We are wasting a roster spot on #5

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Re: We are wasting a roster spot on #5

Folks,

#5 is going nowhere except the practice fields at Gillette. It dawned on me while watching the game. A whole bunch of teams are turning to the read option offense right? Now neither Brady nor Mallet run the read option but the D needs to practice against it. Enter Tebow, who pretty much defined the read option in college. (BB to Tebow) Tim, you run the read option for us in practice and we'll teach you how to be a real quarterback! 

Tebow is here to stay.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bostatewarrior. Show bostatewarrior's posts

In response to rtuinila's comment:

Folks,

#5 is going nowhere except the practice fields at Gillette. It dawned on me while watching the game. A whole bunch of teams are turning to the read option offense right? Now neither Brady nor Mallet run the read option but the D needs to practice against it. Enter Tebow, who pretty much defined the read option in college. (BB to Tebow) Tim, you run the read option for us in practice and we'll teach you how to be a real quarterback! 

Tebow is here to stay.

This smacks of logic.  I can buy this theory.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to WazzuWheatfarmer's comment:

I finally got around to watching a quick replay of the Eagles game.  I liked what I saw for the most part, considering it was the first pre-season game.  One thing I didn't like was that BB hasn't cut Tebow yet.  The guy is undescribebly bad and will not improve.  He has been working on his "throwing" for 5 years now, and it looks just as terrible as it always has.  He isn't going to ever get to where he needs to be to play as an NFL QB.  Can we please use his roster spot on a QB who can actually throw?

Get off the guy's back! He's not that bad. Against the Eagles, he was given absolutely no time to throw. Like him or not, he's a winner. Besides, who says that he's going to make the team? Odds are that the Pats will carry two QBs, Brady and Mallett...and Tebow will be cut. Thereafter, he'll be added to the practice squad, if QB desperate Jacksonville doesn't pick him up. 

While on the practice squad, Tebow will be very helpful to the team when preparing to face mobile QBs like Cam Newton, and Kaepernick. So...let's support the guy, and give him a chance.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

I finally got around to watching a quick replay of the Eagles game.  I liked what I saw for the most part, considering it was the first pre-season game.  One thing I didn't like was that BB hasn't cut Tebow yet.  The guy is undescribebly bad and will not improve.  He has been working on his "throwing" for 5 years now, and it looks just as terrible as it always has.  He isn't going to ever get to where he needs to be to play as an NFL QB.  Can we please use his roster spot on a QB who can actually throw?

Get off the guy's back! He's not that bad. Against the Eagles, he was given absolutely no time to throw. Like him or not, he's a winner. Besides, who says that he's going to make the team? Odds are that the Pats will carry two QBs, Brady and Mallett...and Tebow will be cut. Thereafter, he'll be added to the practice squad, if QB desperate Jacksonville doesn't pick him up. 

While on the practice squad, Tebow will be very helpful to the team when preparing to face mobile QBs like Cam Newton, and Kaepernick. So...let's support the guy, and give him a chance.

I don't think #5 has any practice squad eligability.  I'm pretty sure he would have to make the 53 man roster to stick.  Quite frankly, he really isn't even good enough to warrant a spot on the practice squad anyway.  Yes Tex, he really is that bad.  Sorry, just the truth.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from WazzuWheatfarmer. Show WazzuWheatfarmer's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

I will be annoyed if he gets the 3rd QB spot, but I just can't see it.  Part of me thinks BB wants his defense to get extended read option and Wildcat reps in camp and he's here to take up more of what Brady would normally take in preseason games, and that's what most of this is, an extended look to see if he can be salvaged and a favor to him because BB has respect for him. 

I have no idea why a smart person like BB would waste a roster spot on a guy who will never be a successful QB in this league.

Edelman can run practice read option and Wildcat packages to get the D tuned up for those kinds of plays when they play a running based QB on the schedule this year.

Personally, I cannot wait for this stupid fad of Wildcats and red options to be quickly snuffed out and destroyed so we can stop talking about it. It's amazing to me how people think run based QBs can last with defenses getting stronger and faster, where injuries and concussion rules will only limit its success.

I agree.  I think this is mostly about giving the defense a look at a running QB in the preseason.  Also, someone has to take those meaningless snaps in the second half of preseason games. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to rkarp's comment:

they have 2 QB's that throw (very well)...they are figuring out if they can use a QB that can run. TT may be the Pats best power runner, maybe making a case between TT, Blount and Bolden with the Pats keeping only 2 of them

I believe that's called a RB... or at least the ones that can't throw

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Davedsone. Show Davedsone's posts

I'm not a Tebow guy, but I like what he brings, and I think he is invaluable running the scout team, is a solid person and would be a solid Patriot, and is better than most of the 3rd string QBs out there.  In a year when we will see many read option QBs out there, it's nice to have one at his level on the team.  If he develops, great.  If not, still good for a year or two to get things sorted out and practice against a guy who is a real threat to run. 

It's ON.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

I don't think #5 has any practice squad eligability.  I'm pretty sure he would have to make the 53 man roster to stick.  Quite frankly, he really isn't even good enough to warrant a spot on the practice squad anyway.  Yes Tex, he really is that bad.  Sorry, just the truth.

You do realize that Tebow could effect 11 times as many plays as Slater, yet no one is saying "get rid of Slater"

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

they have 2 QB's that throw (very well)...they are figuring out if they can use a QB that can run. TT may be the Pats best power runner, maybe making a case between TT, Blount and Bolden with the Pats keeping only 2 of them

I believe that's called a RB... or at least the ones that can't throw

I envision TT as the H-back with the option to also throw. The guy is almost 250 LBs with decent speed. Once he gets to the 2nd line of defense, he is hard to bring down.

I can see the roster flexibility of keeping TT...depends on where BB wants to allot roster spots (ie 6 WR's to accomadate Slater)

-H-back/5th RB. Will be in for short yardage plays with TB under C and TT and a RB in the back field. TT can block, run, or surprise pass. Takes Blounts roster spot

-4th or 5th TE. Will be in for blocking on PAT's, 3 TE sets for short yardage. On the roster if Gronk is PUP'd, or on the roster at the expense of Fells or Hooman

-3rd QB. On the roster at the expense of a 6th S, 6th CB, 5th RB, 6th DE etc... 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

You do realize that Tebow could effect 11 times as many plays as Slater, yet no one is saying "get rid of Slater"

How WILL TT affect any plays during the regular season if he is not on the field? He does not take TB off the field does he? He does not play other positions does he? I am not sure what you are refering to...

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to portfolio1's comment:

How WILL TT affect any plays during the regular season if he is not on the field? He does not take TB off the field does he? He does not play other positions does he? I am not sure what you are refering to...

he doesnt take TB off the field, but they could be on the field at the same time

so far we have seen in public practice pretty much pitch and catch, no hitting and players getting familiar with the plays and other players. The Eagles practices (which I did not see) brought in the element of hitting, and practicing against new faces and new plays...still not much in the way of game plans.

After TB practice this week, public practices are complete, and the team will get to work on what players can actually do on the team...I have a lot of confidence that BB and McD can game plan TT in certain situations.

I also like TT in the locker room and on the practice field.

I was skeptical all off season after he signed. I still dont see him playing straight QB at any time. But it is interesting what his other options could be. We saw in Denver that TT could run very well, and hit on some deep throws. The Jets, with Rex and Sporano were unable to creatively find any role for TT. I am coming around to thinking that BB and McD can. If they cannot, or TT cannot grasp what BB and McD want to do, they will simply shake hands and walk away.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from Muzwell. Show Muzwell's posts

Even if he makes the 53, he probably won't be on the 46 (active) most weeks unless/until there are injuries such as at RB, or obviously QB. If they carry three QBs on the 53, they're not going to need three active, unless he's playing other positions regularly.

So unless they make Mallett inactive, the idea of him coming into games for a play or two is probably not very likely.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from tanbass. Show tanbass's posts

One pre-season game...or the last 2 seasons...I've seen enough to know this guys sucks as an NFL QB. I think he is a good guy, and certainly has proved he is a winner....but he just doesn't have the physical skills to be successful in todays NFL. Enough is enough...cut this guy already, and bring in some more depth at OL or DL.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

he doesnt take TB off the field, but they could be on the field at the same time

so far we have seen in public practice pretty much pitch and catch, no hitting and players getting familiar with the plays and other players. The Eagles practices (which I did not see) brought in the element of hitting, and practicing against new faces and new plays...still not much in the way of game plans.

After TB practice this week, public practices are complete, and the team will get to work on what players can actually do on the team...I have a lot of confidence that BB and McD can game plan TT in certain situations.

I was skeptical all off season after he signed. I still dont see him playing straight QB at any time. But it is interesting what his other options could be. We saw in Denver that TT could run very well, and hit on some deep throws. The Jets, with Rex and Sporano were unable to creatively find any role for TT. I am coming around to thinking that BB and McD can. If they cannot, or TT cannot grasp what BB and McD want to do, they will simply shake hands and walk away.

This guy couldn't get on the field and play for one of the worst offenses in the league.  Now he is going to one of the best and the gimmick tricks should work and warrant some playing time?

He couldn't take Sancheez's spot, now he is going to replace TB for spells in NE?

Backfield?  How many yards did Ridley run for last year?

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Iceman4. Show Iceman4's posts

TT makes the defense think...even if he doesn't get the ball they have to account for the possibility. 

Either that or he can run the water bottles out to the players during time outs.Sealed

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to Iceman4's comment:

TT makes the defense think...even if he doesn't get the ball they have to account for the possibility. 

Either that or he can run the water bottles out to the players during time outs.Sealed

Does that warrant a roster spot?

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from rtuinila. Show rtuinila's posts

Like I said before, he runs the read option during practice for the D. That effects every play the D runs on the field when they play a team capable of running the read option.

There is a reason the Pats give an award for the "Practice Player of The Week". Tebow will be that guy a few times this year.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ghostofjri37. Show ghostofjri37's posts

In response to MoreRings's comment:

Keeping hydrated is very important.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from MoreRings. Show MoreRings's posts

In response to ghostofjri37's comment:

In response to MoreRings's comment:

Keeping hydrated is very important.

Good point.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from rkarp. Show rkarp's posts

In response to MoreRings' comment:

This guy couldn't get on the field and play for one of the worst offenses in the league.  Now he is going to one of the best and the gimmick tricks should work and warrant some playing time?

He couldn't take Sancheez's spot, now he is going to replace TB for spells in NE?

Backfield?  How many yards did Ridley run for last year?

your post replies to my post needs 3 corrections;

-I stated he could not get on the field with the Jets because of Rex and Sporano. BB and McD could find a role for him

-I stated TT could be on the field along with TB

-Ridley is the main RB, but the team could carry 5, with TT being one of them in an H-back role. He runs bigger and is more a load to tackle than Blount.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

In response to russgriswold's comment:

I will be annoyed if he gets the 3rd QB spot,

All the more reason to root for the guy.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from pcmIV. Show pcmIV's posts

Some more info from BB on Tebow here.

The passage I thought was particulary noteworthy was:

"I think we're hopefully flexible enough offensively to try to take advantage of whoever we have in the game. Tim is certainly a good runner, so when he's in there, we'll probably let him carry the ball a few times," Belichick said on WEEI.

Whether this is referring to the preseason only or whether he could see some snaps in the regular season is not clear.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

I'm just curious for the people who say we need to waste a 53man spot for a practice QB. When we faced Tebow 2 years ago and last year who was a the QB we faced in practice to prepare ourselves for the option? For some reason I don't think needing an extra spot just for read option practice is an issue nor has it really ever been. You use your 4th RB to practice that or Edelman and it worked well for the Pats. A QB who can run and can't throw is zero threat and even less of one if he only comes in a handful of plays a game, because you know it's coming! It's not that difficult to prepare for them, not enough to waste a spot to add depth at CB, DT, or OL. Heck the greatest run option QB ever (Vick) couldn't even do much in this league once the good teams figured him out. If he was PS eligible that would be a different thing but he isn't so just go out and pick up one of the hundred option QB's who don't make the teams because they can't throw and let them not waste a spot on the roster.

RKarp - if they were going to use him as a HB or FB why are they wasting their time using him as a QB in practice? You are at the practices, wouldn't it be a better use of his short preseason time to get him reps running the ball, taking handoffs, and practice blocking than throwing the ball into the dirt? If he's the 3rd QB then as Muz pointed out he's not going to be on the active roster and there is zero chance you take Brady off the field for a gimmick play so what role does he play that gets him on the active roster and gets him playing time? More importantly why haven't you at practices seen him in that role instead of running the 3rd offense?

I swear by lil 10 pound bearded baby Jesus

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vacilando. Show Vacilando's posts

I invite anyone to come watch the preseason practices to adequately understand just how badly of a passing QB Tebow truly is...  Stressing PASSING, and if a QB can't pass he isn't a QB at all.  Balls off the mark, spirals consistently unravelling past 10yds, and of course questionable reads.  

Dont insult FB, HB, and TEs that have made a living learning their positions only to have "a good football player" step in.   Lets not confuse a good guy with a good football player.

He's never caught regular passes nor has he consistently ran the ball so he doesn't fit any other position.

To be blunt you don't belong in the NFL if you cannot perform consistently Which he never has...

Time to move on, let Edelman mock a truly pistol QB and keep someone that can actually contribute.  He's been given opportunities time and again and failed.

Let the Pat Robertson bandwagon move onto the CFL.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vacilando. Show Vacilando's posts

And TEBOW is NOT eligible for the practice squad.

He's been in the league TOO LONG!

Sections
Shortcuts