WEEI: MIke Shanahan was seen at Patriots Training Camp

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from kman2004. Show kman2004's posts

WEEI: MIke Shanahan was seen at Patriots Training Camp

Michael Holly was just discussing the possibility of what this could mean. He was speculating about him joining the offensive coaching staff in some fashion. Maybe the meating was nothing, but we all know he's one of the best offensive minds in the game.

As Holly was speculating, even if they could somehow get him to join the staff even as a consultant it could be huge help to the offense. Belicheck has said numerous times that of all the coaches in the league Shannon has given him fits over the years.

With McDaniels now gone, this could be a huge help offensively if he joined the Patriots. I have hard time imagining him wanting to go from head coach to offensive coordinator, when he could he get a job with about half of the teams in the league as head coach. Also, I'm sure he wouldn't come cheap either, even in a consultant type role.

Maybe, he just wants to get his toes wet and is getting the itch, but doesn't want a head coach position again just yet.

Opinions?

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

Re: WEEI: MIke Shanahan was seen at Patriots Training Camp

he is just visiting other clubs.he has already stopped at two other clubs before the pats.not saying he isnt a great coach,but in 2007 the pats offense put up stellar numbers without mike,and now brady is back this year.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

I'm not sure I could get behind Shanahan as a Pats assistant / consultant / whatever. It's true Denver has been the most consistent thorn in the Pats side  in recent memory -- but when I think of Denver, I think of crackbacks and cut blocks and would not like to see the Pats involved in any of that bush league bullsh*t.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Physics. Show Physics's posts

Hey, if he's on the Pats staff, that just means it is less likely someone else could be using his gameplans against us.

I would disagree with this move in part only because I have to assume he'll want to coach again. I don't like the idea of a solid coach having an intimate knowledge of the Patriots system for a one-year type thing.. Then again, perhaps that is all a bit overblown anyway... e.g., I have to figure there is so much tape now on most NFL offenses that it is really more about the game to game planning, not the brick and mortar wrinkles of the individual playbooks themselves..

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocher. Show rocher's posts

I'd take Shanahan in about 2 seconds. McD is gone. That's right..Brady is back..McD had no impact. McD coached up those great 2007 offensive #'s.
    Bill O'Brien hasn't proven anything yet as a playcaller/stategist.
    That's right..you still need coaches (particularly OC's / Ol coaches)..just because Brady is back doesn't mean all is okey dokey..no changey..at least not to me. Shanahan is a proven offensive mind..in the same category as Weis/McD..Andy Reid/Morningweg.

As far as Broncos dirty tactics...that's their OL coach's deal  who is not Shanny..it was Alex Gibbs, Rick Dennison. Neither would come with Shanny, Pats would not part with Scarneccia (as they shouldn't). Cut blocking is still legal though..crack blocks may have been modified this year. McD's OL will still be cut blocking this year because it is legal and effective.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from sportsbozo1. Show sportsbozo1's posts

He was an invited guest,Mike Reiss said he would be coming in for a day.There was no inference about any coaching possibilities.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from MVPkilla. Show MVPkilla's posts

Shanahan is smart and he realizes that this is a good oppertunity for him to learn from his fellow coaches. He could never come and pick Belichicks brain before because he was running his own camp but this yera he has the time off and he is useing it to make himself a better coach. He said in an interview last week after seeing the Steelers in camp that he likesthe 3-4 defense. So he might just be trying to teach himself some new tricks. Its a smart move. He is putting his ego aside so he can learn from the guys he has been admiring from a far for year and no one else does that. Its a very smart move and will help him better himself as a coach.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from mosseffect43. Show mosseffect43's posts

In Response to Re: WEEI: MIke Shanahan was seen at Patriots Training Camp:
    [QUOTE]I'd take Shanahan in about 2 seconds. McD is gone. That's right..Brady is back..McD had no impact. McD coached up those great 2007 offensive #'s. Bill O'Brien hasn't proven anything yet as a playcaller/stategist. That's right..you still need coaches (particularly OC's / Ol coaches)..just because Brady is back doesn't mean all is okey dokey..no changey..at least not to me. Shanahan is a proven offensive mind..in the same category as Weis/McD..Andy Reid/Morningweg. As far as Broncos dirty tactics...that's their OL coach's deal  who is not Shanny..it was Alex Gibbs, Rick Dennison. Neither would come with Shanny, Pats would not part with Scarneccia (as they shouldn't). Cut blocking is still legal though..crack blocks may have been modified this year. McD's OL will still be cut blocking this year because it is legal and effective.
    Posted by rocher[/QUOTE] so you dont think brady can go out,and read the coverages,or change a play on his own? I beleive he can.sure every team needs that coach in the booth to have a better veiw on whats going or OL coaches for the linemen,but brady knows the pats system better then shannahan,and i beleive he could run the offense without anyone.now if it was 10 yrs ago.it would be a diffrent story.plus shanahan isnt looking for an asst gig,but staying involved in football until next year where he will be coaching a team[cowboys]

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from underdogg. Show underdogg's posts

[QUOTE]I'm not sure I could get behind Shanahan as a Pats assistant / consultant / whatever. It's true Denver has been the most consistent thorn in the Pats side  in recent memory -- but when I think of Denver, I think of crackbacks and cut blocks and would not like to see the Pats involved in any of that bush league bullsh*t.
    Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

Yeah!! The pats prefer dirtiest player in the league guys and guys who like to poke out eyess!!  AARGH!

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from rpn123321. Show rpn123321's posts

I would love for him to be on the team, this guy knows how to make running backs into something special. All his teams churn out these top runners, then they go to other teams and loose a few notches. He is a very knowledgeable coach, atleast that's what my madden game says.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Blomie. Show Blomie's posts

BB brought Shanahan in to see if he can play OLB.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from rocher. Show rocher's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: WEEI: MIke Shanahan was seen at Patriots Training Camp : so you dont think brady can go out,and read the coverages,or change a play on his own? I beleive he can.sure every team needs that coach in the booth to have a better veiw on whats going or OL coaches for the linemen,but brady knows the pats system better then shannahan,and i beleive he could run the offense without anyone.now if it was 10 yrs ago.it would be a diffrent story.plus shanahan isnt looking for an asst gig,but staying involved in football until next year where he will be coaching a team[cowboys]
    Posted by mosseffect43[/QUOTE]

Of course Brady can do all that (read coverages/change plays), because that is a players job..not a coaches job. In order to change a play you have to be given a play. The coaches usually package them togther, Brady does not come up with them during the week. That is the coaches role. Also, this isn't 1960..the QB no longer calls all the plays. Game plans usually have 5-6 new runs..10-15 new pass plays..2-3 new protections every week. Brady does not come up with them.
    He just executes the plan. You sound a bit naive if you think good OC's are overrated even for quality QB's. Tom Moore for example. What you see on Sun is not all that goes on during the week and game day.