Weaker 2011 draft?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from user_1264477. Show user_1264477's posts

Weaker 2011 draft?

If I were a college player and I knew there was a fair chance that there would be a big cut in pay for the players in the 2011 draft, I would probably come out early. 

2011 may be cheaper for the teams, but it may have less talent as well.......

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Re: Weaker 2011 draft?

that's true... but you have to be 3 years removed from high school to make the jump anyhow, so there will be a lot of good players who can't leave after this season in the '11 draft

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from carawaydj. Show carawaydj's posts

I think it's fair to say that 2010 will be a deep draft due to all of the juniors entering, and 2011 will suffer "some" because of that.  I think the 2011 quality will suffer most in the 1st round, because anyone good who could leave early did so in 2010.  It's still good that the pick we got from the Raiders was in 2011.  I can't imagine what the top picks will ask for next year with no cap in place.

We will have some real good quality with our 2nd round picks next year.  All those guys who come out of college early can't all fit in the 1st round.  I wonder just how many who can leave early, will?

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimc052886. Show Jimc052886's posts

The fact that 2011 draft class might be a weak draft class means nothing because we all know if BB and company find no value in the pick they received from the trade they will just trade down in the first round or even out of first round all together and pick up additional late round pick.... kind of like this years draft....

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

We will get one of the top 10 players in the 2011 draft, regardless of if it is a weak draft that is a VERY good player

We'll have a low 1st rd pick and 3 2nd rd picks in what should be a VERY deep 2010 draft.

So we win in both drafts. VERY exciting.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Say we get two 2nd rd picks worthy of being 1st rd picks in a deep 2010 draft, then in 2011 we get a top 10 player who would be worthy of a 1st rd pick in ANY draft, and maybe our low 1st rd pick that year is only a 2nd rd talent in a better draft

Still

that is FOUR 1st rd talents and THREE 2nd rd talents in back to back drafts... those are SEVEN players that should be expected be good. We should come out of the next two drafts with 2 stars, 2 contributors and 3 solid starters.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

So add those next 2 drafts to the projections of current young talent:

Stars: 2 picks, Mayo, Meriweather

Good starters: 3 picks, Chung, Butler, Brace

Solid contributors: 2 picks, Vollmer, Wilhite

and you've got 14 players drafted in the first two rounds of drafts '07-'11 and they are all between 22-26 years old. THAT is how you rebuild.

McKenzie, Tate, Crable, Wheatley, Ohrnberger, Pryor and Guyton could/should all contribute, as young later rd players in those drafts.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

If the 2011 pick becomes is in that 3-7 range and becomes a franchise RB or LT to replace Light/Faulk I will be dancing in the streets.

With the other 6 picks in the first two rounds of '10-'11 if the Pats fill the other one of those two positions with a long-term starter, get a great like TE, a pass rushing OLB and a future starter on both lines it will be amazing.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from Coolguy55220. Show Coolguy55220's posts

I dont necessariliy think it will be a weak draft.. I think there will easily be atleast 10 guys worth picking in round 1. I think the pay cut will only affect the guys that go in the 1st round because those guys demand insane amounts of money considering they are rookies. This is the reason why currently, rounds 2-4 are considered the best value in the draft today. The pay scale will be fixed which will have a major impact on the 1st rounders. So players that will be tempted to leave in 2010 will be 1st rounders, and as u know, most players that have a shot of being drafted in the draft end up leaving anyways, so i dont think the impact of this will be that great on the quality of players in 2011 top 20 picks..

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

So basically you are looking at, every year, about 10 juniors who know they'd go in the 20-40 range, coming back for their senior year and hoping to go top 20 and land much more $.

So this spring those 10 guys will come out. That will mean that the Patriots, with 2 picks between 25 and 40 and 2 picks between 50-60 will be looking at getting four VERY good players. Maybe 1 guy who would be a teen pick in past drafts then at the least two more guys as good as the three high 2nd rounders (Chung/Brace/Butler) we got this year.

Then maybe in 2011 the Patriots pick 1-10 pick will be like picking in the 5-20 range in years past? Still a VERY good player. Although there will be at least another 10 juniors, ineligible to come out in 2010, who might make the jump in 2011 b/c in a "weak draft" they are now top 20 picks, so why wait for a stronger draft in 2012 when the cash is now slotted the same?

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Like I said, a VERY strong '10 coupled with a top 10 pick in a weak '11 draft should mean the Pats 7 picks net them two stars, 3 starters and 2 more solid contributors.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from JohnHannahrulz. Show JohnHannahrulz's posts

Everytime the Pats have a high first, during the Belichick era, they draft great players (cf: Seymour and Mayo) to build the team. And yes a top ten pick gives the Pats flexablity in 2011 draft.

13. This post has been removed.

14. This post has been removed.

Sections
Shortcuts