WEAKEST POSITON ON OFFENSE NOW IS CENTER - KONZ in round 1- GIVE BRADY MORE TIME to use his weapons

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

WEAKEST POSITON ON OFFENSE NOW IS CENTER - KONZ in round 1- GIVE BRADY MORE TIME to use his weapons

my draft approach is changed wiht all these additions.

i think the biggest weakness on offense i think now is center. if we give brady more time, he makes use of the weapons. this makes getting the best center in the draft top priority. so i make konz (considered a future 10 year pro bowl type center) #1 priority (or if scar likes someone as well or more than konz, go there).

a potential feature back in udfa

get 1 of still, brockers, reyes (or wolfe backup) in the other round 1 pick

round 2 safety or cb (whichever bb needs more- only he knows his plans for
    devin m) or guy who plays both.

round 2 other pick, one of the huge productive wrs
    (i want one of the huge receivers added in the 2nd as our outside receiver.
    you cant teach that size, speed, hands, body control, and some have good rout running already.)

slot wr (so many ww in teh making" to choose from in 3 or 4

defense in the other pick de/olb

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

Re: WEAKEST POSITON ON OFFENSE NOW IS CENTER - KONZ in round 1- GIVE BRADY MORE TIME to use his weapons

We have 1 running back with 90 something career carries and another unknown behind him.

What has happened to the NFL when this is no longer a position of need with these 2 guys as your starters?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

Re: WEAKEST POSITON ON OFFENSE NOW IS CENTER - KONZ in round 1- GIVE BRADY MORE TIME to use his weapons

In Response to Re: WEAKEST POSITON ON OFFENSE NOW IS CENTER - KONZ in round 1- GIVE BRADY MORE TIME to use his weapons:
    [QUOTE]We have 1 running back with 90 something career carries and another unknown behind him. What has happened to the NFL when this is no longer a position of need with these 2 guys as your starters?
    Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

i agree about he rb need, just behind center upgrade need. i would have wanted a moderate to low priced vet and an udfa. we will see. still some time, but not much left in fa.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from rameakap. Show rameakap's posts

Konz at 27

trade 31 for Webb and 48 for stewart

Wolfe at 63

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Ytsejamer1. Show Ytsejamer1's posts

I'm not sure I would spend a first round pick on a center.  While the position is important, Connolly was not the problem in the big games this past year.  It was that overpriced guard getting his lunchbox handed to him after every play...yet AGAIN.  Solder's inexperience caught up with him and the Vollmer's year was essentially lost.  He had no business being on that field. 

Connolly did very well in the SB game and showed he belongs right where he is.  We could use some depth there though...so I wouldn't be surprised if someone is picked up in the middle to late rounds.  Maybe Koppen will be that depth signing...with Connolly taking the reigns as the starter.  Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from BabeParilli. Show BabeParilli's posts

Yeah, let's draft a center high. It's not like the worst rated Pats' D in history needs any help.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

I'd take a good DL at 27, just too high for a O Lineman. 31 If I was going to use the pick then yeah.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from redsoxfan94. Show redsoxfan94's posts

In Response to Re: WEAKEST POSITON ON OFFENSE NOW IS CENTER - KONZ in round 1- GIVE BRADY MORE TIME to use his weapons:
    [QUOTE]Yeah, let's draft a center high. It's not like the worst rated Pats' D in history needs any help.
    Posted by BabeParilli[/QUOTE]

so you want brady planted on his butt every play? o-line is as important a position in football....espescially center. and this worst ever pats defense saved the can do no wrong pats offense on numerous occasions during these playoffs.....at some point the offense has to hold up their end of the bargain and they didnt....giants scored their lowest points of the whole playoffs against this so called worst pats defense.....

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

thanks for the thougtful replies
    philski i had still at 27 and konz at 31 recently.
    however now i say scar, pick the best center for us - and i get him.

10. This post has been removed.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from bredbru. Show bredbru's posts

[QUOTE]Go all out and get Richardson. Problem is our Wideouts and Tightends will tackle him, so they can get the ball.
    Posted by bobbysu[/QUOTE]

nice. and funny as @it
    (laughing)

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from moskk. Show moskk's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not sure I would spend a first round pick on a center.  While the position is important, Connolly was not the problem in the big games this past year.  It was that overpriced guard getting his lunchbox handed to him after every play...yet AGAIN.  Solder's inexperience caught up with him and the Vollmer's year was essentially lost.  He had no business being on that field.  Connolly did very well in the SB game and showed he belongs right where he is.  We could use some depth there though...so I wouldn't be surprised if someone is picked up in the middle to late rounds.  Maybe Koppen will be that depth signing...with Connolly taking the reigns as the starter.  Wouldn't surprise me in the least.
    Posted by Ytsejamer1[/QUOTE]

We learned last year that quality back-ups are an important component of a championship-caliber team. The lack of such key players cost us the SB....our secondary was short-handed and a one-legged Gronk was another. Ditto for the outside receiving corps.

There comes a time when even the most talented players find their skills eroding, re Branch, who couldn't gain separation in the most critical game of the year.  Yet we should sign Koppen, who already was considering retirement, whose full recovery from injury is uncertain...as a backup to Connelly?  Where is the wisdom in prolonging the inevitable especially when a "blue-chip" option could be available in the draft?

There seems to be a general consensus that the Pats need to improve their running game in order to remain dominant offensively.  The difference of opinion seems to be the REAL reason our running game is anemic. 

Mankins wasn't the same player last year (little did we know that he played with a torn ACL), Solder was getting his feet wet and prone to rookie mistakes yet surpassed expectations and Vollmer was beset with back issues.....and Connelly was adequate but far from dominant.  We lacked a strong forward thrust, especially against a stout defensive line.

Some believe that a great running back could do it alone but Larry psonka "isn't walking through that door"! Even average running backs can be effective when the holes are there. Now we have the opportunity to acquire A "ROAD-GRADER", a blue-chip center prospect that could anchor a potentially great OL and some prefer to WAIT?

BB has excelled because he makes the tough decisions to sacrifice immediate needs in order to insure future competitiveness.  We need youth at the Center position and we're lucky that a Konz could be available at #27.  No other defensive player has a comparable skill-set or the level of predictable success that Konz presently enjoys.

Our activity in FA has reduced some of our most pressing needs defensively and at the wr positions.  We have 4 draft picks in the first two rounds which provides us with the flexibility to select additional players or to trade down or into next year.  We still need to protect our most valuable asset...TB...and a blue-chip center would go a long way to achieving that goal.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsEng. Show PatsEng's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WEAKEST POSITON ON OFFENSE NOW IS CENTER - KONZ in round 1- GIVE BRADY MORE TIME to use his weapons : so you want brady planted on his butt every play? o-line is as important a position in football....espescially center. and this worst ever pats defense saved the can do no wrong pats offense on numerous occasions during these playoffs.....at some point the offense has to hold up their end of the bargain and they didnt....giants scored their lowest points of the whole playoffs against this so called worst pats defense.....
    Posted by redsoxfan94[/QUOTE]

The OL actually did a very good job last year and everyone is coming back. Connolly did a good job at C but gave up some pressure in the playoffs. One reason might be because Mankins needed assistance given his knee. The other being that Connolly also had minor injures through the year and never got into the flow at C. Given a full preseason and health this OL should come together and be at least as good if not better then it was last year.

No need to go crazy after a C. With Scar we have some liberties not to take one early but take a mid-late round C and groom him for a year or two down the road. I still think the best thing to do is to take a late C with high upside but very raw and groom him with Mallett. By then when Brady is ready to retire after this contract you have a QB/C duo that are on the same page and have been practicing together for years.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if BB takes Konz in the first I also wouldn't expect it. The way this off-season has gone so far I'm expected a heavy D draft (save for a WR or some later round depth on the OL)

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from BassFishing. Show BassFishing's posts

I highly doubt Konz is on their radar in the 1st rd. They just resigned Connolly, they apparently think they have a steal in Nick McDonald, who is a bigger Center.

Sorry, don't see it.

Upshaw, Dennard, Sanu with 1st 3 picks.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

sorry. I think that is clearly RB now. Unless you assume Ridley/Vereen are starters, which you cannot, then NE has a depth problem at least there. WR is addressed for now. NE at the very least needs to find someone who has played and started at RB to be sfe. In reality, they need to upgrade the poition entirely IMO, getting a star runner a la Corey Dillon. Being able to run at will is important, and NE hasn't been able to do that since 2004. 

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from Brawny27. Show Brawny27's posts

In response to "Re: WEAKEST POSITON ON OFFENSE NOW IS CENTER - KONZ in round 1- GIVE BRADY MORE TIME to use his weapons": [QUOTE]Konz at 27 trade 31 for Webb and 48 for stewart Wolfe at 63 Posted by rameakap[/QUOTE] Patriots need now to use our draft picks on defense!.get some young good defenders, sure up our defense, oh did I mention we need to beef up our defense????!!!

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from quinzpatsfan. Show quinzpatsfan's posts

i have to disagree that the Pats need to draft a center "in round 1"  The pats need Def talent.   Mike Reiss wrote a great article on the pats FA building stating that the Pats build their mid roster talent wise through FA and their top talent via the draft.

Let's look at the Pats top 11 players,  no order to this

Brady
    WW
    Grnk
    Hernz
    Mankins
    Waters (at least last year he was)
    Light
    Volmer (when healthy)

Wilfork
    Mayo
    CHung
     (didn't include mccourty cause he sucked last year, I hope he's in top 5 in 2012)

Not only are the Pats top heavy with thier top talent on Offense (no surprise here) but the O line is pretty well represented. 
    We need MORE top end talent on the DEF.  I feel like I'm stating the obvious here, no disrepsect to any else's POV. 

We have potential in McCourty and Dowling to be great.  We have a great LB corps, stongest part of the D in my opinion.  We don't have any DL with elite potential and only one true elite player (VW) in a position that a lot guys subbing in and out.  Didn't Bill Parcells say the games are won in lost in the trenches. 

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from DaBlade. Show DaBlade's posts

The last time I actually broke down the draftboard and who might be available to the Pats I had Devon Still or Michael Brockers as one of those two should be there and then I would move my 31 back to pick #37 (trade with Cleveland who has a bunch of picks and would likely be looking to move up into the late 1st Id take #37, 100 and one of Clevelands 6th round picks).

At 37 the Pats might still get Konz as he has been sliding a bit and the second best Center Ben Jones can be had at the end of round 2 or even in the third. If Konz isn't available there though I would take one of the many CB's that will be there and be happy with Jones if I had to go that way.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from ejb222. Show ejb222's posts

1. The jury is still out on the RBs. No need to waste a high pick on a RB with 2 second year players in the mix. In short, drafting a RB does not add any certainty to that position.

2. C should be on the draft list...but not in the first 2 rounds. Connely was good and will get better. He's not kciking the bucket any time soon...so we can take a little time here and address point 3

3. Draft defense in droves! I say try to hit the home run in the first round...but after that, swing away! Safties! DL! OLB! Gimme some options and hope someone stands out. There's got to be another Rodney Harrison and McGinest out there somewhere...better luck in numbers right?

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from PatsFanVA33. Show PatsFanVA33's posts

Ben Jones from Georgia in the 2nd or 3rd round is more likely and is a BB type of player, highly intelligent with 4 years of starting experience in the SEC.  He did not give up a sack his senior year!

21. This post has been removed.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from Philskiw1. Show Philskiw1's posts

thanks for the thougtful replies
    philski i had still at 27 and konz at 31 recently.
    however now i say scar, pick the best center for us - and i get him.

It wouldnt surprise me if we take Konz at 27 if he's still there. I was surprised when we took Mankins in the first. I sure hope we get some pass rushers. Last year we had a couple games where we actually had a pass rush. We looked unbeatable.

Still at 27 and Konz at 31 .. I'd be ok with that.

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from wozzy. Show wozzy's posts

I think O line is the deepest unit on our team, we could grab a late round center/guard combo player for Scar to groom and be fine.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from sporter81. Show sporter81's posts

I'm thinking defense in the draft, they have some young guys in place now and adding the right pieces could make this a very good defense. They signed connolly who IMO was an upgrade over Koppen, and this kid Mcdonald could be a surprise. 

BB's outstanding rebuilding job will be complete for this season, watch out NFL.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from quinzpatsfan. Show quinzpatsfan's posts

[QUOTE]1. The jury is still out on the RBs. No need to waste a high pick on a RB with 2 second year players in the mix. In short, drafting a RB does not add any certainty to that position. 2. C should be on the draft list...but not in the first 2 rounds. Connely was good and will get better. He's not kciking the bucket any time soon...so we can take a little time here and address point 3 3. Draft defense in droves! I say try to hit the home run in the first round...but after that, swing away! Safties! DL! OLB! Gimme some options and hope someone stands out. There's got to be another Rodney Harrison and McGinest out there somewhere...better luck in numbers right?
    Posted by ejb222[/QUOTE]

Amen brother!

Sections
Shortcuts