We Need RUSHERS!!!!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

We Need RUSHERS!!!!

To quote a famous phrase from our own beloved Romeo Crennell

We need guys that can rush the passer and im sorry but bringing Rob Ninkovich off the edge is not working. Just giving us one less guy in coverage that we could have used.  I am guessing Bill will change some things going into next week at Buffalo.  Carter did nothing outside his sack he got penalized for and Anderson showed a little and may get more of Carters time, but for the life I me, I need to see something from somebody.  The interior push is not there and noone coming off that edge. Cant we see Cunningham on 3rd down? Shouldnt he be a better rusher than Nink?  IDk, but I dont mind giving up plays for great players and winning w/turnovers, but to not sniff the qb for whole drives is unnaceptable to me esp.  when our D is supposed to be improved in this area...smh

and for the record, I take back my statement last week about wanting Romeo Crennel Back.....Jeessh this guy is gonna be fired before mid season. I know they got some injuries, but K.C. has gotten stomped! 2 weeks in a row and not stopped anyone and they have good personell on Defense.  Could be worse for us.  Dont want Weiss back either for that matter. I think they are struggling with the new passing league..

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Re: We Need RUSHERS!!!!

I'm no expert on the matter but I see a lot more collapsing pockets than I saw last year. Could it be better? Oh yeah. Definitely. What I'm saying is this: I'm seeing that the pass rush at THE START of this season is better than the rush I saw at THE END of last season. It's a start and something to build on. Yesterday, I saw Rivers shift around yesterday, keep his eyes up, and fire darts where only his guys could catch them. We rushed him but he still has precise accuracy and there's no defense for a perfect throw.

I think conditioning plays a part in it. Hence the constant rotations.

I also think Belichick is keeping the wraps on the defense still because they're planning specifically for each opponent as they've always done and they're also getting used to a new full-time system. Plus, Belichick himself said that you don't really know what you have until you play four games. At this time last year, we got Butlerized by the Jets and let the Bills run all over us (until a Meriweather interception late killed their final drive). People were panicking. The defense made strides thanks in part to Belichick's brilliant disguising, which to me, made the best use of his lack of personnel.

I would like to see Mayo blitz more. Once they whet my appetite, I want to see him blitz a lot more.

I think Bill assumes he's making the playoffs this year and so I don't think he wants to get caught without healthy D-linemen again this year. Plus, his teams historically gain momentum as they approach the playoffs.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from TFB12. Show TFB12's posts

In Response to Re: We Need RUSHERS!!!!:
    I'm no expert on the matter but I see a lot more collapsing pockets than I saw last year. Could it be better? Oh yeah. Definitely.
    Posted by apdynasty23

I agree with this.  Better then last year with the rush but still not getting the kind we got so high on in the Bucs game.  I want more sacks but as long as we are winning I will be patient while they figure this out.

4. This post has been removed.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from MattC05. Show MattC05's posts

They haven't shown a lot of exotic looks so far; for the most part they've only rushed 4 with very few blitzes.  Like AP, I've noticed the pocket collapsing a lot more through 2 games than it did at any point last year.

Neither Henne nor Rivers were getting 4, 5, 6+ seconds to calmly scan the field.  They were making quick decisions and getting the ball out.

Across the league, defenses look to be way behind the offenses at this point.  I don't know if this is because it takes defenders longer to shake off the rust, if they need more contact to get game-ready; or if defensive play-calling needs more reps before they can play something more than vanilla schemes.  In either case, I'd expect by week 6 or so, we'll have a more accurate assessment of how this defense (and all defenses around the league) truly stand.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

In Response to Re: We Need RUSHERS!!!! : I agree with this.  Better then last year with the rush but still not getting the kind we got so high on in the Bucs game.  I want more sacks but as long as we are winning I will be patient while they figure this out.
    Posted by BradyMossFan

Sacks are overrated. Pressures/hurries is the true measure really. We're no longer a sacks-oriented defense, we're just not. I think if people are expecting 5-6+ sacks a game, we're going to get a ton more of these "defense still sucks" threads.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Sergio Brown's INT was the result of pressure on Rivers. The pocket collapsed on him and he wasn't able to step into his throw, therefore causing it to be underthrown and giving Sergio the opportunity to undercut the route and intercept the ball. The pass-rush is looking good so far. Collapsing the pocket well and forcing some poor throws. It will only get better.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

I agree Ap!

I just think we get teased a lot in preseason with agressive play and when reg. season starts you see none of it. It could be the scheme and Antonio getting the focus, but we have shown when we blitz we get results and once in a while you throw in a safety blitz or 2, but I saw much more middle pressure last week and make no mistake, S.D.'s line is Top notch and maybe thats why there wasnt much push, but you are right, better than last year at this time..so I will be patient...but im worried that we may have to blitz to get pressure and I thought this attacking 4-3 would be more effective, but theyare probably just making sure people know the basic first.  Didnt like what Barret did, after I endorsed him, but was very impressed w/ the new # 31 - S.Brown..  made some solid tackles and was in position and made a key INT.

We cant afford to lose Chung.....but I guess I want to see more rotations to get fresh rushers and # 96 should be out there helping..

Ellis has shown up well for an older guy...unsung hero of the line so far if you ask me

9. This post has been removed.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Question:

Clearly, the Patriots not blitzing is by design. Could that be a sign, too, of Belichick knowing his secondary is still getting back into gear? Maybe he's protecting the secondary by not blitzing. We're not blitzing and people are still making mistakes. Just a thought.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from apdynasty23. Show apdynasty23's posts

Agree with APs' point too about not showing more than you need on film early in th e season. Some feel this is baloney, I feel it's absolutely legit. If they were trailing or behind by a lot you may have seen more desperation in the schemes. Keep in mind, Rivers's big plays are usually these lobbed balls 20+ yards down field, where his WRs have a huge advantage.  So, a pass rush with extra players coming or a stunt, etc, may not even be effective.  He's good at avoiding the sack for multiple reasons. I saw some decent pass rushing, actually. SD's O Line is really good. It's just the way it is against them. 
    Posted by RidingWithTheKing

Yes. I'm assuming this is what Belichick is thinking:

"Nobody can score with us so get a good lead with Brady playing perfect football. Don't show more schemes/looks on defense than you have to. The more mystery you can preserve the better you can prey on teams later in the season. Play sound, solid, disciplined defense. Bait the opposing QB, who's now trying to fire shots to keep up with us, into making mistakes. Take those mistakes, score even more points, and put the game out of reach going into the 4th quarter. Then, sit back and give up underneath stuff and nothing deep."

Again, this is why 'yards allowed' isn't the best litmus test.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

for the record I still like the D and our potential and Im not looking for sacks, but I didnt see enough pressure and I feel Nink for as many times as he came could have done more...he was just getting overwhelmed and put to the ground. I love Rob and his versatility, but on 3rd down, Id like to see some other guys try their hand at getting after it...so hence the title .  I know its a work in progress, but im wondering WHO our rushers are.  I dont know if we have a playmaker that can get it done against the better O lines like S.D.

The Pats did actually blitz some, but the man on man coverage all day was more a product of not having a safety to help out because we were doubling Gates most of the day.  Against Bufallo next week, I fully expect to see more safety help and more schemes designed to get to Fitzy.  There is no ONE player to double on the Bills team, but you better keep as many players back as possible and hope the front 7 can stop Spillar and Co.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from vertigho. Show vertigho's posts

Patriots are 8th in the league in sacks, and 6th in INTs. 

We gave up 21 points to top-notch offense. I'm not at all disappointed. Again - they're only going to get better.

14. This post has been removed.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

for the record I still like the D and our potential and Im not looking for sacks, but I didnt see enough pressure and I feel Nink for as many times as he came could have done more...he was just getting overwhelmed and put to the ground. I love Rob and his versatility, but on 3rd down, Id like to see some other guys try their hand at getting after it...so hence the title .  I know its a work in progress, but im wondering WHO our rushers are.  I dont know if we have a playmaker that can get it done against the better O lines like S.D. The Pats did actually blitz some, but the man on man coverage all day was more a product of not having a safety to help out because we were doubling Gates most of the day.  Against Bufallo next week, I fully expect to see more safety help and more schemes designed to get to Fitzy.  There is no ONE player to double on the Bills team, but you better keep as many players back as possible and hope the front 7 can stop Spillar and Co.
    Posted by JayShizzle45

Our LB and secondary have been identified as needing improvement. Guyton has been mentioned as our best cover LB because he has speed (but lacks in other areas...tackling and pass prevention). 

We also need more size and speed in the secondary so that our guys can close faster and size so that they won't be at such a disadvantage when big players invade their domain.

We patiently wait for someone to emerge from the LB and/or secondary to solve our positional needs. Perhaps we wait in vain while BB scours the FA list to look for hidden gems or perhaps he has already found what he needs and is allowing time for his athletic duo to be ready.

I'm referring to two late signers to the active roster.  Antwaun Molden (DB) and A J Edds (LB).  Both showed early favorable indications that they could play but both were victimized by injury and cut by their former team(s). 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from natesubs. Show natesubs's posts

In Response to We Need RUSHERS!!!!:
    To quote a famous phrase from our own beloved Romeo Crennell We need guys that can rush the passer and im sorry but bringing Rob Ninkovich off the edge is not working. Just giving us one less guy in coverage that we could have used.  I am guessing Bill will change some things going into next week at Buffalo.  Carter did nothing outside his sack he got penalized for and Anderson showed a little and may get more of Carters time, but for the life I me, I need to see something from somebody.  The interior push is not there and noone coming off that edge. Cant we see Cunningham on 3rd down? Shouldnt he be a better rusher than Nink?  IDk, but I dont mind giving up plays for great players and winning w/turnovers, but to not sniff the qb for whole drives is unnaceptable to me esp.  when our D is supposed to be improved in this area...smh and for the record, I take back my statement last week about wanting Romeo Crennel Back.....Jeessh this guy is gonna be fired before mid season. I know they got some injuries, but K.C. has gotten stomped! 2 weeks in a row and not stopped anyone and they have good personell on Defense.  Could be worse for us.  Dont want Weiss back either for that matter. I think they are struggling with the new passing league..
    Posted by JayShizzle45

both are great, crennel is dealing with a lot of injuries and due to the anemic offense his guys are on the field a long time. I would take him back in a heartbeat.  Weis isn't at KC, he is at florida U.  I would take weis's creative play calling back anyday.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

In Response to Re: We Need RUSHERS!!!! : Our LB and secondary have been identified as needing improvement. Guyton has been mentioned as our best cover LB because he has speed (but lacks in other areas...tackling and pass prevention).  We also need more size and speed in the secondary so that our guys can  close faster and size so that they won't be at such a disadvantage when big players invade their domain. We patiently wait for someone to emerge from the LB and/or secondary to solve our positional needs. Perhaps we wait in vain while BB scours the FA list to look for hidden gems or perhaps he has already found what he needs and is allowing time for his athletic duo to be ready. I'm referring to two late signers to the active roster.  Antwaun Molden (DB) and A J Edds (LB).  Both showed early favorable indications that they could play but both were victimized by injury and cut by their former team(s).  
    Posted by moskk

Stats:

A.J.Edds (LB)....6'4", 247Lbs, 40  yard time 4.71 seconds

Antwaun Molden (DB)... 6', 198 Lbs...40 yard time 4.44 seconds (has run in 4.39 seconds)

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from JayShizzle45. Show JayShizzle45's posts

mosk, good catch. I remember seeing # 90 on the field thinking...Who do we have  hurt now!?!

Its obvious Bill like this guy and wanted him to get some reps, as I think Fletch and Guyton are relatively healthy. He is an intriguing guy. Has a funny looking built...like a college DE or something, but did well after the first couple plays...so he is def. still tampering w/ the lineup, and I dont know what that means for Spikes.  He seemed to play pretty well for just coming back and I still like Fletch, so we'll look at that next week and see if anything changes.

I also like Moldens size and think he will help at some point. Must be hurt, as I thought he was better than Kyle in preseason. Let him get up to speed. May be needed to play safety soon

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

In Response to We Need RUSHERS!!!! : both are great, crennel is dealing with a lot of injuries and due to the anemic offense his guys are on the field a long time. I would take him back in a heartbeat.  Weis isn't at KC, he is at florida U.  I would take weis's creative play calling back anyday.
    Posted by natesubs

hey nate,
    you've been reading my mind or my posts over the last year and a half :)

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Vacilando. Show Vacilando's posts

First of all, give credit where credit is due:

SD Charger's Rivers stood in that pocket like a man with the pocket collapsing around him and tossed bullets to receivers that made spectacular catches. 

As Vertigho said:  Patriots are 8th in the league in sacks, and 6th in INTs.

WAIT PEOPLE!  BE CALM!  More sacks and interceptions to come by much more skiddish QBs!

Let's see what happens with Fitzpatrick this week before we all act like Chicken Little's.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

The D is disappointing so far, IMO.  Henne is no Rivers and he had the Pats D on the ropes too!  We need more blitzing and I believe that we need to draft an OLB and DE next year high as I do not see any answers on the current roster. Any game the O falters or has turnovers - like playoff vs Jets last year - look out folks cause the sky will fall on this Defenseless D!

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from tompenny. Show tompenny's posts

First of all, give credit where credit is due: SD Charger's Rivers stood in that pocket like a man with the pocket collapsing around him and tossed bullets to receivers that made spectacular catches.  As Vertigho said:  Patriots are 8th in the league in sacks, and 6th in INTs. WAIT PEOPLE!  BE CALM!  More sacks and interceptions to come by much more skiddish QBs! Let's see what happens with Fitzpatrick this week before we all act like Chicken Little's.
    Posted by Vacilando

Consistent pressure on the QB is far more important than a sack number.The bottom line is you can't let QB's sit in the pocket looking pretty. They didn't blitz much last game since they were doubling Gates. They pressured Henne a boatload in the 1st game. A simple example is the Bucks preseason game. Carter didn't even register a stat but was beasting and wrecking havoc.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

I thought the pressure in the first game against Henne was pretty darn good, it seemed like he got hit a lot in the second half (if not sacked) and it helped. Against the Chargers I thought our pass rush was handled very well, it looked like Rivers didn't have to move around much and he was able to convert third down after third down.

I like the players we added in the off season, but we need a young pass rusher that will be that X factor that teams have to account for. Maybe it's Anderson or Cunningham when he gets back? It should be easier for them with better quality guys around them. 

Sections
Shortcuts