

If Tebow was throwing the ball 600+ times from the offense they had in Indy it would have been an unmitigated nightmare. The guy is so inaccurate it hurts to watch. 

[/QUOTE]

You have talked about the great Denver D regarding Tebow. But Denver ran the ball tied for #1 in attempts. Of course that lets the D look better. Their 5.4 ypp was pretty much in line with the league average of 5.5 ypp in 2011. That defense had the 4th fewest turnovers in the league.

The point is that they ran a lot, and therefore they didn't have a lot of high scoring games. Your point about Tebow vs Luck has been about the disparity in production. Of course Luck had more total production. Luck had the 14th most pass attempts in the history of the NFL!

And as far as Tebow being inaccurate, he had a lower INT% than Luck, so who is inaccurate?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

You said this:

Tebow took the job away from Orton who is considered a decent if not stellar NFL QB.

And that can be taken literally as him not being stellar but merely decent.

I can understand how you might see that as me implying that it was debatable that Orton was stellar. But I wasn't implying that. He clearly has never been stellar.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

You have talked about the great Denver D regarding Tebow. But Denver ran the ball tied for #1 in attempts. Of course that lets the D look better. Their 5.4 ypp was pretty much in line with the league average of 5.5 ypp in 2011. That defense had the 4th fewest turnovers in the league.

The point is that they ran a lot, and therefore they didn't have a lot of high scoring games. Your point about Tebow vs Luck has been about the disparity in production. Of course Luck had more total production. Luck had the 14th most pass attempts in the history of the NFL!

And as far as Tebow being inaccurate, he had a lower INT% than Luck, so who is inaccurate?

[/QUOTE]

The guy who had a higher completion percent and was throwing more difficult passes. That's Luck, btw. 

You really are a Tebow apologist man. 

Are you a born again Christian or a Gators fan? Why won't you answer this question?

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

What are you Rusty?

[/QUOTE]

What imagined things are those? All the NFL people didn't say Moss was washed up. Some did. Moss also stuck with the first team that signed him. 

Just because Tebow cannot play quarterback very well doesn't mean he was "blackballed" [again your words]. He couldn't win reps. That is all. No conspiracy. Someone gave him a shot. They gave him time on the field. They gave him second team reps. 

He didn't get the offense. 

Why is that a "drama-queen" thing?

Tebow is a bad QB. That is all. You are way over thinking this. Are you Gators fan or something?

[/QUOTE]

There were plenty of NFL people who claimed Moss was washed up. Obviously not all thought that, because BB traded for him.

Who gave Tebow a "shot"? Elway, LMAO? Rexy? Please. The jets were a circus clinging to their idiotic draft pick Sanchez.

The only "shot" Tebow has had was in 2011, and all he did was have 6 game winning drives in 11 starts for Denver and win a playoff game for them in OT against the Steelers.

I'm not a big college football fan, but I root for the Fighting Irish.

I'm not necessarily a Tebow fan, nor do I project him as a successful NFL QB. I don't know what he is capable of. I just feel he has gotten a raw deal based on a spurious "eye test" and religious bigotry. I just don't like it when guys get written off based on BS rather than facts.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

[QUOTE]

You said this:

And that can be taken literally as him not being stellar but merely decent.

I can understand how you might see that as me implying that it was debatable that Orton was stellar. But I wasn't implying that. He clearly has never been stellar.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, because it's most often used to describe the possibility of the latter in a weaker-stronger relationship.  

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from digger0862. Show digger0862's posts

Look at the thread title. Tebow is the 3rd QB on the 90 man roster. Every team has one. Tebow will probably be cut. What is the need for this thread?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

The guy who had a higher completion percent and was throwing more difficult passes. That's Luck, btw. 

You really are a Tebow apologist man. 

Are you a born again Christian or a Gators fan? Why won't you answer this question?

If completion% was the end all of quarterbacking then your point would be well taken. Fact is, I hold the ability to take care of the ball in much higher esteem than a few percentage points of completion%. And Tebow took better care of the ball.

Already said I'm not a Gators fan. I am a Christian for sure though. I would not really fall into the "Evangelical" or "Born Again" camp though. Tebow's Christianity might affect my perceptions of him as a person, but certainly not as a player.

Moss isn't a Christian (that I am aware of) and I still defend him for the same reasons I defend Tebow. Randy gets the same kind of fan BS raw deal Tebow gets.