Week 13 NFL Picks and "Game of the Week"

1. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Week 13 NFL Picks and "Game of the Week"

I can feel the energy level within this forum drained, in the aftermath of the 38-17 debacle in New Orleans. I must confess that the 2009 Patriots' SB prospects do not look good. Still, neither the Colts, Bengals, or Chargers are invincible...and theres' still a lot of football to be played. So...pick your chin up! If the Pats run the table the rest of the way, they can still finish 12-4. 

Here are my picks, with the "Game of the Week" being:

1.) Tennessee Titans (+7) @ Indianapolis Colts: Admittedly, this is a dark horse for "Game of the Week". But, the Titans have been playing great ball of late...having won their last 5 games in a row. A win this week over Indy might propel the (5-6) Titans to a position to challenge for a wild card birth. For some reason, Indy seems to play better on the road, they they do at home. Though they'll get their usual preferential treatment from the referees, they may have trouble with the Vince Young Titans:
    PICK: Titans;

2.) NY Jets @ Buffalo Bills (+3): Who knows whats' going on with these teams. look for both teams to keep the ball on the ground, in what should be a rather dull, low scoring game:
    PICK: Bills;

3.) Denver Broncos @ Kansas City Chiefs (+4.5): The Chiefs were ripped to shreds last week by the Chargers. The Broncos appear to have righted their ship, now that QB Kyle Orton has returned to good health:
    PICK: Broncos;

4.) Oakland Raiders (+6.5) @ Pittsburgh Steelers: The Steelers must have this one. With QB Ben Roethlisberger likely returning to action, the Raiders should be easy pickings:
    PICK: Steelers;

5.) Houston Texans @ Jacksonville Jaguars (PK): Both teams need this one to hold onto their sagging playoff hopes. The Jags beat the Texans in Houston earlier in the year. They'll do it again:
    PICK: Jaguars;

6.) Philadelphia Eagles @ Atlanta Falcons (+5.5): Injuries to QB Matt Ryan and to RB Michael Turner are just too much to overcome:
    PICK: Eagles;

7.) Detroit Lions (+13) @ Cincinnati Bengals: The Bengals draw a second bye week, with a match with the injury depleted Dandelions:
    PICK: Bengals;

8.) New Orleans Saints @ Washington Redskins (+9.5): 
    Though the 'Skins have been playing pretty well of late, injuries are catching up to them...as DT Albert Haynesworth and RB Clinton Portis likely won't be around when the Saints come marchin' in:
    PICK: Saints;

9.) Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+6) @ Carolina Panthers: Jake DelHomme will miss this game due to injury. For that reason, I'm tempted to take the Panthers. But, since Tampa has been respectable of late...:
    PICK: Buccaneers;

10.) St. Louis Rams (+8.5) @ Chicago Bears:
    The Bears are a mess. But, the Rams are in shambles:
    PICK: Bears;

11.) San Diego Chargers @ Cleveland Browns (+13): With the toughest part of their schedule over, the Bolts have been running roughshod over luke-warm competition. Nonetheless, their playing great football right now:
    PICK: Chargers;

12.) San Francisco 49ers @ Seattle Seahawks (PK): A tough one to call. But, the 49ers still have an outside shot at the playoffs:
    PICK: 49ers;

13.) Minnesota Vikings @ Arizona Cardinals (+5): Kurt Warner is still seeing stars from a hit he took two weeks ago. The Vikings aren't the Saints...but they're an elite team:
    PICK: Vikings;

14.) Dallas Cowboys @ NY Giants (+2): The Giants have played their last 5 games the way the Patriots played in New Orleans. Dallas isn't an elite team, but they should be good enough to put the Giants out of their misery:
    PICK: Cowboys;

15.) New England Patriots @ Miami Dolphins (+4.5): The Patriots don't lose two games in a row...even if both games are played on the road. They'll take out their frustrations on Dolphins:
    PICK: Patriots;

16.) Baltimore Ravens (+3) @ Green Bay Packers: The Ravens needed to go to overtime at home to hold off the Dennis Dixon led, Troy Polamalu-less Steelers. The Packers are currently playing their best ball of the season:
    PICK: Packers.

BEST BETS: Patriots, Cowboys, Chargers, Steelers.

Thoughts?   

2. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

Re: Week 13 NFL Picks and "Game of the Week"

I always enjoy this thread, and almost made it all the way through this one without the cynical chuckle that generally acompanies me when I read this board. Then you had to go and throw in that line about how "the Packers are currently playing their best ball of the season." Playing in the NFC Norris, where sooner or later fate must serve up the Lions, will do that for you.

3. You have chosen to ignore posts from MarcW1. Show MarcW1's posts

The once down & out Titans are no longer sneaking up anyone.  The NFL has caught whiff that Vince Young has his mojo back.  I think the Colts beat the Titans.

Everything else...  Agreed.  Pats beat the Phins by 13.

4. You have chosen to ignore posts from perfect72. Show perfect72's posts

Yes the Dolphins stink but the Pats aren't much better folks. Let's face the facts the Pats haven't won a road game this year. No defense. Miami played them tough in Foxboro. This isn't the Patriots team of the past especially that secondary that is just aweful.

5. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

In Response to Re: Week 13 NFL Picks and "Game of the Week":
    [QUOTE]Yes the Dolphins stink but the Pats aren't much better folks. Let's face the facts the Pats haven't won a road game this year. No defense. Miami played them tough in Foxboro. This isn't the Patriots team of the past especially that secondary that is just aweful.
    Posted by perfect72[/QUOTE]

Perfect One:

The Dolphins got blown out last week in a must win game by the Bills. The Pats got blown out in an important game by the best team in the NFL. Sorry, but don't try to equate your stinky fish with our somewhat tattered boys in red, white, and blue. 

6. You have chosen to ignore posts from jbolted. Show jbolted's posts

1.) Tennessee Titans (+7) @ Indianapolis Colts: As much as I’d like to pick the Titans, I can’t. TEN has scored 20 the past 2 weeks and don’t think that’s enough to keep up with INDY @ home. PICK: Colts;

2.) NY Jets @ Buffalo Bills (+3): The Jets barely have the ability to win @ home so its out of the question on the road and Fitz is playing well for BUF PICK: Bills;
     3.) Denver Broncos @ Kansas City Chiefs (+4.5): I want the Chefs to win. They don’t quit, its just the fact that they aren’t that good. Sidenote: DEN will not make the playoffs again. PICK: Broncos;

4.) Oakland Raiders (+6.5) @ Pittsburgh Steelers: Raiders should quit right before halftime PICK: Steelers;

5.) Houston Texans @ Jacksonville Jaguars (PK): I like HOU in this one. JAX up & down style will not have them in the playoffs PICK: Texans;

6.) Philadelphia Eagles @ Atlanta Falcons (+5.5): Iggles still can win the NFC east in my book PICK: Eagles;

7.) Detroit Lions (+13) @ Cincinnati Bengals: 40-10 PICK: Bengals;

8.) New Orleans Saints @ Washington Redskins (+9.5): I cant pick against NO until they face SD in the SB PICK: Saints;

9.) Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+6) @ Carolina Panthers: I’ll take the Panthers at home PICK: Panthers;

10.) St. Louis Rams (+8.5) @ Chicago Bears: Too many points for Cutler. He will out football in 3-4 years & will go down as the worst trade ever PICK: Rams;

11.) San Diego Chargers @ Cleveland Browns (+13): SD will rush for 160 as LT passes the great Jim Brown on the all time rushing yardage list. SD is a better fit against NO or INDY than NE. PICK: Chargers;

12.) San Francisco 49ers @ Seattle Seahawks (PK): 9ers pull out a win in the closing seconds PICK: 49ers;

13.) Minnesota Vikings @ Arizona Cardinals (+5): I would pick AZ if they didn’t lay a clunker last week. PICK: Vikings;

14.) Dallas Cowboys @ NY Giants (+2): One question: should Coughlin get canned? I think so. PICK: Giants;

15.) New England Patriots @ Miami Dolphins (+4.5): The worst defensive performance over the past 10 years by the Pats was pathetic. The DBs are ordinary and that’s being positive. Miami threw 4 pix last week. Going against the deflated NE defensive backfield should remedy that.   PICK: Fish;

16.) Baltimore Ravens (+3) @ Green Bay Packers: 
    I have BAL making the playoffs, so……..PICK: Ravens.

BEST BETS: Chargers, Steelers, Bills

7. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]The once down & out Titans are no longer sneaking up anyone.  The NFL has caught whiff that Vince Young has his mojo back.  I think the Colts beat the Titans. Everything else...  Agreed.  Pats beat the Phins by 13.
    Posted by MarcW1[/QUOTE]

Remember, its' the Titans, plus 7 points.

8. You have chosen to ignore posts from Jimmy42Jack0. Show Jimmy42Jack0's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Week 13 NFL Picks and "Game of the Week" :      Perfect One:      The Dolphins got blown out last week in a must win game by the Bills. The Pats got blown out in an important game by the best team in the NFL. Sorry, but don't try to equate your stinky fish with our somewhat tattered boys in red, white, and blue. 
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]
    for a must win game...things are exactly the same as this time last week...two games back...win on sunday and the pats are sweating big time

9. You have chosen to ignore posts from CubanPete. Show CubanPete's posts

[QUOTE]Yes the Dolphins stink but the Pats aren't much better folks. Let's face the facts the Pats haven't won a road game this year. No defense. Miami played them tough in Foxboro. This isn't the Patriots team of the past especially that secondary that is just aweful.
    Posted by perfect72[/QUOTE]

As down as I'm am on the Pats, all their road losses were against good teams. Yes, that includes the Jets on week 2 before their slew of injuries. As disappointing as the '09 Pats have been, at least they haven't shown that they will lose to weak or medicore teams. Miami is one of those types of teams.

Pats will win. Plus, BB has a motivational tool to keep his team sharp: the doghouse where no player wants to wind up.

10. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Week 13 NFL Picks and "Game of the Week" : As down as I'm am on the Pats, all their road losses were against good teams. Yes, that includes the Jets on week 2 before their slew of injuries. As disappointing as the '09 Pats have been, at least they haven't shown that they will lose to weak or medicore teams. Miami is one of those types of teams. Pats will win. 
    Posted by CubanPete[/QUOTE]

Amen, oh wise one. 

11. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

Last week, 1-4 record on large calls and 2-0 on small calls (season:  16-19 on large games and 11-10 on small calls).  At least as far as point spreads go, the forecasts just aren’t producing anything useful, not even much of a contrarian signal.  I’m calling off any more predictions against the spread.  The stats can’t beat the bookies.  I’m signing off on this thread.

I still like my power rankings better than I like certain national sportswriters who pretty much use a team’s win-loss record and call it a power ranking.  I can read the NFL standings myself without the columnist.  My power rankings are elsewhere.

Yes, pick your chins up.  The Pats were acting like a team that played a nonconference game sandwiched between two critical division games.  BB was acting like his usual high-gambling self, for what that's worth.

12. You have chosen to ignore posts from prairiemike. Show prairiemike's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Week 13 NFL Picks and "Game of the Week" :      Mike, when I made that comment about the (7-4) Packers, I was thinking more in terms of their impressive win over the NFC East leading Dallas Cowboys, on the Sunday before the Pack beat the Lions on Thanksgiving Day. The Packers steamrolled the Cowboys, 17-7. in a game where their defense totally shut down the Cowboys' offense. It also appears that the Packers' OL  is finally giving Aaron Rodgers some time to throw.      As for the argument that the Packers play in the supposedly weak "NFC Norris", the (10-1) Minnesota Vikings also play in that division...and have handed the Packers 2 of their 4 losses.   
    Posted by TexasPat3[/QUOTE]

You mean those same vaunted Cowboys who piled up an astronomical seven points against the mighty Washington Redskins?

Yes, very impressive.

And the Norris is weak. Maybe not as weak as the NFC Worst, but pretty damn bad just the same. What would you say if I asked you to name the best team those ferocious 10-1 Vikings have beaten? Green Bay? Baltimore (barely)? San Francisco (barely)? I'm probably biased against the Norris because I suffer the misfortune of living within its boundaries while not being a fan of any of its denizens -- but my point was, if I remember correctly, that the Packers stink, and claiming that they don't stink because the Vikings beat them is . . .

Well . . .   I'm not sure what it is, but it sure as hell doesn't make any sense.

13. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Week 13 NFL Picks and "Game of the Week" : You mean those same vaunted Cowboys who piled up an astronomical seven points against the mighty Washington Redskins? Yes, very impressive.

RESPONSE: The 'Skins' offense is offensive. But they have a solid defense. Is the NFC East a "weak division" in your opinion, too?   

And the Norris is weak. Maybe not as weak as the NFC Worst, but pretty damn bad just the same. What would you say if I asked you to name the best team those ferocious 10-1 Vikings have beaten? Green Bay? Baltimore (barely)? San Francisco (barely)?

RESPONSE: Who have the Patriots beaten?

I'm probably biased against the Norris because I suffer the misfortune of living within its boundaries while not being a fan of any of its denizens -- but my point was, if I remember correctly, that the Packers stink, and claiming that they don't stink because the Vikings beat them is . . . Well . . .   I'm not sure what it is, but it sure as hell doesn't make any sense.

RESPONSE: The problem with the Packers stems from their OL, which has been riddled with injuries. QB Aaron Rodgers has already been sacked 47 times. But, in the past several games, the Packers' OL has gotten better...as has their young 3-4 defense, which appears to be jelling.    

Posted by prairiemike[/QUOTE]

14. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Come on guys...lighten up! Even Patriot hater Mike Florio is not writing off the Pats: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/02/mostly-healthy-pats-plan-to-try-to-right-the-ship/

15. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Dolphins/Sparano pulling out all the stops to beat Pats: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/story/1362901.html

16. You have chosen to ignore posts from DBAZ22. Show DBAZ22's posts

TP love the Titans pick, and I think they will win that one outright.  A steady diet of Chris Johnson, mistake-free VY, and a solid D will be the difference.  There is no dominant team in the AFC, and it could be the hot team going into the playoffs this year, like it has for a number of teams in recent years.  Things get a little tougher for SD and Cincy after the two creampuffs they play this week. 

17. You have chosen to ignore posts from Marcus1973. Show Marcus1973's posts

Here are predictions for this week including game of the week, upset of the week and lock of the week. http://www.easternmainesportsblog.com/2009/12/nfl-predictions-week-13.html

18. You have chosen to ignore posts from FOWLER8196. Show FOWLER8196's posts

i realize that the pats just played one of their worst games in the past few years, but how can you take miami over new england?  they can watch all the Saints film they want, the fact of the matter is that miami doesnt have the same personnel NO does.  not to mention the patriots are fired up and realize that this is a critical game.  i take NE hands down.

19. You have chosen to ignore posts from TrueChamp. Show TrueChamp's posts

" I can feel the energy level within this forum drained, in the aftermath of the 38-17 debacle in New Orleans. I must confess that the 2009 Patriots' SB prospects do not look good."

I disagree Tex, We are still a great offense just having some problems with consistent play calling. Our defense is obviously having problems but have shown they can buckle down and play well. Of course they have not played well against Peyton or Brees but then again who has?

Remember we are still the team to beat in this league. We are the team that has set the bar in the NFL for the past decade. Even good teams like the Colts and Saints treat a match with us as there superbowl. I think a loss like the one against the Saints will do nothing but help us. We have the talent we just need to tie everything together.

20. You have chosen to ignore posts from Marcus1973. Show Marcus1973's posts

The Patriots usually have quite a bit of trouble in Miami and this will most likely be no different. I believe even if the Patriots win it will be a very close game. The short week and it being on the road are the main reasons for that. The Pats have to play a good game on the road before I believe that they can.

21. You have chosen to ignore posts from gmbill. Show gmbill's posts

1.) Tennessee Titans (+7) @ Indianapolis Colts: Admittedly, this is a dark horse for "Game of the Week". But, the Titans have been playing great ball of late...having won their last 5 games in a row. A win this week over Indy might propel the (5-6) Titans to a position to challenge for a wild card birth. For some reason, Indy seems to play better on the road, they they do at home. Though they'll get their usual preferential treatment from the referees, they may have trouble with the Vince Young Titans: Win out, Vince is on a roll
    PICK: Titans;

2.) NY Jets @ Buffalo Bills (+3): Who knows whats' going on with these teams. look for both teams to keep the ball on the ground, in what should be a rather dull, low scoring game:
    PICK: Bills;

3.) Denver Broncos @ Kansas City Chiefs (+4.5): The Chiefs were ripped to shreds last week by the Chargers. The Broncos appear to have righted their ship, now that QB Kyle Orton has returned to good health:
    PICK: Broncos; have it

4.) Oakland Raiders (+6.5) @ Pittsburgh Steelers: The Steelers must have this one. With QB Ben Roethlisberger likely returning to action, the Raiders should be easy pickings:
    PICK: Steelers; take an easy one, if not..OMG

5.) Houston Texans @ Jacksonville Jaguars (PK): Both teams need this one to hold onto their sagging playoff hopes. The Jags beat the Texans in Houston earlier in the year. They'll do it again:
    PICK:  Texans

6.) Philadelphia Eagles @ Atlanta Falcons (+5.5): Injuries to QB Matt Ryan and to RB Michael Turner are just too much to overcome:
    PICK: Eagles;

7.) Detroit Lions (+13) @ Cincinnati Bengals: The Bengals draw a second bye week, with a match with the injury depleted Dandelions:
    PICK: Bengals; win easy

8.) New Orleans Saints @ Washington Redskins (+9.5): 
    Though the 'Skins have been playing pretty well of late, injuries are catching up to them...as DT Albert Haynesworth and RB Clinton Portis likely won't be around when the Saints come marchin' in:
    PICK: Saints; they are good

9.) Tampa Bay Buccaneers (+6) @ Carolina Panthers: Jake DelHomme will miss this game due to injury. For that reason, I'm tempted to take the Panthers. But, since Tampa has been respectable of late...:
    PICK: Buccaneers;

10.) St. Louis Rams (+8.5) @ Chicago Bears:
    The Bears are a mess. But, the Rams are in shambles:
    PICK: Bears; though Jay scares me

11.) San Diego Chargers @ Cleveland Browns (+13): With the toughest part of their schedule over, the Bolts have been running roughshod over luke-warm competition. Nonetheless, their playing great football right now:
    PICK: Chargers; as much as I hate it...easy game

12.) San Francisco 49ers @ Seattle Seahawks (PK): A tough one to call. But, the 49ers still have an outside shot at the playoffs:
    PICK: 49ers;

13.) Minnesota Vikings @ Arizona Cardinals (+5): Kurt Warner is still seeing stars from a hit he took two weeks ago. The Vikings aren't the Saints...but they're an elite team:
    PICK: Vikings; Defense is tough

14.) Dallas Cowboys @ NY Giants (+2): The Giants have played their last 5 games the way the Patriots played in New Orleans. Dallas isn't an elite team, but they should be good enough to put the Giants out of their misery:
    PICK: Giants, but only because Cowboys give it away

15.) New England Patriots @ Miami Dolphins (+4.5): The Patriots don't lose two games in a row...even if both games are played on the road. They'll take out their frustrations on Dolphins:
    PICK: Patriots; tough game but a win

16.) Baltimore Ravens (+3) @ Green Bay Packers: The Ravens needed to go to overtime at home to hold off the Dennis Dixon led, Troy Polamalu-less Steelers. The Packers are currently playing their best ball of the season:
    PICK: Ravens..in a tough game
         BEST BETS: Patriots, Cowboys(lose), Chargers, Steelers.

22. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

[QUOTE]   " I can feel the energy level within this forum drained, in the aftermath of the 38-17 debacle in New Orleans. I must confess that the 2009 Patriots' SB prospects do not look good." I disagree Tex, We are still a great offense just having some problems with consistent play calling.

RESPONSE: Disagree about the play calling being the main problem. As I see it, its' the OL's inability to deal with edge pass-rushers...and the fact that this group is a finesse unit, that is mediocre at best at run blocking.

Our defense is obviously having problems but have shown they can buckle down and play well. Of course they have not played well against Peyton or Brees but then again who has?

RESPONSE: Brady is every bit as good as Manning and Brees. The difference between their teams is that trhe Saints and Colts have good edge rushes, while the Pats do not.

Remember we are still the team to beat in this league. We are the team that has set the bar in the NFL for the past decade. Even good teams like the Colts and Saints treat a match with us as there superbowl. I think a loss like the one against the Saints will do nothing but help us. We have the talent we just need to tie everything together.

RESPONSE: I disagree. The Pats are a cut below the Saints and Colts because they can't rush the passer.

Posted by TrueChamp[/QUOTE]

23. You have chosen to ignore posts from Paul_K. Show Paul_K's posts

This system uses my revamped fourth quarter point scoring.  In theory it should be better than the previous system from weeks 5 through 12.  As always, a system is nothing without reading the news, the weather, the injury reports, and trends such as home underdogs and huge point spread underdogs.  At its best, a statistical system only gives useful gleanings that must be combined with other info.

I like my system in theory better than anything out there.  Let’s see what happens in practice.  I post this prediction for my own honesty.  That’s how mediocre statistical systems get better, through humble pie.

Visitor / home / My spread / vegas spread / difference / my forecast

oak      pit            15.4            6.5            8.9  large toward Pittsburgh to blowout

phi        atl            0.4            -5.5            5.9  large for Atlanta to cover

ten        ind            11.5            7            4.5 large for Tennessee to cover

sd         cle            -6.5            -13            6.5 large for Cleveland to cover

hou       jac            -3.5            0            -3.5  small for houston

min       az            -2.7            -5            2.3  small for Arizona to cover

dal        nyg            0.6            -2            2.6  small for the Giants

ne         mia            -3.9            -4.5            0.6   pick ‘em versus the spread.  However, since I’m hearing Miami fan complaints about Miami lately missing Jason Ferguson and half of Joey Porter (lingering groin pull or hammy?), also QB Chad Pennington and RB Ronnie Brown, and I’m aware of a bunch of Patriots getting better (Sammy Morris shaking off rust, O-linemen), I will lean small toward the Patriots.

24. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Just a couple of tidbits:

1.) Has Mike Florio watched the Patriots play this season? If he had, he would know that the Pats' were getting first round production out of second round pick, Sebastien Vollmer, until Sea-Bass suffered a concussion. Florio had this to say about Vollmer and the Pats' OL:

"...tackle Sebastian Vollmer, cornerback Shawn Springs, and running back Fred Taylor will not play. Vollmer has been suffering from a concussion, and the offensive line has been suffering with the rookie, who grabbed hold of the starting job after Matt Light was injured..."

I guess for Florio, being glib takes priority over being factual.

2.) Did any of you catch this during the Colts/Texans game? The Texans were up, 20-7, Peyton Manning had thrown 2 interceptions, and was clearly struggling, announcer Dan Dierdorff commented that Matt Schaub and Manning were elite QBs, but Schaub had more weapons to work with than Peyton.

Do you believe it? Gag me with a spoon.

25. You have chosen to ignore posts from TexasPat3. Show TexasPat3's posts

Speaking again of Mike Florio, now he's saying that maybe the Pats pulled Tom Brady out of the Saints game with more than 6 minutes left because he was hurt. He's basing this on the odd occurrence of BB doing such a thing, and because of the way the oddsmakers are treating the Pats/Dolphins game. According to Florio, the game has been allegedly taken off the board in some places...and that the spread has dipped from 4.5 to 3 points. Florio speculates that the oddsmakers have some inside information: http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/12/06/theres-something-fishy-about-the-pats-fins-game/

Sections
Shortcuts