We got Crumpler!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from Joakimbrian. Show Joakimbrian's posts

We got Crumpler!

Whats your take on this?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Re: We got Crumpler!

Fantastic signing.

I thought he would re-sign with Tenn or Atl for sure.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

great signing, he is a blocking TE that can catch.  He is also a high character guy

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdoggg. Show underdoggg's posts

He's enormous, 262# is conservative.  He's old.  He's slow.  But like a big boy in the middle of the paint (bball reference) he can block out defenders from the ball and get it.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

hes perfect for the utilization of TE's that we had last year... primarily blockers, occasionally sneak out and catch a ball.

GREAT SIGNING! called it at the beginning of free agency.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Great signing. Now we can take a chance on a raw but high upside TE like Jimmy Graham in the draft and have Crumpler teach him the harder points of the TE position (like blocking). Maybe we move back with #22 now for a 2nd and 3rd and gra Graham with the 3rd. Though if the other Graham (OLB) is available at 22 I'd rather have him.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from bobomul. Show bobomul's posts

Stats OverviewReceivingRushingFumbles
    SPLITRECYDSAVGLNGTDATTYDSAVGLNGTDFUMLST
    Career367469112.86337000.00065
    Player News (last updated: March 18, 2010)
    News: Crumpler has agreed to a deal with the Patriots, reports the Boston Globe.
    Spin: Crumpler's not the receiving threat he once was, but the Patriots are bringing in a good all around player. He was more of an asset in the running game as a blocker over the past two years with the Titans, with just 479 receiving yards and two touchdowns over that timeframe, but the Patriots do have a better throwing offense that Crumpler could re-emerge in. His receiving projections for 2010 will hinge on whether the Patriots bring in another, more passing oriented tight end, which some expect them to do.

Grade: 72 | Key

Comment: After spending his first seven years in the NFL with the Atlanta Falcons, Crumpler spent the 2008 season with the Titans and started 15 games. He posted his lowest numbers since being drafted in the second round of the 2001 draft. He is a good-sized tight end with above average athleticism as well as downfield speed and excellent receiving skills. He has definitely lost a step over the years, primarily due to injuries. But Crumpler still has enough left in his tank to provide a team with a good receiving tight end who knows how to read coverages, set up defenders and catch the ball over the middle as well as stretch the secondary down the middle. He is also an effective blocker who has strength, bulk and an understanding of blocking angles. He has a decent burst out of his breaks to separate from defenders and can be an effective open field runner after the catch.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptFoxboro. Show CaptFoxboro's posts

Would rather of gotten FELLS from Rams ( more upside ) , but then again considering that dum ars TE actually preffered to stay in St. Louis ... maybe not.

NOTE : It's interesting that one of the reasons the Titans didnt resign Crumpler was because we traded Ten. our 3rd rounder last year ( for their 2nd rounder this year ) and they selected their TE Jarod Cook .

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

I watched him in Atlanta for most of his career and even with opposing defenses knowing that he was Vick's sole reliable target, he still put up Pro Bowl numbers. Obviously, he's now  much older and slower but the intelligence for blocking and the route-running doesn't diminish that fast, if at all. He's going to be a great addition.

While Vick was flipping off the fans, dogfighting, and buying chains for his groupies, I not once heard a negative thing about Alge off the field. Great move.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

Even if Crumpler doesn't present much of an Offensive threat he can block just ask Chris Johnson,one things for sure none of the Patriots RB's gained the edge much last year,maybe with the big guy laying the wood we will see longer runs from the LOS. After searching the world I found the perfect H-back fit to go with Crumpler,Jameson Konz an H-back from Kent State his former teammate is presently playing Slot receiver for the Patriots. His workout numbers are incredible! 4.41 forty,46 inch Vertical,10-8 broad jump 4.25 second shortshuttle  drill,6.93 in the second three cone drill..He would have been in the top 3 in every category at the combine,the topper is he's 6'4" 235 lbs the downside is he's only played the H-back position for 1 year,he formerly played LB.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from 49Patriots. Show 49Patriots's posts

He fits the mold for Bill Belichick's TE. Great blocking ability.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from boomerst3. Show boomerst3's posts

Didn't we have a guy who was a great blocker but never got the ball thrown to him, and was considered a beast? Maybe the Pats didn't want to pay much and got this guy for cheap.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrogLegs. Show FrogLegs's posts

Ha great move!!!
    With that signing maybe the Pats won't waste a high draft pick on a TE.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pats7393. Show Pats7393's posts

In Response to Re: We got Crumpler!:
    Ha great move!!! With that signing maybe the Pats won't waste a high draft pick on a TE.
    Posted by FrogLegs

Disagree, we still draft a TE but now every TE in the draft is in play.  There are some guys who are listed as TE but are more like a BIG WR.  I would think in the 4th or 6th we get one of those type guys.  Regardless this is a good addition, Alge is a guy who the team will not have problems with in the locker room. 

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

boom... that was Graham I think your thinking of but in his case no offense to him, Crumpler is a better blocker then even he was. I only need to know that Chris Johnson was campaigning to keep Crumpler because he was such a big reason CJ hit 2000 yards.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Yeah we will still draft a TE maybe in the 3rd if we get a compensatory there (I read somewhere that Patriots will get a 3rd or 4th round compensatory to go with the 6th round and couple of 7th round ones) or maybe we trade one of the second round picks for a 3rd and a 5th this year... Cleveland has 3 3rds and 4 5th's so they are a perfect fit to work a deal with..

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

Nickname - pondscum.
    Posted by underdoggg

Why did we think that you wouldn't like it?

The fact that you don't like it means that it is a great signing.....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

Great signing here...glad we got another OL/TE in there to protect Brady.  He can also slide out for a pass or two....

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from Wizardsjag. Show Wizardsjag's posts

Crumpler will be good for our running game and pass blocking (hope he can help out Kaczur or whoever is on our right side). Plus I expect he can sneak out and catch 20-30 passes. Be nice to see the Pats pound the rock more in the 2nd half of games and wear out defenses next season.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from wtfmaroney. Show wtfmaroney's posts

IMHO crumpler is great, but that kid jared cook jr. would be a Ben Watson that can block and catch,AND has the speed to stretch the field, but im guessing with this move the Pats are hinting they will pick up a TE with one of the 3 2nd round picks, but this still was a great move and im excited to see if it helps our running game at all

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from CaptFoxboro. Show CaptFoxboro's posts

RE : Pats getting a 3rd round Compensatory Pick . It's my understanding that the 3rd rounders (highest awarded ) are only given out to teams losing a "huge contract star " via free agency (though other factors are taken into account such as adding UFA's vs losing 'em )
    That said , I doubt we lost anybody of that caliber ( I was kinda hoping someone would jump on Burgess and this might reward us with some 3rd round caliber comp , but it's pretty obvious to all that the guys skills have declined and isn't worth the cash ...or sadly a 3rd and 5th , which is what it costs us ...incidentally the raiders just used that 3rd from us to land WIMBLEY from the Browns...DOH ! )

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from m1021us. Show m1021us's posts

RE : Pats getting a 3rd round Compensatory Pick . It's my understanding that the 3rd rounders (highest awarded ) are only given out to teams losing a "huge contract star " via free agency (though other factors are taken into account such as adding UFA's vs losing 'em ) That said , I doubt we lost anybody of that caliber ( I was kinda hoping someone would jump on Burgess and this might reward us with some 3rd round caliber comp , but it's pretty obvious to all that the guys skills have declined and isn't worth the cash ...or sadly a 3rd and 5th , which is what it costs us ...incidentally the raiders just used that 3rd from us to land WIMBLEY from the Browns...DOH ! )
    Posted by CaptFoxboro

I thought that the compensatory picks were set for this year and if we lost a big free agent this season, we would be compensated in next year's draft.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrogLegs. Show FrogLegs's posts

In Response to Re: We got Crumpler! : Disagree, we still draft a TE but now every TE in the draft is in play.  There are some guys who are listed as TE but are more like a BIG WR.  I would think in the 4th or 6th we get one of those type guys.  Regardless this is a good addition, Alge is a guy who the team will not have problems with in the locker room. 
    Posted by Pats7393

I was speaking of a HIGH draft pick (1rst or 2nd round).
    The failure in using high draft picks on TE is well documented in NE (Graham, Watson, Thomas, etc...).
    A TE in the 4th-7th round range doesn't bother me.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Is this a good signing???
    I ask myself what is going on. We let go of Watson and we get Crumpler who is older, slower and is not the same tight end he used to be back in Atlanta. What does BB see in Crumpler? Alge went to Tennesee a few years back with the hope of revamping Tenessee's attack. What did he accomplish? He had a really big fumble that cost Tennessee a playoff game against the Ravens in 2008. So Baltimore went to the playoffs and Tennessee didn't. I don't think we can count on him to catch many passes. Hopefully, he can still block.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from FrogLegs. Show FrogLegs's posts

I don't think we can count on him to catch many passes. Hopefully, he can still block.
    Posted by NYC

BB didn't count on Watson to catch passes either so they get a great blocker for a cheaper price.
    That's a good signing to my book.

Sections
Shortcuts