We could have a top 10 first round pick and a top 3 2nd round pick.

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from patriots1a2. Show patriots1a2's posts

We could have a top 10 first round pick and a top 3 2nd round pick.

I say top 10 b/c the Raiders should have won against Arizona and they are better than people give them credit. The Panthers may not win a game...they are horrible.The pats will have some really great picks in 2011. The pats should use all first and second round picks and trade our 2 number fours for a 2012 2nd rd...I see the few needs that we need being picked up in next years draft.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from nightrider495. Show nightrider495's posts

Re: We could have a top 10 first round pick and a top 3 2nd round pick.

It would be nice to see them cash in their picks for once huh. I just hope there is no lockout, although that is looking more and more inevitable each day.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

In terms of pure power ratings, I have the Raiders picking #3.  Jacksonville's truly impressive 1 1/2 gainer and cannonball dives against San Diego and Philly has pushed them ahead of the Raiders.  However, both Jacksonville and Detroit play fourth place bunny schedules, while the Raiders play a third place schedule, so don't count the Raiders out of the #2 or even the #1 spot just yet.  The only tuff games on the Raiders schedule are Seattle on Halloween and a big showdown with Jacksonville in week 14.

Carolina is rated today to pick #5.  They play a third place schedule and they have no wins, so give them an inside track too.  I really don't care 1/10 as much about Carolina as I do the Raiders pick, which could be turned into multiple first rounders for Trader Bill with a little upward movement.  So far I like what late-days Bill picked with McCourty, Cunningham was injured through preseason but at least got a good review for the Jets game, Gronk!, Hernandez!, probably Spikes, Taylor Price is injured (eh!), Zoltan the Space Emperor at least has a good chance of excelling.

Trading with Bill may be, like getting on the cover of Sports Illustrated, a bad omen for next year's record.  That's because Bill and staff have already calculated who is going to win, they're pretty good at this art, and they trade with losers first.  Remember how San Francisco was hoping to make the playoffs and ended up with the #7 pick? 

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

In Response to Re: We could have a top 10 first round pick and a top 3 2nd round pick.:
    Or in other words, 4 # 2s, 3 # 3s, 6 #6s and a couple more picks in 2012. 
    Posted by PhatRex

"...and a partridge in a pear tree!"

Around here it's like Christmas.

6. This post has been removed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

I can see this team really being formidable again very soon.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

What good is an extra 2nd round pick if you keep using them on the likes of Darius Butler and Ron Brace and pass up on drafting studs like Clay Mathews and Dez Bryant?

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ZigZig. Show ZigZig's posts

Who cares how many picks we have.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from reegz04. Show reegz04's posts

INGRAM..

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1024us. Show m1024us's posts

In Response to Re: We could have a top 10 first round pick and a top 3 2nd round pick.:

What good is an extra 2nd round pick if you keep using them on the likes of Darius Butler and Ron Brace and pass up on drafting studs like Clay Mathews and Dez Bryant?
    Posted by ShiningWizard

Should-a, could-a, would-a......DIDN'T!  Get over it!

Maybe you should root for the Jests?  You seem like that kind of reactionary fan.....

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from LB34. Show LB34's posts

COULD is the key word.  Let's not lose sight of the fact we are not even 1 quarter into the season.  Those picks would be great though.  This conversation is better had in December when we can speak with any certianty.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from Patsfan1033. Show Patsfan1033's posts

They will use the pick in the Top 10 and not trade out, the guaranteed money isn't going to be an issue due to collective bargaining and etc.  This is one of the primary reasons they traded for the pick with the Raiders in hopes it would play out this way. I do see them going offense with the Raiders pick and trying to get a franchise RB, hopefully M. Ingram (Saban's style of running schemes very similar to Pats when they had Corey Dillon and Antowain Smith), to compliment the passing game and then another OLB and OL!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from shoreweb. Show shoreweb's posts

Are we looking for something/anything to look forward to?

Only three games and some of us are thinking of draft picks.....have a feeling this is gonna be a long season.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbeaulieu07. Show mbeaulieu07's posts

I'm on record as saying I'd prefer NE pass on an RB in Rd 1, especially high, but man is Mark Ingram doing his best to change my opinion.  This kid is absolutely what they need to create some offensive balance.  With 4.6 ypc through three games aside, their running game scares no one, especially good defenses (i.e. the Jets) thus making it easier to scheme/gameplan defensively.

Can you imagine this offense with a legit threat in the backfield?  Hammer the ball, hammer the ball, hammer the ball, play action, set up the deep ball, stretch the field, open up intermediate and underneath routes keep opposing defense guessing and on their toes, create some offensive balance.  Guess what, we can now beat you on the ground or through the air, what are you gonna do?

All this kid does is shred SEC defenses, he's extremely tough to bring down, picks up a ton of YAC, has the size to continually pound the ball between the tackles, shows big play ability with multiple 50+ yard TD runs to his credit (playing in arguably the fastest conference in America) and can catch the football.  Anyone who watched last years Heisman presentation could see how important football is too him and the kid appears to have a good head on his shoulders.  Heck, I watched him on the sidelines when he was injured, helping to coach his teammates up, cheering them on, that screams winner to me.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from ShiningWizard. Show ShiningWizard's posts

In Response to Re: We could have a top 10 first round pick and a top 3 2nd round pick. : Should-a, could-a, would-a......DIDN'T!  Get over it! Maybe you should root for the Jests?  You seem like that kind of reactionary fan.....
    Posted by m1024us

Sorry I forgot that being a Pats fan doesn't entitle you to having an original thought or opinion.  I'll go back to preaching homeristic views and believing that all is well with our young defense.  Besides..Green Bay probably just got lucky with Mathews, which happens sometimes...

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

I'm on record as saying I'd prefer NE pass on an RB in Rd 1, especially high, but man is Mark Ingram doing his best to change my opinion.  This kid is absolutely what they need to create some offensive balance.  With 4.6 ypc through three games aside, their running game scares no one, especially good defenses (i.e. the Jets) thus making it easier to scheme/gameplan defensively. Can you imagine this offense with a legit threat in the backfield?  Hammer the ball, hammer the ball, hammer the ball, play action, set up the deep ball, stretch the field, open up intermediate and underneath routes keep opposing defense guessing and on their toes, create some offensive balance.  Guess what, we can now beat you on the ground or through the air, what are you gonna do? All this kid does is shred SEC defenses, he's extremely tough to bring down, picks up a ton of YAC, has the size to continually pound the ball between the tackles, shows big play ability with multiple 50+ yard TD runs to his credit (playing in arguably the fastest conference in America) and can catch the football.  Anyone who watched last years Heisman presentation could see how important football is too him and the kid appears to have a good head on his shoulders.  Heck, I watched him on the sidelines when he was injured, helping to coach his teammates up, cheering them on, that screams winner to me.
    Posted by mbeaulieu07

I'm with you Beaulieu

Everytime I watch Ingram run I want to draft him even more. This guy is one of those special athletes.When you draft a kid like that you're whole offensive mindset changes.(Unless you're the Lions) I like him better than I liked Adrian Peterson coming out.
    How do you pass on possibly the Best all around Player/contributer in the draft if you have a shot at him. If Somebody like Suh were available I'd lean in that direction but that remains to be seen. The thing is, would BB draft a running back that high? I've heard him say it's one of the riskiest draft picks you can make when your drafting top 10 guys. Somebody is going to be happy with him though. With that Combination of speed, power and maneuverability he'll do some serious damage as long as he stays healthy..

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

MAAAAAAAAHHHHHRRKKKK  Ingram FROM AlabamA!  No doubt about this PICK!  Go get him!

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I wouldnt hope so much for top ten picks....They rarely ever use them because of the garaunteed money involved.  If there is a real Stud DE that can play the 3 technique, then maybe they make a move, but last guy they took #10 in Mayo, is a player but not worth #10 IMO....so we'll see...Most likely will turn into a 2013 pick.
    Posted by patsfan76

There are few things we know for sure about the new CBA, but my money is on there being a rookie salary cap.  I'll be shocked if there isn't one.  So money will likely not be an issue.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

It would be nice to see them cash in their picks for once huh...
    Posted by nightrider495

Although many of us were frustrated to see BB trade away his picks, I think BB has proven all of us wrong with that strategy.  "Hindsight" is telling me BB was not only right, but pulled off a work of genius.  We had a lot of aging players that were going to leave the team soon.  I cannot think of another team in the modern era that accumulated so many upper round draft picks over a 3 year period (2009-2011).  BB managed to reload the team like nothing I've ever seen...assuming next year we draft as well as the last 2 years.

Had we used some of our picks, we might have gotten a single very good player, but look at all of the promising players we have on the team now?  Look at how many more we might get next year?  I believe the closest example of reloading a roster like that might be the Cowboys when Jerry Jones bought the team and traded Hershel Walker.  We all know how that turned out.  

The jury has delivered its verdict, and BB has been acquitted of negligent trading of multiple draft picks.  I suspect other GM's will look at what he's done and imitate.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Are we looking for something/anything to look forward to? Only three games and some of us are thinking of draft picks.....have a feeling this is gonna be a long season.
    Posted by shoreweb
    Actually the reason for such draft talk this early is because of the move BB made two years ago. I don't see this as being a long season or the talk of future drafts as being unusual. Good fortune is fun to talk about! I'm truly hoping that the Brace's and Butler's all pan out and grow into  their respective projections as NFL players. The way BB puts teams together is just plain fun too watch. Who amongst us is upset with the acquisition of David Woodhead? Or how many folks here thought Julien Edelman would be this competent this early in his career? Watching the maturation of players is all part of the team concept for fans. I can only hope that the Patriots are competitive and win enough games too make the playoffs as a fan, but in watching BB build his teams I can hope for the same to hold true for future Patriots.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from beavis. Show beavis's posts

I'm droowling just thinking about all those picks...
    www.thenorthendzone.com/images/stories/drooling-homer-simpson.jpg" alt="" width="279" height="320" />

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from rpn123321. Show rpn123321's posts

Yeah, this may not all matter. Because no doubt, the NFL is heading towards a lockout. The sides are so far apart, they've already stopped discussing terms of a new deal. No side is budging one bit. It's almost certain that next year at this time, we will be watching primarily CFL, or the UFL. I very much doubt any NFL players would join those teams. O well. I also doubt they would hire replacements as that would be extremely boring to watch, and also they would lose tons of money by putting anything less then the best professional athletes on the field.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoahJustin. Show NoahJustin's posts

The rookie salary cap, why should teams pay some rookie more money than a seasoned pro who's proven himself? It seemed like anymore, teams always want to trade a high first round draft pick because of the cost. If it goes into effect, then our ton ten pick will be worth gold.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from dboss. Show dboss's posts

The Raiders are offensively challenged and their defense stinks so I'm hoping for a top 5.

I would like to see the patriots use both 1st round picks to add top of the line players.  And depending on their needs at year end their 2nd round picks will also be very valuable.

My wish list (on defense) pass rushing, run stopping defensive end, OLB that can set the edge, rush the passer and drop back into pass protection coverage.  Now those are pretty big orders and 1st rounders may be need to fill them.  However if Ingram was there when we pick i would take him in a heartbeat.

In the second round would like to see the patriots add a top of the line offensive lineman.  I know they usually do not use high picks for offensive lineman so a third rounder or lower may work.  I think NE has 2 second rounders.

All in all NE should be able to complete the rebuilding process on the defensive side of the ball and address some openings on their offensive line.

The Patriots are rebuilding and trying to stay competitive at the same time.  That is not an easy task and that is why my expectations this year are tempered.  But my long term view is that NE will be a top level team for years to come.

dboss

Sections
Shortcuts