We Need To Replace Logan Mankins and Richard Seymour In This Draft......

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

We Need To Replace Logan Mankins and Richard Seymour In This Draft......

I don't think the Patriots will be able to sign either one long term, Seymour is getting up there in age and there will always be a team like the Redskins that overpays to bring in a future Hall of Fame with some years left in him.   Mankins will also be tough to resign, especially with the money the Steve Hutchinson's of the world get.  I could see the Patriots franchising Mankins one season and either keeping him one year or trading him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.   

That's why this draft is so important.  We need to draft their replacements on the first day.   A good 3-4 defensive end that gets to a whole season to develop and an offensive guard will help this team's financial future.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from 347pg. Show 347pg's posts

Re: We Need To Replace Logan Mankins and Richard Seymour In This Draft......

DO
    Do you think the reason the Pats haven't signed Seymour to an extension is due to his performance?  Will they wait it out this year to see how good a season he has? 
    Personnaly, I think he's healthy and both he and Wilfork need to be re-signed now rather than later - while there is still a cap. 
    I'm sure BB has something up his sleeve, but the wait is killing me.Yell

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bunchofpixels. Show bunchofpixels's posts

I dont think Seymour's performance has been an issue, but his health certainly has been.  I agree the Patriots will probably draft an OG and a DE somewhere.  DEs dont grow on trees though.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

The Pats will do whatever they can to retain both players on long term contracts. OG and DL are long term needs, but that's with Jarvis Green having his contract expire and him being the oldest DL on the team, and Stephen Neal struggling with injuries and having his contract expire.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from P1gull. Show P1gull's posts

Below is what Happen if the Players do not sign PTL Meaning you need 6 year not 5 to become UFA

I do think that they will use the francise tag on Wilfork, Mankin will not have 6 years in the League so he will be a Restricted Free agent. Seymour will be the question?  this will be his last large Contract does he want to break the bank or be a Pat all his life?

Also as of today the Salary cap will be used in 2010 EST 132 Mill the Pats are 64 Mill under

Plenty of room to do what they want.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from DuncanOrange. Show DuncanOrange's posts

I realize Defensive Ends don't grow on trees but in this current NFL market a guy like Seymour could land a 50 million dollar contract as could Mankins.   The Patriots can't really afford to tie up 100 million dollars for Mankins and Seymour, that's why this draft is so important we need LB, Secondary, D-line, and O-line depth.  It the Patriots can hit on 5 or 6 future starters in this draft as well as pick up a couple picks in next years draft we'll be okay. 

But in BB era of drafting we've hit on guys like Seymour, Brady, Matt Light, Dan Koppen, Logan Mankins, Ellis Hobbs, Asante Samuel, James Sanders, Jared Mayo, Vince Wilfork, Ty Warren, Jarvis Green.  The Patriots don't always have great success drafting but we're good enough to have hope that this draft could be great.   

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Logan Mankins wont be going anywhere. First of all Steve Hutchinstien has not played up to ghis contract with teh Vikes, yes he has been good but no elite so if anything the amount of money he got will become a example of what not to do as giving a OG that kind of cash is dumb. Plus mankins is teh best Olinemen we have had since John Hannah played or Bruce armstrong at the very least and those guys are not easy to get your hands on. We might have to tag him at first but we will get a long term deal done. i thnk we will resign Wilfork and Mankins and let Seymore walk unless he takes a cheap deal.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Grogan77. Show Grogan77's posts

I agree about Seymour not being in a Patriot uniform after this season, I completely disagree about Logan Mankins.  Our Best OL isn't going anywhere, he'll be a Patriot for a very long time, maybe his entire career.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Kmaxx. Show Kmaxx's posts

That's why BB filled the positions of need, through Free Agency.  Now he has the luxury of drafting for the future with a lot of his picks.....and the rich get richer.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2009. Show Evil2009's posts

I don't think the Patriots will be able to sign either one long term, Seymour is getting up there in age and there will always be a team like the Redskins that overpays to bring in a future Hall of Fame with some years left in him.   Mankins will also be tough to resign, especially with the money the Steve Hutchinson's of the world get.  I could see the Patriots franchising Mankins one season and either keeping him one year or trading him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.    That's why this draft is so important.  We need to draft their replacements on the first day.   A good 3-4 defensive end that gets to a whole season to develop and an offensive guard will help this team's financial future.
    Posted by DuncanOrange

We need to work on the secondary and linebackers before we do anything else.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

even with all these guys contracts being up next season.22players to be exact.the pats will only have 5-million under the cap.brady,moss and a couple of others are due big money next season.so the question is who stays?and who leaves?im sure the pats would like to keep them all,but in reality they cant.next year we will have a new look pats team.with a lot of new faces,and names.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

even with all these guys contracts being up next season.the pats will only have 5-million under the cap.brady,moss and a couple of others are due big money next season.so the question is who stays?and who leaves?im sure the pats would like to keep them all,but in reality they cant.next year we will have a new look pats team.with a lot of new faces,and names.
    Posted by mosseffect43

of course they can keep all of them.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

of course they can keep all of them.
    Posted by KyleCleric2
    not with just 5 million in cap space.your talking 22 players who are free agents next year.i was refering on all the players not just these two.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Actually, offensive linemen do grow on pine.  Very sturdy pine trees that don't droop over like a Charlie Brown Christmas tree.

When BB wants an offensive lineman he goes for a really smart kid, not the fattest guy, not even the fastest guy, and rarely anyone with any NFL experience at all.  Then the guy always sits on the bench.  He grows for two years and gets completely ready.  Then the no-name plays.  Then in five years his contract is up and some other team pays him a jillion dollars.

The best round for drafting slow-learning linemen is Round 2, because you can sign the linemen to an extra year.  Really, it's about time to grab one more.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

I don't think the Patriots will be able to sign either one long term, Seymour is getting up there in age and there will always be a team like the Redskins that overpays to bring in a future Hall of Fame with some years left in him.   Mankins will also be tough to resign, especially with the money the Steve Hutchinson's of the world get.  I could see the Patriots franchising Mankins one season and either keeping him one year or trading him for a 2nd or 3rd round pick.    That's why this draft is so important.  We need to draft their replacements on the first day.   A good 3-4 defensive end that gets to a whole season to develop and an offensive guard will help this team's financial future.
    Posted by DuncanOrange

No...the Patriots need to sign Mankins, and must plan on replacing the aging, overpriced Richard Seymour. Look what happened to Seattle's offense when they let pro-bowl OG Steve Hutchinson get away. The right side of the OL must be upgraded...and oft injured 33 year old RG Steven Neal needs to be replaced.

To replace Seymour, the Pats may tab San Diego State DE Jarron Gilbert at #34. It might also somewhat explain their interest in Julius Peppers. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from KyleCleric2. Show KyleCleric2's posts

No...the Patriots need to sign Mankins, and must plan on replacing the aging, overpriced Richard Seymour. Look what happened to Seattle's offense when they let pro-bowl OG Steve Hutchinson get away. The right side of the OL must be upgraded...and oft injured 33 year old RG Steven Neal needs to be replaced.      To replace Seymour, the Pats may tab San Diego State DE Jarron Gilbert at #34. It might also somewhat explain their interest in Julius Peppers. 
    Posted by TexasPat3

Re-sign Mankins, yes. Replace Seymour, no. Nobody in this draft can replace Seymour in his impact on the field. We've seen the Pats struggle mightily without him on the field. Jarron Gilbert is my pick at #34, but that's to replace Jarvis Green. Green and Gilbert are much similar strengths and weaknesses than Seymour and Gilbert. Acquiring Julius Peppers had nothing to do with Seymour and everything to do with both helping the pass rush and finding a long time solution to the ROLB position.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

I believe before all is said and done in this years draft that BB will have drafted both a guy who plays both Guard and a Defensive End,who he's really looking at only BB knows and he ain't talking,I really think he worked for the CIA or the Mossad before he took up coaching or maybe that's his off season job!! We all will be kicking ourselves with all our crazy guesses..I only wish the Sox were as secretive.....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

None of us want to see Seymore go but teh facts are we have 3 big times free agents next year and we can probally only sign two out of the three and Wilfork and Mankins have WAY more upside then Seymore does at this point in his career. I do not think Seymore is too old, he is about to turn 30 and i think he will be good into his 30's so age has nothing to do with it its just that Seymore is older, more injury prone, and wants big money compeared to Mankins who is young as hell and quite possibly the best LG in the NFL right now and has never missed a game and Wilfork is still young and has not ben hurt nearly as much as Seymore. In a perfect world we would resign all of our free agents but i just dont see it happening.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from deluxbury. Show deluxbury's posts

Mankins goes nowhere!  He is a solid young talent you build your interior with. 

Seymore:  I love the big man, but I think this will be his last year in a Pats uniform.  The upside to having so many Belichick deciphles as coaches now is they all run the same defense.  There should be some decent talent on the free agent market in a year or two that that is familiar with Belichick's defensive scheme that can help fill that void.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from unclealfie. Show unclealfie's posts

Say goodbye to Richard Seymour. He hasn't been the same player since his injury 2 years ago and he makes big money. I believe he'll be cut after this season. 

I also believe that they'll try their best to keep Mankins but if he's all about the $$, he'll be off to free agency. I just hope they can get him into a new contract ASAP, so it doesn't develop into another Asante situation. Please, don't wait till the last miunute!!

So, yes, they need to be looking for an DE and an possibly an OG next year but this year's needs remain OLB, safety and CB help. A TE would be nice, too.

Sections
Shortcuts