We keeping 4 TE?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

We keeping 4 TE?

Man we are very thin at wide receiver now. Perhaps that's intentional yes? We keep 4 TE and engage in a passing attack with guys that are hard to handle?

Could be very innovative and perhaps difficult to stop. Also good blocking to unleash a running game.

Just thinkin'

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

Re: We keeping 4 TE?

Era of the TE

posted at 08/27/2012 07:17:35 EDT

• part-timer
    • First: 10/28/2007
    • Last: 08/31/2012

The new look of the era of the TE may have just shown itself. The current look of the depth chart on the offensive skill players is showing something different. We currently have only three vet WR's on the roster and virtually no chance to add to that(both Edelman and Slater thus far have shone little more than their ST value) . On the other hand we currently have Seven TE's on the roster with a vary real possibility of keeping four, with the reality that AH who just got locked up LONG term as was Gronk can be considered a very real threat as a receiver. Fell also has a real shot of being a good contributer, and Ballard still has a good chance of coming off pup and contributing around mid November. Until that point we have a vet in Shiancoe and Silvestro who has a very real chance of making the team, as I feel he has impressed with the chances he has had. Also the versatility he has with his history at DE. Do not forget BB activated him for the SB last year so their must be a sense of respect from BB and that does not come easily.

There is a good possibility we go into this season with Gronk,AH,Fells,and one of Shiancoe or Silvestro. My money being on Silvestro.

There is also a good possibility we start the season with only three true receiver's, Lloyd,Welker, and Branch. Branch being the actual 5th receiver with the Gronk and AH connection.

All this does not even account for the receiving threat coming from the back field with our RB's that can also line up as receiver's or out of the backfield.

The potential combinations of blocking schemes,and receiver combinations are countless.  I have a feeling we will see the unveiling of a new hybrid offence that may make the spread obsolete and still function in the hurry up. Always having the option to have the defence in the wrong man combinations.

What about coming out Gronk,AH,Fells,and Ballard(late season) and either Riddley or Woodhead. How do you defend that power package when there is the threat of at least 3 may be four releasing into a pattern???

THIS COULD GET REAL INTERESTING!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

In response to We keeping 4 TE?:

Man we are very thin at wide receiver now. Perhaps that's intentional yes? We keep 4 TE and engage in a passing attack with guys that are hard to handle?

Could be very innovative and perhaps difficult to stop. Also good blocking to unleash a running game.

Just thinkin'

Yes. We have our two TE's and we have one of the Giant's TEs and we have a couple of guys the Jets would have liked. But they wanted to try to ground and pound without a RT or blocking TE. I think ground and pound maybe is what happens to Jets RBs when they have to run with no blocking.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

Maybe we convert Welker to TE and give him another franchise tag but tied to a TEs salary. I assume that would reduce his pay. And then we line up Gronk, Hern, Ballard, Fells and Welker at TE. And we make Ebner a 60 minute player as a safety and a 6th TE. But we will have to take Brady out to run the 6 TE set as you have to have 5 O lineman in the game at all times.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

lol I suggested that even well before part-time started his thread (right before the 75man cut down actually) and people looked at me funny. The reasoning is the same now as it was then. Hern is for all intensive purposes a WR. They might call him a TE but he was more often tossed in motion then he was assigned to be an additional blocker. Since the Pats use mainly a 2 TE set now and the RB in the backfield you are rarely going to have 3 WR's on the field at the same time. When you do though you can still have your 2 TE's in Gronk and Fells (who is closer to a more traditional TE then Hern but can still do damage in the pass game) and have Hern on the field too. It just makes sense, though it only made sense to me to have Hern act as essentially the #4 WR when he needs to be and the #2 TE when it isn't critical to have that extra big blocker with Edelman being the #5. However, with Branch cut it kind of nixes that theory unless either him or Gaffney are resigned after week 1

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

In response to We keeping 4 TE?:
    [QUOTE]

Era of the TE

posted at 08/27/2012 07:17:35 EDT

• part-timer
    • First: 10/28/2007
    • Last: 08/31/2012

The new look of the era of the TE may have just shown itself. The current look of the depth chart on the offensive skill players is showing something different. We currently have only three vet WR's on the roster and virtually no chance to add to that(both Edelman and Slater thus far have shone little more than their ST value) . On the other hand we currently have Seven TE's on the roster with a vary real possibility of keeping four, with the reality that AH who just got locked up LONG term as was Gronk can be considered a very real threat as a receiver. Fell also has a real shot of being a good contributer, and Ballard still has a good chance of coming off pup and contributing around mid November. Until that point we have a vet in Shiancoe and Silvestro who has a very real chance of making the team, as I feel he has impressed with the chances he has had. Also the versatility he has with his history at DE. Do not forget BB activated him for the SB last year so their must be a sense of respect from BB and that does not come easily.

There is a good possibility we go into this season with Gronk,AH,Fells,and one of Shiancoe or Silvestro. My money being on Silvestro.

There is also a good possibility we start the season with only three true receiver's, Lloyd,Welker, and Branch. Branch being the actual 5th receiver with the Gronk and AH connection.

All this does not even account for the receiving threat coming from the back field with our RB's that can also line up as receiver's or out of the backfield.

The potential combinations of blocking schemes,and receiver combinations are countless.  I have a feeling we will see the unveiling of a new hybrid offence that may make the spread obsolete and still function in the hurry up. Always having the option to have the defence in the wrong man combinations.

What about coming out Gronk,AH,Fells,and Ballard(late season) and either Riddley or Woodhead. How do you defend that power package when there is the threat of at least 3 may be four releasing into a pattern???

THIS COULD GET REAL INTERESTING!

[/QUOTE]

Hey...Kudos man...very insightful. It would force linebackers to become DBs, serious miss-match for sure. Should be interesting indeed.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Gronk and Hernandez are exceptional.  They demand to be on the field.  Hernandez might well count as a wide receiver or as a running back.  A three tight end array is a possibility against teams with the wrong personnel to guard against that alignment.  So, at least four tight ends make sense. 

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In response to Paul_K's comment:

Gronk and Hernandez are exceptional.  They demand to be on the field.  Hernandez might well count as a wide receiver or as a running back.  A three tight end array is a possibility against teams with the wrong personnel to guard against that alignment.  So, at least four tight ends make sense. 

agree most with "hern and grok needing to be on the field."

boy was the assessmen i made about the tes and bbs response to not having 2 healthy tes to go in the sb  (and even pritor to the gronks injury, about the need or a legtit replacement in an offense that relies on having 2 outstanding tes) .

we're a te heavy offense and everything revolves around that, bb wont get caught with his pants down again if a te gets hurt.

he so doenst want to lose shinacoe that hes on the 53 even with his injury....that was a lil suprising. you may be right paul. i suggested the fromation last year before we really had the personnel to run it.

this year what id most like to see is demps, welker, hern and gronk on teh field at teh same time (you could also alternate a te (fells till we have ballard) for welker. dont know how you could defend that if our o line is working again.

crazy amount of speed. talent and threats.

in f.a. (and next year in draft,  i think we need to bolster our o line, help wilfork, and if possible improve our starting cbs)

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from mbear3915. Show mbear3915's posts

We might be hold 4 TEs so we can put Shiancoe on the special IR list. Maybe then use the slot for a FB.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

As PatsEng said, Hernandez is a WR more than a TE. I doubt we'll see him doing much in-line blocking this year with both Shiancoe and Fells around in addition to Gronk. We will, however, see him in the slot and split out wide.

Lloyd      Hernandez(slot)     LT  LG  C  RG  RT Gronk(TE)     Welker(Slot or wide)
                                                         Brady

Ridley/Vereen

Or go 'big':

Welker/Lloyd         Gronk LT  LG  C  RG  RT Shiancoe     Hernandez
                                                    Brady

Ridley/Vereen

Though they lack WR depth, there are plenty of sets they can line up in. Gronk being such a beast makes it easier. Lloyd and Welker offer as much as any 1/2 WR combo in the league. Hern/Gronk offer way more than any other 3/4 options. Or however you want to order them, their top 4 options are better than any other team, period. All 4 could easily break 1000 yards. They all almost did last year.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

You want to go heavy with an option for three or four receivers:

Gronkowski         Ballard   Soldier  Mankins  Connolly  Waters Vollmer   Shiancoe        Hernandez

Brady

Ridley

What good is a Corner Back in this formation. You force the defence to defend with Safeties and Line Backers to match up with the size, yet they can not match the quickness of Gronkowski,Hernandez,and Ridley, and possibly Ballard. The Corner Back can deal with the speed but are way out matched with the size. I see no way a defence can match the unusural combination of quickness and size this presents, They go with speed and we pound them with the ground and short screens, they go with size and we put three or four out in patterns. Combine that with the no huddle hurry up game and Brady can go any way he wants according to the defencive personel and formations. This is a new day in the NFL and the rest of the league will be playing catch up for years. This combinatin of size and speed can not be just ordered up. We are the exception, and it is obvious that BB has been trying to set this up for at least three years.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

:
    Unfriggen believable! I tried for half an hour to post a responce to   dragons  post and kept getting the banned word screen. It was not my post, I had to deleate his comments (that are all ready posted) to get my comments allowed. How the fk can that happen. Pure BS.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

In response to part-timer's comment:

:
    Unfriggen believable! I tried for half an hour to post a responce to   dragons  post and kept getting the banned word screen. It was not my post, I had to deleate his comments (that are all ready posted) to get my comments allowed. How the fk can that happen. Pure BS.

Got it apparently you can not use his full screen name in a post, apperently it is bannable by the program for some reason.......

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

ma6dragon9

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from part-timer. Show part-timer's posts

I give up!

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

In response to NoMorePensionLooting's comment:

Just thinkin'

I was just commenting about this on TFB's thread. Iwas thinking that they are going to use Hernandez as a wideout much of the time.

Sections
Shortcuts