WEEK 11 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

WEEK 11 NFL PICKS and "Game of the Week"

Considering all the injuries and adversity that the 2013 Pats have dealt with over the first half (plus one game) of their season, it's amazing that this squad is setting pretty at 7-2. But, danger lurks ahead, in the form of a visit to play the Carolina Panthers, a home tilt against the dreaded Horseface, and a road game in Houston, to play the revenge minded Texans. Should the Pats win two of these three games, especially if one of these wins comes at the expense of the Horseface, odds are good of the Pats winning another AFC East title...and of earning a first round playoff bye. More than that, winning two of three as described will solidify the Pats as a legitimate SB contender.  But, doing so will be easier said than done. Here are my Week 11 picks, with the "Game of the Week" being:

1.) (9-0) Kansas City Chiefs (+8) @ (8-1) Denver Broncos: Can you ever remember a team that was undefeated so late in the season, be so disrespected? Really, an eight (8) point underdog? Talk about a slap in the face...watch for the Chiefs, coming off their bye week, to roll up the Horseface and his wounded ankle in this one: PICK: Chiefs;

2.) (6-3) Indianapolis Colts @ (4-5) Tennessee Titans (+3): Tennessee was embarrassed by the lowly Jacksonville Jaguars at home last week. The Colts were embarrassed by the mediocre St. Louis Rams last week in Indy. This is a huge game for both teams. With a win, the Titans can pull within a game of the first place Colts in the AFC South. With a win, Indy gains a stranglehold on their division, and remain in the running for a possible playoff bye. In a very tough game to call: PICK: Titans;

3.) (2-7) Atlanta Falcons (PK) @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1-8): Doesn't it seem that Atlanta has quit on the season? The team seemingly has lost interest, and is just going through the motions. Though Tampa Bay is awful, they'll likely be more enthusiatic, after having won their first game of the season against the scandal ridden Dolphins: PICK: Buccaneers;

4.) (5-4) NY Jets (+1.5) @ (3-7) Buffalo Bills: Buffalo flubbed away a win against the unbeaten Chiefs two weeks ago...and than got beaten up by the Steelers in Pittsburgh last week. The up and down Jets are coming off their bye week, and then were rolled by an angry bunch of Goths, in Pittsburgh. Furthermore, they were beaten earlier in the year by the Jets in Gotham, 27-20. With the Patriots going through their toughest stretch of the season over the next few weeks, a win in Buffalo could put the Jets in hailing distance of the AFC East lead. This is a win that they must have. Nonetheless: PICK: Bills;

5.) (6-3) Detroit Lions @ (3-6) Pittsburgh Steelers (+2): Though these are not the Steelers of yester-year, they are still a franchise driven by toughness and pride. With the AFC North in shambles, and led by the 6-4 Bengals, the Steelers still have time to make a run.  As for the Lions, I look for them to suffer a bit of a let down after a huge win in Chicago: PICK: Steelers;

6.) (3-6) Washington Redskins (+3.5) @ (5-5) Philadelphia Eagles: Who knows what to expect from any NFC East team now, from week to week. What we can expect is for the Redskins' defense to continue to be terrible: PICK: Eagles;

7.) (4-5) San Diego Chargers @ (4-5) Miami Dolphins (+1): The wheels were beginning to fall off of the Dolphins' band wagon, even before the Johnathan Martin mess became public. Are y'all as tired of hearing about poor Johnathan being "bullied" as I am?: PICK: Chargers;

8.) (4-5) Baltimore Ravens (+3) @ (5-4) Chicago Bears: The Ravens are a different team whenever they play away from that zoo, in Buzzardsville. The Bears might be a better team with Josh McCown at QB, than the erratic Jay Cutler: PICK: Bears;

9.) (4-5) Cleveland Browns (+5.5) @ (6-4) Cincinnati Bengals: The Bengals lost to the Browns in Week 4 at Cleveland, 17-6. But at that time, Brian Hoyer was quarterbacking the Browns, leading them towards contention in the AFC North. Strangely enough, two QBs later, the Browns still find themselves in contention, thanks in large part to a pair of OT losses by the first place Bengals. Speaking of, it wasn't that long ago when the Bengals were referred to as the Bungles. They are apparently returning to their bungling ways, as two gutless decisions by head coach Marvin Lewis to pass up lengthy FGs by top flight kicker Mike Nugent (a 56 yarder in Miami, and a 50 yarder in Baltimore), may have cost them wins. That aside, who has more talent in the AFC North than Cincinnati? One has to wonder why Lewis isn't getting more out of the talent that he has: PICK: Bengals;

10.) (3-6) Oakland Raiders (+7) @ (2-7) Houston Texans: The Texans have lost their last three games by a total of seven (7) points. The Raiders look hopeless. This is another of those "who knows" type games...with two young QBs, Terrelle Pryor for Oakland, and Case Keenum for the Texans, struggling to earn a foothold on the starting QB job for their respective teams. Really, should either of these teams be made 7 point favorites?: PICK: Raiders;

11.) (5-4) Arizona Cardinals @ (1-8) Jacksonville Jaguars (+6.5): Despite having defied all odds by winning a game this season, the Jags are still awful. This should be a lay-up for the Cards, who still have playoff hopes: PICK: Arizona;

12.) (2-7) Minnesota Vikings (+13.5) @ (9-1) Seattle Seahawks: Ordinarily, I'd jump at a 13.5 point spread. But, with their bye week approaching and a tough five game stretch of games still ahead, the 'Hawks aren't about to gag on this one: PICK: Seahawks; 

13.) (6-3) San Francisco 49ers (+3) @ (7-2) New Orleans Saints: Just a bevy of great match-ups this week. After a tough loss at home to Carolina, the 49ers risk falling out of the play-offs altogether with a loss. The Saints are a much better team at their dome sweet dome, than on the road: PICK: Saints;

14.) (5-4) Green Bay Packers (+6.5) @ (3-6) NY Giants: How the tables are turning for these two teams! The Rodgers-less Packers squaring off against the improving Giants. Don't look now, but the Giants could yet steal the NFC East crown: PICK: Giants;   

15.) (7-2) New England Patriots (+2.5) @ (6-3) Carolina Panthers: Huge game for the Patriots on Monday Night Football! Talk about tough match-ups coming off the bye week. Believe it or not folks, the Carolina Panthers have evolved into one of the top five teams in the NFL. Worse yet, they are the type of team that matches up very well against the Patriots. They are physical, have a first rate rushing attack, and a mobile, athletic QB in Cam Newton. They are currently second in the league in run defense, and 5th in the league in pass defense. Their front seven is one of the game's finest, led by MLB "Crazy" Luke Kueckley. Kueckley is a Jerod Mayo-like tackling machine, who is also outstanding in pass coverage. DTs Star Lotulelei, Dwan Edwards, and Kawaan Short are a trio of big, tough, nasty hombres who will rotate on the inside of their front four. DEs Greg Hardy (6 sacks) and Charles Johnson (8.5 sacks) apply the heat on passing downs. Currently. What this means is that the Patriots will be hard pressed to establish a running game. Look for Tom Brady to try to spread the field, and try to take advantage of the least talented aspect of the Carolina defense...their secondary. On offense, the Panthers have a trio of tough, hard running backs in DeAngelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart, and Mike Tolbert. You may recall that Tolbert did a ton of damage against the Patriots as a Charger, just a few years ago in Foxborough...as both a runner and receiver. Veteran WR Steve Smith must be accounted for. The Pats must get off to a good start in this game, and score regularly and early. They must not get bogged down in a low scoring game, where Carolina's superior physicality will take over the game in the second half...as was the case this season in the Patriots' two losses to the Bengals and Jets. BB and Tom Brady certainly have their work cut out for them in this one. But, coming off their bye week, somehow, someway: PICK: Patriots.

BEST BETS: Chiefs, Seahawks, and Bears. 

As always, your comments, predictions, and thoughts about all the games, particularly the Patriot game, are welcome. 

Goodnight, my friends. Have a great week! 

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from darwk. Show darwk's posts

Re: WEEK 11 NFL PICKS and

Tex- Week 11 does have some outstanding match ups. Really expect the unexpected.  The Pats game with the Panthers is the toughest to predict for me. I think the D will struggle more than the O. But if the OL breaks down- then we are in for a long game. Please no more injuries. Panthers D has the talent and blueprint that could hurt the Pats in many ways.

Are you keping a  season tally of your picks? How are you doing?

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from neinmd. Show neinmd's posts

The Bucs have got to be one of the best 1-8 teams I have seen in a while. They have lost 4 of these games in the last minute. This team is getting closer to being a pretty good team and I think Schiano survives.

Tough to pick Bengals over the Browns with a 5.5 point headwind. I would go with the Browns to cover.

It would be great to see the Bills win but hard to believe. The Jets have a legit defense, and will likely score enough to win and stay in the hunt for a wild card spot.

Also hard to see the Steelers beating the Lions. The Lions have a world-class receiver and the Steelers have a pitiful pass defense. Spells disaster.

If the Packers lose to the Giants, their post-season hopes might take a beating as well. I do think they cover though.

Tough match-up for the Pats. Have to keep Newton in the box and force him to become a pocket passer. Williams might have a big day against us though. Still think the good guys win in a close but hopefully high-scoring game. I agree with your analysis of this game.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Joy reigns at the University of Beating Vegas like a Drum, with Houston losing to Arizona by, how opportune for this to arrive a week after the appropriate research, read last week’s post if you haven’t already, by 3 points when the Vegas line said 2 points.  Here comes the UBVD band marching down University Blvd. in their BVDs!  They’re pounding out the school fight song, “Wipeout,” by the Surfaris.  And now, here comes the Odds Queen down the street on her float.

My Game of the Week season record inches a bit higher to a lofty 8-1, a perch that looks down upon the New England Patriots with their lowly 7-2 record. 

Denver has dropped out of its #1 rank this week.  Denver leaving mediocre San Diego within one score of tying the game isn’t confidence-building.  On the other hand, Carolina played a super-tough away game against San Francisco, and this victory came after the Niners’ bye week.  Seattle was awesome, albeit against a forgettable team.

New England is about to play #1 and #3.  Please remember that New England’s recent habit of picking up experienced players in midseason such as Vereen, Gronk, Amendola, Soap and Talib isn’t particularly reflected in these raw numbers.  Nor is an expected boost from the bye week.  New England picked up three slots only because Cincinnati, Detroit and Indianapolis stepped backwards.  I’m declaring my point spread numbers on New England (heading up) and on Green Bay (heading in the opposite direction) to be completely untrustworthy.

1   car   14.8   (last wk. 4)

2   sea   14.1   (last wk. 5)

3   den   13.7   (last wk. 1)

4   sf   12.4   (last wk. 2)

5   no   12.3   (last wk. 7)

6   kc   10.8   (last wk. 6)

7   gb   10.7   (last wk. 3)

8   dal   9.7   (last wk. 9)

9   ne   9.6   (last wk. 12)

10   cin   9.4   (last wk. 10)

11   det   9.0   (last wk. 11)

12   oak   8.4   (last wk. 13)

13   az   8.2   (last wk. 15)

14   ind   8.1   (last wk. 8)

15   stl   8.1   (last wk. 26)

16   sd   7.8   (last wk. 16)

17   hou   7.3   (last wk. 21)

18   bal   7.2   (last wk. 18)

19   cle   7.1   (last wk. 17)

20   chi   7.0   (last wk. 19)

21   ten   6.9   (last wk. 14)

22   phi   6.2   (last wk. 31)

23   mia   5.7   (last wk. 20)

24   pit   5.6   (last wk. 28)

25   nyg   5.5   (last wk. 27)

26   nyj   5.5   (last wk. 24)

27   tb   5.2   (last wk. 30)

28   buf   5.1   (last wk. 23)

29   atl   4.9   (last wk. 25)

30   was   4.6   (last wk. 22)

31   min   4.5   (last wk. 29)

32   jac   0.7   (last wk. 32)

My own point spreads for week 11:

Visitor / Home / My points / The Gambling Public’s Opinion / Difference

ind   ten    1.1   -3   4.1

oak   hou    2.4   6   -3.6

az   jac    -3.9   -6.5   2.6

atl   tb    1.3   -1   2.3

det   pit    1.1   -1.5   2.6

was   phi    -1.0   3.5   -4.5

sd   mia    2.0   1.5   0.5

cle   cin    0.1   5.5   -5.4

bal   chi    6.2   3   3.2

nyj   buf    -2.3   1   -3.3

kc   den    2.9   7.5   -4.6

min   sea    20.3   13   7.3

sf   no    8.0   3   5.0

gb   nyg    -2.1   6.5   -8.6

ne   car    6.2   2.5   3.7

Time to put 8 and 1 (with one no-call week) on the line.  Seattle came out of Atlanta reasonably healthy, and Seattle is one tough home field.  Dome-team Minnesota at 2 and 7  is starting to suffer from no-playoffs shock.  That’s where the team faces reality.  Teams start playing like collections of individual players who each want jobs next year.  Individual statistics become important to them.  Yes, #31 Minnesota can beat #30 Washington at home in a dome, but what does that prove?  So, Seattle over all those points, crushing whats their names, is my Week 11 Game of the Week.

min   sea    20.3   13   7.3

Other Picks:

New Orleans is promoted to a pick because San Francisco took too many concussions last week. 

sf   no    8.0   3   5.0

I like divisional rival underdogs who have an honest chance at winning the division outright.  Also, nobody gambles on Cleveland these days.  I’m promoting them to a pick against those points.

cle   cin    0.1   5.5   -5.4

Undefeated team, a split could earn KC a division title and Peyton Manning is having a secret MRI done on his (ankle, knee, you tell me).  Another promotion.

kc   den    2.9   7.5   -4.6

Leaners:

Washington is healthy more or less.  Anyone can beat Green Bay’s third QB, and Philly’s defense looked positively awful at Oakland.  Worth about half a shot.

was   phi    -1.0   3.5   -4.5

Non-calls:

Jake Locker is hurt, so let’s demote this to a no-call for now.  Maybe he'll get better, maybe not.

ind   ten    1.1   -3   4.1

Green Bay is a big scratch, no known quarterback.  New England is a scratch in the other direction because the team keeps improving so quickly -- Gronk, Vereen, Amendola, Talib, Soap, seven or eight improving rookies.  Sorry, but I can’t call these two teams accurately.  I expect a tight game in Carolina.

Worst headline in a long time:  "Moral Victory Precedes Dolphins Loss."  I really hope that someone got fired last night in Miami's moral victory.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat. Show TexasPat's posts

In response to neinmd's comment:

The Bucs have got to be one of the best 1-8 teams I have seen in a while. They have lost 4 of these games in the last minute. This team is getting closer to being a pretty good team and I think Schiano survives.

RESPONSE: Schiano has 7 games left to make his case. If he goes 4-3 over those 7, starting with a win this week over Atlanta, he likely stays. Finish  3-4, and he's on the ledge. Less than that...he's probably gone.

Tough to pick Bengals over the Browns with a 5.5 point headwind. I would go with the Browns to cover.

RESPONSE: Bengals are due to explode, after dropping two straight in OT. There's no excuse for mediocrity with this team...as they have so much talent. Replace QB Andy Dalton and coach Marvin Lewis with Tom Brady and BB, and they'd likely have a championship team.

It would be great to see the Bills win but hard to believe. The Jets have a legit defense, and will likely score enough to win and stay in the hunt for a wild card spot.

RESPONSE: I don't see the Bills winning as so hard to believe. The Jets aren't that good...and the Bills play everyone tough at home.

Also hard to see the Steelers beating the Lions. The Lions have a world-class receiver and the Steelers have a pitiful pass defense. Spells disaster.

RESPONSE: The Lions are one of those teams that can't stand success. They have yet to learn how to win. Though the Steelers aren't what they once were, they still know how to win.

If the Packers lose to the Giants, their post-season hopes might take a beating as well. I do think they cover though.

RESPONSE: They may cover...but they shouldn't. The Giants caught a huge break when Rodgers went down...and are playing better now. Don't look now, but they're only two (2) games out of first place in the weak NFC East.  

Tough match-up for the Pats. Have to keep Newton in the box and force him to become a pocket passer. Williams might have a big day against us though. Still think the good guys win in a close but hopefully high-scoring game. I agree with your analysis of this game.

RESPONSE: Hope that my heart isn't interfering with my head in picking the Pats. But, taking on BB and Brady coming off a bye week is a tough task for any team to handle...particularly one coming off a highly emotional, physical game. This match-up will be a "measuring stick" game for both teams.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

In response to neinmd's comment:

RESPONSE: Schiano has 7 games left to make his case. If he goes 4-3 over those 7, starting with a win this week over Atlanta, he likely stays. Finish  3-4, and he's on the ledge. Less than that...he's probably gone.

He's so gone!

RESPONSE: Bengals are due to explode, after dropping two straight in OT. There's no excuse for mediocrity with this team...as they have so much talent. Replace QB Andy Dalton and coach Marvin Lewis with Tom Brady and BB, and they'd likely have a championship team.

Browns are half-exploding.  They might not win, tho.  Add TB and BB to the Browns and they'd be a playoff team at least.

RESPONSE: I don't see the Bills winning as so hard to believe. The Jets aren't that good...and the Bills play everyone tough at home.

Some credit for E.J. Manuel stepping back onto the field.  The Jets only want to beat really good teams.  However, my numbers lean toward the Jets a bit.  Also, Buffalo is realizing that their season is dead, and New York hasn't realized this yet (but theirs is dead too).  The Jets always run out of gas about now, and they're way below an average team right now.  I've given them great grades in previous years.

RESPONSE: The Lions are one of those teams that can't stand success. They have yet to learn how to win. Though the Steelers aren't what they once were, they still know how to win.

OK.  Pitts did such a good job with Buffalo, and losing to suddenly hot New England is no crime.

RESPONSE: They may cover...but they shouldn't. The Giants caught a huge break when Rodgers went down...and are playing better now. Don't look now, but they're only two (2) games out of first place in the weak NFC East.  

The Giants are no good and won't make the NFC East championship but the Packers really don't have a quarterback.  Wild guesses?

RESPONSE: Hope that my heart isn't interfering with my head in picking the Pats. But, taking on BB and Brady coming off a bye week is a tough task for any team to handle...particularly one coming off a highly emotional, physical game. This match-up will be a "measuring stick" game for both teams.

Heart says that Vereen and Talib make the difference.  The Gronk/Amendola 55 point performance gets trimmed to about 20 points, but Carolina can't put up 20. 

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from 42AND46. Show 42AND46's posts

In response to TexasPat's comment:

Considering all the injuries and adversity that the 2013 Pats have dealt with over the first half (plus one) of their season, it's amazing that this squad is setting pretty at 7-2. But, danger lurks ahead, in the form of a visit to play the Carolina Panthers, a home tilt against the dreaded Horseface, and a road game in Houston, to play the revenge minded Texans. Should the Pats win  two of these three, especially if one of these wins comes at the expense of the Horseface), odds are good of the Pats winning another AFC East title, and will earn a first round playoff bye. More than that, winning two of three as described will solidify the Pats as a legitimate SB contender.  But, doing so will be easier said than done. Here are my Week 11 picks, with the "Game of the Week" being played next Monday, when the following teams match up:

1.) (9-0) Kansas City Chiefs (+8) @ (8-1) Denver Broncos: Can you ever remember a team that was undefeated so late in the season, be so disrespected? Really, an eight (8) point underdog? Talk about a slap in the face...watch for the Chiefs, coming off their bye week, to roll up the Horseface and his wounded ankle in this one: PICK: Chiefs;

2.) (6-3) Indianapolis Colts @ (4-5) Tennessee Titans (+3): Tennessee was embarrassed by the lowly Jacksonville Jaguars at home last week. The Colts were embarrassed by the mediocre St. Louis Rams last week in Indy. This is a huge game for both teams. With a win, the Titans can pull within a game of the first place Colts in the AFC South. With a win, Indy gains a stranglehold on their division, and remain in the running for a possible playoff bye. In a very tough game to call: PICK: Titans;

3.) (2-7) Atlanta Falcons (PK) @ Tampa Bay Buccaneers (1-8): Doesn't it seem that Atlanta has quit on the season? The team seemingly has lost interest, and is just going through the motions. Though Tampa Bay is awful, they'll likely be more enthusiatic, after having won their first game of the season against the scandal ridden Dolphins: PICK: Buccaneers;

4.) (5-4) NY Jets (+1.5) @ (3-7) Buffalo Bills: Buffalo flubbed away a win against the unbeaten Chiefs two weeks ago...and than got beaten up by the Steelers in Pittsburgh last week. The up and down Jets are coming off their bye week...and beat the Bills earlier in the year in NY, 27-20. With the Patriots going through their toughest stretch of the season over the next few weeks, a win in Buffalo could put the Jets in hailing distance of the AFC East lead. This is a win that they must have: PICK: Bills;

5.) (6-3) Detroit Lions @ (3-6) Pittsburgh Steelers (+2): Though these are not the Steelers of yester-year, they are still a franchise driven by toughness and pride. With the AFC North basically in shambles, led by the 6-4 Bengals, the Steelers still have time to make a run.  As for the Lions, I llok for them to suffer a bit of a let down after a huge win in Chicago: PICK: Steelers;

6.) (3-6) Washington Redskins (+3.5) @ (5-5) Philadelphia Eagles: Who knows what to expect from any NFC East team now, from week to week. What we can expect is for the Redskins' defense to continue to be terrible: PICK: Eagles;

7.) (4-5) San Diego Chargers @ (4-5) Miami Dolphins (+1): The wheels were beginning to fall off of the Dolphins' band wagon, even before the Johnathan Martin mess became public. Are y'all as tired of hearing about poor Johnathan being "bullied" as I am?: PICK: Chargers;

8.) (4-5) Baltimore Ravens (+3) @ (5-4) Chicago Bears: The Ravens are a different team whenever they play away from that zoo, in Buzzardsville. The Bears might be a better team with Josh McCown at QB, than the erratic Jay Cutler: PICK: Bears;

9.) (4-5) Cleveland Browns (+5.5) @ (6-4) Cincinnati Bengals: The Bengals lost to the Browns in Week 4 at Cleveland, 17-6. But at that time, Brian Hoyer was quarterbacking the Browns, leading them towards contention in the AFC North. Strangely enough, two QBs later, the Browns still find themselves in contention...thanks to a pair of OT losses by the first place Bengals. Speaking of, it wasn't that long ago that the Bengals were referred to as the Bungles. They are apparently returning to their bungling ways, as two gutless decisions by head coach Marvin Lewis to pass up lengthy FGs by top flight kicker Mike Nugent (a 56 yarder in Miami, and a 50 yarder in Baltimore), may have cost them wins. That aside, who has more talent in the AFC North than the Bengals? One has to wonder why Lewis isn't getting more out of the talent that he has: PICK: Bengals;

10.) (3-6) Oakland Raiders (+7) @ (2-7) Houston Texans: The Texans have lost their last three games by a total of seven (7) points. The Raiders look hopeless. This is another of those "who knows" type games...with two young QBsm Terrelle Pryor for Oakland, and Case Keenum for the Texans, struggling to earn a foothold on the starting QB job for their respective teams. Really, should either of these teams be made 7 point favorites?: PICK: Raiders;

11.) (5-4) Arizona Cardinals @ (1-8) Jacksonville Jaguars (+6.5): Despite having defied all odds by winning a game this season, the Jags are still awful. This should be a lay-up for the Cards...who still have playoff hopes: PICK: Arizona;

12.) (2-7) Minnesota Vikings (+13.5) @ (9-1) Seattle Seahawks: Ordinarily, I'd jump at a 13.5 point spread. But, with their bye week approaching and a tough five game stretch of games still ahead, the 'Hawks aren't about to gag on this one: PICK: Seahawks; 

13.) (6-3) San Francisco 49ers (+3) @ (7-2) New Orleans Saints: Just a bevy of great match-ups this week. After a tough loss at home to Carolina, the 49ers risk falling out of the play-offs altogether with a loss. The Saints are a much better team at their dome sweet dome, than on the road: PICK: Saints;

14.) (5-4) Green Bay Packers (+6.5) @ (3-6) NY Giants: How the tables are turning for these two teams! The Rodgers-less Packers squaring off against the improving Giants. Don't look now, but the Giants could yet steal the NFC East crown: PICK: Giants;   

15.) (7-2) New England Patriots (+2.5) @ (6-3) Carolina Panthers: Huge game for the Patriots on Monday Night Football! Talk about tough match-ups coming off the bye week. Believe it or not folks, the Carolina Panthers have evolved into one of the top five teams in the NFL. Worse yet, they are the type of team that matches up very well against the Patriots. They are physical, have a first rate rushing attack, and a mobile, athletic QB in Cam Newton. They are currently second in the league in run defense, and 5th in the league in pass defense. Their front seven is one of the game's finest, led by MLB "Crazy" Luke Kueckley. Kueckley is a Jerod Mayo-like tackling machine, who is also outstanding in pass coverage. DTs Star Lotulelei, Dwan Edwards, and Kawaan Short are a trio of big, tough, nasty hombres who will rotate on the inside of their front four. DEs Greg Hardy (6 sacks) and Charles Johnson (8.5 sacks) apply the heat on passing downs. Currently. What this means is that the Patriots will be hard pressed to establish a running game. Look for Tom Brady to try to spread the field, and try to take advantage of the least talented aspect of the Carolina defense...their secondary. On offense, the Panthers have a trio of tough, hard running backs in DeAngelo Williams, Jonathan Stewart, and Mike Tolbert. You may recall that Tolbert did a ton of damage against the Patriots as a Charger, just a few years ago in Foxborough...as both a runner and receiver. Veteran WR Steve Smith must be accounted for. The Pats must get off to a good start in this game, and score regularly and early. They must not get bogged down in a low scoring game, where Carolina's superior physicality will take over the game in the second half...as was the case this season in the Patriots' two losses to the Bengals and Jets. BB and Tom Brady certainly have their work cut out for them in this one. But, coming off their bye week, somehow, someway: PICK: Patriots.

BEST BETS: Chiefs, Seahawks, and Bears. 

As always, your comments, predictions, and thoughts about all the games, particularly the Patriot game, are welcome. 

Goodnight, my friends. Have a great week! 

great and thorough breakdown as usual TP

Sections
Shortcuts