We Overacheived, so lets be thankful for what we did!

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from riogrande100. Show riogrande100's posts

We Overacheived, so lets be thankful for what we did!

Ok i know we are hurting from the loss but who at the begining of the season with the roster expected that we would do so well in the regular season? The Jets were the media darling at the begining of the season!

lets not kid ourselves we are a team in transition with many young players of D and a new offense! the fact we did so well in the regular season made a lot of us confident, but upon further review we punched way above our weight class!

So where do we go from now? Well if their is a season next year we have a lot of picks which would mak our nearly defence an elite D!

If you look at the remianing four teams all have a very strong D, our D was good but not elite.

On another note the playoffs and superbowl is pot luck and usually the luckiest team wins and not the best team!

yes rings are important but i believe more people remember the 2007 for what the Pats did then what the Giants acheived! I mean we lost but we are still remembered more the the actual winners!!!!. To me the season ended after the regular season! The rest of these games i paramount to bowl games in college yes you win hardware but doesn't benchmark your season!

We are hurting but lets not forget that with a transition team we acheived a lot, and next year we will be better! The Pats way is to build a platform that moves forward and not try and win it all in one season and watch the team crumble the next (see raiders and titans in the early 00's)

I am hurting but the franchise is moving forward and we have good pieces so lets be optimistic!

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brad34. Show Brad34's posts

Re: We Overacheived, so lets be thankful for what we did!

Agree. Pats will win it all again if they get tougher on D and more of a pass rush. With the draft picks they have they should be able to either draft or trade for at least 1 very good pass rusher to fit their system.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

The "big" games generally come down to a couple of plays and some luck.

Forget the Chung play, forget the two TD  drop's, forget the lack of urgency in the second half and the two excellent "on-side" kicks that we just missed recovering. 

I think the Jets were really lucky to win this game.

Any two of those occurrences and we win by a touchdown and we have the Steelers at home.

In addition as we look to next year BB has some decisions to make--I think we'll be fine.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

I agree with your general premise, but super bowls are how success is measured, especially in New England.  All of the talk about we don't care about MVP, Pro Bowl, etc.  We just want to win the Super Bowl.

Anyway, my initial reaction as the clock hit 0 was that we had an amazing rebuilding year, many people (myself included) only saw us going 8-8 as our very young defense gained experience this year to set us up for the future.  The kids far exceeded expectations this year, on offense, defense, and special teams and I couldn't be happier with the direction this team is headed.

With all of the turnover on the roster, we knew that the dynasty was dead.  Time to emerge as the next dynasty.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from JimfromFlorida. Show JimfromFlorida's posts

NO ONE saw 14-2.
    NO ONE saw them beating every team left in the playoffs.
    All were expecting a good run at the playoffs.
    When you look at how bad the D was in the beginning it is surprising they did what they did.
    Yes we all would like a SB but really all you should try and do is to enjoy the ride. Then when you do get the SB win as what happened in 2001 the ending is so much sweeter.
    Our expectations are always higher and lower than what is the reality.

As for next year with all the draft choices it should be another great ride. However no one draft can gaurantee anything. Since we all know more draftees fail than succeed.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from JB-3. Show JB-3's posts

In Response to Re: We Overacheived, so lets be thankful for what we did!:
    As for next year with all the draft choices it should be another great ride. 
    Posted by JimfromFlorida

Jim, this is where you lost me.  I don't see how they are related to each other on any consistent basis.  Most players take 1-2 full seasons to start to show how well they will perform in the NFL, with the 2010 Patriots draft, seemingly being the exception to this rule.  I'd say that all of the picks from this past draft, should make the 2011 season another great ride, and the 2011 draft will have a greater impact on the 2012 season.  Although, it's tough to imagine getting more impact talent than the Pats in the 2010 draft (multiple rookies making the pro bowl).

I also think that the 2011 draft will be much less sexy as we will need to address the O-Line early on (barring FA moves).  Mankins, looks like he's gone.  Light's deal is up, Neal has said that next year will be his last.  Koppen's deal is up after next year as well.

7. This post has been removed.

8. This post has been removed.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

Just a moment while I place DontQuestionBB in the Totally Disregard file. . . . . . . . . . There we are.

A 14-2 season from the Pats this year was totally unexpected.  Although Sunday was very disappointing, BB will find a way to turn that loss to the Jets into a teaching opportunity. 

Lots of draft capital, lots of opportunity to improve the team this year and going forward.  This team will be highly competitive for years to come.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from tuckrules. Show tuckrules's posts

Agreed, when's the parade?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from MadMc44. Show MadMc44's posts

What was the other dropped TD?
    Posted by Patsfansince1966

Welker--I think in the 3 rd or 4 th qtr. and Crumpler's in the 1 st. qtr.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from SilverSun. Show SilverSun's posts

Amen, brother.  Great season, many thrills, young team - let's Cowboy Up in 2011 season. 

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from NYC. Show NYC's posts

Everyone needs time to put this loss into perspective. In some ways it hurts more than the SB loss to the Giants. Why?

1) It was unexpected by me and most we would go 14-2 this season. Perhaps this led us to believe we were better than what we were? Certainly, achieving the 14-2 record built up our expectations that the season was a failure if we did not win the Super Bowl!
    2) We beat all the teams left standing in the tourney in the regular season. This added more fuel to our expectations.
    3) People say we need a deep threat to stretch the field and a pass rusher to win but deep down we all know this game was winnable if we did not make mistakes (interception, fake punt decision, dropped passes) which would have changed the orientation of the game in the Pats favor. It is hard to accept losing because of mistakes. We want to believe we are perfect, infallible, invulnerable and can overcome all obstacles. Yet, we know it is only an ideal, impossible to always achieve. It is hard to accept all the team really did do during the season: changing offensive strategy in mid-season, bringing on new players and winning out.   
    4) It is hard to accept we overachieved in the regular season but the reality is we played mistake free for an incredibly long period and played mostly from ahead. This is a rarity in the NFL and in life. The downside was we never had to test ourselves much playing from behind and we did not develop the emotional mettle needed to come back in games the way we have in previous seasons.
    5) All these reasons left us emotionally vulnerable. We developed a "championship entitlement" mentality. We felt we "deserved the championship" because we were 14-2, had beat everybody etc. The reality is different. We played bad and the Jets played better. They deserved to win. They did what they needed to do: play better only for that day. Afterall, it is really that philosophy that got us as far as we got. It is not that we are more talented or morally superior. It has nothing to do with moral superiority.

All in all, it was a tremendous season filled with great moments just like 2008 when the Pats lost Brady and still went 11-5 with Cassel at the helm. We have a lot to be grateful for.

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

The Pats absolutely overachieved and the sooner some folks realize that the better.
    Look back to the beginning of the season.  NO ONE picked the Pats to do any thing.  They were pretty much picked from 10th to 16th.
    Everybody, on the other hand, picked the Jests.  Why?  Because on paper their rented roster was money.  A team of super stars!  (Yankees)
    Lets see, what did they accomplish?  Beat the Pats, whohoo, so did the Browns and their coach got fired.  LOL
    Did they have the best record in the NFL?  Nope, that was the Pats.
    Did they win the East?  Nope, Pats again.
    How about MVP and Coaching accolades?  None there either.
    Did they need help to get into the play offs?  Yup, sure did.
    So, what has the supposed projected best team in the NFL done?  Answer: Not much.
    What did the team nobody expected to do anything do?  A whole h ell of a lot.
    Too bad Jest fans aren't smart enough to know that unless they win the Super Bowl, they are a team of nothing but loud mouth UNDERACHIEVERS!
    I'm willing to bet they go nowhere.  History repeats and the underachievers lose again!  Watch and see!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from ma6dragon9. Show ma6dragon9's posts

Yes, as for preseason expectations, the Pats overachieved greatly.

The expectations going into the playoffs, however, are another story. Where the team was then, and how the game unfolded was a drastic underachievment.

In time, we should all be able to look back and see the positives in the season, but right now? We're 2 days removed, there hasn't been another NFL game anywhere since the Pats bowed out. It's far too early.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Cloudyandrain. Show Cloudyandrain's posts

You right that the Pats overacheived. I surprise that they are 14-2 while the defense has to be the worst defense in the NFL history. (look at the stats, it isn't pretty).

Anyway, next season, the defense and the offense  should be better than last year.

I hope Bill's choices are good enough to bring the Pats another SB.

Our goal is suppose to win a SB, not getting 1st bye or win another division.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from mthurl. Show mthurl's posts

The Pats absolutely overachieved and the sooner some folks realize that the better. Look back to the beginning of the season.  NO ONE picked the Pats to do any thing.  They were pretty much picked from 10th to 16th. Everybody, on the other hand, picked the Jests.  Why?  Because on paper their rented roster was money.  A team of super stars!  (Yankees) Lets see, what did they accomplish?  Beat the Pats, whohoo, so did the Browns and their coach got fired.  LOL Did they have the best record in the NFL?  Nope, that was the Pats. Did they win the East?  Nope, Pats again. How about MVP and Coaching accolades?  None there either. Did they need help to get into the play offs?  Yup, sure did. So, what has the supposed projected best team in the NFL done?  Answer: Not much. What did the team nobody expected to do anything do?  A whole h ell of a lot. Too bad Jest fans aren't smart enough to know that unless they win the Super Bowl, they are a team of nothing but loud mouth UNDERACHIEVERS! I'm willing to bet they go nowhere.  History repeats and the underachievers lose again!  Watch and see!
    Posted by pezz4pats

Listen, I hate the Jets and love the Pats, but what you're saying is we did something and the Jets didn't....uhm, you know something the rest of us don't. Was Sunday really just a bad dream and the game really hasn't been played yet and I'm still sleeping?

It doesn't matter what our regular season record was! It doesn't matter that we won THE DIVISION! ! THe Jets are going on and we are not. THe Jets won two playoff games and we haven't won one in three tries:( We have Tom Brady and Belichick! You think anything less than making the playoffs and winning a game or two is asking too much? They are the best at the most important spots on a professional football team.

Next you'll be saying they were stupid for spending all that money and being aggressive bringing guys in, because that stuff never works. THey punched us in the mouth all week and then crapped on our heads on Sunday. Yippee!! What an awesome season!! Maybe we can do it all over again next year?

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from pezz4pats. Show pezz4pats's posts

In Response to Re: We Overacheived, so lets be thankful for what we did! : Listen, I hate the Jets and love the Pats, but what you're saying is we did something and the Jets didn't....uhm, you know something the rest of us don't. Was Sunday really just a bad dream and the game really hasn't been played yet and I'm still sleeping? It doesn't matter what our regular season record was! It doesn't matter that we won THE DIVISION! ! THe Jets are going on and we are not. THe Jets won two playoff games and we haven't won one in three tries:( We have Tom Brady and Belichick! You think anything less than making the playoffs and winning a game or two is asking too much? They are the best at the most important spots on a professional football team. Next you'll be saying they were stupid for spending all that money and being aggressive bringing guys in, because that stuff never works. THey punched us in the mouth all week and then crapped on our heads on Sunday. Yippee!! What an awesome season!! Maybe we can do it all over again next year?
    Posted by mthurl

Sorry they broke your heart.  It hurt mine too, guess I can still see the good in it.
    Try being realistic, it helps!  Winning the SB is the prize but no one does it consistently.  It just takes one bad game and poof.  The Pats just had that game at the wrong time, unfortunately.
    You just need to look at the bigger picture, an amazing run and all the ammo to try again next year.  The Jest won't have that. Too many free agents, no draft pics and yes, they blew the wad on rented players who will want to be paid and wont be.  And, yes they won 2 Playoff games but so what, it means nothing unless they win the Super Bowl.  That remains to be seen.  And even if it does, which I doubt, that's 1 in 42 years.  See how tough it is?

19. This post has been removed.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

From a practical standpoint it's true, I guess . . .  but I think once you secure the #1 seed, your preseason expectations should be out the window. Are the Pats in good shape in terms of rebuilding the team into a perennial contender? Certainly, yes. Should we be concerned that the Pats have now gagged, badly, in the playoffs two years in a row -- once coming off a bye. Again, certainly, yes. Putting an optimistic spin on what we just saw is probably a good idea in the long run, but the truth of the matter is the Pats just let their biggest rival rank them to the dogs and back for a week, and then come in to their house and drag them up and down the field like Achilles did Hector.

I'm not sure I want the bad taste of that out of my mouth just yet.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from seattlepat70. Show seattlepat70's posts

Agree. Pats will win it all again if they get tougher on D and more of a pass rush. With the draft picks they have they should be able to either draft or trade for at least 1 very good pass rusher to fit their system.
    Posted by Brad34

they need to be tougher on both sides.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

From a practical standpoint it's true, I guess . . .  but I think once you secure the #1 seed, your preseason expectations should be out the window. Are the Pats in good shape in terms of rebuilding the team into a perennial contender? Certainly, yes. Should we be concerned that the Pats have now gagged, badly, in the playoffs two years in a row -- once coming off a bye. Again, certainly, yes. Putting an optimistic spin on what we just saw is probably a good idea in the long run, but the truth of the matter is the Pats just let their biggest rival rank them to the dogs and back for a week, and then come in to their house and drag them up and down the field like Achilles did Hector. I'm not sure I want the bad taste of that out of my mouth just yet.
    Posted by p-mike

Bingo!  Give this man the prize.

The Pats are a dynasty, they don't overachieve unless you mean going 16-0 instead of 12-4.  Letting the Jets talk smack all week, give you plenty of ammo pre-game then to let them physically manhandle you at home doesn't leave me with a "thankful" feeling.

I expected 12-4 and at least an AFC Championship appearance minimum, not to get bounced in our first playoff appearance this season, we won 11 games with Matt Cassall for cripes sakes.  Most of us had Super Bowl expectations for this team, we currently have the best collection of talent in the league, we should have won it all this season.  

We can add two #1 picks, two #2 picks, two #3 picks, the rest of the picks and even a few free agents; if we run the same soft, pass happy offense next season we'll get bounced just as quickly... incidentally I said the same thing after we got bounced from the playoffs last season. 

Sections
Shortcuts