We are wasting a roster spot on #5

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Re: We are wasting a roster spot on #5

In response to BabeParilli's comment:

In response to TrueChamp's comment:
    [QUOTE]

He certainlly didn't help his case. Some of the worst throws I've seen a QB make. Ever. Although I think there were some tough circumstances, it can't be an excuse. He looked like he didn't belong today.

"Defense Wins Championships"

I didn't see most of the game, but I'll take your word that the "eye test" was really bad. Certainly the numbers are abysmal. But then most fans were calling Cassel a loser after pre-season in 2008 and he did okay when called upon. I just don't get too excited about pre-season performance either way. Brady was one for 3 for 6 yards in his first year. Mallet is one for four with a pick in the NFL. I trust that BB will keep or cut Tebow based on the entire body of work he does vs need, correctly. He is the best at that in the game.

[/QUOTE]

LOL.  Neither the stats nor the eye test work, but the missed throws are just a part of the pre-season, right?  Yep, he's just like Andrew Luck. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Profootballtalk's headline: 

"Tim Tebow's numbers say it all: 1 for 7, -1 yards, 1 int, 0.0 rating"

Belickhick was kind to give Tebow a chance, and maybe his sticks with the team...at a position other than quarterback.  He's not an NFL Quarterback.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to zbellino's comment:

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

He certainlly didn't help his case. Some of the worst throws I've seen a QB make. Ever. Although I think there were some tough circumstances, it can't be an excuse. He looked like he didn't belong today.

I hope BB considers this favor to Urban Meyer over soon. It's a waste of resources.

[/QUOTE]

How naughty of BB to waste a roster spot that could be used to evaluate a player that might actually help the team to do a favor for a buddy. People like that should be fired.

[/QUOTE]

Haha. It's only a matter of time before that comes out. 

At any rate, no, he shouldn't. Kicking the tires on a guy as a recommendation from a friend in training camp isn't grounds for dismissal. 

Posting a 17.7 rating, 0TDs and an INT in what amounts to a whole game of play is what gets you cut though. 

You need to move on, hopefully when NE moves on from Tebow you will as well. 

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

Profootballtalk's headline: 

"Tim Tebow's numbers say it all: 1 for 7, -1 yards, 1 int, 0.0 rating"

Belickhick was kind to give Tebow a chance, and maybe his sticks with the team...at a position other than quarterback.  He's not an NFL Quarterback.

It's too late to change stripes. The time for him transitioning to another position was the year he was drafted. His pigheadedness and his agent's greed probably prevented that. But he could have been working out as an HBack. By this time, he would have had seasons of experience playing a position he might be able to hack.

Now, it's pretty much done. If NE can't find a special teams use for him, this is highly likely his last stop in the NFL. I can't think of a team that would take him on as a project at a position he's never played before this late in his life. 

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

More than 200 responses on yet another thread about what young Tim isn't?

Look . . .   whatever you think of Tim Tebow as a guy (I can't help but like him for reasons I'm not entirely able to explain) the simple truth of the matter is he's no  NFL passer and isn't ever going to be.

If he sticks on the team as a fullback or some nebulous "other," that's perfectly fine with me, but this will be a far more interesting discussion when we can start (or stop) talking about the guys who didn't (or did) make the team (presumably) because Tebow did (or didn't).

No roster spots are being "wasted" until there aren't any left.

Or something like that.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

Whoops!

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Towelie-Toke. Show Towelie-Toke's posts

I'm thinkin that Tebow will get two more pre season games to show something.  If he doesn't show positive progress, he should be cut.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Tebow looks like the worst QB I have ever seen. His only on field plus is he is a very good runner. If he is not converting to another position he should be gone.

It is about football. It is not a beauty pageant or popularity contest.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from wolfwood. Show wolfwood's posts

In response to Towelie-Toke's comment:

I'm thinkin that Tebow will get two more pre season games to show something.  If he doesn't show positive progress, he should be cut.

yeah next game is make or break time for him  if BB cant  fix him he is done in the NFL

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to p-mike's comment:

More than 200 responses on yet another thread about what young Tim isn't?

Look . . .   whatever you think of Tim Tebow as a guy (I can't help but like him for reasons I'm not entirely able to explain) the simple truth of the matter is he's no  NFL passer and isn't ever going to be.

If he sticks on the team as a fullback or some nebulous "other," that's perfectly fine with me, but this will be a far more interesting discussion when we can start (or stop) talking about the guys who didn't (or did) make the team (presumably) because Tebow did (or didn't).

No roster spots are being "wasted" until there aren't any left.

Or something like that.

There you go adding to it, haha. 

The "nebulous other" is his best chance to stick somewhere. A sort of RB/who-can-throw/Special Teamer. 

He'll never be an NFL quartback worth keeping on the roster. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

There's a difference between Tebow needing to practice more of his pass plays in preseason and Tebow in a real game.  Tebow is regularly picking up 5 yards a carry over two preseason games, and none of that statistic is breakaways.  It's all productive running for first down purposes.

In a real game, 220 pound Tebow will exclusively be used in a running subpackage with Ballard and Gronk on the line, possibly with Suds or Hoom as the H-back and 250 pound Blount at tailback.  Tebow will throw the ball maybe 20% of the time to keep the defense honest, and somebody or other will run it through a linebacker's stomach the other 80% of the time.  If the Pats are in a third and 8 passing situation, or in need of points, with defensive ends licking their chops, Tom Brady (or Mallett worst case) will trot in for a traditional pass play.  I suppose that Tebow will finish with a qb rating of around 60, 2 for 4, plus 16 running plays with lots of first downs.  If the opponent has to play Tebow for run, run, run all afternoon then he can probably nudge his QB rating up to a generous 60.

You all should quit thinking of Tim Tebow as a passer, because he's going to be used as a read-option heavyweight runner who can toss the ball occasionally.  BB is once more going to change the nature of the NFL game, in order to maximize Tebow's strengths and limit his liabilities.

On second and 2 when the Pats are 14 points ahead in the fourth quarter, I can't answer the question of whether Brady or Tebow is better.  If I were coaching I'd yank Brady and go with Tebow 50% of the time in this situation, just to drive the opponent's defensive players crazy.  Crazy wins games.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from expertmike. Show expertmike's posts

After last night, does BB feel some pity and not put the kid out there anymore?  Beyond the countless non-Tebow reasons to have Tebow out there (can't evaluate teammates),  Tebow's humilating himself.  It would be a merciful thing for BB to just stop it.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

Tebow's gonna get one of our receivers killed.  The guy's not only bad, he's dangerous to others.  Was glad the Pats just had him run most of the time he was in.  That's all he's good for--and he's not even that good at that. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

In response to prolate0spheroid's comment:

Tebow's gonna get one of our receivers killed.  The guy's not only bad, he's dangerous to others.  Was glad the Pats just had him run most of the time he was in.  That's all he's good for--and he's not even that good at that. 

That's the ultimate irony. He's a short-yardage type running QB. He's not fast at all. It's one thing to be a run-first type QB, lord knows people have experimented with that, but the reason he can only drum up ~17ppg on offense, even when he was at his best, is because he just isn't a dynamic rushing threat.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

That's the ultimate irony. He's a short-yardage type running QB. He's not fast at all. It's one thing to be a run-first type QB, lord knows people have experimented with that, but the reason he can only drum up ~17ppg on offense, even when he was at his best, is because he just isn't a dynamic rushing threat.

I think the only position that suits him is the short yardage QB some teams in the CFL use.  He can't throw well enough to be a CFL starter (those guys have to be able to complete 60% to 70% of 35 or 40 passes every game), but CFL teams often use a special quarterback in short yardage situations who's there basically to run or hand off to a RB and rarely throws.  That would be Tebow's position.  It's worth maybe three plays a game . . . 

Maybe BB thinks that's a position worth introducing to the NFL?

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

I agree that Tebow is not an NFL QB, based on his passing skills. I have always said that. But in two games, he has rushed 10 times for 61 yards! Many of these rushes were right through the defense. I don't think it's too late for him to play FB or play a specialized short yardage QB role that utilizes his strengths. BB will decide whether or not that role is worth using a slot for, but I do feel he adds a level of physicality to our running game that will be helpful for those hard few yards that keep the chains moving.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

I would also add that the Pats were using Develin quite a bit at FB last night. Emphasizing the running game seems to be of even greater importance to the team this year. Once Cannon is back as right guard, with Tebow as a QB/FB and with Ballard/Sudfeld/Gronk as blocking TEs, Ridley, Vereen and Blount (and maybe Bolden) are going to run wild. I was excited about this before training camp and even more so based on what we have seen so far. Develin is a specialized FB but Tebow perhaps offers more versatility (a tiny improvement in the passing game would help with this argument, admittedly). Develin did show up pretty nicely though.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from jimmytantric. Show jimmytantric's posts

Anyone on here comparing Cassel to Luck needs to START watching the games? Not even close--Luck is the real deal and will be a top 5 QB for the next 10 years. The kid can play he  has the size , arm,  intelligence and athleticsm. I know we are Pats fans on a Pats board  but let's try to be objective--Luck is the real deal--period!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

The only thing being wasted is the space on this site whining about the 3rd string QB. Wassu just hates TT.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Tebow is a great power running quarterback.  In fact, he's wholly unique in that regard.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from prolate0spheroid. Show prolate0spheroid's posts

In response to UD6's comment:

Tebow is a great power running quarterback.  In fact, he's wholly unique in that regard.

Yeah . . . he's perfect if you want to build your offense around the direct snap to the fullback.  

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

I hope BB considers this favor to Urban Meyer over soon. It's a waste of resources.

[/QUOTE]

How naughty of BB to waste a roster spot that could be used to evaluate a player that might actually help the team to do a favor for a buddy. People like that should be fired.

[/QUOTE]

Haha. It's only a matter of time before that comes out. 

At any rate, no, he shouldn't. Kicking the tires on a guy as a recommendation from a friend in training camp isn't grounds for dismissal. 

Posting a 17.7 rating, 0TDs and an INT in what amounts to a whole game of play is what gets you cut though. 

You need to move on, hopefully when NE moves on from Tebow you will as well. 

[/QUOTE]

I don't need to move on from anything. I really don't care if TT makes the team or not. I don't get a;; worked up abiut the last 15 guys on the roster like some do. I'm just laughing at the so called experts around here pronouncing him DOA.

You're the one pulling the Rusty stunt of making things up. I have simply pointed out what the man has actually accomplished in a brief career burdened by negative hype.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to jimmytantric's comment:

Anyone on here comparing Cassel to Luck needs to START watching the games? Not even close--Luck is the real deal and will be a top 5 QB for the next 10 years. The kid can play he  has the size , arm,  intelligence and athleticsm. I know we are Pats fans on a Pats board  but let's try to be objective--Luck is the real deal--period!

Yet to be seen.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

I think the only position that suits him is the short yardage QB some teams in the CFL use.  He can't throw well enough to be a CFL starter (those guys have to be able to complete 60% to 70% of 35 or 40 passes every game), but CFL teams often use a special quarterback in short yardage situations who's there basically to run or hand off to a RB and rarely throws.  That would be Tebow's position.  It's worth maybe three plays a game . . . 

Maybe BB thinks that's a position worth introducing to the NFL?

Prolate

Don't you think our running game is now strong enough that we don't need to use a roster spot on Tebow to accomplish this? What is the advantage of using Tebow for this role?

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

In response to jimmytantric's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Yet to be seen.

[/QUOTE]

That's why he used the future tense in his post.  Possibly your fingers are working faster than your mind this morning?