Weakest Link. Pass Rush or Secondary?

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Weakest Link. Pass Rush or Secondary?

Heading into regular season games, it appears that our passing game remains the Patriots biggest strength.

Prior to this past draft, our pass rush was our #1 need. The loss of Warren didn't help that. Now with the loss of Bodden, what is the Patriots' biggest weakness at this point?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from bubthegrub2. Show bubthegrub2's posts

Re: Weakest Link. Pass Rush or Secondary?

I'd just say the defense overall. It seems strange saying this, but right now the LB corps looks like the strength of the D! For years the D line was one of (if not the) best in the NFL. Now that Seymoure is gone and Warren is out it's a different story. Wilfork is one of the best, but he needs guys on either side. This will either expose the young secondary...or make them step up in a big way. If the rush isn't there teams will go deep early and often on them. And even though the offense is looking it's best since the 07 season, we all saw that you need a good defense once winter comes. I'm hoping they can get some help after the cutdowns. They need some depth at DL. I think this secondary has the potential to be as good as the 03 team, but they need to bring it to the field. Bill has his work cut out for him. The Bungles with their two "jokers" (Batman and Robin indeed!) will be a good test. I'm more concerned about the front three myself. They need some consistency there if they want to get off the field on 3rd downs, and that seems to be their biggest weakness. Of course, you can't always judge by what you see in August!

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Offense is the biggest weakness.  Completely inconsistent last year, fizzling out in the second half, three turnovers in our own territory to open up against the Ravens, 4 punts to open against the Rams, only one TD against Falcons starters if Gostowski doesn't win best actor, no split end, a panzy and a bunch of old men at RB.

D will continue to do what it does every year.  Give up short and intermediate passes all game but keep the other team out of the endzone for most of the game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from ronf. Show ronf's posts

The Pass rush was and is the big problem! If you pressure the QB he'll force a pass and make a mistake. If you give him lots of time in the pocket then even all pro CBs don't look good. Pretty simple! The Bodden injury will not make that much difference. Perhaps it's biggest impact will be that the Patriot 1st rd draft pick will end up being a higher more valuable pick than the Raider's 1st rd pick the Pats now hold. This is year two in a three year plan by Belichick to rebuild the Patriots. Next years draft yields four very valuable picks. They'll get their big time pass rusher!

As for the Offense, it will be vastly improved compared to last year as the Pats now have two TOP FLIGHT additions in Gronkowski and Hernandez! These guys are the real deal. Vohlmer and Crumpler is a great blockers! The Pats will run the ball much this year.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Pancakespwn. Show Pancakespwn's posts

I would say the defense as a whole is a weak link.

Think about it.

D Line- Warren-Wilfork-Brace Above average because of Wilfork
    LBs- Cunningham-Mayo-Spikes/Guyton-TBC/Burgess Depending on Mayo average right now
    Corners- Darius-McCourty-Wilhite-Wheatley Average barley above average depends on Darius's growth.
    Safeties- B-Dub, Chung- Above average Chungs going to have his moments and then big low lights. 

Defense wise its going to be a bridge year probably top 10 D, some really great moments but then times where the D cant get off the field. Its going to be tough at times and some people will jump off the bandwagon but we will see true colors this year. Offense the team will be carried to 10-11 wins just by Brady and moss alone. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Tcal2. Show Tcal2's posts

Let's play a few real games first before we assess the team weaknesses

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from antibody. Show antibody's posts

Not to belabor the point but it definately starts with pressure on the QB. Given enough time even a fat old man like me could complete passes.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBCoach. Show DBCoach's posts

Belicheck lack of help from the Personal standpoint and no real coordinators is the pats weakness....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Yeah, got to go with pressure at the QB, which is the line (weaker this year) and the LBs. At least the DBs will be young, with fresher legs, and shoukld only get better as the season progresses.  But I guess you could say that about all the D positions with youth.

Like a wrote before, this is the second rebuilding year of three, maybe four.  This team will be stacked by 2012 or 2013 - even with F/A losses. Just got to be patient and enjoy this season's team for what it is - a work in progress (hence the Seymour trade).

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

In Response to Re: Weakest Link. Pass Rush or Secondary?:
    Let's play a few real games first before we assess the team weaknesses
    Posted by Tcal2

Now why would we employ a common sense approach like this when we can engage in a chicken-little exericise about how the lack of a pass-rush or the youth and inexperience of the secondary will bring about the demise of Western Civilization?  Come on, Tcal2, get with the program.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

In a way, you can think of A.T. as a "draft" pick since they traded picks for him, and he was a stud in 2007, might have been SB MVP if they had won, then got injured after a strong start to 2008, and only in 2009 soured with BB/Pats.  It looks like he was never really used to best effect. Time will tell based on waht he does with the Jets.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from freediro. Show freediro's posts

Belicheck lack of help from the Personal standpoint and no real coordinators is the pats weakness....
    Posted by DBCoach

Thank you! The offensive coordinator was garbage last year and he is there again this year. He better have learned something new or all the teams will be ready for our offense, jus like last year. I have to agree with some one other post above me, that our offensive, last year, had to many missed opportunities and costly turnovers.

At the same time, our lack of pass rush is infuriating to watch, especially then watching our secondary get burned on the same play just makes it sad. But who knows, season could start and the team could be clicking perfectly fine.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Posted by DBCoach

You may have hit the root of the problem. 

First, there is the obvious consequence of the brain-drain.

Second, you have a H.C. who is taking on more and more spinning plates each year. I am 46 and athletic, but I have only 3/4s the energy I had 10 years ago.  How old is BB?  How much extra has he taken upon his shoulders since joining the Pats 10 years ago?  Something has to give.  You have to wonder if he does not have the same patience in dealing with the talent that he once did.  It seems like too many of the players are not responding to him since the house-cleaning of last year. But I hope I am wrong. I am not a fly on the wall in Gillette, but I do know human nature from my sales and management experiences, and the clues I am seeing are not comforting. Then again, I am comparing very different worlds.  I never had the authority to order my clients or my subordinates to run laps. Maybe it is just all a consequence of the growing pains of a youth movement. 

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from NoMorePensionLooting. Show NoMorePensionLooting's posts

I'm actually liking what I am seeing on the offensive side of the ball. I believe our pass rush (or lack of) will be a sore spot. It will allow our young secondary to be exposed. I believe it will expose our belly as I am concerned about Mayo and Spikes in pass defense over the middle. But I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best!!

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Wow ever since the Giants Super Bowl this board has been nothing but pass rush envy.  I don't know what you all have been watching but most games the past few seasons we have put pressure on the QB only to see him get a quick release out for a completed pass.  That is a coverage issue, not a pass rush issue.  And maybe you should try watching other games because most teams do not pressure the QB any more than the Pats do.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

Oh and if you watched the Giants Super Bowl again you would notice that the Giants had excellent coverage most of the game.  Plenty of plays where Brady had time to throw but everyone was covered and he couldn't squeeze it in there or his throw was off.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from NOISE. Show NOISE's posts

It all starts on the line - so going to have say D-line.  Before even any games being played, right now on this roster, we know none of them require double teams...If you have a great Line/Pass rush then your secondary should be fine.  If you let QB's sit back there and wing it, the secondary could be in trouble too....

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

Constant changes in coordinators definitely hurts. I was kind of mad when Weiss and Crennel went to KC. I wouldn't have minded getting that formula back here.
    Posted by tompenny

Yeah, I felt that way, too.  But from their PsOV, it made much more sense - they both had to restore their reps independent of BB.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from dboss. Show dboss's posts

pats are still in the midst of rebuilding the defense.

Pass rush is defintely the weak link and will remain that way unless they do more blitzing.  Secondary could develop and be very good but we have never seen this young group play together.

A strong pass rush can offset a weak secondary and a strong secondary can offset a weak pass rush.

dboss

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from chrisakawoody. Show chrisakawoody's posts

I'm actually liking what I am seeing on the offensive side of the ball. I believe our pass rush (or lack of) will be a sore spot. It will allow our young secondary to be exposed. I believe it will expose our belly as I am concerned about Mayo and Spikes in pass defense over the middle. But I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best!!
    Posted by 183CLV

I generally agree with you, save for the OL. Playing w/o Mankins is going to be rough, and IF he comes in later, can we expect him to contribute? 

The Pats are supposed to have good RBs, but they have not really performed lately.  Is it them?  Or the OL? I think it is the line. (Though in Maroney's case - especially after he made his annual "It's my year" speech last month, I have given up al hope on him and hope he gets cut.  He is an under-performing, choking egomaniac who cannot keep his mouth shut when everybody else knows he should.)

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

Defensive schemes are built around the trenches. You first need to conttroll the line of scrimmage then you need to apply pressure on the ball and you do that by the pass rush, either by funneling the ball carrier to a tackler or by getting to the QB before he can find an open reciever. It is only when all that fails you need a secondary. (exceptions have to be made for top recievers and QB's as they will usually get their fair share of plays)
    My worry is the pass rush. But we will see.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from bluefox70. Show bluefox70's posts

The defense stinks! The Pats are a .500 team this year. Hopefully better in 2012

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Dessalines. Show Dessalines's posts

Its the pass rush that's the problem. 

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from BubbaInHawaii. Show BubbaInHawaii's posts

Offense is the biggest weakness.  Completely inconsistent last year, fizzling out in the second half, three turnovers in our own territory to open up against the Ravens, 4 punts to open against the Rams, only one TD against Falcons starters if Gostowski doesn't win best actor, no split end, a panzy and a bunch of old men at RB. D will continue to do what it does every year.  Give up short and intermediate passes all game but keep the other team out of the endzone for most of the game.
    Posted by themightypatriotz

That's true. We did have some difficulty with Red Zone Offense and Defense. With the revamping of the TE corp, I think that will open options in both the passing and rushing game - so, I'm not that concerned about offense for some reason :)

Since our pass rush  and secondary are now worse off (on paper) vs. last years team due to injuries and departures.....I think it's a tossup between the two.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from ewhite1065. Show ewhite1065's posts

In Response to Re: Weakest Link. Pass Rush or Secondary? : That's true. We did have some difficulty with Red Zone Offense and Defense. With the revamping of the TE corp, I think that will open options in both the passing and rushing game - so, I'm not that concerned about offense for some reason :) Since our pass rush  and secondary are now worse off (on paper) vs. last years team due to injuries and departures.....I think it's a tossup between the two.
    Posted by BubbaInHawaii

I choose to focus on Offense this year. The defense is going to be too depressing.
    I think the answer to your question is probably a coin toss depending on which play you watch. It's going to be a good year though. The offense is going to score tons.

Sections
Shortcuts