Week 13 NFL Picks, and "Game of the Week"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Re: Week 13 NFL Picks, and "Game of the Week"

So you think the Jets win this game by 3 points or more, eh?

Duly noted.

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from justme2. Show justme2's posts

UUMM let me make sure I get this right.. The jets win... because.... The... Patriots... owe homage to the "Stat Gods" ???? Do I have that right??

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from themightypatriotz. Show themightypatriotz's posts

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Before I read his post I knew he'd pick the Jets.  He only has picked the Pats against Detroit, I think. lol

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from Evil2010. Show Evil2010's posts

Thanks Pat. I always feel better when you pick the Pats to lose.

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

In Response to Re: Week 13 NFL Picks, and "Game of the Week":
    [QUOTE]So you think the Jets win this game by 3 points or more, eh? Duly noted.
    Posted by BBReigns[/QUOTE]

He's guessing Pats shall win by 3 or less; otherwise Jets win.

I'm either amazed you can't follow a point spread, or you're just looking to troll; the only other possibility is you made a mistake, which, to some degree, is a combination of both.

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Yeah, I worded it wrong.   . No offense, but his troll work is pretty comical.

BY the way, who are you kidding trolling here as a Giants fan, too? You have an awfully big mouth to be trolling here as a New Englander and a Giants fan. And a Yankees fan.

Pathetic.

Are you Adam Sandler?

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

While I would never expect an individaul who makes his living claiming otherwise to admit it, statistics lie all the time . . .   and worse than that, people who present statistics are notorious liars. Pick a number, any number . . .   so long as it's a number that supports your predetermined conclusion. And if there is no such number . . .   why . . .   simply create one. Quarterback rating, anyone? Does anyone here, without the assistance of Google, have any idea where that number comes from . . .   or how it purports to measure whatever it claims to measure?

I don't.

I know Tavaris Jackson amassed a rating near one hundred the last time he had significant playing time.

So yeah . . .   statistics lie.

Don't kid yourself about that.

What a team does or doesn't do against entirely different opposition has absolutely no bearing on what it may or may not do against you.

None.

Football is all about individual match-ups, identifying weaknesses and taking advantage of them. That comes down to coaching, and I'll put my money on Belichick in that game. Both teams have had a mini-bye week here, which should be helpful in getting both teams as healthy and well prepared as they're likely to be this time of year. But if you insist on using history as a guide, I might point out that after their actual bye weeks this season, the Pats outlasted a staunch Ravens team in overtime while the Jests went all Beavis (No matter what you do, you'll never score) against an undermanned Packers squad.

Look, if you believe the Green New Jersey hype, that's all well and good. This is a very good week to take the "I expect the Pats to lose so I can be right, but will be perfectly happy to be wrong" position. I expect the Pats to win primarily because they are at home, where Tom Brady does not lose. The Pats' offense has been explosive of late, while Sanchize and the Jests have been escaping by a whisker and a wish against middling opposition. Brady is an old hand at pressure situations and Mark Sanchez . . .  isn't.

There's absolutely no way Green New Jersey wins this game.

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from BelichickDisciple. Show BelichickDisciple's posts

Pat;

I think Pats D can handle the Jets O. The Pats are good against the run, and while the bend don't break pass D can be unsettling, they have been forcing multiple turnovers from better QBs than Sanchez. Sanchez certainly can keep his composure (all those heartstopping last second wins), but I am not sold on him being an elite QB yet.

Pats special teams might have an edge over the Jets, but its close. I think the Jets are a little down on their kicker, and of course we are still seeing what our new guy can do...

It will come down to Pats O vs. Jets D. The Jets corners are pretty great, so I expect a lot of tight end and slot passing, and an emphasis on the run to preserve play action pass options. The Jets are sure to focus attention on Welker, but if this happens (if Revis covers him for example), that just opens up other possibilities, and Brady will see it. The Jets pass rush isn't bad, but Brady should have time (excepting overload or zone blitzes).

With 1 1/2 weeks to prepare, I expect that BB will have a great game plan - coaching edge to Pats.

Its hard to know what to expect for scoring, but I think it will be close, and I think the Pats will win the game.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

Re: Week 13 NFL Picks, and

[QUOTE]Yeah, I worded it wrong.   . No offense, but his troll work is pretty comical. BY the way, who are you kidding trolling here as a Giants fan, too? You have an awfully big mouth to be trolling here as a New Englander and a Giants fan. And a Yankees fan. Pathetic. Are you Adam Sandler?

I've been here over 5 years; as far as pathetic is concerned, more than a thousand biased posts in less than 1 1/2 months makes me think you were looking in the mirror when typing.

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

Rusty - Texas Pat has an agenda with his pats picks.  He never picks the pats in what is expected to be a competitive game.  Sure he picks them when they should blow a team out, but never in competitive games. 

His feeling is that if he undersells his team and they win, then he can say the team has overachieved.  Whereas, if he actually picked the pats and they lost, then he would subject himself to the ridicule of others.  It is blatantly obvious.  Texas Pat doesn't want to put himself out there.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from p-mike. Show p-mike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Week 13 NFL Picks, and "Game of the Week" : I've been here 5 years; as far as pathetic is concerned, a thousand biased posts plus in less than 1 1/2 months makes me think you were looking in the mirror when typing.
    Posted by nhsteven[/QUOTE]

Wait 'til you hear him tell somebody to "get a life" or that they should "get out more.

It's pretty funny.

If the position weren't already filled, I would  nominate Rusty for Duchess of Irony.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Week 13 NFL Picks, and "Game of the Week" : Wait 'til you hear him tell somebody to "get a life" or that they should "get out more. It's pretty funny.
    Posted by p-mike[/QUOTE]

What's he going to have after 5 years? 50K stupid posts, LOL?

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Tex,

Admittedly playing a little devil's advocate here. I am a literature, philosophy,and political-history guy. So I won't pretend to love much about stats, and there is a variously attributed (most think it was one Samuel Langhorne Clemens) saying that goes something like this: "There are three kinds of lies. Lies. Damned lies! And statistics." Which is a saying that is only made more perfect given its unsure provenance.

That said, there is one stat you aren't looking at ... turnover differential. NE is 2nd in the NFL. The Jests are 8th. NE doesn't lose at the Razor. Belichick doesn't lose to the same team twice. Belichick doesn't lose games when he has extra time to prepare. NE needs it more. And all stats can be contextualized, for instance, the Jest defense is 17th in the NFL when you account for the quality of their opposition. And they are poor in the redzone, for whatever reason, whereas quality of opposition metrics only make NE's offense look stronger.

I will say one thing that you wrote, and while I don't care what the fans think, I sincerely hope NE's players realize this as they prepare and play: this game decides whether or not NE has a legitimate title shot. If they are playing in Gillette throughout, they have to be slotted as the favorite. If they are on the road throughout, those odds put them 4th to 6th as favorites in my mind. So, ironically (or not) in order to defend the homestead in January/February they need to defend it in December. Look beyond the Jests ... win out at home, split on the road. NE is in with a snowy slip and slide track to playing in the big game.

Final prediction:

Mark Twain, Tom Brady, and a few interceptions by McCourty take NE over the top.

NE with the points, although the gambler in me would suck-it-up and buy that line back down to 2.5.

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

I can totally see McCourty picking Hair Gel more than once.

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]So you think the Jets win this game by 3 points or more, eh? Duly noted.

The Pats are favored by 3.5 points...not the Jets.

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from BBReigns. Show BBReigns's posts

Got it. I worded it wrong.  I just think it's funny, as a Pats fan, your wagering on the Jets.  Nothing wrong with it, just saying, it has been noted.

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from ATJ. Show ATJ's posts

This will be a tightly contested game.  Like it or not, the Jets have a good football team with a QB who, although not in TB's class, has proven himself adept at coming through in the clutch. 

The Pats offense is generating points, which in the final analysis is what you want an offense to do.  The Pats D has shown itself to be one that will give up yards and, yes, points, but it has also shown itself adept at making big plays when they are needed. 

Pats will cover the spread but barely.  24-20 Pats.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]Before I read his post I knew he'd pick the Jets.  He only has picked the Pats against Detroit, I think. lol

I always pick taking the spread into account. As usual, Russ is wrong: 

1.) I picked the Pats to beat Detroit, giving 7 points. Final: 45-24, Pats; W

2.) I took the Colts, taking 3 points. Final: 31-28, Pats; Tie

3.) I picked the Pats over the Steelers, taking 4.5 points. Final: 39-26, Pats; W

4.) I picked the Pats over Cleveland, giving 7 points. Final 34-14, Browns; L

5.) I picked the Pats over the Vikings, giving 5.5 points. Final: 28-18, Pats; W

6) I picked the Pats over the Chargers, taking 3 points. Final: 23-20, Pats. W

7.) I picked the Ravens over the Pats, taking 3 points. Final: 23-20, Pats; Tie 

8.) I picked the Pats over Miami, giving 1 point. Final: 41-14, Pats; W

9.) I picked the Bills over the Pats, taking 14 points. Final: 38-30, Pats W

10.) I picked the Pats over the Jets, giving 1 point. Final: 28-14, Jets; L

11.) I picked the Bengals, taking 4.5 points, over the Pats. Final: 38-2 Pats:L   

My record on picking Pats' games: Six (6) Wins, Three (3) Losses, two Ties. Hope I'm wrong this week. 

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]Got it. I worded it wrong.  I just think it's funny, as a Pats fan, your wagering on the Jets.  Nothing wrong with it, just saying, it has been noted.

At this rate, you'll be close to 2K posts using this moniker by the end of the day after 6 weeks. And I'm pathetic.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from Rerun85. Show Rerun85's posts

In watching the Jets over the last month and watching the Patriots improve on offense I would say the Pats will score at a much higher rate than we did earlier in the year. The Pats big problem in the 1st game against the Jets was their unwillingness to use the Tight Ends and the short passing game. I'm not a stats guy, I just look at the teams as they match up on the field. This Jets defense isn't as great as I thought when the season started. They are very good but a balanced attack from the Patriots will put points up in the high 20's. I personally am of the opinion that the best defense we have faced so far this year has been the Chargers. they were relentless and faster than any other D we have seen and we moved the ball against them.

That's why I think we win. Our run defense is better than it was earlier in the year; Our running and passing game is better. The jets look about the same. Look for an all out assualt using our tight ends and if the Jets want to rush 3 and drop back into coverage we'll hammer the running game.

If the Pats do win the Chances are they will cover.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from UD6. Show UD6's posts

uh oh TP - Rusty has "noted" that you picked the Jets.  You just made the list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrllCZw8jiM

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from nhsteven. Show nhsteven's posts

[QUOTE]In watching the Jets over the last month and watching the Patriots improve on offense I would say the Pats will score at a much higher rate than we did earlier in the year. The Pats big problem in the 1st game against the Jets was their unwillingness to use the Tight Ends and the short passing game. I'm not a stats guy, I just look at the teams as they match up on the field. This Jets defense isn't as great as I thought when the season started. They are very good but a balanced attack from the Patriots will put points up in the high 20's. I personally am of the opinion that the best defense we have faced so far this year has been the Chargers. they were relentless and faster than any other D we have seen and we moved the ball against them. That's why I think we win. Our run defense is better than it was earlier in the year; Our running and passing game is better. The jets look about the same. Look for an all out assualt using our tight ends and if the Jets want to rush 3 and drop back into coverage we'll hammer the running game. If the Pats do win the Chances are they will cover.
    Posted by Rerun85[/QUOTE]

A reasonable post from a reasonable fan - refreshing.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from gianfran. Show gianfran's posts

You've ignored an important set of stats.  Both teams are 9-2.  However, 5 of the Pat's wins are against teams with winning records while only 2 of the Jet's wins are against teams with winning records. The Jets have only beaten the Pats and the Dolphins while the Pats have beaten the Ravens, Steelers, Dolphins, Colts and Chargers.  The Pat's are statistically a stronger team and should win by a significant margin.  

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from zbellino. Show zbellino's posts

Rusty's going to get Tex up against the wall with all the other un-Patriotic posters. 

Tex, I don't think he gets that you are picking NE to not cover, and you aren't picking the Jets to win outright, although with a spread that small the one might be tantamount to the other. 

Sections
Shortcuts