We may yet again have an Enforcer on D

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

We may yet again have an Enforcer on D

Although I agreed he didn't make the best Patriot, I was worried when we lost Spikes because he was the only guy who really brought the heat when it came to tackling.  The ability to lay someone out is huge, because it can fire up the whole defense and be a psychological edge that leads to imposing your will against your opponent.  We have a lot of great tacklers on the team, but rather than risk injury by going full bore into someone, they are mostly just sound wrap up tacklers. 

Then this week I've been hearing stories out of camp that Brandon Browner is laying people out at practice ala Rodney Harrison.  While no one likes the idea of Patriot players getting busted up in practice, this is actually exciting news.  I'm sure he's going to bring that edge and that fire to the field on game day, and that is exactly what this team needs.  I'm suspecting like most of you that we are going to have one heck of a D this year and if we can get lucky on the health front being a top 5 defense is not out of the question.  How much more fired up would they play with an enforcer in their ranks.  It's an exciting prospect for sure. 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

Re: We may yet again have an Enforcer on D

That's been Browners MO. A big heavy hitter and one of the best press corners out there. That's why he was part of the legion of boom.

Trust me, I'm an engineer!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

Yep.  This has been mentioned in other threads.  I actually think we have some underrated thumpers here like mayo, hightower, arrington, etc but we needed another in the middle since mccourty isn't a heavy hitter.

With spikes gone, this browner move is a nice replacement.  Love his passion and fire.

He and kelly come across as throwbacks.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to agill1970's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Although I agreed he didn't make the best Patriot, I was worried when we lost Spikes because he was the only guy who really brought the heat when it came to tackling.  The ability to lay someone out is huge, because it can fire up the whole defense and be a psychological edge that leads to imposing your will against your opponent.  We have a lot of great tacklers on the team, but rather than risk injury by going full bore into someone, they are mostly just sound wrap up tacklers. 

Then this week I've been hearing stories out of camp that Brandon Browner is laying people out at practice ala Rodney Harrison.  While no one likes the idea of Patriot players getting busted up in practice, this is actually exciting news.  I'm sure he's going to bring that edge and that fire to the field on game day, and that is exactly what this team needs.  I'm suspecting like most of you that we are going to have one heck of a D this year and if we can get lucky on the health front being a top 5 defense is not out of the question.  How much more fired up would they play with an enforcer in their ranks.  It's an exciting prospect for sure. 

[/QUOTE]

I mentioned this yesterday how much its gonna help our D and the O because of going through these physical practices with guys in your face, our offense will be that much tougher and maybe compete harder in the postseason when you play better defenses. I was also saying that we havent had that since Rodney. Def. a welcome site.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from seawolfxs. Show seawolfxs's posts

The more physical team ususally wins

What  i love is that he is also covering really well

very exciting

Pat's Fan lost in Jet Land

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from joepatsfan111111. Show joepatsfan111111's posts

Brandon Browner laying out dudes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgUaZtkTy1A" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgUaZtkTy1A  (Welker hit)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU0SbhuPi8k" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU0SbhuPi8k (Takes out 3 Cardinals in like 5 seconds)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljk3Ak7UlwU" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ljk3Ak7UlwU (Him laying out Jennings on a cheap shot, then fighting him)

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

Another advantage is he's going to make thompkins a better receiver.  You get mugged every practice you fight harder for the ball. 

Now you got the easy part done telling me about it.

Does that handshaped bruise on your back hurt?

But, but I'm a good poster!

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DougIrwin. Show DougIrwin's posts

In response to Philskiw1's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Another advantage is he's going to make thompkins a better receiver.  You get mugged every practice you fight harder for the ball. 

[/QUOTE]

I wonder if bb will put browner on gronk at all?  I have not read much on that matchup.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from agill1970. Show agill1970's posts

In response to DougIrwin's comment:
    [QUOTE]

I wonder if bb will put browner on gronk at all?  I have not read much on that matchup.

[/QUOTE]

Please don't.  If I hear about Gronk going down in practice I might wind up in the ER.  Although I suppose he has to start taking thumps at some point because they are surely going to happen when the season starts.  I fully expect guys to get after Gronk with the fire to get in his head. 

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

heck I wonder when gronk will have live contact 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Please don't.  If I hear about Gronk going down in practice I might wind up in the ER.  Although I suppose he has to start taking thumps at some point because they are surely going to happen when the season starts.  I fully expect guys to get after Gronk with the fire to get in his head. 

[/QUOTE]

Exactly, We dont need Browner the bully getting Gronk hurt. Bad enough, KT came up lame once when he got tangled up with this guy. Gronk has been shadowed by Revis, I assume to get him used to running alongside a defender without really being contacted. Revis is the best cover guy. Allows Gronk to get his timing back and work against a guy instead of shadow route running. During the year, I expect Browner to do a myriad of things, one of which will be covering bigger tight ends who are too fast for linebackers. He is just gonna disrupt Ish. Easley when healthy can provide havoc on the line hopefully.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Not sure about that. Thompkins has heart, I'll give him that. But, sometimes it takes more than practice to out physical someone and Thompkins might be limited not by desire but by just physical limitations.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

Something I have wanted this team to have for many years now.  I wouldn't mind a little trash talking either.  I feel a bit of trash talking helps motivate players to back up their talk by playing harder, more physical.  I think taking the high road and avoiding trash talk works sometimes but certainly not all the time.  The Patriots have been bullied in the past, and I think a bit of smack, a bit of attitude would help this team in the bigger games, the bigger the event the more trash talk, imo.  Now don't get me wrong, I'm not saying the team should all trash talk and go over board with it, but have play approach the event with some swag, an attitude, a little trash talk. 

So far I like what I am hearing and reading from Browner.  Big, physical, in your face player.  Love it!

Be a Fan!  But don't be a Homer Fan!

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronk1. Show ronk1's posts

I dont know. I dont like CB's playing so physical. They get hurt to easily. See Dennerd. See Arrington. See Ras. See Bodden. See Gay.

Sure Browner is bigger, stronger and more physical. I prefer to see him in coverage jamming WR's rather than meeting TE's or FB's head on at the LOS

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:
    [QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Not sure about that. Thompkins has heart, I'll give him that. But, sometimes it takes more than practice to out physical someone and Thompkins might be limited not by desire but by just physical limitations.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

i feel you step up to the level of competition. If he's smaller then he needs to learn how to position his body, or time his jumps. 

Granted giving up 22 lbs and 3" is tough to over come but he won't be getting covered by guys that big every game , ones that can run anyway.

practicing against really good competition can only help. I'm seeing that Brady is getting some coverage he's not used to in camp. I'm thinking he has a stellar year as well. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]

i feel you step up to the level of competition. If he's smaller then he needs to learn how to position his body, or time his jumps. 

Granted giving up 22 lbs and 3" is tough to over come but he won't be getting covered by guys that big every game , ones that can run anyway.

practicing against really good competition can only help. I'm seeing that Brady is getting some coverage he's not used to in camp. I'm thinking he has a stellar year as well. 

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

Brady I agree with, he's going to get only sharper throwing against Revis and Browner in practice. Having to run against both should sharpen each of the receivers route running ability too. But, there are just some things you can't teach or learn. Thompkins got knocked around a lot last year at the line. Sometimes I swear I saw him not get past 5 yards after 3s. B. Johnson had similar issues and practicing against physical DB's like Rodney, Law, and Samuel didn't help him with that. Hopefully you are right but I'm just cautioning it's not always the case that just getting beat up every time you come to the line will make you a better player getting off the line. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from TripleOG. Show TripleOG's posts

In response to PatsEng's comment:

[object HTMLDivElement]

Brady I agree with, he's going to get only sharper throwing against Revis and Browner in practice. Having to run against both should sharpen each of the receivers route running ability too. But, there are just some things you can't teach or learn. Thompkins got knocked around a lot last year at the line. Sometimes I swear I saw him not get past 5 yards after 3s. B. Johnson had similar issues and practicing against physical DB's like Rodney, Law, and Samuel didn't help him with that. Hopefully you are right but I'm just cautioning it's not always the case that just getting beat up every time you come to the line will make you a better player getting off the line. 

Wow, you are just convinced that KT cannot get any better and you wonder why I called you a hater. Yesterday you said Boyce showed more consistency when on the field than KT despite the guy only playing 3 games compared to KT playing 9. Boyces first game was very forgettable, He had many drops and logged one catch. He caught 3 and 4 passes the next 2 weeks with no one else on the field due to injury. Everyone at camp said he came back better and is primed to be our # 1 outside option yet you continue to throw salt on this guy whenever you can.

32 catches and 4 TD,6 rec. over 20 yards with highest ypc of all rooks. vs 9 catches on zero TD, 1 rec. over 20 yards.  Boyce averaged 3 catch per game, KT average 3.5.. Where do you get that Boyce was more consistent?

With all due respect...Bethel Johnson??  He has already surpassed his career pats numbers in his 1st season.

In another thread you say he is possibly in a fight for a spot w/Roy Finch??!  LOL

You need to get to camp if possible so you can see for yourself how off base you are.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsfaninpa420. Show patsfaninpa420's posts

Just read an article about the D and their performance as of yet.

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/patriots-fun-loving-defense-gets-best-brady?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo" rel="nofollow">http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/patriots-fun-loving-defense-gets-best-brady?p=ya5nbcs&ocid=yahoo

This is good news. With the question marks surrounding the offense concerning Gronk's ability to stay healthy and some of the young receivers.  It's good to know we have the makings of the defense that can win games when they need to. It's still early but there's a lot to be positive about.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

In response to TripleOG's comment:
    [QUOTE]

Wow, you are just convinced that KT cannot get any better and you wonder why I called you a hater. Yesterday you said Boyce showed more consistency when on the field than KT despite the guy only playing 3 games compared to KT playing 9. Boyces first game was very forgettable, He had many drops and logged one catch. He caught 3 and 4 passes the next 2 weeks with no one else on the field due to injury. Everyone at camp said he came back better and is primed to be our # 1 outside option yet you continue to throw salt on this guy whenever you can.

32 catches and 4 TD,6 rec. over 20 yards with highest ypc of all rooks. vs 9 catches on zero TD, 1 rec. over 20 yards.  Boyce averaged 3 catch per game, KT average 3.5.. Where do you get that Boyce was more consistent?

With all due respect...Bethel Johnson??  He has already surpassed his career pats numbers in his 1st season.

In another thread you say he is possibly in a fight for a spot w/Roy Finch??!  LOL

You need to get to camp if possible so you can see for yourself how off base you are.

[/QUOTE]

[object HTMLDivElement]

1) the term hater is such an lousy term made up by those who can't put together a good discussion and used as an end all, you must hate the guy because you don't think of him as I do. I've said repeatedly I have nothing against the guy I just think he's limited talent wise. That's not hate that's just not seeing the talent there. Saying you're a hater because you don't see the talent is like me calling you a Hawkins hater or a Gallon hater. It makes no sense!

2) Johnson wasn't a comparison it was an example that not all players can overcome physical limitations dispite good practice partners. Did you not read that? Or are you so blinded by the thought I'm a "hater' you see everything as an attack?

3) Yes BB loves STs play and hasn't had a returner for years. If BB goes 6 RBs (which was part of the discussion) I see him carrying 5 WR's. By simple numbers that means the potential 6th WR would e competing with the 6th RB. Finch would be a 6th RB would he not? So, yes if Finch looks to be something special as a KR BB might have to make a choice. Doesn't mean it is going to happen but we've seen crazier things happen at cut down day. Again take off those hater glass. 

4) You keep forgetting Thompkins got most of his numbers when it was basically him and Edelman as Vereen was hurt, Gronk was hurt, Amendola was hurt, Boyce hadn't played yet, Dobson was recovering from being hurt. The moment they started to return Thompkins regressed and lost snaps. He had mixed games and was inconsistent when he was active. If he is as good as those numbers you posted why would BB bench him?

Put down the wax for a second and realize you are polishing his HoF bust to realize how much you are overrating him right now. Everyone and their grandfather have Boyce, Dobson, Amendola, Edelman, Slater making the team. If BB carries 6 WR's but numbers alone that means Thompkins is on the bubble and in a fight for a roster spot but you have in penciled in as the next Andre Johnson and you call me off base? 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from patsbandwagonsince76. Show patsbandwagonsince76's posts

[QUOTE]

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

Gronk can take hits fine, just not dirty hits. BB does not coach ACL popping hits on the side of the knees despite the NFL's defacto promotion of that type of play.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from OnlyDaTruth. Show OnlyDaTruth's posts

[QUOTE]

[/QUOTE]

a well-above average tandem of pass rushers would likely push this defense to top 3 defenses (assuming everyone stayed healthy throughout the year)

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsLifer. Show PatsLifer's posts

Assuming most everyone on D stays healthy, this will be a special defense. 

What concerns me more is our pass catchers. Without Gronk we are average. I don't expect many wr's in the nfl to have their way with revis and browner, but if our wr's can't get open, off the line or make plays against them how are they going to fare against Denver, Seattle, San Fran and others with good secondaries? I see a group that isn't physical nor overly athletic. The success again is tied to ultra crisp route running, the oline holding up long enough and Brady having to thread it with precision. I don't see anyone that is going to out muscle or out fight a cb for a ball. It would be nice to have 1 WR that can do this amongst the slew of smaller, quicker wr's we have. My hope is that Gronk stays heathly and Dobson can get on the field and progress. I don't see long terms success running our passing offense through Danny and Julian.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Baffle. Show Baffle's posts

In response to PatsLifer's comment:

Assuming most everyone on D stays healthy, this will be a special defense. 

What concerns me more is our pass catchers. Without Gronk we are average. I don't expect many wr's in the nfl to have their way with revis and browner, but if our wr's can't get open, off the line or make plays against them how are they going to fare against Denver, Seattle, San Fran and others with good secondaries? I see a group that isn't physical nor overly athletic. The success again is tied to ultra crisp route running, the oline holding up long enough and Brady having to thread it with precision. I don't see anyone that is going to out muscle or out fight a cb for a ball. It would be nice to have 1 WR that can do this amongst the slew of smaller, quicker wr's we have. My hope is that Gronk stays heathly and Dobson can get on the field and progress. I don't see long terms success running our passing offense through Danny and Julian.

To keep the D fresh and healthy, I see the O focusing on long clock killing drives with each possession. Emphasis on the run... screens... dump offs to RBs... hopefully that opens up some space for the WRs to work, especially with Brady's play action being pretty lethal. I think Edelman and Amendola would thrive in that approach. LaFell is built for setting up the screens. Gronk is always a threat to squirt out down the seam.

No, we don't have the WRs who will win one on one match ups with athleticism and physicality. But I don't think we had that in the early 2000s either and I dont think that's going to be the approach this year based on the roster in front of us.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from portfolio1. Show portfolio1's posts

I agree that Browner will help to add attitude to this D.

SO WILL:

• Mayo
    • Hightower
    • Vinny
    • Kelly
    • Chandler Jones
    • Easley (I believe)
    • Collins
    • and REVIS

Browner might be the catalyst emotionally. But the folks named will be bringing attitude. This could be a special D if healthy.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from m. a. pat. Show m. a. pat's posts

I hope Browner can help bring some more aggression to the entire D and keep this unit fired up. However it needs to be controlled aggression and IMO getting into a screaming match with O'Shea is a little over the top (especially in training camp).

I just wonder if this guy is a "me type" player or a team player. I didn't see a lot of Browner in Seattle and wonder if anyone has any insights.